Whinge on hands in back rule

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Whinge on hands in back rule

Post by paddyl90 »

WORST RULE EVER!!!!!

WHY DONT WE JUST LET THE OPPONENT JUST JUMP UP AND GRAB THE BALL

IT'S A JOKE AND ITS RUINING OUR GAME.

BUT....

MAY FAVOUR LLOYD :P

ATM IT IS TERRIBLE :evil:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I have little respect for Robert Walls, but he did make the comment that Mal Michael plays from behind almost every time and will be in trouble under this new interpretation unless he adapts appropriately. He's got a point; Michael's already been pinged with hands in the back a few times up to half time.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Gayest pre season rule ever. This one isn't standing for the season, is it?

Fevs certainly knows how to play it.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
RAMS
Top Up Player

Post by RAMS »

Yep - It's in all year.They didn't even trial it last year.
The Rules Committee is a waste of time and seem to make decisions simply to justify their existence(and probably salaries)
Save me Jebus!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

RAMS wrote:Yep - It's in all year.They didn't even trial it last year.
The Rules Committee is a waste of time and seem to make decisions simply to justify their existence(and probably salaries)
The most accurate statement ever regarding the rules committee. Pack of F wits - all of them.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Shit rule.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Does the committee have the balls to turn around after this weekend or next weekend and scrap the idea?
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

If you play in the backline you are officially screwed.

Theres no way to spoil and theres no way to make body contact.

They have destroyed the game Aussie rules.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

This rule has been in place for 35 years, its just that its only now going to be enforced.

Maybe if our players kicked the ball long to the forward line we may have a chance of being rewarded by it?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

My gibe is that in the first quarter they paid it, then the whistles went away.

We didn't adapt to the whistle happy umpires at all. We had a chance to milk some of our own love from the umpires and missed the boat.

The delivery into our forward line was mostly to blame, but when we had a 50/50 chance, instead of getting in front we played them on the side or tried to take a hanger.

Is Dean Wallis the forward coach this year?? Might need to look at his tapes from tonights game for a refresher.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Why don't the umpires grow some balls, and stand up to this rules committe. I boycott would be great. Just call it the way it is supposed to be called. The way the FANS WANT IT!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

When it was first announced that this was going to be a new rule I was livid. Now that I have seen it, they can all get f*****! If this is what I'm going to watch week in and week out, year after year, I may get that disallusioned and walk away from the game. Meanwhile we will see the usual gutless keepings off tactic employed during matches, yet the rules committee still haven't committed to the "play on" rule when a player kicks backwards outside their forward 50.

.....And by the way, it's obvious that it is just a "hands in the back rule" and not a "push in the back rule", then how does one grab a player on the ground and appeal for a holding the ball free kick? To do so, you have to grab the player's jumper (his back) to do so......SO THAT'S A FREE KICK!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:When it was first announced that this was going to be a new rule I was livid. Now that I have seen it, they can all get f*****! If this is what I'm going to watch week in and week out, year after year, I may get that disallusioned and walk away from the game. Meanwhile we will see the usual gutless keepings off tactic employed during matches, yet the rules committee still haven't committed to the "play on" rule when a player kicks backwards outside their forward 50.

.....And by the way, it's obvious that it is just a "hands in the back rule" and not a "push in the back rule", then how does one grab a player on the ground and appeal for a holding the ball free kick? To do so, you have to grab the player's jumper (his back) to do so......SO THAT'S A FREE KICK!
Fellas, it is time.

JUMP ON THE MELBOURNE VICTORY BANDWAGON, it is stopping for some extras if needed. All I do now is watch Essendon and no one else, which means my footy tipping will turn to shit. But I will go every week and follow the Victory because the way I see it, its more physical than Aussie Rules.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

The idea of the rule isn't all that bad. The way i see it though, when a defender is jumping from behind to spoil, it's an automatic action to punch with one hand and put the other up for balance. Fletch and Michael made indiscriminate contact on two occasions and were pinged for it, thats where it went completely over the top. With this new rule plus the introduction of the chopping of the arms last year, i certaintly wouldnt want to be a defender these days.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:When it was first announced that this was going to be a new rule I was livid. Now that I have seen it, they can all get f*****! If this is what I'm going to watch week in and week out, year after year, I may get that disallusioned and walk away from the game. Meanwhile we will see the usual gutless keepings off tactic employed during matches, yet the rules committee still haven't committed to the "play on" rule when a player kicks backwards outside their forward 50.

Fellas, it is time.

JUMP ON THE MELBOURNE VICTORY BANDWAGON, it is stopping for some extras if needed. All I do now is watch Essendon and no one else, which means my footy tipping will turn to shit. But I will go every week and follow the Victory because the way I see it, its more physical than Aussie Rules.
Thats what I'm afraid of.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

If I may make one comment here....
Sure a couple of the decisions (against EFC) were dicey, however the rule applies to everyone so it's up to us to make the most of it - or at least to adjust to it. If EFC can't adjust as well as everyone else then we're a poor club.
What I'd really like to see is M Lloyd going back to his halcyon days when he lead like a full foward instead of trying to prove he's the "velvet sledgehammer", and then, maybe, he'd get the advantage of this "new" rule, just as Fevola did. So far, based on the Carlton game, I'd have to say Fevola is a better full forward than Matty. Ouch!!
It's very simple - the rules are the rules and everyone has to play by them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:If I may make one comment here....
Sure a couple of the decisions (against EFC) were dicey, however the rule applies to everyone so it's up to us to make the most of it - or at least to adjust to it. If EFC can't adjust as well as everyone else then we're a poor club.
What I'd really like to see is M Lloyd going back to his halcyon days when he lead like a full foward instead of trying to prove he's the "velvet sledgehammer", and then, maybe, he'd get the advantage of this "new" rule, just as Fevola did. So far, based on the Carlton game, I'd have to say Fevola is a better full forward than Matty. Ouch!!
It's very simple - the rules are the rules and everyone has to play by them.
Whichever way you look at it, from whichever club you barrack, it is SHIT !!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It's just too inconsistent and I'm sure that even the umpires are confused by it.

Lloyd missed out on a blatant one last night and about 30 seconds later gave Glass a very nice nudge and yet got away with it with the umpire only 10-15m away.

And why don't they call it at the boundary line throw ins?

The number of times there was clear contact to the back last night and yet nothing paid was bizarre.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

It will be exactly the same as last year with the chopping of the arms rule, the umps will go mental on it for the Wizard Cup and then the first 3-4 weeks of the regular season and then the players will adapt to a degree and the AFL and Umps will find another intepretation to focus on and it will not be a major issue for the rest of the season.

Like I said last year it was the chopping of arms
The year before that they cracked down on holding the ball.

There is pretty much something major they focus on at the start of the season that the unps go overboard on for the majority pre-season and the first few weeks of the season and then it dies down again.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Someone I know has said in regards to their own upcoming footy season...

"An interesting point was raised by the coaches at my club down here on the weekend - make the effort to back back into a pack! Even if you don't think it's worth it (i.e. you're no chance to mark it), if you back into the pack strongly, there's a very good chance someone will put his hands on your back and you'll get a free for it. While it's using the new rule to possibly good effect, it's a total piece of garbage in the sense that players don't even need to make a concerted effort to go for the ball while backing back, they just have to do it confidently enough to make a player put his hands up and bingo, there's the free."

Marvellous! Welcome to the real world.....