Time to DO something

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Time to DO something

Post by Sismis »

Gyoza posted this link in the "Hird SACKED" thread but I think it needs a bit more attention.

A group of members is trying to call an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) to vote on a number of issues relating both to Hird as coach as well as providing the members with details of what has, up until now, been witheld.

Further details published in the Hun today: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 7078164665

Here is a summary of the resolutions.

1. Retain Hird as Coach until October next year unless the members decide to vote him out in a subsequent general meeting.

2. Hird to provide details of the "threats and duress" he was under to induce him to settle.

3. An independent investigation into the whole sorry saga to be presented to the members.

4. Allows for any constitutional changes required to make to above possible.

If you are an Essendon member with voting rights (this includes AFL club support) and are over 18 you are eligible to assist in making this happen.

You need to go to this dropbox, download the letter and return it to the address provided.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7858bekk43p ... zWqJa?dl=0

I for one am sick of this behind closed doors crap. I cannot believe we are considering sacking a coach for exercising his legal rights. It is time for the members to learn the truth so we can make an informed choice about how to go forward.

Further details https://twitter.com/standbyhird
mdso
Club Captain

Re: Time to DO something

Post by mdso »

Its a start to get some answers and to decide if the Board ARE acting in the best interests of the players, the club, staff, members and supporters.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Also if you are in Melbourne you can get in on this:

Hi, I'm a journalist at the Herald Sun looking for some Bombers fans to be photographed for the paper in Melbourne this afternoon, and to speak about their thoughts on Hird and him potentially being sacked by the club.
Anyone who is interested, please email samantha.landy@news.com.au
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

meh.

Give us Bomber as head coach and hird can be the assistant.

I enjoyed Bombers pressers more and I think he is just as good if not better coach.

Hirdy just needs to get a forum to completely explain himself, his actions in 2012. Forget ASADA. Everyone knows it was a shitfight of an investigation. Players just want to move on. Let em.

I don't get the fight Hird is fighting by appealing. Why fight the establishment now? If he wants to make a difference in that regard, retire and turn to politics. Otherwise lets just trust the process that is there.

The players I feel are not going to get screwed here. If they do, I think there will be an outcry.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm a bit hesitant for a number of reasons;

1. I'm all for Hird pursuing justice and getting to the truth. I want him to do this, and I hope he is vindicated. The issue I have is this, can he do this while concentrating on his role as coach? It's not just the matter of the appeal, it's the attack dogs that will constantly bombard him and the club beyond that.

2. Do the players fully support him like they did last year? I get a feeling they are tired of all this crap and just wish to go about their business in peace and quiet. Will they get that if Hird is coach? I doubt it. And the players are the biggest key in this scenario. If they support Bomber more, it makes it difficult for the board to allow Hird to coach. I haven't heard one positive endorsement from any of the leaders. That's a worry. If the players really want Hird, they would rally the board.

3. I would rather him step away and go full throttle at everyone involved in this saga - including the media. If it takes two years to get all the shit out and clear his name, then let it take two years. But he won't be able to do this while coach. IMO, he probably needs to take on a number of individuals (Clothier, Demetriou, Fitzpatrick etc), and WIN, before being accepted back. It should be his mission, and we know he'll go at it with all the hardness he had as a player.

4. Once he's gone hard on clearing his name, he should be able to walk back into the club with head held high. The media won't be able to say "what about the time he....", as all that shit would have been sorted one one or another.

It's unfair. It's bullying. And it's bullshit. But that the mafia style media we have. They are just "hit men" for the AFL. The propaganda machine.

So, unless the players are rock solid on Hird, I doubt he has a chance to be honest.

That said, I could be completely wrong about the situation.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

This is the full letter. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Dear Members

NOTICE TO REQUISITION A GENERAL MEETING
The decision-making of the Board of the Club has for almost two years been highly questionable.
The continuing controversy today around the appointment of James Hird as Senior Coach is only the latest in a series of events that have brought the Club to the weakest point in its history.
Simply put, the Club is being led by a Board that has never adequately stood up for the rights of the Club, or for the values that the Club stands for.
A notice will be circulated after the board meeting today to allow members to intervene in these events, by requiring the Club to convene an
Extraordinary General Meeting.

The objectives of the meeting are to achieve the following:
1 To have James Hird continue as Senior Coach of the Club until members can receive a full report on the events of the last two years and deliberate themselves on his future; and
2 To have a full and independent review of these events conducted by an outside expert in whom all members can have confidence. Such a review will not only give the Club the finality it needs but will do so on a firm and honest footing that is worthy of the Club and its members.
This document has been prepared after consultation with other members of the Club and is circulated with their support. The meeting is intended to give every member the opportunity to be heard on these significant issues confronting the Club and its future.
All members are requested to read and consider the notice carefully. If you want your views on these matters to be heard, it is important that you sign and complete the form in the manner indicated as soon as possible and by no later than next Wednesday, 8 October 2014.

Background to the resolutions
In the greatest crisis in the Club’s 144 year history, the Board has to this day never provided its members and supporters with a single narrative explaining the Club’s position. On all of the key points, the Board has remained silent for almost two years, refusing to explain the Club’s activities in 2012 and 2013.

Moreover, the Board has refused to allow others to tell their side of the story
The refusal by the Board to defend the Club over those events – or allow others to defend themselves – has permitted others to fill the vacuum with leaks, misinformation and invective with the intention of damaging the Club.
That campaign against the Club has succeeded. Not once, but twice.
Last year, the Board capitulated to accept the harshest penalties ever handed out in Australian sport. They were imposed over a program that we are now told did not involve illegal substances, was not harmful to the players, and whose governance shortcomings were matched in at least eleven other clubs.

Now, the Board seems set to repeat the mistakes it made last year. Once again, it has succumbed to a relentless outside media campaign for the Club to abandon its rights, in the hope that doing so will allow the Club to ‘move on’.
That hope is as misguided today as it was when the Board fell for the same tactic last August.

The Club will never be able to move on until it finally confronts the truth of events that have only been the subject of speculation to outsiders. This has always been the source of the Club’s weakness, and the Board has no-one to blame but itself for the problems that policy has caused.
The resolutions in the accompanying notice are intended to reverse that ill-advised policy and put the Club on sound and stable footing for the future. That requires the Club be transparent and honest about the events of the past years. The mechanism to achieve this is by appointing a retired Supreme Court judge or leading Queens Counsel to investigate the material events of the supplements program and its fallout, and give a frank and fearless report of their findings to the members.

This can be achieved expeditiously. The resolution calls for a report to be delivered by 31 January, well before the commencement of next year’s season. This is what is finally needed to allow the Club the fresh start that it needs, so that it can concentrate once again on football.

The need for a separate EGM

The Club’s annual general meeting is due to take place in a few months. There are two good reasons for calling this separate meeting.
First, the matters are too important not to be the subject of serious and detailed consideration by members. The AGM has important business of its own that needs members’ full attention. Rolling the proposed resolutions in with the business of the AGM would deprive members of the chance to consider these issues properly. This is a legally recognised basis for having separate meetings, even when they are to be held in close proximity.
Second, this meeting will help members clarify the position of people who will soon stand for election to the Board. These elections will be held at the AGM. Members should be able to make their decision with the benefit of knowing where the directors stand on the issues raised in this letter.
You have a crucial say in determining how the Club moves forward
We are all united in our support of the Club. Nothing in calling for this meeting divides us on that. The Board however is not the Club. They are individuals who have opinions on what actions the Club should take. These opinions can and should be the subject of discussion and input from the membership, particularly on matters of this importance.
This is not a referendum on James Hird or Mark Thompson. It is a challenge to the culture of the ‘quick and easy fix’ that the Board has pursued for two years, with such disastrous consequences to the Club’s competitive position, its coaching arrangements, its playing list, and the Club’s very reputation.
Under the Constitution of the Club, each member’s vote is of equal importance. To ensure your views on these issues are represented to the Board, please complete and return the accompanying Notice as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely
Jackson Taylor Requisition Organiser
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

BenDoolan wrote:I'm a bit hesitant for a number of reasons;

1. I'm all for Hird pursuing justice and getting to the truth. I want him to do this, and I hope he is vindicated. The issue I have is this, can he do this while concentrating on his role as coach? It's not just the matter of the appeal, it's the attack dogs that will constantly bombard him and the club beyond that.

2. Do the players fully support him like they did last year? I get a feeling they are tired of all this crap and just wish to go about their business in peace and quiet. Will they get that if Hird is coach? I doubt it. And the players are the biggest key in this scenario. If they support Bomber more, it makes it difficult for the board to allow Hird to coach. I haven't heard one positive endorsement from any of the leaders. That's a worry. If the players really want Hird, they would rally the board.

3. I would rather him step away and go full throttle at everyone involved in this saga - including the media. If it takes two years to get all the shit out and clear his name, then let it take two years. But he won't be able to do this while coach. IMO, he probably needs to take on a number of individuals (Clothier, Demetriou, Fitzpatrick etc), and WIN, before being accepted back. It should be his mission, and we know he'll go at it with all the hardness he had as a player.

4. Once he's gone hard on clearing his name, he should be able to walk back into the club with head held high. The media won't be able to say "what about the time he....", as all that shit would have been sorted one one or another.

It's unfair. It's bullying. And it's bullshit. But that the mafia style media we have. They are just "hit men" for the AFL. The propaganda machine.

So, unless the players are rock solid on Hird, I doubt he has a chance to be honest.

According to Robbo, the players want Hird to coach. I think in this case the players should be "Hird" loud and clear. What they want they should get. They are the ones who have to put up with this 24/7.

If that's true then it's a no brainer. Hird should coach.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Agree that the Board, which is appointed at the behest of the Members, must answer questions.

We, the Members, have for too long been the silent victims. It actually annoys the shit out of me when every man and his dog wheels out the Players welfare must come first. It should be the players welfare and the rights of our members.

As for Hird, he has every right to coach the club. Can anyone actually tell me why he is any more or less culpable than Thompson... Not that anything has actually been proven.

I like Bomber, he did a decent job.

But so did Jim. And to see this guy being totally marginalised because the AFL wants a Fall Guy.... f*** them

Having said that, it's probably better that Hird goes after them away from the club. But here's the thing, Little should have the balls to say that the Club will not appeal the Middleton finding because they were told not to do so by the AFL. As such, they support Hird's right to take further action and are granting him leave of Absence to do so.

If Bomber wants to hang around or not, we'll let's see how much he loves the club and respects his mate Hird
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I almost don't know what to think any more. How quickly does all of this need to be done to get a n EGM?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

BERT wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I'm a bit hesitant for a number of reasons;

According to Robbo, the players want Hird to coach. I think in this case the players should be "Hird" loud and clear. What they want they should get. They are the ones who have to put up with this 24/7.

If that's true then it's a no brainer. Hird should coach.
Absolutely.
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Robbo doesn't know shit, I reckon the players would be happy with Hird or Bomber. But this is not the issue with Hird.

What is confusing is this:

Hird says he doesnt want to plead guilty to ASADA.
News flash Hirdy, ASADA arent charging you with anything.(they have 34 SCN to PLAYERS).

He wants to keep fighting a fight thats not there. Its the wrong way to try and save his reputation. If you want to change the game you get involved in setting the rules.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

little_ripper wrote:Robbo doesn't know shit, I reckon the players would be happy with Hird or Bomber. But this is not the issue with Hird.

What is confusing is this:

Hird says he doesnt want to plead guilty to ASADA.
News flash Hirdy, ASADA arent charging you with anything.(they have 34 SCN to PLAYERS).

He wants to keep fighting a fight thats not there. Its the wrong way to try and save his reputation. If you want to change the game you get involved in setting the rules.
Did you actually read what he wrote? He is not referring to himself.

The short term simple approach would be to acquiesce and plead guilty to ASADA even though the players, the club and myself do not believe we have breached the rules. It would be a lie as would pleading out of the proceedings when I, my lawyers and the Essendon Football Club lawyers firmly believe that the investigation was conducted unlawfully and an appeal will be successful.

He is also not asking ASADA to stay proceedings. So unless ASADA, who have already copped a rocket from WADA for wasting time, want to pissfart around, the players defence is going to procede as normal.

If the previous trial showed anything, it revealed how corrupted this process has been from the very start. ANY success he has in exposing this can only help the player's position. If he fails then we are in no worse situation than we are now. How is that a fight that is not there?
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

I'm completely "over' the manner in which this whole cluster f... has been "handled" by our board. The two last straws for me was our B & F night where the current coach was persona non grata and the final evidence that things are completely upside down out at the HPC was the decision to settle the weapons case. The latter is clearly in the interest of the AFL, not the EFC. We are acting as AFL lickspittles . I'm not going to support any board member up for re-election who was in favour of the weapon settlement. I'd rather be represented by a garden gnome than an AFL vassal. To hell with the lot of them .
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:3. I would rather him step away and go full throttle at everyone involved in this saga - including the media. If it takes two years to get all the shit out and clear his name, then let it take two years. But he won't be able to do this while coach. IMO, he probably needs to take on a number of individuals (Clothier, Demetriou, Fitzpatrick etc), and WIN, before being accepted back. It should be his mission, and we know he'll go at it with all the hardness he had as a player.

I agree with this.

And if he does this, when he steps away everyone makes it clear that he will be coming back when he's done (perhaps under Bomber if he's still feeling good about coaching).
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Agree. Hird needs to step away, fight the fight, clear his name, concentrate on that.....tell the world, release his book etc.

Bomber needs to step and coach.

It will stop the media train, the media barrage, the bull shit.

Time sorts most things out but at the moment, with trade and free agency happening, we need direction now otherwise we'll remain behind the eight ball.

Hirdy will always be part of the club and always a legend....and I hope he gets to say to the detractors "I told you so"

Until then, for the good of the club, Hirdy needs to 100% focus on what he has to do, not carry preparing for a 2015 season too.
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

bombercol wrote:Agree. Hird needs to step away, fight the fight, clear his name, concentrate on that.....tell the world, release his book etc.

Bomber needs to step and coach.

It will stop the media train, the media barrage, the bull shit.

Time sorts most things out but at the moment, with trade and free agency happening, we need direction now otherwise we'll remain behind the eight ball.

Hirdy will always be part of the club and always a legend....and I hope he gets to say to the detractors "I told you so"

Until then, for the good of the club, Hirdy needs to 100% focus on what he has to do, not carry preparing for a 2015 season too.
agreed
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Hird stepped away for a year. Did the media barrage stop?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Get a decent trade for Ryder, this becomes secondary

Life goes on

I have no problem with Hird taking them on if only to wipe the smug grins of the assholes who have been bagging him and to expose the corrupt f**** at AFL house.

If only Little had the same (or any) balls

Hate Jeff Kennett but just imagine how he would have handled this
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Sismis wrote:Hird stepped away for a year. Did the media barrage stop?
No it didn't. This was because the club gave Jimmy Hird a two year contract extension when his suspension started. That kept him in the news. How many time was Bomber reminded about it, while he was trying to do a job.

The two year extension was an error.

I'd love Jimmy Hird as coach, but I can't see how he can effectively do this when he's carrying all of this. What if the appeal fails, what if the appeal isn't done quickly as hoped, what if players who leave and have left start taking ASADA deals, what if..........................................we don't have time to stuff around.

He needs to step aside and then be 100% selfish and do what he has to do to clear his name. If the coaching ambition is there he'll be back at the right time for him and the club.

It breaks my heart to say but it would be the best for him and for the club.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

bombercol wrote:
Sismis wrote:Hird stepped away for a year. Did the media barrage stop?
No it didn't. This was because the club gave Jimmy Hird a two year contract extension when his suspension started. That kept him in the news. How many time was Bomber reminded about it, while he was trying to do a job.

The two year extension was an error.

I'd love Jimmy Hird as coach, but I can't see how he can effectively do this when he's carrying all of this. What if the appeal fails, what if the appeal isn't done quickly as hoped, what if players who leave and have left start taking ASADA deals, what if..........................................we don't have time to stuff around.

He needs to step aside and then be 100% selfish and do what he has to do to clear his name. If the coaching ambition is there he'll be back at the right time for him and the club.

It breaks my heart to say but it would be the best for him and for the club.
We should betray Hird based on the assumption that the media will let go of their most profitable bone of the last two years?

We should give him the boot after he has served his sentence for the last time the club caved in and tried to expidite this whole thing?

He should walk away based on the assumption that next time we will REALLY let him come back and coach?

Next week we find out exactly how long the appeal process will take, either way it will be resolved well before the ASADA process is finished, but f*** it, let's boot him out the door for the sake of convenience. Go it alone Jimmy, we might have a spot for you when you're done. He is asking us to stick with him for one more roll on the wheel of "justice".

But I'm sure if we sack him/he quits, the media will grow a conscience and start reporting facts, the AFL will start acting with propriety and ASADA will become competent.