Bomber Thompson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by boncer34 »

He was offered a role. Several.

Problem is he only wanted one.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:He was offered a role. Several.

Not according to him. I think I'll trust him over any f***wit that exists within the board.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The club is just a clusterfuck. How they allowed this situation to end up like this is just breathtaking. The players were dead keen for him to be retained in some capacity. But they let him walk away without offering a meaningful role. It f****** boggles the mind.

He bleeds red & black. Knows how to coach. And has the vision to build a successful club.

Stick it up your arse EFC.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:

Not according to him. I think I'll trust him over any f****** that exists within the board.
Weird how Bomber puts the decision to walk away completely off himself and all on the board.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Not according to him. I think I'll trust him over any f****** that exists within the board.
Weird how Bomber puts the decision to walk away completely off himself and all on the board.
Well, when it doesn't offer a position that has a meaningful purpose, what do you expect him to do?
“There were many factors that were considered but at the end of the day any role needed to have purpose and add meaningful value to our football club,” Campbell said.

“We held extensive negotiations with Mark but we were not able to reach a position that would satisfy both parties and in the end, we had to make a difficult decision in the best interests of all parties and move forward with planning for the 2015 season.
And looking at the above (may I say - shithouse) club statement, it was the EFC who made the decision.
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BenDoolan wrote:The club is just a clusterfuck. How they allowed this situation to end up like this is just breathtaking. The players were dead keen for him to be retained in some capacity. But they let him walk away without offering a meaningful role. It f****** boggles the mind.

He bleeds red & black. Knows how to coach. And has the vision to build a successful club.

Just quickly, What job would you like Bomber to do exactly?

Because Bomber after a year off then getting a year on as a taste as senior coach again wanted Hirds job. He made that clear and he made it clear anything else was a step backwards...I believe the quote was like asking a player to play in the VFL again.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

little_ripper wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:The club is just a clusterfuck. How they allowed this situation to end up like this is just breathtaking. The players were dead keen for him to be retained in some capacity. But they let him walk away without offering a meaningful role. It f****** boggles the mind.

Because Bomber after a year off then getting a year on as a taste as senior coach again wanted Hirds job. He made that clear and he made it clear anything else was a step backwards...I believe the quote was like asking a player to play in the VFL again.
and how many times did he say something to the effect "its just one year...I can do things perhaps other coaches can't because its just one year....no, I won't be coaching again - its just one year"?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

little_ripper wrote:

I don't give a f*** what job he does as long as he's there providing the brains to success that he obviously possesses. It is a no f****** brainier that he is an asset to this playing group. And the playing group WANT him around. So the f****** idiots that run our club needed to find a capacity for him and they failed.

So, f*** that.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I don't think you can understate the club's role in this. They were sacking Hird and told Bomber he had the job. He then went on and made that speech, regardless of how many peace pipes were smoked after that it was always going to be a long way back. I'm so cynical of them ATM I would not be surprised if the AFL has pressured them into making sure Bomber wasn't there next year.

I hope Gauci and co can roll these turkeys.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BenDoolan wrote:
little_ripper wrote:

I don't give a f*** what job he does as long as he's there providing the brains to success that he obviously possesses. It is a no f****** brainier that he is an asset to this playing group. And the playing group WANT him around. So the f****** idiots that run our club needed to find a capacity for him and they failed.

So, f*** that.
He obviously cares what he does and what he wants is the top job. he backflipped. once Hird was out of the picture he got to like being the head coach.

Bomber is undoubtedly awesome, but unless you see Hird playing second fiddle to him at the club, he wasn't going to stay.

Blind freddy can see that.

fwiw I think Hird should have taken a step back this year and just worked as BTs apprentice. In fact thats what the club should have asked of Hird as a condition of his return. Woulda kept them together longer and it would have been a public message of 'learning from aSaga'. (even if behind the scenes there is nothing there).
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

Clubs a basketcase. We have been shit for nearly a good decade now, decisions like this aren't going to get us anywhere in the next decade. Paul Little hand in your resignation and f*** off. Take Mark Neeld with you.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

little_ripper wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
little_ripper wrote:

So, f*** that.
He obviously cares what he does and what he wants is the top job. he backflipped. once Hird was out of the picture he got to like being the head coach.

Bomber is undoubtedly awesome, but unless you see Hird playing second fiddle to him at the club, he wasn't going to stay.

Blind freddy can see that.

fwiw I think Hird should have taken a step back this year and just worked as BTs apprentice. In fact thats what the club should have asked of Hird as a condition of his return. Woulda kept them together longer and it would have been a public message of 'learning from aSaga'. (even if behind the scenes there is nothing there).

You are making an assumption that doesn't even make sense.

He already knew Hird was the senior coach before he met with the club 2 days ago. If he only wanted the top job, why would he be bothered turning up to discuss a position at the club? Because he obviously wanted to stay involved in some capacity. The top job was completely off the table and he knew it.
Essendunny
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

I agree Ben, the board have lost the plot and it began with Evans. After yet another f*ck up, Bomber NO longer has faith in the Board or the direction of the club. The AFL will try to stack the Board with their own. Hird and Doctor Reid will be the only ones left. And; the AFL wants Hird gone but they will turn the thumb screws up and get the Board to do their dirty work.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

little_ripper wrote:

Were you aware the Board approached Bomber and had already offered the job to him because Hird was getting the bullet around the Creighton time. Why Bomber left, he is a straight as a arrow kind of man. He doesn't like the way the club is heading and he will not pay a fine for something he tried to stop and didn't do. Goodness knows what is in store for the EFC but its a mess.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

If only we had someone like David Koch to come on board and turn everything around....oh hang on, Port are about to announce a $2 millon dollar loss (to go with their $2.5 millon loss last year), despite having the 4th highest home game attendances in the League and a top 4 finish.

I thought their inept financial position was the truly horrific stadium deal they had at AMMI Stadium??!!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:If only we had someone like David Koch to come on board and turn everything around....oh hang on, Port are about to announce a $2 millon dollar loss (to go with their $2.5 millon loss last year), despite having the 4th highest home game attendances in the League and a top 4 finish.

I thought their inept financial position was the truly horrific stadium deal they had at AMMI Stadium??!!
:lol: Seeing that this morning made my day. How are there so many people out there that don't see Kochie as a complete f***wit?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The club didn't owe Thompson anything. He took on the coaching job this year knowing it was for one year only. It's not the club's (or Hird's) fault that coaching again re-ignited his passion for the job.
Sismis wrote:I hope Gauci and co can roll these turkeys.
I agree and disagree. Our board is shit, but I heard Gauci on the radio last week and he sounded like a Caro- or Fatprick-style outsider dickhead.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:The club didn't owe Thompson anything. He took on the coaching job this year knowing it was for one year only. It's not the club's (or Hird's) fault that coaching again re-ignited his passion for the job.
Sismis wrote:I hope Gauci and co can roll these turkeys.
I agree and disagree. Our board is shit, but I heard Gauci on the radio last week and he sounded like a Caro- or Fatprick-style outsider dickhead.
It's not about owing Thompson anything FFS. It's about keeping and using one of the best football minds in the business.

The club is a f****** joke.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:It's not about owing Thompson anything FFS. It's about keeping and using one of the best football minds in the business.
Keeping him in what capacity? He wants to be head coach and that's about it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:It's not about owing Thompson anything FFS. It's about keeping and using one of the best football minds in the business.
Keeping him in what capacity? He wants to be head coach and that's about it.
I think you need to read between the lines jmac. This "he only wants to be head coach" line is pretty lame. If it were the case, why would he have bothered to meet with the club 2 days ago knowing full well Hird had secured his job?
Essendunny