Bomber Thompson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
User avatar
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8575
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Old Hobart Town

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by bomberdonnie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 pm

mdso wrote:Does anyone know the whereabouts in Port Melbourne of Bomber's food shop, please?
Why? So you can visit him and tell him what a good bloke he is?

I am sure he would love a visit.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by j-mac31 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
That's the crux of it.
Boohoo.
Yeah, great way to run a football club. What a pack of stupid f****** c**** we have in charge to not be able to make alternative arrangements. No wonder we have been so shit for so long....
I don't disagree that we've been shit for a long time, but when Craig was hired the expectation was that Hird was coming back. Everyone (apart from Caro) knew that. He was not hired recently when Bomber may or may not have genuinely thought he was going to be head coach next year. If he wasn't going to be happy fitting in with a new job in the current structure, to bad.
Yes, and imagine if the board stuck to their "processes" and told Hird to take a hike when he went against their wishes to appeal the High Court decision....

The thing is, you do your darnedest to retain the best people to bring you success. It is clear we have that in Hird / Thompson. The players know so. The players have said so. If Bomber wanted a different set up to a different role, then you do whatever it takes to make it happen.
Deciding to fire Hird was a f****** mistake. Telling Bomber that was going to happen (if true) was another f****** mistake.

Wouldn't messing around with relatively new "processes" to keep a guy in a job that he doesn't really want and there's no guarantee he'd be any good at just be another f****** mistake?

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have kept Bomber, but I think if he really wanted to be here he would and I don't think they should have gone and thrown their new structure out the door almost as soon as they brought it in to keep a glorified assistant coach.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by j-mac31 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Also if someone could change the rule that you can only embed 5 quotes within each other, that would be well good.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by j-mac31 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:51 pm

robrulz5 wrote:
little_ripper wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I thought it was more to do with the fact that he didn't want to have to answer to Neil Craig.
What like he did all this year?

Seemed pretty happy this season. I am sure the is fine with all the guys in the coaching group. Bomber will come in from the cold as Head Coach if Hirdy has problems. Which Hird won't, because he can coach.

But he obviously feels like he doesnt need to teach Hirdy anything more about coaching.
Do you seriously believe Hird is going to be answering to Neil Craig?
Hird does not have the same job that Bomber would have next year.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

mdso
Club Captain
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Merimbula, Far South Coast of N.SW.

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by mdso » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 pm

bomberdonnie wrote:
mdso wrote:Does anyone know the whereabouts in Port Melbourne of Bomber's food shop, please?
Why? So you can visit him and tell him what a good bloke he is?

I am sure he would love a visit.

Actually no that wasn't the reason, but thanks for asking.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by nudder12 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:05 am

Cute cartoon in saturday's "Hun' - depicting a group of Essendon supporters singing the club song, with the words...."See the Bombers stuff up, up..."

mdso
Club Captain
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Merimbula, Far South Coast of N.SW.

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by mdso » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 am

nudder12 wrote:Cute cartoon in saturday's "Hun' - depicting a group of Essendon supporters singing the club song, with the words...."See the Bombers stuff up, up..."

Its clever and it probably wouldn't be so funny if it didn't have a ring of truth about it. Once we own the mistakes it sort of diffuses some of the negativity about them. In the face of helplessness, sometimes, humour can be helpful.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

mdso
Club Captain
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Merimbula, Far South Coast of N.SW.

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by mdso » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 am

gringo wrote:Bomber reckons the EFC needs a complete rebuild from the ground up and are simply treading water at the moment.

That being the case, I can't see how there could possibly be a role at the club he'd be happy with other than head coach with a lot of clout in off-field decision making. Makes sense that he's gone.

I can also see how some of the Board might be offended by those remarks. Also, Bomber has a set of moral and ethical standards and the EFC playing games over the Head Coaches position, involving Hird and himself, wouldn't sit well with him. Plus that $30,000 fine. Putting myself in his shoes and reflecting on some of the weird decisions the Board have made in the past eighteen months, I can understand why he thought he shouldn't have to pay the fine or at least some financial help from the club. The media are saying he'll pay it, he has an short extension of time from the AFL. Maybe (?) he'll take the AFL to court like Doc Reid?????? Maybe he can't understand how Dean got a million plus. Who knows? Everything we get told is third or fourth hand.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

User avatar
s'dreams
Club Captain
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by s'dreams » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm

**** BUMP ****

Sad. Today he admitted in court that he is a serious drug addict. Pity he didn't choose his housemates with more care.

From the Age
Erin Pearson
June 26, 2019 — 12.35pm

Fallen AFL great Mark 'Bomber' Thompson has admitted he was an ice user and spent 12 hours a day trading cryptocurrency after leaving the game in the wake of Essendon's drugs scandal that left him in a "bad way".

The premiership coach is in Melbourne Magistrates Court fighting three drug trafficking charges and four of possession after drugs were allegedly found in his Port Melbourne home during police raids in January 2018.

The 55-year-old told the court on Wednesday that as he struggled with leaving the football world he locked himself in his Port Melbourne home, trading in cryptocurrency 12 hours a day, and using drugs when a man came knocking on his door.
Former AFL coach Mark "Bomber" Thompson at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.

He invited the man in, now known as Geelong man Thomas Windsor, and they formed a friendship. Within weeks they were living together in the converted warehouse.

While he admitted taking drugs, he insisted he has not sold them, adding that he was also tempted to try LSD but "didn't have the guts".

"Ice, that's it really," he said.

Mr Thompson told the court that he still struggles dealing with the Essendon supplements scandal which left him in a "bad way".

"I took a lot of kids on from their parents and I looked them in the eye and said, 'Don’t worry your son's going to be OK'. That went out the door and I really couldn’t live with that," he said.

"The fact I’m responsible for these boys found guilty for cheating for something I really love.

"I hate the game, I left the game after working at Essendon for two years.

"Here I am in 2017 at home. I found cryptocurrency, your Honor. It’s something I’d been looking for in my life."
Bomber Thompson's converted warehouse in Port Melbourne that was raided by police in January 2018.

Mr Thompson revealed that smoking ice became a "habit" for him and that his use of it increased towards the end of 2017, until his house was raided on January 5 the following year.

He admitted that scales found by police in his house belonged to him.

"I used to weigh stuff up. What you paid for is what you got," he said.

He then shook his head and said: "I can’t believe I’m saying this."

"I never had any intention to sell any drugs. I know right from wrong, being a trafficker is just embarrassing for me.

"I’m a drug taker, I’m sad I’m a drug taker. I took them back then to mask all the pain."

Mr Thompson also admitted he had considered taking LSD.

"I always wanted to take it but I didn't have the guts," he said.

Police allege they found a myriad of illicit substances and drug paraphernalia in various areas of Mr Thompson's apartment.

Substances allegedly found in Mr Thompson’s bedroom area included 134.6 grams of MDMA, 5½ Xanax tablets and methamphetamine, as well as two sets of digital scales, eight hard drives, four ice pipes and a shoe box filled with clear resealable bags.

In a magnetic box in a shared mezzanine area were eight clear bags containing 33.1 grams of crystal meth, 5.6 grams of Ephedrine, one LSD tab and three white capsules.

The court previously heard that a further 839.7 grams of what was believed to be MDMA was contaminated by the clandestine drug unit so DNA could not be found.

The premiership coach has been on bail since his arrest while facing eight charges including trafficking ecstasy and ice and breaching bail.

Mr Thompson played more than 200 games of AFL football before coaching Geelong to two premierships. He later worked in the coaching team at Essendon football club.

The ongoing hearing is expected to hear from a DNA expert later on Wednesday.

More to come.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by nudder12 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:12 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm
**** BUMP ****

Sad. Today he admitted in court that he is a serious drug addict. Pity he didn't choose his housemates with more care.

From the Age
Erin Pearson
June 26, 2019 — 12.35pm

Fallen AFL great Mark 'Bomber' Thompson has admitted he was an ice user and spent 12 hours a day trading cryptocurrency after leaving the game in the wake of Essendon's drugs scandal that left him in a "bad way".

The premiership coach is in Melbourne Magistrates Court fighting three drug trafficking charges and four of possession after drugs were allegedly found in his Port Melbourne home during police raids in January 2018.

The 55-year-old told the court on Wednesday that as he struggled with leaving the football world he locked himself in his Port Melbourne home, trading in cryptocurrency 12 hours a day, and using drugs when a man came knocking on his door.
Former AFL coach Mark "Bomber" Thompson at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.

He invited the man in, now known as Geelong man Thomas Windsor, and they formed a friendship. Within weeks they were living together in the converted warehouse.

While he admitted taking drugs, he insisted he has not sold them, adding that he was also tempted to try LSD but "didn't have the guts".

"Ice, that's it really," he said.

Mr Thompson told the court that he still struggles dealing with the Essendon supplements scandal which left him in a "bad way".

"I took a lot of kids on from their parents and I looked them in the eye and said, 'Don’t worry your son's going to be OK'. That went out the door and I really couldn’t live with that," he said.

"The fact I’m responsible for these boys found guilty for cheating for something I really love.

"I hate the game, I left the game after working at Essendon for two years.

"Here I am in 2017 at home. I found cryptocurrency, your Honor. It’s something I’d been looking for in my life."
Bomber Thompson's converted warehouse in Port Melbourne that was raided by police in January 2018.

Mr Thompson revealed that smoking ice became a "habit" for him and that his use of it increased towards the end of 2017, until his house was raided on January 5 the following year.

He admitted that scales found by police in his house belonged to him.

"I used to weigh stuff up. What you paid for is what you got," he said.

He then shook his head and said: "I can’t believe I’m saying this."

"I never had any intention to sell any drugs. I know right from wrong, being a trafficker is just embarrassing for me.

"I’m a drug taker, I’m sad I’m a drug taker. I took them back then to mask all the pain."

Mr Thompson also admitted he had considered taking LSD.

"I always wanted to take it but I didn't have the guts," he said.

Police allege they found a myriad of illicit substances and drug paraphernalia in various areas of Mr Thompson's apartment.

Substances allegedly found in Mr Thompson’s bedroom area included 134.6 grams of MDMA, 5½ Xanax tablets and methamphetamine, as well as two sets of digital scales, eight hard drives, four ice pipes and a shoe box filled with clear resealable bags.

In a magnetic box in a shared mezzanine area were eight clear bags containing 33.1 grams of crystal meth, 5.6 grams of Ephedrine, one LSD tab and three white capsules.

The court previously heard that a further 839.7 grams of what was believed to be MDMA was contaminated by the clandestine drug unit so DNA could not be found.

The premiership coach has been on bail since his arrest while facing eight charges including trafficking ecstasy and ice and breaching bail.

Mr Thompson played more than 200 games of AFL football before coaching Geelong to two premierships. He later worked in the coaching team at Essendon football club.

The ongoing hearing is expected to hear from a DNA expert later on Wednesday.

More to come.
Very sad.

on a tangent - am I in trouble? I have way more than 8 hard drives in my home! 8-[

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25419
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Tragic.

This shit destroys lives and families. Absolute scourge.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11987
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm

I think it’s a little too easy to gloss over the damage done to Hird and Thompson as a result of their respective media lead character assassinations. They were cast as evil pariahs by the media which simply played into the hands of the great unwashed. Hird became dangerously depressed attempting a thankfully unsuccessful suicide. Thompson becomes a drug addict. Where is the damn AFL when it comes to standing by two fallen legends. The media and the AFL merely threw these two men under a bus to serve their own scripted agenda. This included a deliberate and insidious recruitment of certain media identities to spread their ill conceived and maliciously self serving plot.

I am not condoning what Bomber has done nor am I “barracking” for him because he is an Essendon man. No, he was silly to not seek professional help before sliding down the hole. But I for one believe the treatment of these two men, Hird and Thompson, by the AFL and the media should forever be looked down on with outrage and disgust

User avatar
s'dreams
Club Captain
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by s'dreams » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm
I think it’s a little too easy to gloss over the damage done to Hird and Thompson as a result of their respective media lead character assassinations. They were cast as evil pariahs by the media which simply played into the hands of the great unwashed. Hird became dangerously depressed attempting a thankfully unsuccessful suicide. Thompson becomes a drug addict. Where is the damn AFL when it comes to standing by two fallen legends. The media and the AFL merely threw these two men under a bus to serve their own scripted agenda. This included a deliberate and insidious recruitment of certain media identities to spread their ill conceived and maliciously self serving plot.

I am not condoning what Bomber has done nor am I “barracking” for him because he is an Essendon man. No, he was silly to not seek professional help before sliding down the hole. But I for one believe the treatment of these two men, Hird and Thompson, by the AFL and the media should forever be looked down on with outrage and disgust
Fitzpartrick should be garotted by the nuts. Spiteful nasty c***.

If there were a corruption review of the private sector, he would be right up there
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

User avatar
hop
Club Captain
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Napier Street

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by hop » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:02 am

EFC should see if they can get those scales Bomber has been using.
If "what you pay for is what you get" is a truism.....we've been ripped off!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

desmondo
High Draft Pick
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by desmondo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:07 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm
I think it’s a little too easy to gloss over the damage done to Hird and Thompson as a result of their respective media lead character assassinations. They were cast as evil pariahs by the media which simply played into the hands of the great unwashed. Hird became dangerously depressed attempting a thankfully unsuccessful suicide. Thompson becomes a drug addict. Where is the damn AFL when it comes to standing by two fallen legends. The media and the AFL merely threw these two men under a bus to serve their own scripted agenda. This included a deliberate and insidious recruitment of certain media identities to spread their ill conceived and maliciously self serving plot.

I am not condoning what Bomber has done nor am I “barracking” for him because he is an Essendon man. No, he was silly to not seek professional help before sliding down the hole. But I for one believe the treatment of these two men, Hird and Thompson, by the AFL and the media should forever be looked down on with outrage and disgust
Fitzpartrick should be garotted by the nuts. Spiteful nasty c***.

If there were a corruption review of the private sector, he would be right up there
Fkng dead right, Fatpatrick is purely a horrible, miserable human being...would love to see him jailed for corporate corruption, especially if he didn`t really do it... :lol:, wouldn`t that be ironic =D>

He and his sickly, pathetic cohorts, plus that rabid media scum went completely overboard with their character assasinations.

User avatar
gringo
Club Captain
Posts: 2768
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:13 am

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by gringo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:29 pm

Anyone know how he went with the crypto-currency trading?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by Rover99 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:33 pm

gringo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:29 pm
Anyone know how he went with the crypto-currency trading?
Heard today that it's suddenly (and very unexpectedly) gone through the roof! My feeling is that it's been manipulated by very rich people for a quick killing and will plunge again.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by Rover99 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Found in court today that he is guilty of possession but not dealing lucky for him. You know I love bomber dearly. Always have. But don't tell me his troubles started at Essendon they might have been made a lot worse but that's all.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15385
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by F111 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

$3K fine.
12 month community order, whatever that means :?:

mdso
Club Captain
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Merimbula, Far South Coast of N.SW.

Re: Bomber Thompson

Post by mdso » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:11 pm

I hope Bomber gets any support he now needs to get his life back together. This includes the press getting off his back.

We all make mistakes and no one knows what they would do in the similar circumstances. Often we think we know ourselves well enough to say, I would do this or that, let me say from working in the field and person and family experiences. We have no idea what we would do until we are in the position where we are faced with whatever it is and we are forced to make the tough decisions.

It has taught me a hell of a lot about tolerance and non-judgement.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Post Reply