Reality Check

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Reality Check

Post by Windy_Hill »

A lot of work still to be done.

As i have mentioned elsewhere, we have a lot of average players backed up by a few unknown quantities, led by some magnificent but aging stars

We officially have the hardest draw of any club this year and we cant beat last year's wooden spooner

Perhaps this is the reality check we needed before the real stuff starts
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I thought when we finally got rid of Joel Reynolds we might see some better kicking at goal........WRONG!

I thought when we got rid of Solomon we might see some better decision making and discipline.......WRONG!

I thought when the club refurbished the football department that we might see better skills......WRONG!

Someone explain why we shouldn't be witnessing another Adelaide massacre in Round 1.....
chummy
Top Up Player

Post by chummy »

Essendon went into this match looking to win ,lets not fool ourselves,this was the best side the coach believed we could get on the park. He picked it to win,he was not experimenting or looking at a raft of new young players. As in the second half of last season, when the oppurtunity to try out young players for xtended games and gametime was wasted on peverill, heffernan, bolton, reynolds, welsh,solomon etc, his mindset with players, positions, and our gameplan seems, pig headed ,egocentric or just plain stupid.

The idea of playing keplar bradley on the wing is laughable this smacks of running out of idea's for somebody who you refuse to accept youve got it wrong,ala wallis, bolton welsh hennerman alas i digress .Tonight a young fella showed every essendon player,, coach and supporter the way forward . Davies did the thing well that Essendon does so badly he chased and tackled the player with the ball instead of simply zoning off ,last year we had the lowest tackle count in the competition for a team that came second last thats hard to believe.
The three big left footed [flat footed] forwards is not going to work.Lucas and Lloyd already struggle with enough space to lead without Johns, its bad enough waching Lucas mark 5 meters in front of Lloyd without seeing Johns trailing behind the better plan would be to rotate the rucks through the goal square work Lucas further up the ground and create some space for Lloyd ,Hird and the small forwards. Fletcher and Mal Michael will both play from the fullback line at thirty one and after 250 games and 14 seasons its ridiculous to think fletcher is going to move to chb [unless you would like to end his career early] .Young Ryder looked ok last night except for his two handballs to Whitnall,i think we should give him a run there with the two big fella's behind him i think chb might work for him.

Keplar Bradley and Courtney Johns need to spend at least the first half of the season at bendigo to build their confidence and work out the best position to play them,bolton, peverill, welsh,mcveigh,NLM,are not up to it and should not be in our best 25 it is time to start playing the young players while Hird ,Lloyd ,Fletcher are still playing.Its time to start building a team to win our next premiership not prolonging the careers of hacks and their coach.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

BenDoolan wrote:I thought when we finally got rid of Joel Reynolds we might see some better kicking at goal........WRONG!

I thought when we got rid of Solomon we might see some better decision making and discipline.......WRONG!

I thought when the club refurbished the football department that we might see better skills......WRONG!

Someone explain why we shouldn't be witnessing another Adelaide massacre in Round 1.....
Geez your not thinking too well tonight Benny :wink: :P
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

[quote="BenDoolan"]I thought when we finally got rid of Joel Reynolds we might see some better kicking at goal........WRONG!

Someone explain why we shouldn't be witnessing another Adelaide massacre in Round 1.....[/quote]

Because there's still another four weeks to go where :
1. systems can improve
2. players can settle into their new roles
3. players can adapt to the new rules in match play situations
4. Lloyd will have a lot of extra game time under his belt
5. The ruckmen can learn to palm the ball to our advantage (this is my weakest point)
6. Adelaide aren't as good as they were last year [-o<
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

It looks like a case of Back to the Future to me. or to put it another way Same old..same old Very, very, very depressing. Nothing has changed, the foot passing ...pathetic, even McVeigh was missing targets. Jobe, the same as last year, gets the pill ok, handball ok, kicking... ATROCIOUS!! and he knows it, shows no confidence in that skill whatsoever, and alas he's got plenty of mates in that department.

Clearances...DEPLORABLE!! Absolutely thrashed out of the middle as well as around the ground. Is this a skill that they work on at training?? or do they argue that you can't practice it because of fear of injury. I never see them train but from what I've heard, actual hard physical contact is kept to a minimum. I know it is a skill that Geelong practice...what do we do..can anyone tell me??

I hate bagging our own players so I'll direct my criticism at Sheedy... for pitty's sake Sheeds, Bradley on a wing??? I don't know what others think but when he runs he seems to be running up and down on the one spot to me...there's plenty more I could say about him, but as my mother used to tell me if you can't say anything nice....

I don't know, maybe I've been sucked in by Sheedy's bullish outlook during the off season hinting that regaining Lloyd would virtually solve all our problems as well as Hirdy's decision to play on. I kidded myself that Hirdy wouldn't have made that decision if he didin't really think we had a chance of playing finals this year; but after last nights effort, so help me Christ we made Carlton look like finals material, (as we always do) Let's face it we were beaten by a Rabble team...both on and off the field.

If I were Sheedy, I would be REALLY worried after last nights effort. Better start looking in the employment pages of teh Age Sheeds because we aint goin no-where this year.... To use a famous Bond quote...It's a Smith and Wesson and you've had your six or in your case 26.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

It looks like a case of Back to the Future to me. or to put it another way Same old..same old Very, very, very depressing. Nothing has changed, the foot passing ...pathetic, even McVeigh was missing targets. Jobe, the same as last year, gets the pill ok, handball ok, kicking... ATROCIOUS!! and he knows it, shows no confidence in that skill whatsoever, and alas he's got plenty of mates in that department.

Clearances...DEPLORABLE!! Absolutely thrashed out of the middle as well as around the ground. Is this a skill that they work on at training?? or do they argue that you can't practice it because of fear of injury. I never see them train but from what I've heard, actual hard physical contact is kept to a minimum. I know it is a skill that Geelong practice...what do we do..can anyone tell me??

I hate bagging our own players so I'll direct my criticism at Sheedy... for pitty's sake Sheeds, Bradley on a wing??? I don't know what others think but when he runs he seems to be running up and down on the one spot to me...there's plenty more I could say about him, but as my mother used to tell me if you can't say anything nice....

I don't know, maybe I've been sucked in by Sheedy's bullish outlook during the off season hinting that regaining Lloyd would virtually solve all our problems as well as Hirdy's decision to play on. I kidded myself that Hirdy wouldn't have made that decision if he didin't really think we had a chance of playing finals this year; but after last nights effort, so help me Christ we made Carlton look like finals material, (as we always do) Let's face it we were beaten by a Rabble team...both on and off the field.

If I were Sheedy, I would be REALLY worried after last nights effort. Better start looking in the employment pages of teh Age Sheeds because we aint goin no-where this year.... To use a famous Bond quote...It's a Smith and Wesson and you've had your six or in your case 26.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

At least I can say I didnt get sucked in by Sheedys bullshit. At least the sheedy baggers will be happy, this will be his last year.

As long as he takes Bradley with him to wherever he wants to go then that will be fine.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
karmabomber
Top Up Player

Post by karmabomber »

I'm more concerned that the loosely described "team" didn't seem to have a particular strategy to move the ball forward! No getting players back, panicking when harassed and turning the ball over too easily. Poor disposal by foot and overuse of handball to get out of trouble.
By the way, those in the forum that laud Winderlich with praise may wish to consider that having a big heart and running fast a lot is no panacea for having a football brain in decision-making. He is not a player that can be relied upon to make good judgements under pressure!!