My take after just 1 game

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sol
Top Up Player

My take after just 1 game

Post by Sol »

Our forward structure appears confused with all the options we have down there, but I’m sure they will get it together at some stage. If they do, the new hands rule should suit us, it clearly brings the big forwards back into the game and we have 3 of them and a ruckman who can play forward as well. If they get the supply eventually they will be capable of BIG scores.

Our midfield now have run and drive but cant hit the side of a barn by foot and with the exception of Davies (who plays forward anyway) they appear to be scared of catching rabies if they lay a tackle. With JJ, MJ and McPhee to come the quality of disposal won’t improve much, but the defensive pressure should. Still looks like we have the worst midfield combination in the comp though and we will need a major contribution from guys like Dempsey and Dyson, who do have good disposal skills for this to change.

With the exception of this bullshit hands in the back rule, our backline looks to be awesome. Mal will improve, as will the interpretation of the new rule as the season progresses. Fletcher is revelling in the freedom to create at HB and on 1 or 2 occasions showed the advantage of having a raking kick off half back straight into the forward 50. MJ and McPhee will add some aggression and pace and this back 6 which should be top 2-3 in the league. My money is on Fletch for AA CHB selection. He will see plenty of it down that end I’m afraid lol.

Special mention of Monfries, who is a champion developing into a superstar without a doubt. Houli also appeared encouraging and looks set to start in rd1 as did Ryder, who had me worried last year but even after just one game this year his endeavour and improvement gives me renewed faith. You can write Davies into our forward 6 in ink as he is genuinly similar to his older brother (unlike the Harvey disaster) and creates forward defensive pressure.

It all comes down to our midfield IMO. Improve dramatically and we can be as high as top 4, don’t and we will spend another year holding the ladder up.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: My take after just 1 game

Post by BenDoolan »

Sol wrote:Our forward structure appears confused with all the options we have down there, but I’m sure they will get it together at some stage. If they do, the new hands rule should suit us, it clearly brings the big forwards back into the game and we have 3 of them and a ruckman who can play forward as well. If they get the supply eventually they will be capable of BIG scores.

Our midfield now have run and drive but cant hit the side of a barn by foot and with the exception of Davies (who plays forward anyway) they appear to be scared of catching rabies if they lay a tackle. With JJ, MJ and McPhee to come the quality of disposal won’t improve much, but the defensive pressure should. Still looks like we have the worst midfield combination in the comp though and we will need a major contribution from guys like Dempsey and Dyson, who do have good disposal skills for this to change.

With the exception of this bullshit hands in the back rule, our backline looks to be awesome. Mal will improve, as will the interpretation of the new rule as the season progresses. Fletcher is revelling in the freedom to create at HB and on 1 or 2 occasions showed the advantage of having a raking kick off half back straight into the forward 50. MJ and McPhee will add some aggression and pace and this back 6 which should be top 2-3 in the league. My money is on Fletch for AA CHB selection. He will see plenty of it down that end I’m afraid lol.

Special mention of Monfries, who is a champion developing into a superstar without a doubt. Houli also appeared encouraging and looks set to start in rd1 as did Ryder, who had me worried last year but even after just one game this year his endeavour and improvement gives me renewed faith. You can write Davies into our forward 6 in ink as he is genuinly similar to his older brother (unlike the Harvey disaster) and creates forward defensive pressure.

It all comes down to our midfield IMO. Improve dramatically and we can be as high as top 4, don’t and we will spend another year holding the ladder up.
I was wondering who the f*** you were talking about....and then the penny dropped (Davey).

Houli looks like a good player...has a great kicking style, similar to Ramanauskas.

With the hands in back rule, while our forwards might benefit, so will our opposition's forward line.....
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I think that our midfield woes may be exaggerated. We looked a bit shabby against Carlton but we were missing JJ, MJ and Campo. There's a lot of experience in that group.

Don't underestimate the impact of Monfries, either - if he can play 40 minutes a game in the middle this year it will go a long way to sorting out disposal concerns. Add in Dyson, Dempsey, Houli and Winders (all of whom have good skills) and we have depth and class.

We're not in West Coast's class (noone is) but I don't think we'll be rubbish. Once our forward structure is sorted out (and personally I think that means giving Dean Wallis a few months in the twos) the midfield will look much better.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Winders has good skills???

You are seriously joking yeah?
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

andrewb is sismis' twin brother.

They both are blinded by red and black - if you play for Essendon your a Champion. :?
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

andrewb wrote:I think that our midfield woes may be exaggerated. We looked a bit shabby against Carlton but we were missing JJ, MJ and Campo. There's a lot of experience in that group.

Don't underestimate the impact of Monfries, either - if he can play 40 minutes a game in the middle this year it will go a long way to sorting out disposal concerns. Add in Dyson, Dempsey, Houli and Winders (all of whom have good skills) and we have depth and class.

We're not in West Coast's class (noone is) but I don't think we'll be rubbish. Once our forward structure is sorted out (and personally I think that means giving Dean Wallis a few months in the twos) the midfield will look much better.
Winder was there on Saturday and whilst he was a reasonable contributor, I wouldnt say he hit any of our forwards on the chest at any stage during the game. Mofries was also there and he can kick a goal, but again I wouldnt say his forward entries had much purpose. Houli looked fantastic, but to burden him with more than the expectation of being a bit player in his first season would be unfair.

JJ and MJ generally get the hard ball and bang it long so whilst they will add hardness and tackling, forward entries wont improve from their availability. I'm not having any expectations from Campo, he added nothing last year, certainly not the polished disposal he was drafted for.

Hence Dyson and Dempsey remain the only two players with real precision foot skills (other than Hird) and to date both appear to have problems getting the pill. Cant spear a forward in the chest if you dont have it. Hence my oppinion stands, our midfield is a genuin concern and relies on Dyson and Dempsey stepping up if we are to be a genuin finals threat.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

DC wrote:andrewb is sismis' twin brother.

They both are blinded by red and black - if you play for Essendon your a Champion. :?
Are you related to Gringo?
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

DC wrote:if you play for Essendon your a Champion. :?
Rubbish. I just reserve my criticism for senior players. We're in the current predicament because of rubbish recruiting pre-2002 and because we rested on our laurels after the 2000 season.

Rioli, Mcveigh, Solomon, Hille, Lovett, Lovett-Murray, Bolton, Henneman Pev, Heff - I never had any problem with people criticising any of these guys... They've been in the system for long enough. What riles me is when people blame the current crop of kids for the malaise affecting the club.

If these kids had have had a "normal" introduction to AFL footy through the seconds and had been slotting into wings, pockets or flanks they would have been received pretty well. But you guys are bagging kids that have been put into some of the toughest positions on the ground.... CHB at 19? Of course Kepler was going to get towelled up. Likewise Watson in the centre. If Watson was picking up 40 odd possessions every week in the twos people like you would have been drooling about how good he was going to be.

Essendon, so often lauded as an innovator, is currently playing catch up with the rest of the competition in terms of coaching resources and techniques.

To use a business analogy, as an organisation, our enterprise processes are great - we are financially sound and we have a strong customer base. Our strategic processes are also sound - we have a good product and we look outside the box to develop the brand. Unfortunately, our operations processes (traditionally our strong point) have been behind the eight ball for about 7 years - this often happens to market leaders - and as a result we have fallen behind the pack.

The off-season review will hopefully sort out some of those issues and I firmly believe that our recruiting has picked up since 02. I'm hoping to see the positive results of these changes within the next 3 years - hopefully sooner.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

I agree on most points andrew and would just like t point out that i dont blame the kids especially Dyson and Dempsey.

Im simply pointing out that other than Hird, they are the only two with the specific skill base to add the precision dellivery we need for our top heavey forward line to function.

As you mentioned, this is because we have recruited badly with i believe to be too many players with the same skills base. ie. hard ball gets or pace but little emphisis on foot skill. Not to mention too many high picks gave us very little in return.

I also agree this may have turned around as I see great potential in Monfries, Ryder and Houli.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

our team will be good this year, even better the next
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

boncer34 wrote:
DC wrote:andrewb is sismis' twin brother.

Are you related to Gringo?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: