thoughts on ryder?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

thoughts on ryder?

Post by tom9779 »

what do you think about paddy ryder?

I have been pretty impressed by what I have seen so far. bit skinny still for AFL footy but seems to have a fair bit of talent.

I reckon this could be his year.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Still needs to get stronger if he is going to play in the ruck or as a key position player.

Appears to have a heap of natural talent.

Several big raps this week for him in Inside Football.

Hopefully a force to be reckoned with in years to come.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

In one game I have seen him improve greatly. Which is a good sign.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He'll get a few more runs this year, and he'll do OK. He'll mess up a bit too.

2007 won't be his year. Maybe next year he'll show even more, but I expect he'll be much, much better after more muscle, more exposure and more experience.

2009 he'll be our version of Goodes. Big, fast, athletic and agile. He looks to have the skills and the smarts, he just needs to be 23 years old with 4 years in the gym and playing with the big boys. That's what he's up against now.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

F111 wrote:He'll get a few more runs this year, and he'll do OK. He'll mess up a bit too.

2007 won't be his year. Maybe next year he'll show even more, but I expect he'll be much, much better after more muscle, more exposure and more experience.

2009 he'll be our version of Goodes. Big, fast, athletic and agile. He looks to have the skills and the smarts, he just needs to be 23 years old with 4 years in the gym and playing with the big boys. That's what he's up against now.
What he said :D
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

F111 wrote:He'll get a few more runs this year, and he'll do OK. He'll mess up a bit too.

I too was going to say words to the same effect.

2008-2009 is when he should start firing up, and i don't think he's a pure ruckman. Hence he'll be best used in a Goodes capacity. I don't think he's as quick as Goodes, but he shares some other physical traits in terms of height and build.

As much as i hate Goodes and his soft style, and aside from the fact i'm still incredulous as to how he's a dual Brownlow medallist, if Ryder could develop in a similar mould then that'd be bloody great.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Interesting to see Chris Connolly say today that four pre-seasons was the magical number for AFL readiness... Not sure if that holds true for big men but seems about right. The NBA - full of big guys :) - used to hold kids out of the pros for four seasons while they went through college. There have been a couple of instances (i.e. LeBron, Kobe, etc) where kids have successfully come straight from high school but it's a lot more hit and miss.

I look forward to good things from Paddy - I just hope that our supporters are patient. I was really surprised to see some people getting stuck into him last season for looking a bit lost. At 18, I couldn't wank straight.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

You could clearly see the improvement in Paddys game last weekend. You can just tell he is going to be a good player. Natural, raw skills. Just needs some more game time so he can build confidence.

Looks like he will be able to play many positions.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

andrewb wrote:Interesting to see Chris Connolly say today that four pre-seasons was the magical number for AFL readiness... Not sure if that holds true for big men but seems about right. The NBA - full of big guys :) - used to hold kids out of the pros for four seasons while they went through college. There have been a couple of instances (i.e. LeBron, Kobe, etc) where kids have successfully come straight from high school but it's a lot more hit and miss.

I look forward to good things from Paddy - I just hope that our supporters are patient. I was really surprised to see some people getting stuck into him last season for looking a bit lost. At 18, I couldn't wank straight.
You weren't doing it with the right person
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Has natural talent, just needs to get more aggro in him, which will just come wit confidence.

Has a huge leap and good skills, just needs to believe that he does belong in the big game.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

No question Ryder will be a 200+ game player
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

He'll be some player. Not forgetting that he is only a kid!!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Other than 'that mark' last week the only other remarkable thing this bloke has done was his attempted defensive bitch slap at a ball crossing the goal line last year.

Still sleeps with the light on - needs more time - let's hope it's not wasted time.