Round 7 vs Kangaroos

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Round 7 vs Kangaroos

Post by F111 »

Wholesale changes?
In: Fletch, Cooney, Chapman?
Out: ???
Our travel verses their travel?
They've been underperforming according to preseason predictions. Who is playing well for them?
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Re: Round 7 vs Kangaroos

Post by Flip »

Fletch, Chappy and Cooney = 900 games experience. Can't hurt. :roll:

Their backline is ordinary so if we can get over our dumb lethargy and play on and get the aget in quick to give our forwards a one on go, we are a chance. Game is played above the shoulders so hopefully.....emphasis on hopefully. :(
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Flip wrote:Fletch, Chappy and Cooney = 900 games experience. Can't hurt. :roll:

Their backline is ordinary so if we can get over our dumb lethargy and play on and get the aget in quick to give our forwards a one on go, we are a chance. Game is played above the shoulders so hopefully.....emphasis on hopefully. :(
Gwilt played reasonably well against Freo. He got up the field and created on occasion. Bringing in Fletch for Gwilt isn't going to make much, if any, difference. I'd play them both I think.

Chappy has been largely ineffective this year. I'd play a young player in front of him.

Cooney is a decent in.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:Gwilt played reasonably well against Freo. He got up the field and created on occasion. Bringing in Fletch for Gwilt isn't going to make much, if any, difference. I'd play them both I think.
Did you see Fletcher against St Kilda? Has to come in. Gwilt is solid, but really f****** slow.
gringo wrote:Chappy has been largely ineffective this year. I'd play a young player in front of him.
We need goals when we get the ball forward and Chappy is still really good when he gets the ball, either scoring or setting up. I'd get him back.

I'd really like to see some younger guys get a run too. Edwards and O'Brien have been good in the VFL this year and Ashby and McKernan didn't play the last quarter this week - they're very likely to come in.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

j-mac31 wrote:I'd really like to see some younger guys get a run too. Edwards and O'Brien have been good in the VFL this year and Ashby and McKernan didn't play the last quarter this week - they're very likely to come in.
VFL coach Corrigan wrote: Midfielder Nick O’Brien was commanding throughout the middle, as he continued his sparkling early season form.
“He’s a real leader, Nick,” Corrigan said.
“He really stands up week-in-week-out and he just provides that consistent effort with the role that he plays as the inside mid.
“Again he was fantastic, even though he had a guy running with him today, he just keeps powering along and finding the footy, which is great.”

Excitement-machine Shaun Edwards played his best game for the season, Corrigan particularly pleased with the way he carried out his role for the side.
“Shaun has been a little up and down, but I thought today he really played his role well as a high forward. He even had spurts where he went up to the wing, and to an inside midfielder also and did really well.
“He had a couple of key focus areas at the start of the game that we identified and he carried them out throughout the match really well and kept his focus for the four quarters.”

Ruckman Shaun McKernan and midfielder Jason Ashby were pulled from the match during the third quarter, both seemingly uninjured. Corrigan revealing the two were rested as potential inclusions for Essendon’s Friday night clash against North Melbourne.

"It’s always a tricky one, obviously with the AFL guys coming back from Perth, and then they’ve got a six day break leading into North Melbourne on Friday night.
“There was obviously a call there that we had to make and rest up a couple of guys halfway through that third quarter, but that’s the nature with this business and with the VFL that’s going the be the call at times.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Zachariah out and could miss the next one too. Chapman a good chance to come back in.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015- ... roos-clash
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

One thing I thought during last week's game: if you're going to kick it to a contest, make it a long kick to a contest. There's no point kicking short to a 50/50. Or put it in a spot where only our guy can mark it.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

j-mac31 wrote:Zachariah out and could miss the next one too. Chapman a good chance to come back in.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015- ... roos-clash

Not a surprise re: Zaka, has been nowhere near his best, clearly still carrying the PCL injury he picked up in the pre-season
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Reckon we will see up to 5 changes

Out Zaharakis, Dempsey, Hams, Ambrose, Merrett J

In Cooney, Fletcher, McKernan, Ashby, Chapman
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

If Dempsey is picked, Hird should be fired.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I think J Merrett deserves another run.

One thing very evident last week - any time a docker had a man take a mark there was always another running past for the handball receive. We rarely have someone looking for a receive or even at the fall of the ball.

Not working hard enough?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tonysoprano wrote:I think J Merrett deserves another run.
Yeah, I hate giving a guy 1 game and then dropping him when it's his first game of the year. And given it's been a bad month, there are other who deserve to be dropped before him.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd definitely drop Ambrose, but I'd consider dropping Bellchambers and one of Carlisle or Daniher too and giving Giles and McKernan a run.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

j-mac31 wrote:I'd definitely drop Ambrose, but I'd consider dropping Bellchambers and one of Carlisle or Daniher too and giving Giles and McKernan a run.
I agree with you but it appears solidarity is in vogue; maybe for reasonable reasons. I would suggest several are on last chances.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015- ... on-round-7

Would like to see how McKernan goes. Dude has a lot of motivation.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'd play Dempsey and Gwilt up forward..
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

The team

N: Jason Ashby, Kyle Langford, Dustin Fletcher

OUT: James Gwilt (Omitted), David Zaharakis (Ankle), Will Hams (Omitted)

Backs M.HurleyD.FletcherM.Baguley

Half-Backs M.Gleeson C.Hooker M.Hibberd

Centreline D.Heppell J.Watson C.Dempsey

Half-Forwards K.Langford J.Carlisle T.Colyer

Forwards J.Merrett P.Ambrose J.Daniher

Followers T.Bellchambers B.Stanton B.Goddard

Interchange J.Ashby B.Howlett J.Melksham Z.Merrett

Emergencies J.Gwilt S.McKernan O.Fantasia
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Not real sure about the balance of this side.
Perhaps they're allowing for Carlisle to not play?

Looks too tall and too slow.
Reckon Ambrose should get dropped and bring in a smaller dude into the forward line.
Might make the forward line function a bit better with some crumbers or hit-up targets there, who could also hopefully apply some defensive pressure.

It's like Hirdy's living in the glory days and thinks we can just kick it long and high to tall forwards who'll mark it and kick goals.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

nudder12 wrote:Not real sure about the balance of this side.
Perhaps they're allowing for Carlisle to not play?

Looks too tall and too slow.
Reckon Ambrose should get dropped and bring in a smaller dude into the forward line.
Might make the forward line function a bit better with some crumbers or hit-up targets there, who could also hopefully apply some defensive pressure.

It's like Hirdy's living in the glory days and thinks we can just kick it long and high to tall forwards who'll mark it and kick goals.

Well they (players) ain't even doing that!!

They kick every which way except long, deep and FAST to a one on one and better still honouring a lead......ahead.....not sideways or backwards.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I'm confident the Bombers will win, not based on talent or present form, just because they will win.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bpdons wrote:I'm confident the Bombers will win, not based on talent or present form, just because they will win.
i'm not in the least bit confident but hoping like hell we will win.

any idea of our record in recent years on friday nights? coming off 6 day breaks? vs north? (separately of course) pretty sure it is very poor.