Hooksey and Buckets

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Hooksey and Buckets

Post by Flip »

I guess we all know that sometimes out of bad comes good.

Hooksey is apparently the strongest at EFC in the weights room and it shows lately playing up forward at CHF. Rarely beaten on one on one and as we know reads the play terrifically.

With Buckets cracking the sads wanting to play at CHB, in normal circumstances, I would as a EFC official tell him to GAGF. (Play where you are picked sunshine etc).

But he is a great back player and now we know Hooksey can play forward.

Given we have lost Crameri and Ryder to the mess and these are not NORMAL days after the debacle and we have put 5 years into him, I am inclined to play him back on a big contract playing back, and leave Hooksey forward where he assist Joey and protect the smalls.

We CANNOT afford to lose anymore semi quality (Crameri) or other big guys we have invested so much in.

According to Hepp he thinks he will stay. I hope so....between gritted teeth. (Loyalty)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Hooksey and Buckets

Post by BenDoolan »

Just wondering. Is there any f****** chance this club could recruit a natural forward? Is there actual hope? Or clue?

This infatuation of trying to turn a natural defender into a forward just pisses me off. Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker, Hardingham FFS. Even Pears in the VFL.

Get. A. f******. Forward
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:Just wondering. Is there any f****** chance this club could recruit a natural forward? Is there actual hope? Or clue?

This infatuation of trying to turn a natural defender into a forward just pisses me off. Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker, Hardingham FFS. Even Pears in the VFL.

Get. A. f******. Forward
^^^This

However, by the time we have had our picks in recent years, all the decent forwards have vanished to GWS, GC, Aints, Dees and co...
Maybe this year we can snag one...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Our first pick and Dempsey, Kav, NOB, Pears, Steinberg for Dixon.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Gimps wrote:Our first pick and Dempsey, Kav, NOB, Pears, Steinberg for Dixon.
Might be a pipe dream, but I would rather target GWS's talls...
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Steinberg & Carlisle were drafted as forwards.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:Just wondering. Is there any f****** chance this club could recruit a natural forward? Is there actual hope? Or clue?

Get. A. f******. Forward
Wasn't Carlisle the U/18 CHF?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:

Get. A. f******. Forward
Wasn't Carlisle the U/18 CHF?
Yeah, so we turn them into defenders. Like Steinberg.
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Get. A. f******. Forward
To be fair, it was my understanding the Jake Carlisle played his junior footy as a key forward, didn't he?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:

Get. A. f******. Forward
To be fair, it was my understanding the Jake Carlisle played his junior footy as a key forward, didn't he?
Yes, but we spent several seasons turning him into a backman. WTF is with this club? Completely arse about. They also turned Steinberg into a defender. They let go Jenkins, turned away Michael Still, and didn't bother signing up Tory Dickson despite him being under our noses. And now the list management team are probably scratching their heads as to why we don't have forward options...
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Hooker definitely looks like a better forward than Carlisle so far.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

Get. A. f******. Forward
Yes, but we spent several seasons turning him into a backman. WTF is with this club? Completely arse about. They also turned Steinberg into a defender. They let go Jenkins, turned away Michael Still, and didn't bother signing up Tory Dickson despite him being under our noses. And now the list management team are probably scratching their heads as to why we don't have forward options...
And turned Hurley into a forward.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

Get. A. f******. Forward
And turned Hurley into a forward.
Then sent him back lol
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Get. A. f******. Forward
A decent one costs an absolute arm and a leg, or a top 2 draft pick in a great year.

see Tom Boyd and the dogs.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Evidently Jake keeps telling Hirdy that he wants to be the best CHF in the comp. A laudable desire and one which he has the capacity to achieve.

The problem as I see it, is that he hasn't told Hirdy that it'll probably be at another team.

Let's resign him as a priority and then worry about which part of the paddock we put him in.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

f*** me, I don't care what the f*** Jake says, Hooker plays like a bloke who actually looks like he wants to f****** play forward, unlike Jake.

If Jake gets back this year, keep Hooks forward and move Jake back.

Hooker also seems to work far better in tandem with Joe Daniher.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:f*** me, I don't care what the f*** Jake says, Hooker plays like a bloke who actually looks like he wants to f****** play forward, unlike Jake.

Yep, just need to get him to work with 'Lordo' on the goal kicking. I'm prepared to cut him some slack for now given that he's been a defender his entire career until recently.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

j-mac31 wrote:
ealesy wrote:f*** me, I don't care what the f*** Jake says, Hooker plays like a bloke who actually looks like he wants to f****** play forward, unlike Jake.

Yep, just need to get him to work with 'Lordo' on the goal kicking. I'm prepared to cut him some slack for now given that he's been a defender his entire career until recently.
he kicked beautifully last night.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Totally agree, Hooker is a monster. Even two on one he is making a lot of the contests a 50/50. Defenders are absolutely shitting themselves when the ball is coming in to him at the top of the square.

Daniher as a great leading forward with a massive kick on him and plays the roaming role well.

They are definitely more complementary than Carlisle and Daniher.

I hope we can keep Carlisle though. With him and Hurley in defense we will have an amazing spine.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Pears played well, down back, in the 2's on the weekend. Surely he could replace Steinlager this week?