Relax

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Relax

Post by Gimps » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:21 am

f*** me, a few of you need to take a chill pill. Cool your jets and wait for next year.

Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Re: Relax

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:34 am

For those who can remember back in 1992 we were beaten by around 160 points at the MCG by coincidentally Hawthorn. That performance was worse than tonights effort.

As Sheeds reminds us, The Bombers then won a premiership about 30 games later in '93 against the scum. Our time will come........

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:12 am

Ronny Rotten wrote:For those who can remember back in 1992 we were beaten by around 160 points at the MCG by coincidentally Hawthorn. That performance was worse than tonights effort.

As Sheeds reminds us, The Bombers then won a premiership about 30 games later in '93 against the scum. Our time will come........
The amount of times in the last decade that particular game has been cited by one-eyed Bombers supporters as a reason for near-term hope is worthy of derision.

On the factual evidence of the last 10-12 years, we are more likely to be experiencing a multi-decade period of mediocrity, as compared to being on the precipice of a sudden snap-back to sustained success. The competition's history is riddled with examples of once-mighty clubs that have fallen into a multi-decade hole after being impacted by seismic events:

- Richmond: 1983-current (30+ years of mediocrity and counting)
- Melbourne: mid 1960s-current (50+ years of mediocrity and counting)
- Carlton: early 2000s-current (15 years of mediocrity and counting)

Those clubs all went from kingpins to mediocre pissants for various reasons, and still haven't recovered (and i'm purposely ignoring clubs like the Bulldogs and St Kilda, who have always been and will always be mediocre pissants). I don't see anything to suggest we will recover any time soon, either - the fallout from the supplements program penalties will weigh for at least another five years, in much the same way as it took years and years for us to recover from the draft penalties & forced trades associated with us being over the salary cap in the early '00s (we were finally recovering, then the supplements scandal undid about 5-7 years of hard work). That's just reality.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:17 am

I guess the major difference is the competition is vastly different from the 60's to the 2000's

We are an anomaly and I'm sure once the suspensions are served and the club has buried the last 4 years we should be able to regroup with the added benefit of early draft picks.

Unlike Carlton in the early 2000's, we have 12 ready made and pretty decent players coming back as well as the high draft picks. They just had draft picks from low ladder positions and thus were in a constant rebuild without any quality senior players

Our rebuild will be anchored around 8 to 10 genuinely good players

I just hope we don't burn the likes of Parish, Fantasia, Walla etc with the pain of this season.

If these boys can get through this year mentally strong then I'm very optimistic

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:42 am

To be clear i'm not saying we'll be as bad next year as we are this year - we will obviously be significantly better next year when the suspended players return. All i'm saying is, there's absolutely nothing in the cards to suggest we are anywhere even remotely close to a premiership or a sustained period of success (which i would define as contesting preliminary finals or better) - i think a premiership/sustained success is 5+ years away, minimum.

Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 am

Gimps wrote:f*** me, a few of you need to take a chill pill. Cool your jets and wait for next year.
x2

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:41 am

I'm not fussed about the results this year. We need to look at the small things such as the performance of some of our young players, Parish had 27 disposals last night which is a great effort against a good midfield. There is also some very obvious dead weight in the side who are listed players, hopefully Worsfold can fix that part of the list at years end.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:13 am

robrulz5 wrote:I'm not fussed about the results this year. We need to look at the small things such as the performance of some of our young players, Parish had 27 disposals last night which is a great effort against a good midfield. There is also some very obvious dead weight in the side who are listed players, hopefully Worsfold can fix that part of the list at years end.
And hopefully fix the obvious atrocious foot skills of about 80% of our listed players...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:27 am

BenDoolan wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I'm not fussed about the results this year. We need to look at the small things such as the performance of some of our young players, Parish had 27 disposals last night which is a great effort against a good midfield. There is also some very obvious dead weight in the side who are listed players, hopefully Worsfold can fix that part of the list at years end.
And hopefully fix the obvious atrocious foot skills of about 80% of our listed players...
Yep.........

I don't want to name names.........

But Skinny Gleeson and Dempsey FFS!!!

Oh - and here's a tip Patrick Ambrose - your feet are for standing on - just sayin......
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Players who would otherwise be tucked away and carried by the better players are now being exposed for the rubbish footballers they are.

This is a good thing.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:16 pm

We will see art seeing the fruits of this year over the next couple of years...imo payoff will come in 2019 :D
Then with hindsight we will repeat 2000 in 20/20

Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:48 pm

x2 ..... it is all about games into our future guns. All else is irrelevant.

And if that Carlscum turd wins the RS I'll just spew. What's harder to play? CHB running one way? Or inside throwing your body in and disposal that is like lightening and generally hitting targets with tacklers coming at you from ALL sides?

I saw Hepps debut year and thought WOW. Its double WOW with Parish at pick 5 no less. =D>