Hibberd Gone

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Hibberd Gone

Post by nudder12 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Michael Hibberd has informed the Club that he wishes to seek a fresh start elsewhere next season.

The 26 year-old has thanked the Club for its ongoing support during what was a difficult decision making process.

"I really appreciate the Club giving me the time and space I needed to reach this decision about my playing future," Hibberd said.

"I had a process to work through, and after having time to reflect I felt like I need a fresh start at another Club to reinvigorate my career.

"I have, and will always have, great mates at the Club and I wish them and the Club all the best for next season and beyond. I have no ill feeling toward Essendon, and would like to thank them for giving me the opportunity to play senior football".

Essendon Chief Executive Officer, Xavier Campbell, said the Club would respect Michael’s wishes.

“Obviously we are disappointed Michael won’t be continuing his career at Essendon, but we understand and respect the reason behind his decision and will not stand in his way,” Campbell said.

“We will now work to find a fair and reasonable outcome for both Michael and the Essendon Football Club.

“Finally, on behalf of the Club I’d like to thank Michael for his professionalism and contribution, he will always be welcome at the Essendon Football Club and we wish him all the best for the future.”

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hibberd Gone

Post by Crazyman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:44 pm

It's a shame, but not a great loss with Walla coming on.
Good luck to him I say...

Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:16 pm

@#$/ Him.......

little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Hard one. Like Melksham prob offered overs, but still a good player.

The silver lining is an ability to sign other uncontracted.(eg Laverde)

We need Jobe to come back. We can replace the bassist but not the lead singer.

Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Ungrateful c**t. F**k him.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:53 pm

Been handed info/ rumour that he could be going to Geelong, 4 years $1.7m.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Flip wrote:Ungrateful c**t. F**k him.
Moron. Club has repeatedly stated they won't stop players from going and after everything that happened you come up with this gem...

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:30 pm

The exodus has started. :shock: :roll: :wink:

Sorry to see him go, but ultimately, Hibbo is someone we should be able to cover. If we can somehow have Dea stay on, then not such a big loss. I have no idea how we'd manage to keep Dea though.

Hibbo hasn't been the player he was. I've felt his skills were suffering, specifically overhead marking and short passing. He had developed a habit of slightly dropping his head when marking, often missing them and his turnovers from short kicks were more occasional than they had been. These were things I noticed him do, mostly when coming back from injury and were uncharacteristic of his otherwise tough Franghanistan origins. He was a slow one to get form back once injured.

Anyhow, that's how I see him, whether that's correct or not. An excellent player that lost the edge. The saga maybe implicated there...dunno.

Hibbo was a very good VFL player that made good. Good luck to him wherever he goes, except against the EFC.

Now, what do we get for him? Was he still under contract?

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Gimps wrote:Been handed info/ rumour that he could be going to Geelong, 4 years $1.7m.
Gee, $425000 a year. Frankston boy does good and who could blame him for taking such a deal? What might he had got at Essendon?

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:57 pm

F111 wrote:Now, what do we get for him? Was he still under contract?[/color]
IMO a 2nd round pick is fair value...

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Sad to see him go. At his best he is a great back flanker. With what these players have been through you can't hold anything against them for leaving.

If Melksham was worth pick 25 then pig is worth a pick between 15-20.

Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Yes, it's sad to see him go but life goes on.
He probably could see the writing on the wall that he is basically a back line player & with versatility a requirement in modern day football, his days were numbered. Especially now that he would have to contend with Baguley, Tippa, Gleeson, McKenna, Ambrose, Brown, Goddard, Francis & possibly Gwilt & hopefully Dea. These guys are all vying for his position. Hurley, Hooker & Hartley can cover the talls, so Hibberd's opportunities are less now than what they were previously.
Under these circumstances, If he could get a 4 year deal, good luck to him. I'm sure the Bombers were not offering a 4 year deal, especially now they have guys like Heppell & Hurley on long termers.
We also get the opportunity to get a good player in the draft, surely a 2nd rounder.
Win - Win all round.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Sad to see Hibberd go - he rarely dropped his head and gave his all on the ground. But it could be good for both him and us.

But... If he goes to Melb - best pick currently on offer (before any trades) is pick 28 (their next is 46) and for Geelong, their best is pick 33 (their next is 38) as they both traded away their 2016 first round picks last year.

Makes the Jake M deal look like overs.

I'd see us happy with a trade with those teams for their first (albeit 2nd round) pick this year plus their second round next year as I can't see realistic trades any players from their list that we would need.

If he were to be traded to Gold Coast - we may be able to snag pick 5 or 10 (OK not on) or perhaps two of picks 21, 23, 24, 26 let alone what they get for Prestia and possibly O'Meara.

Cheers
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Although you don't want to see good players leave, Hibberd will have some currency when it comes to trading.

All in all, I think EFC will survive.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah cheers for all the above reasons. Brilliantly consistent once, ran hot n cold last year. Wish him well. Did I hear somebody say Gwilt? :roll:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Flip wrote:Ungrateful c**t. F**k him.
Stay classy hero.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:47 pm

adios

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:40 pm

BERT wrote:Sad to see him go. At his best he is a great back flanker. With what these players have been through you can't hold anything against them for leaving.

If Melksham was worth pick 25 then pig is worth a pick between 15-20.
All of THIS.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:53 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
Sad to see Hibberd go - he rarely dropped his head and gave his all on the ground. But it could be good for both him and us.

But... If he goes to Melb - best pick currently on offer (before any trades) is pick 28 (their next is 46) and for Geelong, their best is pick 33 (their next is 38) as they both traded away their 2016 first round picks last year.

Makes the Jake M deal look like overs.

I'd see us happy with a trade with those teams for their first (albeit 2nd round) pick this year plus their second round next year as I can't see realistic trades any players from their list that we would need.

If he were to be traded to Gold Coast - we may be able to snag pick 5 or 10 (OK not on) or perhaps two of picks 21, 23, 24, 26 let alone what they get for Prestia and possibly O'Meara.

Cheers
Doesn't mean we can't trade for future picks with either of those clubs... :wink:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:31 am

Hibberd and our 3rd rounder for Motlop.