HEP C...D, B OR A?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

HEP C...D, B OR A?

Post by Daisy..1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 pm

...just wanted to get everyones thoughts on Heps' performance as Captain this season? What mark would you give him thus far? Personally, i am not completely sold as bad as that sounds...i don't see him as being very vocal or as "motivating" on game day...but perhaps that really doesn't matter. I give him a C+..... :-#

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: HEP C...D, B OR A?

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Hard to gauge this as a spectator. We tend to mark captains by there deeds on the field and how they are performing. The players (peers) choose the captain. Therefore, they must think he ticks all the boxes in the things we don't necessarily see - being vocal, motivational etc
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Gee Daisy,that's an awfull thing to give him.

Hope he's had all his Shots this year. :lol: :mrgreen:

On a Serious note,I'll mark his season as B.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:29 am

From all reports he's doing a great job. But....I do wish he would use less "footyspeak" when being inteviewd. You know, this sort of thing

"Yeah nah, this is not the brand of footy we set foot ourselves as a unit. We want to be true to our core values and commit to honest football. The boys wanna identify the different metrics that impact our contested ball and help us to focus on our positional spread"

Seriously Dyse....you're from Gippsland not KPMG.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:06 pm

B- from me

But are his pressers any better or worse than Wooshas?.

"Oh yeah....yeah....yeah....oh....yeah....well yeah, he had a bit of trouble....yeah...I guess... yeah... I suppose that was our plan....oh well yeah....our plan for next time..." :D

nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm

*Controverisal opinion incoming*

He is half the player he was before he became captain.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:29 am
From all reports he's doing a great job. But....I do wish he would use less "footyspeak" when being inteviewd. You know, this sort of thing

"Yeah nah, this is not the brand of footy we set foot ourselves as a unit. We want to be true to our core values and commit to honest football. The boys wanna identify the different metrics that impact our contested ball and help us to focus on our positional spread"

Yeah, I heard that and almost fell over. What the....??? Garbage. The only part of it I liked was that he didn't say his usual "No doubt". The Club need to get a media trainer for him.
As for captain material. I'm undecided. I'm probably old school and want to see more of on-field leadership by deeds and actions.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm

nomolos wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm
*Controverisal opinion incoming*

He is half the player he was before he became captain.
I wouldn't say half the player, but certainly lesser. I think he got away with a bit before captaincy - stats looked good. But now he get's looked at more critically and even if he has similar stats now, there's a bit of a lack of impact from them that was overlooked before. I reckon he's got slower too.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Not knowing what goes on behind closed doors can only base opinion on what happens game day...

Therefore I have to rate him B as I just don't see the impact consistently enough.

That said he ain't Nick Maxwell so there's plenty of upside :lol:

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 pm

He's traveling ok. Could be better, but so far, so good.

Game one v hawks he was brilliant. He's been middling a few times but generally he's a solid contributor with the occasional much improved effort.

I've never thought Hep was great by foot and that opinion hasn't changed a hell of a lot. He gets the ball in close and often tries to get it out by foot under pressure. It can mean accuracy is less than desirable. However, if he can continue to kick scores as a mid, a captains goal on a regular basis, then he's the type that will maintain touch and skill and can break a game open.

B for me.

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:12 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:29 am

Yeah, I heard that and almost fell over. What the....??? Garbage. The only part of it I liked was that he didn't say his usual "No doubt". The Club need to get a media trainer for him.
As for captain material. I'm undecided. I'm probably old school and want to see more of on-field leadership by deeds and actions.
Yes agree....i think thats where i am coming from...i love a Captain that shows emotion, good or bad....Jobe was a great motivator, always encouraging, huddling the players. We dont want the extreme of BJ who loves to play the "blame game" and chuck tanties and pointing fingers ...albeit not when it comes to his shit decisions...but just want Heps to Fire the Bleep Up a Bit...make his presence known.....thats what a Captain should do!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:16 pm

I think he will develop into the role which will hopefully see it become less of a concern for him (if it is) and allow him to get back to his AA best.

In the background you have some pretty decent on-field lieutenants in Hurley, Hooker and Joey who are also providing a strong on field presence

Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 pm

I've felt like a bad supporter all year for feeling like he maybe wasn't the best man for the job. So I'm glad to read that you guys are thinking similar thoughts. Gun player no doubt and as long as the players like and respect him that's key but... I don't feel like he's really playing a captains game most of the time? He gets in and gets the job done but I don't get a leader vibe from him :(
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.

Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Oh and Daisy kudos, I love the post name :mrgreen: =D>
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I wonder if the Captaincy has impacted on his game? He definitely needs Media Training and I think the club are slack for having not provided it, if they haven't already. This is one skill he needs to have - he sounds like a country hick and is not a natural in that capacity. (I'm not having a go at coming from a country town, I live in a country town myself.) He is certainly very different than many of the past Essendon Captains, hopefully he will grow and develop into the role. We, must remember, he is his own man and is as unlike Jobe as he could possibly be, accept for loving the red and black.

Dyson has not yet convinced me, he's the best he can be in the Captain's role. I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I gave him a 5.
Last edited by mdso on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:40 pm

mdso wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm
I wonder if the Captaincy has impacted on his game? He definitely needs Media Training and I think the club are slack for having not provided it, if they haven't already. This is one skill he needs to have - he sounds like a country hick and is not a natural in that capacity. (I'm not having a go at coming from a country town, I live in one myself.) He is certainly very different than many of the past Essendon Captains, hopefully he will grow and develop into the role. We, must remember, he is his own man and is as unlike Jobe as he could possibly be, accept for loving the red and black.
Dyson has not yet convinced me, he's the best he can be in the Captain's role. I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I gave him a 5.
I thought that's what he wanted to be - a country Hick, mixing a bit of bovine titty with the oblong ball. Kicking six yellow pills into a milk can. Isn't that his thing? :P

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 am

Terry Daniher for the 21st century.

This bloke has my support.

I reckon he is building - wouldnt be an easy gig with the returnees and the competing egos that go with all that.
It will all be academic - when he captains our first finals win in over a decade.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:56 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm

His best game since Round 1 and what a difference he makes when on song. Now if we could just surround him with one or two more quality mids we might have a team

Oh yeah, and a dominant ruckman please

Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Rating definitely went up today.
Deserves to have next year before he is questioned, the year off has to be a factor.
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives