Devon Smith

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Devon Smith

Post by boncer34 »

Well he's nominated us. Feels good to beat the Cats to one.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
hop
Club Captain

Re: Devon Smith

Post by hop »

Another forward.

If we land both him and Stringer it will probably mean Walla, Fanta, Stringer and even Smith will be considered for time in the middle.

Stringer maybe.... but are these the tough in and unders we are looking for?
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

hop wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:42 am Another forward.

If we land both him and Stringer it will probably mean Walla, Fanta, Stringer and even Smith will be considered for time in the middle.

I've been assured he can play midfield.

Who knows.

And Hop you're getting this question coz I'm sick of people asking. But where are all the available grunt midfielders? Rockliff? He's getting stupid money. Who else? Anyone?

They're not available so the smart move is to upgrade our list. Smith and Stringer do that.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I hope/think Smith can play a midfield role, I also reckon he was GWS`s 2nd best small forward (after Green).

Prolly good for 25-30 goals a year, BUT we really need some midfield 'grunt' with all our recent retirees.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:28 am Well he's nominated us. Feels good to beat the Cats to one.
lol, just recently heard chris scott say that the cats were a "destination club". sounded kind of smug about it. now the lowly dons have had 2 relatively sought after players nominate us over them.

up yours scott.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Very happy about this one - I did ask about where he was at with his contract with GWS in the other thread on who we want.

Direct replacement for Colyer and would be an upgrade!!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am

Who knows.

And Hop you're getting this question coz I'm sick of people asking. But where are all the available grunt midfielders? Rockliff? He's getting stupid money. Who else? Anyone?

They're not available so the smart move is to upgrade our list. Smith and Stringer do that.
I totally agree.

The point is though......if it is 'in-and-under' 'grunt' mid-fielders that we need (and I think Blind Freddie can see that) then we need to be proactive about it and not wait for them to become available.

If Smith and Stringer can go int the mid-field as well as compliment our forwards (and I don't just mean saying nice things about them) then these two are welcome additions.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

hop wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Who knows.

I totally agree.

The point is though......if it is 'in-and-under' 'grunt' mid-fielders that we need (and I think Blind Freddie can see that) then we need to be proactive about it and not wait for them to become available.

If Smith and Stringer can go int the mid-field as well as complement our forwards (and I don't just mean saying nice things about them) then these two are welcome additions.
fixed :)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

No for me if Stringer too. Keep looking . Sick of someone "becoming" a mid if called upon. Keep wheeling and dealing. If we get Stringer thecfwd line is right, even if Hooker has to go back.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

hop wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Who knows.

I totally agree.

If Smith and Stringer can go int the mid-field as well as compliment our forwards (and I don't just mean saying nice things about them) then these two are welcome additions.
All fair points Hop but we are actively trying to solve that problem. Unfortunately what we need is one of the most prized commodity's in the game so its not an easy thing to find.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Yes we need in and under midfielders which are in short supply. Devon Smith, Saad and if we get Stringer. Will improve our midfield/fwd line. The midfield has been a real weak point for us for a long time and we are improving else where and becoming more competitive..

What we do need is another ruckman. What about the guy who rucked all year for Williamstown in the VFL and killed it? I think his surname is Meres. Draper is not quite ready yet but will be sooner rather than later and we'll have to wait and see how Belly goes with another pre-season under his belt. Luenberger as a spare. We still have a few blokes to delist yet. Looks like a promising year coming up for us and we come out of the haze.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Anyway, I'm over surnames beginning with H.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm Anyway, I'm over surnames beginning with H.
would you be upset if we got Harrison Himmelberg? :)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Or Hapawati Hamstring :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm Anyway, I'm over surnames beginning with H.
would you be upset if we got Harrison Himmelberg? :)
I heard we're after Hamish Hartlett
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Grrrrrrr......

Anyway. Check out Dev's career stats. I'm impressed

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Smith.html
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy_Hill post_id=305333 time=1507305786 user_id=89]
Grrrrrrr......

Anyway. Check out Dev's career stats. I'm impressed

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Smith.html

Hmm solid stats. Wonder what his weight and height is right now?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Fox Sport reporting that a deal has been done for Smith -

ESSENDON and Greater Western Sydney have agreed on a deal that would see Giant Devon Smith traded for Pick 11 and the Bombers receiving two second-round choices.

Under the deal, which is understood to have been secured on Thursday, the Bombers will give up the prized Pick 11 for Smith, but receive GWS’ Pick 24 and a future second-round choice (2018) in return.

GWS would also receive a later pick, probably Essendon’s future (2018) third rounder.

The agreement between the Bombers and Giants is the first main deal to be struck in the 2017 trade period.

The deal for Smith leaves Essendon with additional second round picks with which to try and strike deals for Adam Saad from Gold Coast and — in what has been the most problematic trade — Jake Stringer from the Bulldogs.

The Dogs had rejected an Essendon offer that would have seen pick 11 traded for Stringer, with the Bulldogs’ second rounder, pick no 27, sent back to the Bombers. Essendon would also have given up a third-round pick, no pick 47.

But the Bulldogs’ firm stance on Stringer has seen Essendon move quickly to strike a deal with GWS, which had the advantage of holding more second round choices — bearing in mind that the Giants have been offered a future second round choice by Fremantle and were holding two second-round selections this year (Pick 24 and 26).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Don't make any mistake. This is a shot at the Dogs.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Welcome to Essendon Devon. We hope you like playing in front of big crowds.