First deal of Trade Period - Luke Lavender

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Club Captain

First deal of Trade Period - Luke Lavender

Post by s'dreams » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm

BOMBERS SIGN FORMER CRICKETER

Essendon has signed former cricketer Luke Lavender as a Category B Rookie.

The 21 year old stands 202cm tall and was highly sought after when he made the decision to pursue a professional football career.

Lavender qualified as a Category B Rookie because he hasn’t been registered within a football competition in the last three years.

“It’s so exciting, I can’t wait to get over there and join the team,” Lavender said.

“I’m really looking forward to getting into it during the pre-season and try to earn a spot in the side.
“I can’t wait to see what the boys are like behind the scenes and be a part of that.

“I’ve always loved footy and grew up playing the game without ever really giving it a serious crack but now is the time for me to see how far I can really take it.”

Hope the deal wasn't done on the basis of his highlights reel ... :shock: :shock: :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEW9JlacBk[/YouTube]
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: First deal of Trade Period - Luke Lavender

Post by Sismis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 pm

202 cm, decent athlete, well worth a project spot.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Category B Rookie Luke Lavender has called time on his AFL career.

Injuries have been cited as a major reason for Lavender giving it away.

Perhaps a bridge too far for a project player.

Do we get a chance to add another rookie now?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 pm

sorry for the young lad but surely this could have been a move made after last season and not on the cusp of the new one??

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Injuries? Wasn't he fastest in some time trial recently?. :roll:

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 pm
sorry for the young lad but surely this could have been a move made after last season and not on the cusp of the new one??
Likely he was trying to see how his body was holding up over the preseason, and if he thought he had a chance of making enough improvement to push for selection. With the addition of Zac Clarke, the chances of that happening were slim.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Gimps wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Likely he was trying to see how his body was holding up over the preseason, and if he thought he had a chance of making enough improvement to push for selection. With the addition of Zac Clarke, the chances of that happening were slim.
+ 1

“Unfortunately, my body just hasn’t been able to cope with the demands of the sport. While it’s been frustrating, I recently had post-season surgery on my shoulder and I had to be realistic about the prospects of being able to return and push for senior selection........."

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:44 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm
Gimps wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
+ 1

“Unfortunately, my body just hasn’t been able to cope with the demands of the sport. While it’s been frustrating, I recently had post-season surgery on my shoulder and I had to be realistic about the prospects of being able to return and push for senior selection........."
What, he was on a probation period? No, sorry, the decision from a list management perspective should have been made earlier. The guy's performances on the track over the last 12 months coupled with his injury record should have been enough for the club to say, ok, lets all part ways - back in October last year. Like I said, I am sorry for the young lad - I am sure he worked his ass off, but...

I know he wasn't holding down a senior list spot so in all likelihood its really no big deal.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Give us a spell, Windy. The bloke had post-season surgery in an attempt to fix an obvious issue. That obviously get him to the place he wanted to be. If the club thought he was no good, they would have given him the arse.

He was a Category B Rookie, who gives a shit.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Gimps wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 pm
He was a Category B Rookie, who gives a shit.
Couldn't agree more

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:05 pm

I font understand the disrespect shown here. He was a “lucky dip” selection, so expectations weren’t high. He gave it a crack and it hasn’t worked out for him. No need for the disdain and loathing.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:05 pm
I font understand the disrespect shown here. He was a “lucky dip” selection, so expectations weren’t high. He gave it a crack and it hasn’t worked out for him. No need for the disdain and loathing.

Can you point out the loathing please???

1. Have expressed my sorrow for the lad and appreciate his efforts (made that point twice in fact)
2. The list management criticism is aimed at the club, not the player
3. Its an incredibly minor issue, isn't it?

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:26 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 am
Windy Hille wrote:

1. Have expressed my sorrow for the lad and appreciate his efforts (made that point twice in fact)
I thought the tone of the message was distespectful to the kid. The loathing (I agree) was aimed at the club and what I was actually referring to without being specific to it. It is a minor issue. That’s what I think most are saying about it...no need to criticise the club or player about the situation.

The club would give him every chance to make something of his opportunity. Why would they pull the plug on a rookie at the end of last season, after just, one season?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:29 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:26 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 am
Windy Hille wrote:

..no need to criticise the club or player about the situation.
Yes sir