ESSENDON Anniversary Reflections 1993 PREMIERS!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

ESSENDON Anniversary Reflections 1993 PREMIERS!

Post by grassy1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

As Premierships go,this one's a Bewdy.

Barring one Fly in the ointment,there is so much to love about this Flag and Season.

Like the fact we Won The Double,Day and Night,with a Night GF Attendance Record of 75000+set at VFL Park.

The Draw against Carlton,albeit not a Win was a Clinker and gave us some early optimism of what might lie ahead.

Some patchy form either side of the draw,culminated in us lying 12th,with
a Win and Draw from 5 games.

Then THAT Match against the Cats,where
Ablett kicked 14.7 and we still Won by 4 Goals,with a Fantastic contribution by many,including 10 Goals from The Fish,set the wheels in motion where the Wins mounted and We Finished Top,despite our Injury Hit Loss to the Cats.

For some more closer reflection on our great Wins and our Brilliant Finals Campaign,I'll hand it over to you guys that were there to reflect on our Glory and Fame that was 1993.

I was only pumped up watching it unfold on TV.

One request though for the Players and Coaches Reunion - Derek,if you are invited for the 25th Anniversary and you ard still cheesed off,please bury the hatchet with Kevin and enjoy the Occassion Finally! [-o<
Last edited by grassy1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: ESSENDON Anniversary Reflections 1993

Post by BERT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:14 pm

I love this flag. I was doing Year 12 that year so wasn’t much younger than most of the side.

The win against The Eagles when Sheeds waved the jacket was when I thought we could win it. It’s probably when the players realised it as well.

The prelim against The crows is still my favourite ever game.

Even though the kids were outstanding, we were so well led by the senior players like Bomber, Harves, O’D, Fish and Timmy.

This goal produced one of the top 3 roars I’ve ever heard at the MCG.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Yep Bert,plenty to love about this Gem of a Season.

Everyone's free to discuss a heap of things that went on,even reflecting on what went wrong when we lost and what we did to bounce right back.

It's still got me beat about Norf exploding in the last quarter like they did for 8.8,which would knock the stuffing out of most teams the following week.

The Loss against Collingwood on Easter Monday may have been most annoying,but back then,did we see signs of promise for the future!

Love the fact that Gavin's Brownlow still caused Sean's old sparring partner to moan and whine about it for several years after, :lol:

Perhaps we discuss each match from that year on a Round by Round Basis?

That match against the Cats.Did Harry (Beitzel)and Tommy(Lahiff) call that Classic on the Radio and which station was it on?

Loved seeing Tommy out on the ground with Timmy after the Big One.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 pm

I’ll start from R20, 1992. I sat and watched us at the MCG get dismembered by Hawthorn by 160 points. A f****** annihilation. I wondered if that was going to rip the guts out of the club. 27 games later, we lifted the premiership cup!

1993 started well in a pre-season sense. We won the pre-season (Fosters Cup) by beating Richmond in the Grand Final. Gavin Wanganeen was the Michael Tuck medallist. There was news that Tim Watson was making a come back.

Our season proper started rather slowly.

We lost to West Coast in R1 with Boris playing a blinder kicking 8 goals. Young kids Hird, Mercuri & Misiti played well also.

We had a draw in R2 against Carlton when Kernahan famously kicked it out on the full after the siren. That day, Mercuri & Misiti we’re in the thick of it again. Hird kicked 3 sausages, and Cransberg 4. It was a game of constant lead changes, but one we let slip due to a error by Kickett who was called out by Greg Williams with a handball that changed the momentum of play and cost us the win. Still, we were lucky to escape with a draw in the end.

R3 saw us lose to Collingwood by 5 goals. Salmon kicked 5 snags, and Misiti was in the best again. Wanganeen was also prominent, but Rocca and Starcevich combined with 9 goals up forward to defeat us.

R4 was our first win for the season. Against Sydney up in Sydney (where else). An 86 point win was engineered by 6 goals from Hird, and 5 each from Brad Plain and Paul Salmon. Misiti got almost 40 touches, and the old hands in O’Donnell and Harvey dominated.

R5 was another loss. This time to the Bulldogs by 46 points. Poor kicking from Hird (2.5), and good kicking from Danny Del Re (6.1) and Scott West (6.0) sunk us.

So, only 1 win from the first 5 rounds was not a great start to the season - and we sat in 11th position.

More to come...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Looking forward to it Ben.

Just out of interest,when Clubs have these reunions,is it just the Premiership Players and Coach that gets the invite?

Or does this extend to Squad Players,Club Officials and Volunteers?

Who was your Timekeeper that year and how long did he serve the Club?

As long as Perth's Len Waldock who held his Manual Stopwatch for 63 Years,after his Father did the same for 47 years?

Someone I know has a long way to go to even get to 25. :-"

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm

My DOB is 30/9/85 and my older brother's DOB is 25/9/83 and, despite living in Perth at the time, we flew over for the GF as it was our birthday present.

Such a fun day. We had two very rowdy middle-aged Essendon women in front of us who ripped a bunch of black and red streamers off their pom-poms to drape us in, because our scarves alone didn't show enough support :lol:. I also remember there being a number of 'neutrals' around us, all of whom seemed to go for Essendon that particular day - it felt like we were the crowd favourite.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 pm

My fondest memory was Preliminary Final day. I was playing a State Basketball tournament in Albury that weekend. I was playing a game whilst the first half of the footy was being played. One of the fathers (of a kid on my team) was a Richmond nuffie - he had a trannie, and was yelling out the score to me each time we went down one end of the court. The c*** was getting chirpy as Adelaide kicked away. This made me angry, and I took it out on the other team. I scored 38 points, ****** destroyed them. Pity my dad wasn’t there to see it, I discovered he was at a pub watching the footy with another kids’ father, ex- Dogs/ Pies/ Tiges player, Butch Edwards. They returned from the pub that evening absolutely shitfaced.

We were playing at the same stadium a couple of hours later, the parents decided we should just hang around. Not one ****** TV in the joint. So I grabbed the car keys off my mum and headed to the car park. I listened to the entire second half on the radio and went nuts every time we kicked a goal. It was awesome, I’ll never forget it.

The footy finished. I went back inside and gave that Richmond nuffie an almighty serve. The win also got me pumped, helping us go on to win the Basketball tournament.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

Continued...

R6 This was one of the most entertaining games I’ve ever been to. Gary Ablett (easily the best player I have ever seen) kicked 14.7 while Salmon kicked 10.6 for us. The game was played at a ferocious pace, and we managed to kick away in the last 10 minutes to win by 24 points. It was amazing to watch Ablett that day. Virtually every ball that was kicked into their F50 was either marked or sharked by him in freakish style. 25 kicks at full forward. FMD :shock:
Misiti 35 disposals, Bewick 4 goals, and Mercuri 24 disposals played well. Poor ol’ Fletch - a school kid playing on Superman #-o (Although I think 8 different players had a go that day)

R7 Bye

R8 Tim Watson’s come back game. 20 disposals in a 58 point win over the Saints. I remember Timmy being interviewed after the game and he talked about how impressed he was by our kids - Hird, Misiti, Mercuri, Wanganeen. Hird kicked 4 that day, Mercuri a couple, while Misiti gathered 29 disposals. The old heads in O’Donnell and Bomber Thompson played well also. While young Fletch kept Lockett to 4 goals. What a contrast in physiques that was :shock:

R9 Another victory, this time by 46 points over Adelaide at the G. Bewick kicked 4 goals, while young punks Hird and Mercuri kicked 3. Kickett got amongst the goals with 3 also. Misiti gathered another 30 disposals, and our defenders Harvey, Bomber, and Wanganeen had a field day - all getting over 30 disposals. Fletch kept Modra to 3 goals.

R10 A struggle against Fitzroy saw us snatch victory by 4 points in the dying seconds of the game. Fitzroy were in the top 6 at that stage. Tim Watson was the hero with 4 goals, and Salmon also kicked 4. Misiti gathered yet another 30 disposals and also deposited a couple of goals. Hird and Olarenshaw also played well and kicked 2 goals each.

R11 This was a cracking match to be at. Hawthorn at Waverley. This was that game we were getting screwed by the umpires and Sheedy went off at half time. I think this was the game where he referred to them as Martians. They were abysmal in all honesty. But this was the birth of Hird being labelled a champion by Brooce. We overran then after half time to win the game by 30 points. Hird was magnificent with 26 disposals and 4 goals. The way he won the ball that day was awesome to watch. Pure class. Salmon also kicked 4, and the silky smooth Mercuri kicked 3 from 25 disposals.

So after 11 rounds we were sitting in 3rd position behind West Coast and North Melbourne...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 am

It's got me Buggered why Ablett didn't Win Mark of The Year that season,instead of Modra,Ben.

He had to climb over a Pack to take That Screamer.Modra had it easy getting Mick Martyn as a stepladder.

No way Ablett should have been paid That Mark,the season after.He touched it for half a second and should have been penalised for climbing all over his opponent.

Still,that stretch of 5 straight Wins,set the wheels in motion.Things were looking good,with Melbourne,the next Test,with Allen Jackovich on Fire,....

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 am

Just going back to 1992 briefly,what's the opinion of you guys that spent a lot of time at Windy Hill that year,of Denis Pagan's contribution to The Club,coaching The Reserves to the '92 Flag?

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm

This was the team at his disposal:

The last time Essendon played Melbourne in a Grand Final of any sort was in 1992 when they met in the reserves Grand Final.

And a number of Bombers in the current senior unit will remember what it is like to play in a big one against the Demons.

Four currrent players were in that winning side and a number of other big names were associated with the win.

Centre half forward in that side was none other than current captain James Hird. Joe Misiti was in the centre while Mark Mercuri was cruising the wing.

Steve Alessio played in the ruck and Sean Denham was ruck rover. Bombers assistant coach Terry Daniher played his last game for the club and kicked six goals.

Mark Harvey, Michael Long and Darren Bewick were ineligible to play in the game while Dean Wallis was injured.

Dean Bailey (current development coach) was an emergency for the Essendon side as was David Calthorpe.

Dustin Fletcher played for the Western Jets in the Under 18 Grand Final prior to the reserves Grand Final and John Barnes played in the senior Grand Final.

Denis Pagan was coach, Glen Manton played at full back and Alan Ezard was captain.

The final score that day was Essendon 18.19 (127) d Melbourne 14.10 (94).

How could he lose!! Pagan must take some credit for the '93 win
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 am

Cheers,Rock.

Pagan's experience in Coaching North's U/19's would have helped.So too were the 4 or 5(?)Flags he already had.

Everyone talked about who was a Hafey disciple.but who Denis a Disciple of?

Barassi?Nicholls?Maybe someone out of Left Field like Ray Jordan?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Was watching America's Game(The SuperBowl Champions)this morning,which today covered the 1994 San Francisco 49ers,narrated by Bruce Willis.

Whilst BomberBlitz '93 is terrific to watch,I was just wondering if there's any other DVD that focuses almost Solely on Our Premiership Successes for that particular season?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 am

The Crows(after burning Nigel Smart's feet and dare I say,a few others in '92)were hauling Trucks.

The Doggies parachuted into Port Phillip Bay.

What did Sheeds get up to with our boys in the Pre-Season of '93? 8)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

R12 The team came crashing to Earth after a top win against the Hawks to lose to the lowly placed Demons (haven’t we seen this sort of shit in the past decade?). Allen Jakovich kicked 8 sausages while our best was Misiti with 32 disposals. The loss saw us drop to 6th position.

R13 Saw us crush Richmond by 78 points. Brad Plain kicked 5 goals and Kickett 4. O’Donnell was prolific with 35 disposals and 3 goals. David Grenvold played his best game for the club with 30 touches and 2 snags. That night I was at the social club with most of the players. I heard Harves say to Grenvold “great game today Grenners, but why did you handball to that prick in the square?” - in reference to Grenvold handballing to Brad Plain on the goal line as Grenvold ran into an open goal. Grenvold just replied “had to do the team thing Harves” with a grin on his face. Obvious to me that Plain was not well liked.

R14 Party time at the G with a 116 point win over the Brisbane teddy Bears. 12 different goal kickers with Somerville kicking 4 and Bewick, Plain and Symons kicking 3. Misiti topped the disposal tally with 36.

R15 Saw a loss to top of the ladder North Melbourne by 38 points. The disappointing part was that we lead by 10 points at 3Q time. Adrian (the freak) McAdam kicked 6 for them, as did John Longmire. Plain kicked 4 for us while Bomber Thompson and Longy got over 30 disposals. The loss meant we dropped out of the top 6.

R16 Was a real corker of a match. The jacket waving game. A narrow 2 point win against the reigning premier with Paul Salmon kicking the match winner after missing a shitload during the game. O’Donnell and Sean Denham got over 30 disposals, while a group of players chipped in with a couple of goals each - Hird, Kickett and Somerville. The win meant we popped back into the top 6 at the expense of West Coast. The vision of Sheeds post match is now stuff of legend 8)

R17 A solid win against 3rd placed scum saw us jump into their position. 21 point victory was punctuated by a 5 goal performance from favourite son Timmy Watson. Kickett kicked 3, while an even performance from the whole team saw many players gathering 20+ disposals - with Harves gathering the most with 26.

R18 A big 68 point win against Collingwood saw us jump into 2nd position. On a wettish sort of night, our skills were excellent. Bewick kicked 4 goals, with Salmon, Kickett and Watson kicking 3. Long, Misiti and Mercuri were dominant.

R19 Saw us beat the bottom of the barrel Sydney by only 21 points. Simon Minton-Connell kicked 8 majors for them, while Bewick and Symons kicked 3 each for us. Mercuri was in good form with 29 disposals. Longy was also in top flight with 23 disposals and 2 goals. The win saw us move into top position.

R20 A 15 point victory over 10th placed Footscray saw us maintain top spot. This was the Derek Kickett freak show - some spectacular marks and 8 phenomenal goals. Boris Bewick also lit up the day with some cracking goals. One from half back where he ran his arse off and slotted one through. IMO, there was hardly a better sight than Bewick blitzing the field and slotting goals on the run. He was a gun of a kick.

R21 A loss to Geelong by 32 points saw us drop to 2nd place. Dustin Fletcher injured himself just after half time (and had kept Ablett goalless). Kickett was moved into Ablett (which saw some freakish contests between the two of them), with Ablett kicking 3 by the end of the game. Misiti, Somerville and Salmon all kicked 3, while Mercuri gathered 31 disposals.

R22 Bye

A f****** weird scenario saw us jump up to 1st position even when we didn’t play in R22. It was an amazing achievent considering all the kids we had playing during the season. We were scheduled to play Carlton in a Qualifying Final in the first ever final played under lights...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Rounds 17 - 19 gave moi a sense of Smugness.

Knockin’ Orf those weagle Bastards,the scum and Filth formed a Major part of my satisfaction in 1993.

And the best was yet to come,save a little hiccup.Replacing the filth with the bloody galahs greatly sufficed.

Funny thing about that Round 18 game.It was pissin’ down in Melbourne(ok,it was light drizzle)and pissin’ down in Perth.

Would have loved to have been at The
G that night and kicked on to the Essendon Football Club afterwards,but watching it on the Big Screen at Swanbourne Hotel(sadly gone),with quite a few drinks under the belt,warm as toast,.....Ahhhh,Bliss! vingertje

Watching DGen on Saturday Nights on the same screen,with quite a few drinks under the belt,was almost as good. 8)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm

QUALIFYING FINAL

This was to be the first AFL finals game played under lights. We had a few injuries going into this game against Carlton: Dustin Fletcher, James Hird, Bomber Thompson were all missing, while old hands in Alan Ezard and Anthony Daniher filled in.

It was a close encounter the whole game, with numerous lead changes. In the end, we went down by 2 lousy points. Salmon 4, Bewick 3, Timmy Watson 3 and Mercuri 2 all banged on goals. Symons kicked 2 snags as well. But it was the one he missed that seemed to cost us the game. Greg Williams gave away a free kick to Symons around half back. He gave away a 50 metre penalty also. Then Sean Denham antagonised him, and he gave away a 2nd 50 metre penalty. So Symons went from half back to about 15 metres out from goal, and then farken missed. Shitfull. Losing to those maggots, made me irate.

Wanganeen with 29 disposals, Mercuri with 28, and Longy with 27 were our most prolific ball winners.

We were then made to play the reigning premier West Coast in a Semi Final...

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:59 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:07 pm
QUALIFYING FINAL

This was to be the first AFL finals game played under lights. We had a few injuries going into this game against Carlton: Dustin Fletcher, James Hird, Bomber Thompson were all missing, while old hands in Alan Ezard and Anthony Daniher filled in.

It was a close encounter the whole game, with numerous lead changes. In the end, we went down by 2 lousy points. Salmon 4, Bewick 3, Timmy Watson 3 and Mercuri 2 all banged on goals. Symons kicked 2 snags as well. But it was the one he missed that seemed to cost us the game. Greg Williams gave away a free kick to Symons around half back. He gave away a 50 metre penalty also. Then Sean Denham antagonised him, and he gave away a 2nd 50 metre penalty. So Symons went from half back to about 15 metres out from goal, and then farken missed. Shitfull. Losing to those maggots, made me irate.

Wanganeen with 29 disposals, Mercuri with 28, and Longy with 27 were our most prolific ball winners.

We were then made to play the reigning premier West Coast in a Semi Final...
Still remember that game. I was sitting in the old Olympic Stand. I was only 11 years old, but still remember the disappointment of losing to those c****. Though, made the flag a little bit sweeter, a few weeks later.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 am

It was a Bugger losing that Final,but it worked out beautifully in the end.

North and Hawthorn got rolled and Eliminated when perhaps it was previously thought,that either those 2 might have been the most likely to go on with it,as opposed to the rest of the finals participants.

Just as things fell beautifully into place for a 4th placed team in ‘92,so did it do the same for us,with a Double Chance.

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:56 am

That was a wonderful and unlikely Premiership.

Isn't it funny how things change? Back then we took success in our stride and there was always the expectation that our club would do well - even if we were rebuilding a team with kids - you knew that things were always promising and the club had a real optimism about it.

God l miss those days from the early to mid-1980's, through to the early 00's.

These days we are back to the depressing 1970's!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.