ESSENDON Anniversary Reflections 1993 PREMIERS!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: ESSENDON Anniversary Reflections 1993

Post by grassy1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 am

Agreed Hop.Though it’s even harder for me to cop,when the Red and Blacks over here are still in the Cellar.

At least Westies broke their 31 year Premiership Drought in 2015.That would have been pretty Special for the Red and Black Faithfull at the Ironically named Richmond Oval. :lol:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

SEMI FINAL

We got back Fletcher, Hird and Ricky O for this game against West Coast, but lost Harvey. I felt nervous about this one as I thought their experience (reigning premiers) would easily take take of our inexperience.

I was quite surprise how we shot out of the blocks for a 3 goal lead at quarter time, which became 32 points by half time. This was to be the margin at the end of the game.

Salmon kicked 4, Keg on legs Calthorpe 3, Boris 2, and Mercurial Mercuri also 2.

Misiti and O’Donnell both got 30 touches, while Longy got 25.

Next up, Adelaide in the Prelim!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38 am

Nice solid Win that.It was almost a Scratch Match for the following week,only the stakes and crowd were a lot higher.

What made things easier according to Bomberon BomberBlitz was West Coast playing unfit players.

Those days in ‘93 were most amusing watching Perth’s Today Tonight promos,which shrieked out headlining stories about the slightest injury or TribunalInjustice to their darlings. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm

PRELIMINARY FINAL

For some reason I felt confident going into this game, maybe it was on the back of beating the reigning premier, and the fact we’re about to play Adelaide at the MCG. Maybe the players felt the same.

We appeared flat footed even though Timmy kicked the first goal of the game. Adelaide were up and about and looked ferocious with their attack on the ball. Only Longy, with his sensational burst goal on the run played with any real grit.

I was worried at quarter time. Then I was numb at half time. 42 points down. I had a row of Adelaide supporters in front of me. They were all laughing and chirpy at the half time break. All I could do was listen to their discussions;
“Should we stay here all week, or shall we come back on Friday?”
“Which hotel should we stay at?”
“I’ll see if I can get a week off work”
One turned around with a big grin on his face. All I could say was “you guys haven’t won the game yet”. He just laughed. My mate turned and whispered to me “we’re gone mate”. I just stared at the centre of the ground and stated “I can visualise a come back”. More laughter. I have to admit, I was dreeeeaaaaamin.

Third quarter started and Salmon won a free kick in front of goal. He missed. f***! Within a minute, Bewick was at the end of a chain of handballs, and in true Boris fashion, he f****** nailed it...
“COMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!”
The noise was deafening. Now I CAN sense it.

After several minutes of high intensity play betweem both arcs, we managed to get the ball in our F50 where it seems a passage of a dozen handballs under extreme pressure released Salmon to snap a goal on his left foot - 28 points the diff. COMMMMMME ONNNNNNN!!!

A few minutes later another F50 entry saw another fierce loose ball contest. And in typical Boris Bewick fashion, he made something look worse than it was and won a free kick. BAAAAANNNNNNGGGG!!!! 22 points the diff.

There was a real sense that we were on a huge roll and that the deficit could be eroded by 3Q time. There was several more minutes of high intensity footy which ended with another F50 entry where Mercuri broke loose from a handball and f****** nailed a goal from 30 metres...

ROOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!

That was the loudest f****** roar I have ever heard in my life. Full stop. My roar was right in the ears of those in front of me. They weren’t going to be spared. I didn’t hear any laughter. Funny that.

Adelaide got the next goal not long after. Back to 22 points.

Quite some time later, Salmon marked low down around 20 metres from goal and slotted it. 17 points the diff.

We won the centre clearance and Bewick won the ball and was tripped as he went to kick it. He won the free, and then subsequently slotted it from 45 out. YESSSSSS!!!!

Just before 3Q time, Andrew Jarman marked the ball 15 metres out. And missed! That miss felt like a goal to us. Only 12 points down at 3Q time. Made up 30 points that quarter with heroic stuff from Long, Wanganeen, Ricky O, Bewick, Mercuri and O’Donnell. In fact, everyone lifted. Especially us fans! I made a casual comment to those in front of me... “ can’t hear you guys laughing now”. Silence.

The mood was good amongst us in the stands during the 3Q time break. We felt if we got the first goal of the last quarter, we’d be able to snatch the game. Still, there was about 30 minutes of play left. A lot can happen.

The last quarter started and around 5 minutes of play saw the ball travel back and forth between the two forward lines. A mistake by a Crows defender saw Boris Bewick take a free kick from an out on the full. He was tight in the forward pocket but slotted a great goal with a drop punt. YOU BEAUTY!!! 6 points the diff.

The ball entered our F50 again with a fierce contest for the loose ball. It ended up in the hands of Boris again who sprinted towards goal and kicked with his left as he was pushed in the back. It was a behind, but he took the free kick. BAAAAAANG!!!! SCORES TIED!!!!

The next 5 minutes of play was played with high intensity. Wanganeen was absolutely sensational in defence, and Denham was running around all over the place. Another F50 entry saw O’Donnell gather a handball from Watson and then slotted a goal from 30 metres out. The ROAR was unfuckingbelievable. The people in front of me must have ended up deaf. Nothing would stop us now. The Adrenalin in my body was absolutely pumping. I can only imagine how the players felt.

Play progressed to see Timmy kick a behind, then the ball transferred back up to Adelaide’s F50 where Modra took a mark and goaled. 1 point the diff in our favour.

It wasn’t long before another great bit of play by Wanganeen saw the ball end up in the hands of James Hird around 40 metres out from goal. BAAAAAANG!!!! Back to 7 points

The next 8 minutes saw a dour struggle with Adelaide adding 1 point in that time. Then Wanganeen applied a magnificent tackle which saw us regain possession and ending up in Tim Watson’s hands around 60 metres from goal. His left foot kick was a shocker, but he followed up to regain possession and slotted a goal from around 45 metres out with a minute to play. The noise was f****** incredible! We have won this game. Everyone went ape shit around me. I was hoarse. Those in front were virtually dead.

The ball was bounced, they gathered possession, and McGuinness kicked a behind as the siren went. 11 point victory. The yelling and shouting continued for ages. I remember yelling to those in front “Forget the hotels, you can stay at my place this week. Interested??” Silence.
Outside of premiership victories, this is easily the best game I’ve ever experienced. Absolutely sensational.

Long was just brilliant. Especially when we were struggling in the first half. His 3rd quarter was pure quality. Bewick was sensational with his precision. Wanganeen phenomenal. Dunny brush Denham was great, and nullified McGuinness in the process. Another hero was David Flood. In my opinion, the best game he played for the club.

I floated out of the MCG that day. The buzz was just unbelievable.

BRING ON NEXT WEEK!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Great Reflections from you there,Ben.

A Million thanks.Great day to be a Bomber,be it at The G,Windy Hill,Perth and those in Adelaide must have had a ball at the expense of Crows supporters. :lol:

Did Longy listen to a thing Sheeds said after the game? :lol:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 am

GRAND FINAL

I was absolutely pumped all week. The euphoria of the Prelim did not subside. The only downer in my view was the news that Kickett was dropped. To make it worse, Wallis was picked. Bullshit in my book.

Other interesting things from my perspective going into the Grand Final was the fact we were playing my number 1 hated side. Pure scum. We owed them after the Qualifying Final loss. I also personally knew Mark Athorn from school. He was in my Year 11 & 12 classes. I also knew Matthew Hogg from living in East Keilor. And also knew Rohan Welsh - the younger brother of my primary school mate David. Their old man John played for Essendon in the ‘60’s.

I laughed when I saw Athorn line up on Longy. He was going to be in for hell. Was I confident about this match? Not really. I was bloody nervous before the first bounce.

The 1st quarter was a dream. We just seemed to control the game from the very first minute. When Longy broke loose and kicked that absolute ripper, I thought this was going to be our day. And I was in that forward pocket where Sooky Silvagni protested on the goal line. It was a f****** goal ya knob. 30 points up at quarter time. Nice.

I didn’t want to feel comfortable with that lead. After all, we made a mockery of a 42 point deficit at half time the week before. We controlled most of the play in the 2nd quarter to add another 7 points to the lead. Wallis knocked Mil Hanna into next week. Longy kicked a goal while trainers were assisting Hanna. Stick it up your arse.

3rd quarter saw a challenge by Carlton when they kicked a couple of quick goals to reduce the margin to 30 points. Then Calthorpe grabbed the ball at the next centre bounce and ran to the F50 and thumped a ripping goal. Stick that up your arse. Misiti kicked another goal from the boundary line right on 3Q time. Margin 42 points.

The last quarter was just cream. We led by over 60 points at some stages, and it ended up being a 44 point victory. Longy clearly BOG with 33 disposals and 2 goals. What a finals series he had. Absolutely heroic. Salmon 5 goals and Mercuri 3 were our main goal kickers. O’Donnell and Long our best ball winners.

I can’t remember how many times we sung our theme song after the final siren. It was on constant repeat. We gave it to Blues supporters hard. It was bliss.

I went to the social club that night and got absolutely pissed. There was a bonfire in the middle of Windy Hill - Steve Kernahan cardboard cutouts were being barbecued. Awesome sight! Around midnight, the players returned with the premiership cup. It was a glorious sight. Longy was being carried on the players shoulders and he was holding the cup aloft. I was lucky enough to pat Longy on the back and get a touch of that magnificent cup. It was an awesome night. Spoke to most of the players. All the Danihers were there. I grabbed a stack of Bomber coasters and got the players to autograph the back of them. Awesome (except I f****** misplaced them years later :evil: )

This was the greatest experience I’ve ever had as a Bomber member. Beating Carlton in a Granny is just the best 😎

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks again,Ben.Hope you get those Coasters back somehow!

We must discuss Tribunal Matters,say Monday Night?Appropriate time to do that and revisit how long 1 G.Williams should get for even showing up! :lol:

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

Great reflections Ben! Good stuff - brought back a lot of very happy memories!

Just on the Preliminary Final......I, like you, was confident all week.....and all day.

Even at half-time, I recall saying to my pose standing under the seagulls in the corner pocket of The Great Southern Stand..."If that's the best they've got I reckon we are still in this!...we just need to get off to a reasonable start in the 3rd stanza and the crowd will bring them home"......

If only I'd had the balls to put my money where my mouth was. Yet, I don't know if they had betting during the games back then.

The exhilaration and noise that was generated in the final corner - particularly from the loyal members all through the Great Southern Stand - was electric!

Walking out of the 'G' that day was as pleasurable a shared experience with Essendon people that I can ever remember. Premierships included!

I was fearful all Grand Final week because they'd rolled us at the 'G' in our first final.......Alas, I was delightfully surprised.
Olerenshaws fist Quarter in the Granny was sublime!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:01 pm

hop wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

Just on the Preliminary Final......I, like you, was confident all week.....and all day.

Even at half-time, I recall saying to my pose standing under the seagulls in the corner pocket of The Great Southern Stand..."If that's the best they've got I reckon we are still in this!...we just need to get off to a reasonable start in the 3rd stanza and the crowd will bring them home"......

If only I'd had the balls to put my money where my mouth was. Yet, I don't know if they had betting during the games back then.

The exhilaration and noise that was generated in the final corner - particularly from the loyal members all through the Great Southern Stand - was electric!

Walking out of the 'G' that day was as pleasurable a shared experience with Essendon people that I can ever remember. Premierships included!

I was fearful all Grand Final week because they'd rolled us at the 'G' in our first final.......Alas, I was delightfully surprised.
Glory days mate, glory days!

I still get goosebumps thinking about that Prelim. The emotions throughout the day were extreme. Unforgettable.

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:01 pm
hop wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

Glory days mate, glory days!

I still get goosebumps thinking about that Prelim. The emotions throughout the day were extreme. Unforgettable.
Ahhhh....Ummm...and by corner...I mean quarter (WTF!)
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Did anyone have a few more drinks on Sunday with the Players and The Phantom,who I noticed clinking stubbies with Harves?

How about Mad Monday at (what was it?)The Moonee Valley Sports Club?Anyone close mates with the players and coach?

Would have been a great time and marathon if you made to Tuesday Morning,eh?! :wink: 8)

Then spent the next day or so in bed,with a Bucket by the side,before recovering just in time for The Crichton Medal Night.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 am

Tribunal Matters

Grand Final Reports?

G.Williams?

If he got rubbed out after The Big One,how is it he was still eligible for the 1994 Brownlow,which he Won?

Much as I hated the thought of the egirls Winning Anything,I thought Peter Matera was stiff not to Win that Brownlow.

And that was before Matera played a few games on Sundays in the Red and Black(Armadale). 8)

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 am
Tribunal Matters

Grand Final Reports?

G.Williams?

If he got rubbed out after The Big One,how is it he was still eligible for the 1994 Brownlow,which he Won?

Much as I hated the thought of the egirls Winning Anything,I thought Peter Matera was stiff not to Win that Brownlow.

And that was before Matera played a few games on Sundays in the Red and Black(Armadale). 8)
Are you asking how Williams won an award based solely on the 1994 H&A season if he got rubbed out in the 1993 Grand Final?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Nah,I just need an excuse to have a go at Williams! 8)

But the memory’s a bit rusty.Was he suspended after head butting Sean Denham?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Without prying too much into what the boys are doing,particularly those not in the public eye,what are the players and Coaches,Match day Staff and even Mascot from this Wonderfull team,doing these days.

My apologies if in my ignorance,I’ve forgotten about any we’ve sadly lost.

Start with any guys(besides Derek,Of we’ll get bogged down),who just missed out on making the team for the big one.

David Flood?What’s he up to?

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:56 pm
David Flood?What’s he up to?
Wiki needs an update.
Returning to Essendon in 1999, Flood became the club's Development and Welfare Coordinator. In 2004 he left Essendon to accept the senior coaching job at Coburg, vacated by Paul Spargo. He was coach for two seasons and then coached the Calder Cannons to the 2007 TAC Cup premiership. In 2008 he was appointed as a development coach at Hawthorn.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Sounds impressive.What’s he been up to lately?

Had he or anyone got a career outside of Aussie Rules Football?

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Hird. :roll:

Kevin Walsh is a civil engineer I think.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 am

How quickI forget,F111?!

Still,rather I’d hear from you guys what you know of our ‘93 boys.

What’s Sean Denham up to these days?

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 am

grassy1 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 am
How quickI forget,F111?!

Still,rather I’d hear from you guys what you know of our ‘93 boys.

What’s Sean Denham up to these days?
Dunnybrush Denham is a practising accountant.

Joey Misiti is a tradie (I parked next to his Ute a few months ago).

Mark Mercuri struggled after footy. Then got into property development. Not sure if he’s still doing it.

I think Paul Hills joined the police force.

Peter Somerville ran his own plumbing business for some years before going into teaching plumbing at TAFE up in QLD.