Myers retires

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 2108
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by nudder12 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 pm

And....he now has actually retired.

Much as many have been disappointed by his catalogue of performances, I'm sure he has tried his best and deserves our thanks for his service to the Club.
Good luck for the future David.

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Has there ever been a player go from most improved to retired in under 12 months?

Anyway, a loyal clubman who no doubt tried his best. Forever burdened by his surprisingly high draft selection then played out of position for the next 6 years.

I donโ€™t for a minute blame Myers for his underwhelming career. Dodoro and a raft of clueless coaches can probably take credit in that front.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25793
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm

๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Rover99
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am

Re: Myers retires

Post by Rover99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 pm

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Maybe he'll leave his famous booming left boot in a glass case for you Ben๐Ÿ˜

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25793
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Rover99 wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 pm
BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Maybe he'll leave his famous booming left boot in a glass case for you Ben๐Ÿ˜
Haha ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
s'dreams
Club Captain
Posts: 4321
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by s'dreams » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 am

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm
Rover99 wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 pm
BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Maybe he'll leave his famous booming left boot in a glass case for you Ben๐Ÿ˜
Haha ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Thanks for your service.

And I don't know why people are dishing out on Bolts. He always managed to keep Adam Goodes quiet - somethine nobody else has been able to do even after Goodes retired.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8439
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by grassy1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 am

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Donโ€™t 100 game players at least get their names on a locker?

User avatar
MH_Bomber
Club Captain
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Hughesdale

Re: Myers retires

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 am

Myers did his best. His left foot was very good but being a left side player made it easy for opponents to pressure him and shut him down.

He saw the writing on the wall with his career when he missed that goal against the Swans. Maybe that was what the wink and laugh with Heppell.was all about. He may have said something like 'I won't get another chance now - I am done.'

He did the team thing and stepped back to help the youngsters. You have admire him for that.
Regards

MH_Bomber

User avatar
MH_Bomber
Club Captain
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Hughesdale

Re: Myers retires

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 am

Myers did his best. His left foot was very good but being a left side player made it easy for opponents to pressure him and shut him down.

He saw the writing on the wall with his career when he missed that goal against the Swans. Maybe that was what the wink and laugh with Heppell.was all about. He may have said something like 'I won't get another chance now - I am done.'

He did the team thing and stepped back to help the youngsters. You have admire him for that.
Regards

MH_Bomber

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25793
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 am

grassy1 wrote: โ†‘
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 am
BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿพ

The torture is finally over.

In the same bracket as another โ€œstarโ€ number 23 - Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton: Pick #4, 124 games, 50 goals, zero honours

David Myers: Pick #6, 123 games, 40 goals, zero honours

๐Ÿšฎ
Donโ€™t 100 game players at least get their names on a locker?
Yep.

But someone like Leon Baker doesnโ€™t.

Nuts.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8439
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by grassy1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 am

True,but Leon has his named etched in Premiership History Twice over.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25793
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 am

grassy1 wrote: โ†‘
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 am
True,but Leon has his named etched in Premiership History Twice over.
To me, thatโ€™s locker deserving. He played 86 games. Probably 80 of them of the highest quality.

Obviously, John Coleman has his name etched on locker 10 - despite playing only 98 games.

Neale Daniher has his name etched on locker 6 - despite only playing 66 games in that number (82 overall) and not playing in a premiership.

There are exceptions to the 100 game rule.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7061
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Myers retires

Post by Crazyman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank David. Well done on passing 100 games.

Not the greatest player, roundly bagged (a lot due to us not taking Cyril), but gave it everything and canโ€™t ask more than that.

desmondo
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1020
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by desmondo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 pm

MH_Bomber wrote: โ†‘
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 am
Myers did his best. His left foot was very good but being a left side player made it easy for opponents to pressure him and shut him down.

He saw the writing on the wall with his career when he missed that goal against the Swans. Maybe that was what the wink and laugh with Heppell.was all about. He may have said something like 'I won't get another chance now - I am done.'

He did the team thing and stepped back to help the youngsters. You have admire him for that.
Hence, the reason for NOT recruiting 'one-sided' players. Foot skills on BOTH sides of the body should our the main criteria when recruiting in the future, AND also kicking skill on the whole. No good getting plenty of the pill and wasting it or just bombing it away, making it easy for the opposition.. #-o [-X

And yes David deserves kudos for stepping aside for the youngsters. =D>

User avatar
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by Windy Hille » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 pm

A charming decision. Well done Mr Myers. Gave it your all. The played with passion and grit. Always had the club at heart. =D>

User avatar
robbie67
Essendon Legend
Posts: 16094
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by robbie67 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Thankyou for your service? Like Dempsey, should be thanking us for funding his life while giving very little in return. An absolute embarrassment that he spent so long on the list while showing so little drive and ambition. Like so many at this club in the last 15 years, was just happy to be a league footballer, and so many of you get sucked in by this mediocre bullshit.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25793
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm

robbie67 wrote: โ†‘
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 pm
Thankyou for your service? Like Dempsey, should be thanking us for funding his life while giving very little in return. An absolute embarrassment that he spent so long on the list while showing so little drive and ambition. Like so many at this club in the last 15 years, was just happy to be a league footballer, and so many of you get sucked in by this mediocre bullshit.
Indeed.

Our โ€˜honourโ€™ board is littered with underachieving 10+ year playing, 100 - 200+ game, list cloggers. Shitfull.

To think Myers was actually included into the leadership group this year, makes you bloody wonder what goes through the minds of our footy dept. f****** idiotic.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 pm

I would say the mediocrity in this case lays at the feet of the selection committee. Blaming the player for being selected and offered contracts is disingenuous. At least Myers had the good grace and humility to remove himself from the senior side.

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Crazyman wrote: โ†‘
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Thank David. Well done on passing 100 games.

Not the greatest player, roundly bagged (a lot due to us not taking Cyril), but gave it everything and canโ€™t ask more than that.

Cyril would have been wasted at Essendon during the years of his career. He would have risen to no greater height than Courtney Dempsey.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8439
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Myers retires

Post by grassy1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:24 am

Whatever people thought of you David,I thank - you all the same!

Now,please come home to Perth.Supporters are already speaking of you coming home to Lathlain Park for 2020 and beyond,especially if Clint Jones hangs up the boots.

All the Raider lads certainly hope you come back.

Post Reply