Open Letter to John Worsfold

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Open Letter to John Worsfold

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:55 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 pm
He’s been hangin’ out with Jeff Fenech? :lol:
Yeah, I noticed that too... 8)

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Here we go. Lose a game, sack Woosha. Win a game, Woosha good.

:roll:

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:08 pm

I don't see much of the latter these days: more like, "Why the f*** haven't we been doing that all along Woosha," on the occasions that we do win. And who have we beaten so far this season?
I believe most people here have given the players quite a good serve alongside the coach. I just don't think we've got any hope of getting out of this bog till we get rid of Woosha. Then hopefully his replacement will start building a premiership team from the youngsters, plus careful selections of free agents and getting rid of the old dead wood. Can you HONESTLY see us getting any better while Woosha is still around? What would change? That's what it's all about.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Windy Hille wrote:

Actually no....as I stated a few posts back, we should not have been getting excited about the false dawn of beating Carlton and Hawthorn. I have remained very consistent with my views. We are going nowhere with Worsfold who was utterly out coached yesterday. Yes there were some positive signs in those two wins, but as I said, if you missed it first time, our one dimensional game plan goes to water against Top 4 opposition. Have a look at our performances this year against GWS, Geelong and WCE.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 pm
Windy Hille wrote:

Actually no....as I stated a few posts back, we should not have been getting excited about the false dawn of beating Carlton and Hawthorn. I have remained very consistent with my views. We are going nowhere with Worsfold who was utterly out coached yesterday. Yes there were some positive signs in those two wins, but as I said, if you missed it first time, our one dimensional game plan goes to water against Top 4 opposition. Have a look at our performances this year against GWS, Geelong and WCE.
There are 9 coaches who are “out coached” every week. Most teams will be beaten by top 4 teams. It’s not such a shock.

Imagine Richmond sacking Hardwick 4 years into his tenure. Everyone here was probably laughing at his comments of “believing in this list”.

Give him time. In time, our young group will develop into a top 4 team. Then we will be monstering most clubs. And we may even get to the big dance and win.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:25 am

Plan A or Plan B??
Honestly I'm over people saying we have no Plan B.
To those people.....do you seriously think that the Club tells the players to just run and be fast and kill the opposition with speed, and oh well, if that doesn't work we don't know what to do????
Believe it or not, the Plan A is multi-faceted. It says to play on and use your pace, but it also says if you can't....then do this instead. Or that instead. It also says that when in defence you need to create pressure, or if there's no open targets up forward to kick it to the marking option, or maybe go sideways for a switch. And so on and so on.
Fair dinkum it's so naive of people to think the players don't have instructions about what to do if the preferred option won't work. If you think the game is as simple as Plan A or Plan B, maybe you're the simple one.
So is it Woosha's fault the players do stupid crap? or is it maybe the players?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:33 am

if there is a plan B its not working

Kicking the ball backwards 40m to only kick it back from whence it came and then turn the damn thing over is not a Plan B.

Wrong match ups all over the ground

Crazy handballing

No pressure

No running

Worsfold is NOT the man to improve this team individually or collectively.

As for saying he is no better or worse than the other 8 losing coaches is a very silly thing to say when he has at his disposal numerous All Australians and First Round Draft picks. The Hardwick comparison is becoming boring. Richmond, much like the Bulldogs, prevailed in weak years where they played great football at the right time. Richmond may scrape into the 8 this year but will decline quickly with an aging and lopsided list. I for one dont want Worsfold to have 6 or 7 years on the hope that he may, repeat may deliver a Premiership. We will lose Hurley and Hooker in the next 2 years. Two critically important lynchpins. This team needs to deliver now and after watching thst garbage on the weekend I simply dont see it happening. We have gone backwards this year. Simple as that.

Our list is better than what it has shown over much of the last 2 years. But it repeatedly fails when it matters. Either by dropping games against weak opponents, throwing away big margins, or completely buckling under pressure from Top 6 teams. Teams who on paper at least we should be competitive with.

If we fail to make the finals this year then Worsfold must go.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:53 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:33 am
As for saying he is no better or worse than the other 8 losing coaches is a very silly thing to say when he has at his disposal numerous All Australians and First Round Draft picks.
If you think that’s a silly thing to say, what about your comment about first round picks??? All clubs have first round picks!!!! :lol:

Numerous All Australians? Who?? And compared to West Coast, they had numerous premiership players!! :lol:
The Hardwick comparison is becoming boring.
It’s boring because it’s a good one. What’s boring is the weak arguments of ditching a guy trying to rebuild a club following its most soul destroying event 2013-2017. Give me any current day coach who could walk into our club and start healing it while trying to assemble a decent list and take it to success within 4 years?

Yep, thought so...

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Windy H....I admire your optimism. But come on, the whole industry is questioning Worsfold

This was supposed to be our best squad for 15 years. We were widely tipped by “in the knows” to challenge for the Top 4, let alone top 8

As for all Australians

Heppell
Merrett
Hurley
Hooker
Daniher
Shiel
Stringer
Smith (made the initial squad in 2018)

First Round Draft Picks

McGrath (also Rising Star Winner)
Parish
Francis
Myers
Zaharakis

Top 20 picks

Langford
Laverde

Our performance on Thursday belies this pedigree. So whilst maybe not a Top 4 squad, on paper it should be performing significantly better than it is. If the coaching department is not accountable, do we sack the entire squad? Our player management has been deplorable (see Smith and Daniher and now possible Fantasia).

I don’t disagree that Worsfold did a great job when we needed a “Father Figure” type in 2016. But his performance since has been below par. As for another coach, of course there are likely to be better coaches who can turn things around...problem is our club has not got a good track record post Sheedy in this regard.

As I keep saying, happy to play out what is now a lost season (that’s three in a row Woosha) but if we do not make finals, as I expect, then Junkyard Johnny has to go.

I for one don’t want to model ourselves on Richmond who took 8 years to win a flag and have now got nothing left in the tank.

Why don’t we model ourselves on Geelong, Hawthorn or Sydney

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm
Windy H....I admire your optimism. But come on, the whole industry is questioning Worsfold
Are they? I hear some discussion, but most of them are saying he is a special case because, technically, this is his 2nd year without the saga and aftermath (dealing with suspensions and re-integration).
This was supposed to be our best squad for 15 years. We were widely tipped by “in the knows” to challenge for the Top 4, let alone top 8
This is s joke, right? :lol:

“in the knows”? Who would they be?? Media personalities with an opinion? lol, some of them predicted Melbourne winning the flag. There is no such thing as “in the know” when predicting a team performance for next year. It’s just an assumption based on a guess.
As for all Australians

Heppell
Merrett
Hurley
Hooker
Daniher
Shiel
Stringer
Sooo....Daniher has been dead for 2 years, Stringer injured this year, Smith cooked for this year, and Shiel gets his first injury this year. Yep, we’re flying. All of Heppell, Merrett, Hurley and Hooker are killing it this season.

How many All Australians took the field for West Coast on Thursday? Not to mention premiership players...
First Round Draft Picks

Parish
Francis
Myers
Zaharakis
I don’t get this one, sorry. Every club has a first round pick - unless they’ve traded it away. 1 - 18 is first round. Go through every club and they’ll have an impressive list in this group too.
Top 20 picks

Langford
Laverde
Langford 1st round pick, Laverde 2nd round pick.

Our performance on Thursday belies this pedigree.
Pedigree?
So whilst maybe not a Top 4 squad, on paper it should be performing significantly better than it is. If the coaching department is not accountable, do we sack the entire squad? Our player management has been deplorable (see Smith and Daniher and now possible Fantasia).
We were beaten by a better team. Is that so hard to accept? Do you actually think we are better than West Coast? Serious question.

They want a top 4 spot. We were in the way. Bang!

As for player management...ask the fitness department. That is a serious worry.
I don’t disagree that Worsfold did a great job when we needed a “Father Figure” type in 2016. But his performance since has been below par. As for another coach, of course there are likely to be better coaches who can turn things around...problem is our club has not got a good track record post Sheedy in this regard.

Who would that coach be? I seriously would like to know.
As I keep saying, happy to play out what is now a lost season (that’s three in a row Woosha) but if we do not make finals, as I expect, then Junkyard Johnny has to go.
So we can get another coach, with other plans, with new assistants, so we wait another 5 years for the group to get used to the new ideas and programs, so we wait, and wait...
I for one don’t want to model ourselves on Richmond who took 8 years to win a flag and have now got nothing left in the tank.
Richmond took 37 years to win a flag. They did what you’re suggesting to do - sack every coach that hasn’t won a flag within 5 years. The day they finally stopped that rot, they end up winning one.

So let’s sack Woosha at the end of the year. Then sack the next one if they haven’t done anything in 5 years, and so on. It’ll be 37 years for us before you know it.
Good point!

Kennett wanted Clarkson sacked. They keep him, and 4 flags came their way.

Geelong were going to sack Bomber. Cook kept him. 3 flags later...(Scott benefitted from Bomber’s work).

Sydney are just different. All that Coca COLA, academies, etc...

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:08 am

People are entitled to be optimistic if that is what they see.

Personally, I start every season hopeful something will change, but by mid season, I have seen enough to know it hasn’t.

As I said previously, we beat teams around us, lose when we shouldn’t, win a couple unexpectedly, get pantsed when it counts. This club is the PC version of what footy teams should be.

Yes there is talent on the list, yes when it clicks we are good to watch, BUT, this is such a bullshit tease...and too many in this club take the job of being professional footy players for granted.

Their skills are woeful, the aggressiveness is non existent, injuries are perpetual, and unless they change many things, we will be stuck as a middle of the road side that shows glimpses every now and then teasing all and sundry into thinking we have the makings of a top shelf footy club and this is simply not true!!!!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:52 pm

That sounds very familiar my way,Crazyman.

If my lot lose to a bunch of bottom feeders next week,we go to our masters the following week,looking down the barrel of 6 - 6 DISASTER after starting 5 - 0(Best start in 41 years).Talk about a giantsized Cocktease! :evil: :roll: #-o :-&

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Just found...
Yeah... Naa

I want a new coach instead of Woosha

Matty Lloyd (18)
Doubt it will count for much given the majority of the head roles at the club have no history with the club. "Matty Who?".
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Are they? I hear some discussion, but most of them are saying he is a special case because, technically, this is his 2nd year without the saga and aftermath (dealing with suspensions and re-integration).

“in the knows”? Who would they be?? Media personalities with an opinion? lol, some of them predicted Melbourne winning the flag. There is no such thing as “in the know” when predicting a team performance for next year. It’s just an assumption based on a guess.
As for all Australians

Heppell
Merrett
Hurley
Hooker
Daniher
Shiel
Stringer
Sooo....Daniher has been dead for 2 years, Stringer injured this year, Smith cooked for this year, and Shiel gets his first injury this year. Yep, we’re flying. All of Heppell, Merrett, Hurley and Hooker are killing it this season.

How many All Australians took the field for West Coast on Thursday? Not to mention premiership players...
First Round Draft Picks

Parish
Francis
Myers
Zaharakis
I don’t get this one, sorry. Every club has a first round pick - unless they’ve traded it away. 1 - 18 is first round. Go through every club and they’ll have an impressive list in this group too.
Top 20 picks

Langford
Laverde

Pedigree?
So whilst maybe not a Top 4 squad, on paper it should be performing significantly better than it is. If the coaching department is not accountable, do we sack the entire squad? Our player management has been deplorable (see Smith and Daniher and now possible Fantasia).
We were beaten by a better team. Is that so hard to accept? Do you actually think we are better than West Coast? Serious question.

So we can get another coach, with other plans, with new assistants, so we wait another 5 years for the group to get used to the new ideas and programs, so we wait, and wait...
Richmond took 37 years to win a flag. They did what you’re suggesting to do - sack every coach that hasn’t won a flag within 5 years. The day they finally stopped that rot, they end up winning one.

So let’s sack Woosha at the end of the year. Then sack the next one if they haven’t done anything in 5 years, and so on. It’ll be 37 years for us before you know it.
Good point!

Geelong were going to sack Bomber. Cook kept him. 3 flags later...(Scott benefitted from Bomber’s work).

Technically it’s his 2nd year? That has to be the most disingenuous comment I have read on this forum for quite some time. He made the finals in your so called “repatriation” year!!!! Clearly not as big a challenge integrating the suspended players as you have suggested. So that in its own was commendable I guess. Despite the pantsing we received from Sydney in the Elim Final, one could confidently expect improvement. He was been handed Saad, Stringer and Smith to boost the squad even more. So how did that play out. We have gone backwards. So in 2018 he was the beneficiary of 2 sacrificed first round draft picks for Shiel to provide the “icing on the cake”. How has that played out, we are treading water and likely to slip with an incredibly tough month of games coming up.

Sorry, your defence of Worsfold whilst entirely your right, is flawed. And yes, the vast majority of pundits had us making the finals this year based on the quality of the squad at Worsfold’s disposal. Some had us as a Top 4 side and even one or two tipped us for the flag. Now that doesn’t make them right, clearly not. But it does suggest that football people, pundits, ex-players, commentators, all who know more about the game than I ever will, saw a high degree of potential in this squad. To raise your eyebrows at this point suggests you are simply living in denial. Again, support your team and the coach as passionately as you like. I however will remain entirely pragmatic until there is a noticeable change in team performance. In my opinion Worsfold was entitled to an extended honeymoon period....the first 2 years. The next 2 years has been underwhelming to say the least. Yet you are prepared to go around another time. So tell me, how many years are you prepared to accept this degree of underachievement? You keep pointing to Hardwick so does that mean another 4 years on the hope that it may come good in 2023. There will be no Hurley, Hooker, Zaharakis, Heppell. Daniher and Shiel will be 29. Most of the current squad will be 27 plus. Sure there will be players coming through but not next year....we won’t have a first round draft pick until 2020. What do you think is going to change in the next 12 months to ensure Worsfold achieves a flag in 2020? Most of our players go backwards in their development so I don’t see organic improvement coming along in any hurry. So what do we do if Worsfold screws up another year. Just do what we have always done and reward failure with a contract extension because Hardwick needed time?!!

No, sorry buddy. On this one you are struggling. The evidence against Worsfold is too damning and I for one, and I suspect many others will not accept another wasted season. You may be more optimistic than I am and if that helps you get through games like last Thursday then I am happy for you. For me, I would rather see my club winning games like that consistently and being a genuine finals side. Not the shambles that I saw against West Coast.
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:05 pm

By the way Windy...thoroughly enjoy the cut and thrust of our seemingly endless debates.... :D

We’re all Bombers at the end of the day

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:14 pm

And one more response to the matter of injured players. Of course losing players of the calibre of Smith and Daniher will affect team performance. But even when they have all been together it has hardly inspired confidence. Not to mention that if you are to be a successful team you need squad depth to cover such losses. Look at our list....absolutely no forward line depth. At best you have B grade cast offs in the form of McKernan, Brown and Stewart to cover key position shortfalls.

Maybe Hooker forward with Ambrose, Hurley and Francis to cover no defence is again, sadly, our best option. I don’t like it but we look completely impotent without a tall marking target especially when our ridiculous game plan seems to be based around Hail Mary bombs to Walla and three giant opponents

Come on, all teams suffer injuries yet the good ones find a way over the course of a season. The point is that on paper, our list is heavily sprinkled with players who have the capacity to be All Australians.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm

All I can say about these arguments is...THE ROAR!!!!

Everyone bagged that article. I endorsed it. Bonce denounced it. And THE ROAR was f****** spot on.

Perhaps everyone simply overrated our list and had unrealistic expectations. Every year, every club improves their list. Just because we gained a few decent players in the past couple of years, doesn’t mean other clubs haven’t (or simply had significant improvements from existing players).

Time to re-visit THE ROAR article and kiss its ass.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Everyone bagged that article. I endorsed it. Bonce denounced it. And THE ROAR was f****** spot on.

Perhaps everyone simply overrated our list and had unrealistic expectations. Every year, every club improves their list. Just because we gained a few decent players in the past couple of years, doesn’t mean other clubs haven’t (or simply had significant improvements from existing players).

I know. I'm lining up now :-"

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Basically he got three things right and three things wrong

We are however definitely a better team than he is claiming

Lack of a dominant ruck is a glaring problem

Missing Daniher is as well

A big bodied mid a la Fyfe Kennedy or Tim Kelly is a huge issue. Otherwise most of the pieces are in place when fully fit.

Most importantly we lack a cohesive game plan and on that the article is spot on

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:48 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 pm
Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 am
Windy_Hill wrote:

As for all Australians

Heppell
Merrett
Hurley
Hooker
Daniher
Shiel
Stringer

First Round Draft Picks

Parish
Francis
Myers
Zaharakis
Top 20 picks

Langford
Laverde

Pedigree?

Good point!

Technically it’s his 2nd year? That has to be the most disingenuous comment I have read on this forum for quite some time. He made the finals in your so called “repatriation” year!!!! Clearly not as big a challenge integrating the suspended players as you have suggested. So that in its own was commendable I guess. Despite the pantsing we received from Sydney in the Elim Final, one could confidently expect improvement. He was been handed Saad, Stringer and Smith to boost the squad even more. So how did that play out. We have gone backwards. So in 2018 he was the beneficiary of 2 sacrificed first round draft picks for Shiel to provide the “icing on the cake”. How has that played out, we are treading water and likely to slip with an incredibly tough month of games coming up.
2017 - 12 wins, 10 losses, 106%, 7th place
2018 - 12 wins, 10 losses, 105%, 11th place

Performance wise, hardly any change. Position wise, big difference.

2019 - I reckon we’re on track for another 12 win, 10 loss season.

So we haven’t got “worse” despite losing key star players for lengthy periods of time.

Our young players are developing nicely. In 3 years time, they’ll be on top of their game. The demographic is excellent.
Sorry, your defence of Worsfold whilst entirely your right, is flawed. And yes, the vast majority of pundits had us making the finals this year based on the quality of the squad at Worsfold’s disposal. Some had us as a Top 4 side and even one or two tipped us for the flag. Now that doesn’t make them right, clearly not. But it does suggest that football people, pundits, ex-players, commentators, all who know more about the game than I ever will, saw a high degree of potential in this squad.
That makes them poor judges. They need a reality check of their understanding of squad maturity. We’re not in that space yet. The injection of early to mid 20 year old recruits is s very important one. Especially of the caliber of Stringer, Smith, Saad and Shiel. Now if we can keep them all on the field at one time and for a long time, look out.
To raise your eyebrows at this point suggests you are simply living in denial. Again, support your team and the coach as passionately as you like. I however will remain entirely pragmatic until there is a noticeable change in team performance. In my opinion Worsfold was entitled to an extended honeymoon period....the first 2 years. The next 2 years has been underwhelming to say the least.
Let’s just say we are currently in the most consistent period since the Sheedy era ended.

2008: 8 wins
2009: 10 wins
2010: 7 wins
2011: 11 wins
2012: 11 wins
2014: 14 wins (disqualified)
2015: 6 wins
2016: 3 wins (bans)
2017: 12 wins
2018: 12 wins
2019: 12 (potentially)

Next year is an important year. No doubt. Must build on the previous 3.
Yet you are prepared to go around another time. So tell me, how many years are you prepared to accept this degree of underachievement? You keep pointing to Hardwick so does that mean another 4 years on the hope that it may come good in 2023.
Yep. See above. And why not? He is a proven coach. Hardwick wasn’t. Let him design our way forward. I think he has made good list decisions.
There will be no Hurley, Hooker, Zaharakis, Heppell. Daniher and Shiel will be 29. Most of the current squad will be 27 plus. Sure there will be players coming through but not next year....we won’t have a first round draft pick until 2020. What do you think is going to change in the next 12 months to ensure Worsfold achieves a flag in 2020?
So be it. Zaka is cooked anyway. I don’t think Hurls is the same player he was before the saga. He looks like a downtrodden individual in my view. Still, he plays a pretty good game. Just not at a level he once was. Hooker is a great player. Will definitely miss him. But others will emerge.

Have Daniher, Smith, Shiel, Fantasia, Stringer all play 95% of the season, who knows what 2020 will bring.
Most of our players go backwards in their development so I don’t see organic improvement coming along in any hurry.
That’s absolute balderdash. McGrath, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Begley, Redman, Ambrose and Guelfi have all demonstrated improvement this year. It comes with experience.
So what do we do if Worsfold screws up another year. Just do what we have always done and reward failure with a contract extension because Hardwick needed time?!!
Screws up?

The year before Dimma won the flag, he finished 13th with 8 wins. That’s a screw up.
No, sorry buddy. On this one you are struggling. The evidence against Worsfold is too damning and I for one, and I suspect many others will not accept another wasted season.
Rigggghhhhhhhhttttttt.

You may be more optimistic than I am and if that helps you get through games like last Thursday then I am happy for you. For me, I would rather see my club winning games like that consistently and being a genuine finals side. Not the shambles that I saw against West Coast.
We’re getting there. You just can’t see it because you refuse to open your eyes. We’re not a top 4 team. What a shock. A top 4 team will beat us comfortably at times. What a shock. When we become a top 4 team (and we will), we will comfortably beat middle of the road teams. What a surprise!