Open Letter to John Worsfold

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Open Letter to John Worsfold

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 pm
I'll give him until Anzac Day. 6 games.

If less than 2 wins - gone

I fear we will be 0-6
Why, despite the 0-2 result thus far, we can still recover and make a run for the 8 - (see John's Opus "2018 and How Nearly Making the Finals Despite a Shit Start Saved My Neck)

Sack the c*** now, throw bucks at Caracella (remember the unwritten law amongst clubs is to let an assistant go if he's offered a senior coaching position) and lets move on while we still have a chance to resurrect this season. Because you know we will be 0-6 if we dont.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Well wonder of Wonders, Essendon will not be sitting at the bottom of the ladder tonight. The Dees have served up an even more pathetic effort against Geelong today to narrowly edge us out. And Norf has to prove itself tomorrow or theyll be joining us too. That doesn't let us off the hook of course but who woulda thought it a few weeks back. This has to be one of the weirdest starts in modern times and the Tigers' woes yesterday confirm it even more
Last edited by Rover99 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Re our coach, one way would be to appoint a co- head coach to sit in the box with him and coach Woosha during the games. That might be a good way to get him to retire. How about Leigh Mathews? :Any other suggestions? :D

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 pm
I'll give him until Anzac Day. 6 games.

If less than 2 wins - gone

I fear we will be 0-6
Why, despite the 0-2 result thus far, we can still recover and make a run for the 8 - (see John's Opus "2018 and How Nearly Making the Finals Despite a Shit Start Saved My Neck)

Sack the c*** now, throw bucks at Caracella (remember the unwritten law amongst clubs is to let an assistant go if he's offered a senior coaching position) and lets move on while we still have a chance to resurrect this season. Because you know we will be 0-6 if we dont.
Dunno about resurrecting the season with a new coach.
We'll have to start learning another new game plan ](*,)
But at least we'll have a head start on learning it for next season.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Any news, has he gone?

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Any news, has he gone?
I think consensus is he should stay. At least for now.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:37 am

So this morning's news claims Woosha is on th skids and Hird may be called on to come back....comments?? :shock:

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 am

No.

His appointment would be too big a distraction.

We need to see who else would apply.Or,...failing the immediate lack of applicants,....

Sheeds.

Yes,he would probably be distracting,but hopefully others will be distracted and other Clubs would be too busy worrying about what he will do,rather than what they do.Chaos!

Can we have him one last time Mrs Sheedy(Geraldine),please?At least until early October(Crichton Medal Night).

Thanks.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 am

If not Sheeeds,TD.

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 pm
Re our coach, one way would be to appoint a co- head coach to sit in the box with him and coach Woosha during the games. That might be a good way to get him to retire. How about Leigh Mathews? :Any other suggestions? :D
Des Tuddenham...seen him a couple of years ago...still looks like he could run through a brick wall.

Always had a 'toughness' about him which we seem to be sadly lacking.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Well,if we’re still going to be up and down and still mediocre,why not Des to crash through a few of our bastard opposition?! :evil:

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:12 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 am
No.

His appointment would be too big a distraction.

We need to see who else would apply.Or,...failing the immediate lack of applicants,....

Sheeds.

Yes,he would probably be distracting,but hopefully others will be distracted and other Clubs would be too busy worrying about what he will do,rather than what they do.Chaos!

Can we have him one last time Mrs Sheedy(Geraldine),please?At least until early October(Crichton Medal Night).

Thanks.
:D :D :D

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:10 pm

This is just Robbo and media click bait. There is NO way James would return to Essendon or any AFL club to coach. He has said so himself and his family are dead against it. Remember, James wasn't the only one to cop it in the Hird household. If you remember his kids were bullied, spat on and abused, as Tania was abused by the media and all and sundry during the supplement saga. James seems go be happy and at peace with himself doing what he is doing, why on earth would he want to risk that? He owes the EFC nothing. In fact if anything, the club owes him a debt of gratitude which it can probably never repay and even if they could, won't.

It amuses me how supporters and others say, how it isn't Woosha's fault, NO, its not the coaches fault. When it was Hird coaching, absolutely everything even stuff completely out of his control, everything was his fault. When he and Bomber tried to get the Board to act on Dank and Robinson they refused, it was their fault. Bomber, Hird and Doc Reid were blamed. Funny how things change and still stay much the same.

The Board are weak, they would NOT sack Woosha, besides, he is there to steady the ship. I think the club have got their fingers in too many other pies. Regardless of what Xavier says, we are no longer just a footy team but the footy team should be their main emphasis.
I think it is because we are under the armpit of the AFL the EFC do as they are told when they are told. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Last edited by mdso on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 am

Unless the membership Directs the Club to sack the Coach,which the AFL can’t do Jackshit about?!

What are they going to do?Risk Having the biggest Riot at VFL/AFL House in decades?

f*** them!It’s not them who should direct the Board on such a Matte!It’s Our Members who should do that. :evil:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am

He's not going anywhere and anyone expecting him to be sacked 2 games into the season needs to reevaluate their knowledge of how clubs operate.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am
He's not going anywhere and anyone expecting him to be sacked 2 games into the season needs to reevaluate their knowledge of how clubs operate.

To be fair, our club holds a special place when it comes to utter incompetency. I wouldn’t compare it to how other clubs operate. in fact I would say If anyone thinks we are going to beat Melbourne this week they should re-evaluate their knowledge of how clubs opearate

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 pm
boncer34 wrote:

To be fair, our club holds a special place when it comes to utter incompetency. I wouldn’t compare it to how other clubs operate. in fact I would say If anyone thinks we are going to beat Melbourne this week they should re-evaluate their knowledge of how clubs opearate
Yeah, and we'd only compound that incompetency by sacking a coach 2 or 3 games into a season. Especially when that same coach delivered 10 wins from the last 14 games last season.
Sure, it's hard to justify an expectation of beating Melbourne, but no-one expected us to pump Geelong Round 9 last year either.
Having said that - if we succumb to the Dees tomorrow in another insipid fashion, then the heat really will be on.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:21 am

nudder12 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 pm
boncer34 wrote:

Yeah, and we'd only compound that incompetency by sacking a coach 2 or 3 games into a season. Especially when that same coach delivered 10 wins from the last 14 games last season.
Sure, it's hard to justify an expectation of beating Melbourne, but no-one expected us to pump Geelong Round 9 last year either.
Having said that - if we succumb to the Dees tomorrow in another insipid fashion, then the heat really will be on.
The fact we won 10 games in impressive style in the run home last year makes this year’s calamity even more damning for Worsfold. I don’t think we have a bad squad at all. In fact, I would say this is the best list we have had since 2007. However, our coach has managed to curtail their development and produce yet another tweaking of the game plan resulting in utter confusion. There will be no coming back from a 0-3 position. Honestly, I would rather bring an interim coach in, and spend the rest of the season sorting out the playing list to weed out the remaining deadwood and at the same time start the screening process for the best young Coaching prospect to take this club forward. We will not win a flag under Worsfold.....period

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:35 am

By the Way...and it’s nothing personal...but these players, unless they can produce some miraculous turnaround, should not be on our list in 2020

Bellchambers
Zaharakis
Myers
Langford
Laverde
Redman
Brown
Baguely
Hartley
Ambrose
McKernan
Guelfi
Dea

Either no good, not hard working enough or too injury prone

Without these guys our team can be structured as follows with the blanks to be filled

Francis. Hooker. Gleeson.
McKenna. Hurley. Ridley
Saad. Merrett. McGrath
Smith. Daniher. Fantasia
Parish. Stringer. Walla

Ruck. (To be Recruited). Shiel, Heppell

Interchange. Begley, Mutch, A Grade Mid to be recruited Zerk-Thatcher

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 am

Windy, I agree with a lot of what you've just said.
I don't know the answers to our problems, but about what you said.....
Surely that Worsfold got us the 10 wins WITH those players you say are no good speaks volumes for his ability.
And surely, that THOSE players got us those 10 wins means they are capable.
It's toss of the coin stuff - some established players may recapture their best, or not. And some younger ones might turn out to be good, but they're unproven so far. There's no certainties either way.
I prefer to think we're close to success - if our best can be delivered, and I think Worsfold has shown he can get that from our list. Doesn't mean the list can't be better though.
Adopting your strategy I'd be concerned we'd be throwing away an opportunity and possibly entering a rebuilding phase again.
Not saying you're wrong, just a difference of opinion.
EDIT: - by the way, where are we going to get a top ruckman and A Grade mid when we have almost nothing to trade/draft with?