SEE YA BRENDAN

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

SEE YA BRENDAN

Post by Daisy..1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Hmmm...not sure what my thoughts are on this news.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: SEE YA BRENDAN

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm

I'll just repeat what I said in another thread...

He deserves respect. He played very well for our club. There's no denying that. He won a Crichton in his first season with us, and finished in the top 5 every season he played (he won't this year though).

He was a total professional who demanded high standards from his teammates. To me, that is a guy who played his guts out for his jumper, and wanted everyone else to do the same. I, for one, want to thank him for his services. You don't often get a guy moving clubs and playing to the level he did for us. And that was after the club had plummeted him in the biggest turmoil a club has ever endured. Did he drop his bundle? Did he just sit back and collect his pay cheques like so many other recruits over the years have done? No, he went about his footy wanting to make a difference and to drive the club out of the shit.

I reckon he'll make a great coach one day.

Well played Brendon =D>

BRENDON GODDARD

Games: 333 (128 with Essendon)
Goals:160 (56 with Essendon)
AA: 2009, 2010
Crichton Medal: 2013
Essendon Captain: 2016
Most Disposals: 652 for St.Kilda, 613 for Essendon
BGP: 5 v Fremantle 2010
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Agree with both the above.
Well said BD, he was a great servant to the club and deserves all accolades.
However I never really warmed to him, and I don't think he'll be a massive loss with the players coming along, so not that fussed that he's gone.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm
Agree with both the above.
Well said BD, he was a great servant to the club and deserves all accolades.
However I never really warmed to him, and I don't think he'll be a massive loss with the players coming along, so not that fussed that he's gone.
All of those sentiments. I think he changed quite a bit in a short time and as he made more clangers himself, became more relaxed

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 am

As much as I detested his on field antics, I feel very sorry that his decision to come to Essendon,to achieve the ultimate success, coincided with the drugs saga. He was close to being at the peak of his powers when he came to Bomberland and I cant help but think that period cheated him of his ultimate goal. He stuck fast with the players and the club during that tumultuous period.

Thanks BJ Goddard for all you did to help our club. You were passionate, sometimes a pain, but your heart was in the right place.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Wally
Top Up Player

Post by Wally » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 am

Thank you Brendan. Has been a pleasure to watch you give your all for this club. As above - a huge amount of respect for this bloke. Agree that the saga robbed him of any chance of ultimate success and something he could rightly feel cheated out of.

Wish you all the best going forward.

Think it is the wrong decision of the club not to renew for 1 more year. I don't hold the same optimism that some of the players touted to come back into the backline are going to have any impact.

However as long as the club is consistent and the long serving list cloggers mentioned elsewhere are also shown the door it may be the right decision in the end if we get some high level talent in.

Far from our worst week in week out.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:03 am

Wally wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 am
Thank you Brendan. Has been a pleasure to watch you give your all for this club. As above - a huge amount of respect for this bloke. Agree that the saga robbed him of any chance of ultimate success and something he could rightly feel cheated out of.

Wish you all the best going forward.

Think it is the wrong decision of the club not to renew for 1 more year. I don't hold the same optimism that some of the players touted to come back into the backline are going to have any impact.

However as long as the club is consistent and the long serving list cloggers mentioned elsewhere are also shown the door it may be the right decision in the end if we get some high level talent in.

Far from our worst week in week out.
We were all robbed around that time, players and fans alike. Everyone is disappointed about our last 5 years . And yes at the beginning he filled the gap admirably and his big body stood out. But in the end I think he was carrying injuries and looked very fragile in the last couple of games. He has the experience all right but in a coaching role - not sure.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 pm

I wonder if the jokers in the playing squad will send him off with a shitload of pretzels?!

:lol:

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 am
As much as I detested his on field antics, I feel very sorry that his decision to come to Essendon,to achieve the ultimate success, coincided with the drugs saga. He was close to being at the peak of his powers when he came to Bomberland and I cant help but think that period cheated him of his ultimate goal. He stuck fast with the players and the club during that tumultuous period.

Thanks BJ Goddard for all you did to help our club. You were passionate, sometimes a pain, but your heart was in the right place.
"Sometimes a pain"...hahaha...that's putting it lightly.......

I can't believe he was in the red and black for 6 seasons!! Very very passionate man....always tried his guts out which is very admirable...yet i am still sitting on this fence as to whether its a bad loss or "HoooFingRaaaay"

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm

The saga didn’t rob BJ of another crack at a GF. The squad this year is the best one we have had in the last 6 years and we will finish around 11/12 on the ladder. Perhaps 2013 may have seen some finals success - its hard to tell as the wheels came off towards the end of the season and of course the ban from finals ruled the possibility out.

The irony is that maybe 2019 could well be the year and BJ could be running around at Gold Coast. What a shame that would be.

I tip my hat to the guy. Fully embraced the club despite the massive let down of the supps scandal. He never wavered from the cause and stood by the club at every step despite having every reason to complain bitterly about what he signed up for.

He went even further, winning the club B&F in his first year as the walls came crumbling down around him thanks to Dank & Co.

As for his on field tantrums, I have no problem with that. Perhaps if his teamates had the same hatred of losing then maybe we wouldn’t be the laughing stock we are today. Berating teammates is never a good look but then, some of them certainly demanded that type of attention. Perhaps the coaches could have done more then BJ wouldn’t have had to. We are a club of soft cocks and have been for 18 years. If BJ’s tantrums made a few stand up and act like tough footballers then all kudos to him.

I am saddened to see him go in all honesty. He is truly a marquee player and a great Essendon man. He will probably be remembered as a Saint but I think he did more for his second club than first.

Good luck BJ and thanks

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:04 pm

At least the supplements scandal propelled him into the spotlight and captaincy, something he would never have had if it hadn't happened. I think he enjoyed being the only experienced voice at the time and got lots of TV and airplay as a spokesman too, so it was a 2-edged sword. I don't think he really expected a flag when he joined us. He would have also enjoyed the incredibly close-knit comradeship (and lack of game pressure) in those years too, with our "skeleton" team. In fact I'd say he has no regrets in that respect, only that it's all coming to an end. I don't think he would even be able to hold his own next year with the improved side and youngsters coming up, so we may have saved him some embarrassment in the end.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:16 pm

I am surprised that the club isn't considering BJ for some form of off-field role. Despite having the most corporate like coaching arrangement - the removal of Neeld (and no replacement) should mean there is salary space. We also don't have a dedicated football development coach (as opposed to development managers who look after the youngsters off the field).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:16 pm
I am surprised that the club isn't considering BJ for some form of off-field role. Despite having the most corporate like coaching arrangement - the removal of Neeld (and no replacement) should mean there is salary space. We also don't have a dedicated football development coach (as opposed to development managers who look after the youngsters off the field).
Perhaps he told the club he wanted to look at options to play elsewhere. If he was actually retiring those discussions might have been had.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:36 am

Good grief, what a difficult announcement that was to watch. Very emotional bloke. Obviously very intense on the field, and it was on display every week.

I think he deserved another year. But I understand the club’s decision. You could tell BJ was slowing down this year. It would be even more prominent next year. Time is probably right.

He served our club well. I agree with all the above. He embraced our club. He cared for it. He wanted it to succeed. He gave his all. And let’s be honest, he was a very good footballer.

There has been a lot of love / hate discussion about his onfield antics. Some of it was OTT, but in the main, he was right to challenge our guys for onfield indescretions. If you have a skipper who is mainly a “she’ll be right, mate” sort of blurber, then having a “what the feck are you doing???” ranter is required to balance it out.

Overall, he had a very consistent career at Bomberland. 130 games averaging 550 disposals a year is pretty good stuff.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:13 am

Agree with most of what’s written here.

Yes at times he was OTT, but at least you know where he stands and that he doesn’t accept mediocrity.

Was a godsend during the Saga and (to go on a tangent), we can say we won more games in a severely compromised season with BJ leading the way than the SCUM will this year 👍😂

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:21 am

Thank you BJ for being there when we needed you. Guts and determination and a proud desire to strive to be the best.

In my eyes, you will always be a champion of Essendon and a champion bloke. Who played his guts out for this club when times were dark. Took the reigns when there was no one else and stood tall representing the club through the worst of the worst.

A man was unafraid to show his vulnerability, his feelings and say it how he saw it. No doubt about it he loved this club and his fellow players.

Good luck for the future BJ. Some of the things you taught at the club are the very reason for your contract not being renewed. In good grace the decision was not what you hoped but you accepted it and stood tall. Thank you.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:38 pm

I think he's been sensational for the EFC. Surprised we got him, glad he came, loved his passion. He was just what the club needed.

I do think the timing is right.

Thanks for coming, the door won't be shut behind you.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

The injustice

Shane Biggs retires from football after 63 games in 6 years with that Elusive Premiership Medal

BJ Goddard must be spitting chips. No disrespect to Shane but gee....it must irk 300 game players who never taste Premiership success to see other lesser player wander in and out of the game with such a reward.

At least Bobby Skilton got his 3 Charlies

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am

.....and didn’t The Chimp say he’d trade All his Charlie’s for a Premiership Medal?

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 am

And Dean Wallis got 2 with us in a career that lasted for 127 games over 15 years.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)