Picks 34, 66, 84

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Picks 34, 66, 84

Post by BenDoolan »

What type of player do we need? I think we need to get another key forward on the list. Maybe another ruck type.

Notable recent #34: Liam Shiels, Max Gawn

Notable recent #66: Paul Puopolo, Sam Lloyd, Sam Menegola

Notable recent #84: Pass

I think we’ll upgrade a couple of VFL players / rookies:
Last edited by BenDoolan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Picks 34, 66, 84

Post by boncer34 »

Need to get Zac Clarke in.

If we go in with Belly and Draper as the only rucks (Smack is not a first choice ruck) then we're asking for trouble.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:02 am Need to get Zac Clarke in.

If we go in with Belly and Draper as the only rucks (Smack is not a first choice ruck) then we're asking for trouble.
What’s his situation though? He’s 28, hasn’t played since 2016. Delisted by Freo at the end of 2017. Suffered injuries which led to his dumping.

What this Lavender fellow like?

I hope we draft Nick Hind.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

What’s his situation though? He’s 28, hasn’t played since 2016. Delisted by Freo at the end of 2017. Suffered injuries which led to his dumping.

Rookie Nick Meese. Yes he is 30, but he is the dominant ruck in the VFL (even against the AFL listed rucks).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sandilands is an absolute croc,yet Lyon and Co insist on keeping him.Does that go someway to explaining Clarke’s problem,Ben?

He is more than adequate for us.He’s pretty much decided the past 2 seasons in the WAFL by his sheer presence,then almost Total Dominance of Rucking rivals.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sandilands is injured yet again,but Freo don’t want to make the hard decision to Retire him from AFL action.

Yet they delist a developing kid like Strnodica,who’s old man and uncle,I admit I know,albeit in WAFL circles.

But still,they keep Sandi,.....and Ballas,where Powder turned him into Mighty Mouse. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Considering where our picks are, I'm undecided between
- try for a Ruck, a Key Forward, and a small forward (in no particular order), or
- just pick 3 of one of those types in the hope one makes it. Let them battle it out against each other and maybe that'll spur their development along :)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm Considering where our picks are, I'm undecided between
- try for a Ruck, a Key Forward, and a small forward (in no particular order), or
- just pick 3 of one of those types in the hope one makes it. Let them battle it out against each other and maybe that'll spur their development along :)
Where the picks are are probably looking at just speculative picks or mature agers or F/S for pick 66 and 86.

might get someone serviceable at 34 but about overall half those picked in that range don't last more than 2 years.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:29 pm
nudder12 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:34 pm Considering where our picks are, I'm undecided between
Where the picks are are probably looking at just speculative picks or mature agers or F/S for pick 66 and 86.

might get someone serviceable at 34 but about overall half those picked in that range don't last more than 2 years.
Exactly my point - if our priority is a Ruck, use all 3 picks on some of them, and cross our fingers at least one turns out OK :)
Actually, probably better in that scenario to pick 3 small forwards - it would take too long for a ruck or key forward to develop, and by the time they did we'd hopefully have a better trading position to get a decent one anyway.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ruck.

Rest don’t matter
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:05 am Ruck.

Rest don’t matter
Has to be a mature aged ruck which we can get with a late pick.

Tom Campbell just got delisted so could be a hole filler.

Worth 34 I'm hoping someone like Jack Bytel slides
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I think we are well enough off for key forwards as long as Daniher stays fit and Smack can maintain his form, Stewart could still surprise, then we have Hooker to throw down there as well. I think we definately need to shore up our ruck stocks, and you can never have too many inside bulls that are good ball users. Hoping Ely Smith is still around at 34... [-o<
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

I’m pretty sure Nick will be drafted Benny. Port Adelaide were chasing him pretty hard and were very disappointed when he turned them down for a better offer from Essendon which I’m assuming is a spot in the ones. Given his performance in the VFL finals, I think he’s earned the opportunity.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

juff wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

I’m pretty sure Nick will be drafted Benny. Port Adelaide were chasing him pretty hard and were very disappointed when he turned them down for a better offer from Essendon which I’m assuming is a spot in the ones. Given his performance in the VFL finals, I think he’s earned the opportunity.
So juff, (or any-one) for us ignorant people what`s the Nick Hind story?...position he plays, physical attributes?
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

desmondo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:28 pm

So juff, (or any-one) for us ignorant people what`s the Nick Hind story?...position he plays, physical attributes?
Defender / midfielder with plenty of pace. If you get a chance, google his run v Richmond in the VFL where his last minute heroics won Essendon Reserves the game into a Prelim. Sensational. Similar traits to Saad.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

He’s a mid sized (181 cm) running defender/midfielder who likes to break the lines, which he did to great effect in the dying minutes of the bombers close win over Richmond in the VFL finals. His disposal is not great, but that can be worked on.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

juff wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 am

He’s a mid sized (181 cm) running defender/midfielder who likes to break the lines, which he did to great effect in the dying minutes of the bombers close win over Richmond in the VFL finals. His disposal is not great, but that can be worked on.
Thanks for the info guys, he sounds like he could be a handy pick-up.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

boncer34 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:16 am
Windy_Hill wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:05 am Ruck.

Rest don’t matter
Has to be a mature aged ruck which we can get with a late pick.

Tom Campbell just got delisted so could be a hole filler.

Worth 34 I'm hoping someone like Jack Bytel slides
Agree -surely there must be a half decent mature age ruck going around in the WAFL/SANFL - even some of the recently delisted rucks from AFL clubs would be worth considering for a late pick or PSD
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

desmondo wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm

My guess is that he is depth insurance for Saad or McKenna when either of them is unavailable.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

juff wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 pm
desmondo wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm
My guess is that he is depth insurance for Saad or McKenna when either of them is unavailable.
True. Will be a handy back up. Runs like a gazelle. Adds depth to the senior list which is what we want.