3 Players Under the Spotlight in 2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

3 Players Under the Spotlight in 2019

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:39 pm

For different reasons, these guys have to go to the next level in 2019

Joe Daniher. Injury cruelled 2018 so this is more about whether at 24/25 he can genuinely become one of the elite tall forwards in the comp. Has to develop some maturity about his game and ensure he converts when the opportunity presents itself.

Minimum Expecatation in 2019: 60 goals

Darcy Parish: Coming into his 4th season and while progress has been a little slow, showed he could be a great inside ball winner. Needs to put on kilos and start to boost stats to an A grade level

Minimum Expecatation in 2019: Ave 25 Disposals, with increased output in Clearances, Contested Ball and Tackles. Should be our version of Elliot Yeo. Here is a side by side comparison between Yeo and Parish (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S)

Jason Laverde: Gotta be Last Chance Saloon time for Lav. A naturally gifted footballer who just hasn’t worked hard when given his chance in between spells of injury. Would like to see him remain in the Fwd line.

Minimum Expecatation in 2019: 20 Games with 30 goals

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: 3 Players Under the Spotlight in 2019

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 am

So Jayden Laverde escapes the spotlight again!

:P
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:57 am

My 3 under the spotlight are;

1. Aaron Francis. Absolutely think this guy is a champ. Just hope all is well and stays well with him. Looking for marked improvement in fitness and stamina. Has all the tools to being an AA footballer.

2. James Stewart. Absolute enigma. Starts games or seasons well, but then disappears without a trace. His stamina / concentration levels are woeful. Needs to work hard to make and maintain a spot - and be consistent.

3. Jayden Laverde. No more “injury” excuses. Get time on the park, and deliver what you’ve been promising over the years. Definite last chance saloon.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am

interesting that Windy sets the pass mark for Joe at almost Coleman Level (Riewolt scored 65 this year to Brown's 61).
Personally I'd like to see Joe improve his accuracy to better than 50% goal scoring (including shots that go OOF, and those that fall short).

Re Parish vs Yeo - not only is Parish 4 years younger - he is also 4 inches shorter and probably 10 Kg lighter. I cannot see them as like for like gamestyle and players.

My nominations for improvement are:

Tippa: Seemed to go missing for large parts of games if not whole games despite getting runs in the midfield. He is a match winner who seems to me to be either on or off.

Stewart: as what Benny said - but also his work ethic in addressing what the club has identified as shortcomings and areas he needs to work on.

Clarke/Begley/Mutch/Ridley - been on the list for 3 years now, need to start making appearances and making an impact.
Last edited by s'dreams on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Its like 2017 never happened for Joe.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am
Clarke/Begley/Mutch/Ridley - been on the list for 3 years now, need to start making appearances and making an impact.
Point of order ;)
Just finished year two, coming into the third pre-season. All have shown some capability and it will get down to opportunity. They'll need to make their own case for elevation with consistently very good VFL performances.

Clarke and Mutch will be up against a mid field that is getting better so they'll wait for injuries to make space.
Ridley is in a group with Redman, Francis, Gleeson... injury required to make a spot.
Begley might get something but he'll be available a few games in and might compete with Bags. Tippa probably a lock and Fantasia definitely.

Their other opportunity comes as players get a rest week.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:17 pm

I think JoeDan's footy fxortunes in 2019 will depend on a number of things, including his Uncle Neal's declining health with MND.
Fortunately, we had 2018 season to get used to playing without Joe and we managed to curb on reliance on him and get the job done.
We need some of younger players to step up, its time for ………...Ridley, Clarke, Mutch, Mynott, Guelfi and Francis to name a few.
Now, imagine if only half of the those blokes step up, life will be easier for the whole team. We have a good spine and talent at both ends.
But; there's someone who hasn't been mentioned; Marty Gleeson. I think we really missed him this year and I think his comeback is the cherry on the cake for our defence with/without Francis.

It could be, you'll notice I said could be and NOT should be, an exciting year for us. Go Bombers.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:34 pm

My spotlight is on
Stewart and Laverde - as stated above
Langford and Myers - to continue the improvement and form from latter part of this year (plus some)
PS - bit harsh calling on Parish for avg 25 possies when he'll probably play a lesser midfied role with Shiel coming in.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:09 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 am
So Jayden Laverde escapes the spotlight again!

:P
I would love to blame spellcheck but..... :oops:

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Re Joe Daniher

Not Questioning his great 2017. The issue is can he maintain that level or improve upon it

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm

I am glad my Parish call has raised some eyebrows.

Yes he should be averaging 25 possessions a game as an inside ball getter.

Shiel coming into the team should not prevent him from doing that.

As for the Yeo comparison, being of different physical size does not therefore preclude them from being similar in role and output. Parish must build up his strength and get up to 85kgs. He is not being developed as an outside runner, so I be”I’ve the comparison is reasonable. There may be better comparisons so please feel free to suggest.

Bottom line, he needs to make a statement this year

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 pm

The team needs to make a collective statement and it needs to be very different from the one they made in the first part of 2018.

They need to play desperate and smart football, back themselves and dominate. NO complacency, no expectations of a win. Unfortunately they do this when pumped up too much. It sh1ts me no end. :evil:

Fast, furious, confident and take no prisoners! :-$

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 pm

F111 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 pm
The team needs to make a collective statement and it needs to be very different from the one they made in the first part of 2018.

They need to play desperate and smart football, back themselves and dominate. NO complacency, no expectations of a win. Unfortunately they do this when pumped up too much. It sh1ts me no end. :evil:

Fast, furious, confident and take no prisoners! :-$
Good point.

The spotlight will be on games versus absolute crud like Carlton. If we inexplicably lose a game like that AGAIN, then heads just simply have to roll. NO MORE OF THAT SHIT.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:11 pm
Re Joe Daniher

Not Questioning his great 2017. The issue is can he maintain that level or improve upon it
How about we let him get an injury free run at it before throwing him under the spotlight?

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 am

mdso makes a great point about our non-reliance on Joey. Our season turned this year when he was out of the team.
That's not to say he was the problem - HE IS A GUN - and a bonus when he comes back. However, we have shown we are not reliant upon him.

The spotlight needs to be on:

James Stewart - has all the tools and looks the goods when he is switched on. Needs to develop some consistency and a touch of mongrel.
Jayden (AKA Jason) Laverde - has slowly built his output - yet to keep his place he needs to be injury free and bend his back a bit more.
Tom Bellchambers - arguably his best season in 2018 - started slowly though. He will be carrying our ruck stocks in 2019 - big year for Tommy.

Not considered top 3 due to injury or lack of opportunity - but I'll also be watching.......
Skinny Gleeson, Ben McNeice, Josh Begley and Ridley.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Re Joe Daniher

How about we let him get an injury free run at it before throwing him under the spotlight?
Sure. That is the assumption = an injury free Daniher should be one of the three best tall forwards in the league. To think he is not under the spotlight is ignoring the degree of expectation we all have

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:00 am

I think you numpties are getting Jason Laverde mixed up with Jayden Bourne

:wink:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Re Joe Daniher

Sure. That is the assumption = an injury free Daniher should be one of the three best tall forwards in the league. To think he is not under the spotlight is ignoring the degree of expectation we all have
Yeah but your op basically says Daniher is under the spotlight until he proves he can do what he's previously done.

How about we give him a little leeway? Bloke hasn't played pain free in 12 months by the time we start again. Happy to give him time to find his stride.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Re Joe Daniher

Yeah but your op basically says Daniher is under the spotlight until he proves he can do what he's previously done.

How about we give him a little leeway? Bloke hasn't played pain free in 12 months by the time we start again. Happy to give him time to find his stride.
I just want Joey to get his accuracy up in his goal kicking. Isn't that more of a headspace thing?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm

After thinking about this for a while, I think the emphasis on the spotlights needs to shift away from certain individuals and start looking at a collective.

As mentioned above, the consistent lethargy, malaise or coma that has plagued us for years when playing poor teams needs to stop. The spotlight will be on THOSE games during 2019 and our performances within them. We know we can play well against better teams, but our preparation and concentration in “gimme” games are atrocious. The team and coaching department as a whole is under the spotlight there.

Sick of ending seasons with “if only we’d beaten Carlton (insert any other shit side), we would have made the 8, got a home final etc”