Crystal ball 2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Crystal ball 2019

Post by Crazyman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:10 pm

I know there is still the draft to come, but why not give it a shot now:

Ladder finish - 5th (win first final, bomb out following week)
B&F - Smith back to back
Most Improved - Langford
Best clubman - Bags
Leading goal kicker - JD
Highest Brownlow votes - tie between Zerrett & Shiel
AA nominations - Smith, Shiel, Zerrett, Hurls
Mark of the year - Tippa
Goal of the year - JD (a running 60m bomb)
Rising Star - Redman (given fletcher didn’t nominate this year...)
Last edited by Crazyman on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Crystal ball 2019

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Ladder finish: 6th (win 2 finals)
B&F: Dylan Shiel
Most Improved: Kyle Langford
Best clubman: Orazio Fantasia
Leading goal kicker: Joe Daniher (77)
Highest Brownlow votes: Dylan Shiel
AA nominations: Dylan Shiel, Joe Daniher, Aaron Francis
Mark of the year: Aaron Francis
Goal of the year: Orazio Fantasia
Rising Star: Jordan Ridley
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:29 am

I’ll leave the Individual stuff to you guys.

Willing to say we can make the Finals this year,but remain to be convinced how far we can go.Cut out the BS Losses to Shit teams,have a better Winning Consistency and I’ll feel a bit better.

Home and Away Finish - 7th.

Final position - 6th.

Hope I’m wrong and we finish higher. [-o<

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Ladder finish: 1st - Premiers
B&F: Zach Merrett
Most Improved: Aaron Francis
Best Clubman: Adam Saad
Leading goal kicker: Jake Stringer (52) - 4 other players to kick 30 or more goals (Orazio, Joe, Walla and Laverde)
Highest Brownlow votes: Zach Merrett - 19 votes
AA nominations: Adam Saad, Zach Merrett, Jake Stringer, Michael Hurley
Mark of the year: Joe Daniher
Goal of the year: Andrew McGrath
Rising Star: Jordan Ridley

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 am

Ladder finish: 6th
B&F: Smith
Most Improved: Stringer/McKernan
Best clubman: Bags
Leading goal kicker: Fantasia (60)
Highest Brownlow votes: Heppell (15)
AA nominations: Fantasia, Smith
Mark of the year: Aaron Francis
Goal of the year: Tippa or Saad
Rising Star Nominations: Clarke, Ridley and Mutch
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 am

Ladder finish - 4th
B&F - Dyson Heppell
Most Improved - Kyle Langford
Best clubman - Cale Hooker
Leading goal kicker - Joe Daniher (70)
Highest Brownlow votes - Zach Merrett (20)
AA nominations - Merrett, Shiel, Daniher, Hurley, Fantasia
Mark of the year - Joe Daniher
Goal of the year - Jake Stringer
Rising Star - Josh Begley, Josh Ridley

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 am

Wow...a lot of severely pessimistic punters on board here!

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 am
Tbh I think you are overtly optimistic, the rest of us are realistic.

On our day, we definitely can beat anyone. Problem is, and has been for a long time, that EFC switch off when it matters most and top teams step up and show us how things really are.

Also, as strong our starting side is on paper, I still think we lack the depth required at the moment...

So, until I see evidence we can be ruthless on field and cut out dumb losses to the bottom feeders, then yes, I will stay pessimistic.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 am

Ladder finish - 3rd (Premiers)
B&F - Dyson Heppell to remind everyone he's an actual gun that is severely underrated
Most Improved - Aaron Francis
Best clubman - Cale Hooker
Leading goal kicker - JD
Highest Brownlow votes - Heppell
AA nominations - Smith, Shiel, Zerrett, Hurls, Daniher, Heppell, Fantasia
Mark of the year - Fantasia
Goal of the year - JD
Rising Star - Pick 34
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 am
Windy_Hill wrote:

On our day, we definitely can beat anyone. Problem is, and has been for a long time, that EFC switch off when it matters most and top teams step up and show us how things really are.

Also, as strong our starting side is on paper, I still think we lack the depth required at the moment...

So, until I see evidence we can be ruthless on field and cut out dumb losses to the bottom feeders, then yes, I will stay pessimistic.
Hate to say it,but Me Too!

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:20 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm
Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

Hate to say it,but Me Too!
Yes, I`m afraid I am also pessimistic, but really don`t want to be. It`s fkng amazing (and sad almost) that our biggest test next year will not be beating the filth on Anzac Day, but beating the scum when-ever we play them. :evil:

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm

We’re up for another game in Sydney v the Swans.

Are we up for righting 2 bad Wrongs in ‘17? :evil:

A Big Test for our Psyche,maybe?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

We win 10 of our last 14 with 3 of the four losses being pretty narrow margins against Top 4 teams. A little luck and we may have won all three of those games. We embarrassed the eventual Premier on their home turf - yes, they were about as depleted of big name forwards as we were so no excuses there please.

We have recruited an AA elite Midfielder and in all likelihood will get back "new" players in Fantasia, Daniher and Gleeson - all in our best 22.

The pathetic losses last season came to an abrupt halt once wrongs had been righted and the team finally began to gel toegther under a new and more streamlined coaching philosophy.

I think we do have depth - we certainly have better depth in Key positions forward and back than almost any team - perhaps the Eagles and Richmond could argue this - either way, Hurley, Hooker, Daniher, Stringer, McKernan, Ambrose, Brown, Stewart, Francis, Hartley is not bad at all.

Mids - Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Zaharakis, Smith, Parish, McGrath, are all capable of being A+ AFL players

Pace - we are untouchable in this area and Pace is now as important as any other factor in squad demographics.

Squad Experience - about half the squad is now in that critical 50 to 100 game window where potential becomes reality - players like Fantasia, , Stringer, Merrett, Parish, Daniher, Tippungwutti, McGrath, Gleeson, McKenna, Saad, Langford have not even reached their prime years so we have so much upside there.

Promising Youngsters - Begley, Redman, Mutch, Ridley, Clarke, Guelfi - so much positive news coming out of the club on these kids

Injuries do and will happen. I think last year we showed that we are not reliant on any one player - the depth to cover losses both short and long term runs deep.

Major concern is in the ruck with a lack of support for TBC - but even here we have Daniher, McKernan and the raw potential of Lavender and Draper. Pick up a half decent ruck in the PSD and we should be fine.

I am pretty sure my call on final ladder position is based on the evidence in front of me. I am not going to judge the team on the poor start to 2018. Yes, we need to put away teams like Carlton but every side will trip up throughout a season. So come on guys - jump on the bandwagon, we will not allow the Premiership Drought to equal the club record of 19 years. It just wont happen

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Sorry Windy, whilst you highlight some things that are true, you basically named our starting 22 and a few extras.

As I said, on paper our starting 22 is enviable, agree we have good depth in our KP’s and are building depth in the midfield, but we aren’t there yet.

You cite the back end of last year, yes that was good. But they failed when it mattered and it feels like forever since we showed the ruthlessness to destroy bottom feeders. How often have we lost the Scum, Lions, Dees (when they were shit) or turned up switched on for a big game (Anzac Day, season on the line, etc), but found a way to be insipid, uninspiring and downright horrid to watch?

So yes, I am hopeful what you see will happen, but until it does happen, I remain skeptical.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Ladder finish: 2nd (Premiers)
B&F: Dylan Shiel
Most Improved: Aaron Francis
Best clubman: Dyson Heppel
Leading goal kicker: Joe Daniher
Highest Brownlow votes: Dylan Shiel
AA nominations: Dylan Shiel, Joe Danier, Devon Smith, Michael Hurley
Mark of the year: JD
Goal of the year: JD - or Stringer with one of his "impossibles."
Rising Star: Redman

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Crazyman wrote:
... until I see evidence we can be ruthless on field and cut out dumb losses to the bottom feeders...
Score on the board, ladder position dominance at week 6...I'll be convinced that I might become optimistic. :lol:

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 am

F111 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm
Crazyman wrote:
... until I see evidence we can be ruthless on field and cut out dumb losses to the bottom feeders...
Score on the board, ladder position dominance at week 6...I'll be convinced that I might become optimistic. :lol:
Can always call upon the skipper to get it done

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

Crazyman wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 pm
Sorry Windy, whilst you highlight some things that are true, you basically named our starting 22 and a few extras.

As I said, on paper our starting 22 is enviable, agree we have good depth in our KP’s and are building depth in the midfield, but we aren’t there yet.

You cite the back end of last year, yes that was good. But they failed when it mattered and it feels like forever since we showed the ruthlessness to destroy bottom feeders. How often have we lost the Scum, Lions, Dees (when they were shit) or turned up switched on for a big game (Anzac Day, season on the line, etc), but found a way to be insipid, uninspiring and downright horrid to watch?

So yes, I am hopeful what you see will happen, but until it does happen, I remain skeptical.

Guys unlikely to be in our best 22 yet have Senior AFL experience

Brown, Hartley, Ambrose, Stewart, McNeice, Guelfi, Redman, Clarke, Begley, Long, Mutch, Ridley. So I am hardly listing just the Best 22 and a couple of extras. The fact is that whilst they are not in the best 22, they could all mount a strong case to be there. Our depth is very good.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am
Crazyman wrote:

Brown, Hartley, Ambrose, Stewart, McNeice, Guelfi, Redman, Clarke, Begley, Long, Mutch, Ridley. So I am hardly listing just the Best 22 and a couple of extras. The fact is that whilst they are not in the best 22, they could all mount a strong case to be there. Our depth is very good.
Ambrose and Guelfi are the only 2 on that list that provide genuine depth. Stewart maybe but need to stay in the game longer, the rest, games ‘earned’ due to suspension, injury..,depth my arse.

Senior ‘experience’ doesn’t make them a good AFL player or even a good AFL depth player (fmd you named Long)

As I say,I like your optimism, but beyond player 25, unless someone steps up, our depth is weak & you’re f****** deluded to think otherwise.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am
Crazyman wrote:

Ambrose and Guelfi are the only 2 on that list that provide genuine depth. Stewart maybe but need to stay in the game longer, the rest, games ‘earned’ due to suspension, injury..,depth my arse.

Senior ‘experience’ doesn’t make them a good AFL player or even a good AFL depth player (fmd you named Long)

As I say,I like your optimism, but beyond player 25, unless someone steps up, our depth is weak & you’re f****** deluded to think otherwise.
Completely accept your rationale but despite the limited experience of players such as Ridley, Clarke, Mutch, and Redman, I can report that the people I know who are close to the club think these guys are all very exciting prospects. I mention that they have had AFL experience because I think that also represents a positive outlook from the coaching staff - give em a game as they have earned that opportunity. Yep, fully accept that we have seen that all before and had numerous false dawns. The difference this time however is that these peripheral players will genuinely have to earn their place unlike in the past when the likes of Dyson, Slattery, Lovet-Murray got games for doing stuff all. That is why I believe we have greater and more impressive depth than at any time in the last 10 years. Stewart, despite his flaws, is a guy that can come into the side and represent 2 goals a game. Brown did as much in the last half of this past season. Ambrose can definitely hold down a spot if Hooker or Hurley go down for a few weeks. Mutch, Guelfi and Clark can come in for a Parish or McGrath and do a job. We saw how impressive Ridley was in his first up game and Begley and Redman look like decent long term prospects that could cover for a Stringer or Laverde

Depth also means our players from 15-22 are substantially better than previous years. We now run deep in our starting 22 whereas six or seven years ago the list fell apart after the top 8 players

Anyway, I hear you and you may be right. I guess time will tell
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.