Crystal ball 2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Re: Crystal ball 2019

Post by Rover99 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am
Crazyman wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 pm
Sorry Windy, whilst you highlight some things that are true, you basically named our starting 22 and a few extras.

As I said, on paper our starting 22 is enviable, agree we have good depth in our KP’s and are building depth in the midfield, but we aren’t there yet.

You cite the back end of last year, yes that was good. But they failed when it mattered and it feels like forever since we showed the ruthlessness to destroy bottom feeders. How often have we lost the Scum, Lions, Dees (when they were shit) or turned up switched on for a big game (Anzac Day, season on the line, etc), but found a way to be insipid, uninspiring and downright horrid to watch?

So yes, I am hopeful what you see will happen, but until it does happen, I remain skeptical.

Guys unlikely to be in our best 22 yet have Senior AFL experience

Brown, Hartley, Ambrose, Stewart, McNeice, Guelfi, Redman, Clarke, Begley, Long, Mutch, Ridley. So I am hardly listing just the Best 22 and a couple of extras. The fact is that whilst they are not in the best 22, they could all mount a strong case to be there. Our depth is very good.
Ambrose and Guelfi are the only 2 on that list that provide genuine depth. Stewart maybe but need to stay in the game longer, the rest, games ‘earned’ due to suspension, injury..,depth my arse.

Senior ‘experience’ doesn’t make them a good AFL player or even a good AFL depth player (fmd you named Long)

As I say,I like your optimism, but beyond player 25, unless someone steps up, our depth is weak & you’re f****** deluded to think otherwise.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Indeed. Just look at all the "seniors experience" Langford notched up before he could hit a target. :roll: None of those guys are setting the world on fire ATM. If Dea was still around I might have felt better. The situation might change this year but not if we stay largely injury free and they don't get game time. I suggest that next year we think about importing some quality "depth" as a strategy into the 2's - but of course anything can happen in the meantime.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 pm
Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
Sorry Windy, whilst you highlight some things that are true, you basically named our starting 22 and a few extras.

As I said, on paper our starting 22 is enviable, agree we have good depth in our KP’s and are building depth in the midfield, but we aren’t there yet.

You cite the back end of last year, yes that was good. But they failed when it mattered and it feels like forever since we showed the ruthlessness to destroy bottom feeders. How often have we lost the Scum, Lions, Dees (when they were shit) or turned up switched on for a big game (Anzac Day, season on the line, etc), but found a way to be insipid, uninspiring and downright horrid to watch?

So yes, I am hopeful what you see will happen, but until it does happen, I remain skeptical.

Brown, Hartley, Ambrose, Stewart, McNeice, Guelfi, Redman, Clarke, Begley, Long, Mutch, Ridley. So I am hardly listing just the Best 22 and a couple of extras. The fact is that whilst they are not in the best 22, they could all mount a strong case to be there. Our depth is very good.
Ambrose and Guelfi are the only 2 on that list that provide genuine depth. Stewart maybe but need to stay in the game longer, the rest, games ‘earned’ due to suspension, injury..,depth my arse.

Senior ‘experience’ doesn’t make them a good AFL player or even a good AFL depth player (fmd you named Long)

As I say,I like your optimism, but beyond player 25, unless someone steps up, our depth is weak & you’re f****** deluded to think otherwise.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Indeed. Just look at all the "seniors experience" Langford notched up before he could hit a target. :roll: None of those guys are setting the world on fire ATM. If Dea was still around I might have felt better. The situation might change this year but not if we stay largely injury free and they don't get game time. I suggest that next year we think about importing some quality "depth" as a strategy into the 2's - but of course anything can happen in the meantime.
Langers has only played 47 games. He started on 31 games at the beginning of the season. He’s shown significant improvement this year in terms of maturity and quality in play. His last game was fantastic. Will easily be in best 22 next year.

No reason why those with less games on the list can perform at a similar level to Kyle this year. Give them opportunity, and they may thrive.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm
Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Crazyman wrote:

Completely accept your rationale but despite the limited experience of players such as Ridley, Clarke, Mutch, and Redman, I can report that the people I know who are close to the club think these guys are all very exciting prospects. I mention that they have had AFL experience because I think that also represents a positive outlook from the coaching staff - give em a game as they have earned that opportunity. Yep, fully accept that we have seen that all before and had numerous false dawns. The difference this time however is that these peripheral players will genuinely have to earn their place unlike in the past when the likes of Dyson, Slattery, Lovet-Murray got games for doing stuff all. That is why I believe we have greater and more impressive depth than at any time in the last 10 years. Stewart, despite his flaws, is a guy that can come into the side and represent 2 goals a game. Brown did as much in the last half of this past season. Ambrose can definitely hold down a spot if Hooker or Hurley go down for a few weeks. Mutch, Guelfi and Clark can come in for a Parish or McGrath and do a job. We saw how impressive Ridley was in his first up game and Begley and Redman look like decent long term prospects that could cover for a Stringer or Laverde

Depth also means our players from 15-22 are substantially better than previous years. We now run deep in our starting 22 whereas six or seven years ago the list fell apart after the top 8 players

Anyway, I hear you and you may be right. I guess time will tell
Fair points also Windy. Agree re starting 22. Concern is that developing players don’t get enough games in them to get where they need to be...time will tell. Glass is halfway full and definitely half full not empty compared to previous years...just a little way to go for me to reach that tipping point of optimism tbh 🤞🙏

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Crazyman wrote:

Brown and Hartley stiff.

Brown especially. His last 11 games were exactly what you'd expect from a depth forward, kicked a couple of "bags" of 3.

Hartley nearly got picked up by Sydney.

They aren't world beaters but they're handy enough as depth.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 pm
Rover99 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 pm
Crazyman wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Crazyman wrote:

Langers has only played 47 games. He started on 31 games at the beginning of the season. He’s shown significant improvement this year in terms of maturity and quality in play. His last game was fantastic. Will easily be in best 22 next year.

No reason why those with less games on the list can perform at a similar level to Kyle this year. Give them opportunity, and they may thrive.
My point exactly. After 47 games.
Brown, Hartley and perhaps Ambrose and Geulfi (and maybe Stewart on a good day) could step up and possibly get away with it but the others are just "prospects" as you say and not" real depth" ATM. And with the team being as it is now, the only way they are going to get experience next year is if we have injuries or suspensions. This year, any one of them could have bought a game as it was the "year of the youngsters" (by necessity) Hopefully that has changed. Personally I was gnashing my teeth that they didn't rotate them more, instead of persevering with Langers for so long.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am

Trust me, Redman and Ridley are definitely more than prospects.

Laverde has a mountain of upside

Begley will be like a new player and has already shown enough. These 4 players alone could very well be Best 22 by the end of the 2019

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am

Why do I get the feeling,some of our delistings might burn us,especially against a bottom feeder side? :roll: #-o
Last edited by grassy1 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am

Laverde has a mountain of upside

Begley will be like a new player and has already shown enough. These 4 players alone could very well be Best 22 by the end of the 2019

Yep. That's why I named Redman as our possible rising star.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:31 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am
Why do I get the feeling,some of our delistings might burn us elsewhere,especially against a bottom feeder side? :roll: #-o
Yeah, okay Grassy. Why is this? (not that I doubt your logic.)

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:26 am

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:31 pm
grassy1 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am
Why do I get the feeling,some of our delistings might burn us elsewhere,especially against a bottom feeder side? :roll: #-o
Yeah, okay Grassy. Why is this? (not that I doubt your logic.)
Maybe thinks Colyer will burn us when we play Freo? I doubt it personally, but you always find ex-players growing an extra leg when they play their old team. Colyer would need to grow another set of hands to be any threat.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:54 am

Nah,guys like Laverde and Begley,rather than Travis.

If Travis gets stuck playing with Peelmantle,he’ll be wishing he packed it in with AFL,so he could play with Claremont instead.

Luke Strnodica is luckier than he thinks.Sure he deserves to be on an AFL List(with us is a good option).But as I said before, if those Idiots at Fremantle want to keep plodding along with Sandilands(who can barely hold up these days),then he is Most Definitely better off elsewhere.

East Fremantle’s a good start.He’ll be right in the thick of it and in familiar,happier surrounds.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:54 am
Nah,guys like Laverde and Begley,rather than Travis.

If Travis gets stuck playing with Peelmantle,he’ll be wishing he packed it in with AFL,so he could play with Claremont instead.

Luke Strnodica is luckier than he thinks.Sure he deserves to be on an AFL List(with us is a good option).But as I said before, if those Idiots at Fremantle want to keep plodding along with Sandilands(who can barely hold up these days),then he is Most Definitely better off elsewhere.

East Fremantle’s a good start.He’ll be right in the thick of it and in familiar,happier surrounds.
Laverde and Begley haven’t been delisted..

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

What wasI thinking? :shock:

Matt Dea then.

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 am

Ladder finish: 3rd - Lose Prelim
B&F: Dylan Shiel
Most Improved: Andrew McGrath
Best clubman: Devon Smith
Leading goal kicker: Joe Daniher
Highest Brownlow votes: Joe Daniher
AA nominations: Dylan Shiel, Joe Daniher, Devon Smith, Jake Stringer
Mark of the year: JD
Goal of the year: Stringer
Rising Star: Begley

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

grassy1 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Matt Dea then.
Got a surplus of medium defenders grass.

I loved Matty's work ethic and endeavor but he is depth at best.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:10 pm

No worries Bonce.

I just that naggin’,crook in the gut feeling doesn’t come buggin’ us next season.

If our boys are to step up,that’s the sort of thing they have to eliminate from their game,if they wish to advance up the Ladder.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 pm

At lot of love for Shiel to take out the Crichton in his first season at Essendon. Probably not a bad bet when you consider previous high profile recruits, Goddard and Smith won in their first year at the club.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Mason Redman and Jordan Ridley showed great toe to fill the placings behind Langford on the grass, but Redman unfortunately suffered an injury following the trial and scans have confirmed a fracture to his ankle.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

F111 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm
Rover99 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Mason Redman and Jordan Ridley showed great toe to fill the placings behind Langford on the grass, but Redman unfortunately suffered an injury following the trial and scans have confirmed a fracture to his ankle.
tragedy - hopefully nothing too bad - but fractured ankle means no running for a month or so and that pretty much kills off his fitness base leading into the season.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am
grassy1 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Matt Dea then.
Got a surplus of medium defenders grass.

I loved Matty's work ethic and endeavor but he is depth at best.
Obviously not surplus to the club. Where was your mail on him being picked up as a rookie?