Players who you desperately wanted to make it but were just not good enough!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Players who you desperately wanted to make it but were just not good enough!

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:51 am

We have all had them, those players who you just wanted to be the next big thing only to be let down time and time again.

With new draftees causing a lot of “buzz” before they have even kicked a ball in anger, it’s fair to say the hype wagon is set to flank speed.

So good luck to the new lads but in all likelihood, the chances of any of them playing more than a handful of games is slim.

Over the years I have seen many a messiah promise the world to only end up being a fallen idol

Here is my Top 10 “Players who Lost me a Whole Lot of Money because in the end They Were Crap”

1. Joel Reynolds....I claimed he would be our next Brownlow medalist back in the day. Never got out of first gear and cast a horrid shadow over his legendary grandfather’s name.

2. Tayte Pears.... could be excused due to some horrific injuries but even after he had recovered from those, he ended up being just a bog average player after the false dawn of that one promising season

3. Jason Laycock... saw him pull down a super pack mark in his first game....looked like his hands we metal vices. I was wrong, they were flimsy gelatin like utensils that ended up doing sweet eff all.

4. David Myers...who wasn’t excited when we drafted this super talented west Aussie....crikey, we were lucky enough to nab him before Hawthorn could in the National Draft. They had to settle for Cyril Rioli instead. I may end up eating my words if Myersy has a huge 2019 but I am pretty sure it will just be another few games when we ooh and ahh about his cannon of a left foot that always punts the ball 80m into the opponents hands..... it f***....what a cannon

5. Scott Gumbleton...our highest ever draft pick and oh boy, didn’t we just want him to succeed so we didn’t end up looking stupid for taking him over Scott Selwood and Jack Reiwoldt...we ended up looking stupid. However there was that one game against Port in Adelaide about 7 years ago when Scotty booted 3 from CHF and we all thought everything in the world was going to be ok..... it wasn’t and neither was Gumby who broke down again 2 weeks later.

6. Ben Doolan....the gun recruit from Sydney who we agreed to pay $100,000 a year for his services...a club record at the time. We did manage to get about 76 entirely unforgettable games out Benny who could barely break out of a walk he was that damn slow. But gee, for $100k who didn’t think he was going to be the next Barry Davis. Unfortunately the only BD he got close to was a Bidet.

7. Geoff Raines.....what a coup gabbing the classy left footer from Collingwood...surely Rainsey would bring the much longed for Flag to Windy Hill. Many of you won’t remember how good a player he was and I couldn’t believe it that after 1 shitful season he was gone. I bought his damned badge for my duffle coat.

8. Mark Bolton...yes you are correct, the same guy who had the 3km time trial named after him. A number 4 draft selection that oozed class on the training track then went to water on the big stage...or did. Then, in or around 2004, he had his Winter of Wonder when he stormed home with several best on ground performances. If my memory serves me correctly, St Kilda offered us the world for him during the trade period that year and we told them to Eff Off. Bolts never played another good game although we all prayed he would. St Kilda however had the last laugh grabbing Andy Lovett from us a few years later.

9. Courtney Dempsey....his blind back heel flick of the football at full pace running through the middle of the MCG will live forever in the memories of those who witnessed this Pele esque moment of sublime talent. Ok it was an accident but for just that one brief moment in time we could all point to our Carlton loving buddies and go “yes sir, that’s what I’m talking about”

10. Tony Antrobus...Ah what list like this could be completed without mention of the Angry Ant...who came over to the Bombers from North Adelaide in 1987 with a reputation the size of the Barrossa Valley.....unfortunately Tony’s much vaunted footballing talents dried up like a grape on a Clare Valley vine and despite his massive fan base at Windy Hill, he could only manage 26 games over three seasons in the red and pinot

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Players who you desperately wanted to make it but were just not good enough!

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 am

This is a very long, long, long list.

Cupido, Reimers, Kepler Bradley, McAlister, Jetta, Nick O’Brien (wore No.10 ffs), Henneman, Lalich, Jay Neagle, Jay Nash...

Virtually anyone listed in the “OH NO HE DIDN’T” thread.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Players who you desperately wanted to make it but were just not good enough!

Post by boncer34 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am

Before labeling our recruiters stupid you might wanna check which Selwood we picked Gumby over. :wink:
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am

boncer34 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am
Before labeling our recruiters stupid you might wanna check which Selwood we picked Gumby over. :wink:

Yeah there was Joel too but Scott was the one that got away... :wink:

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 am
This is a very long, long, long list.

Cupido, Reimers, Kepler Bradley, McAlister, Jetta, Nick O’Brien (wore No.10 ffs), Henneman, Lalich, Jay Neagle, Jay Nash...

Virtually anyone listed in the “OH NO HE DIDN’T” thread.
Ben...let me assure you that unlike the Oh No He Didn’t list, this one is about players you genuinely wanted to succeed as opposed to just any player about who you may have made some outrageous claim.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Courtney (brick shit-house) Johns ... his debut was hailed as the second coming.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Yes as my heart beats fast thinking about Shiel and the promise in this year's Idraft I can't help thinking with fear and tripadation about these fallen Heroes. Then we have players who showed us flashes of brilliance in between injuries but never ever came good. I think they're the hardest to take of all. Which reminds me has anybody got any recent information about Joey?

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:02 am

Rover99 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:21 pm
Yes as my heart beats fast thinking about Shiel and the promise in this year's Idraft I can't help thinking with fear and tripadation about these fallen Heroes. Then we have players who showed us flashes of brilliance in between injuries but never ever came good. I think they're the hardest to take of all. Which reminds me has anybody got any recent information about Joey?
Would've played finals

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 am

s'dreams wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:44 pm
Courtney (brick shit-house) Johns ... his debut was hailed as the second coming.
If you had seen his under 18 footy, you would have thought the same. His hip injury was extreme, lucky to have even got near the field.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:07 am

Dwayne Armstrong.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

Goaner Tutlan

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Johns, Cupido, Rioli are my top 3.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Crazyman wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm
Rioli not good enough?

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:02 am
Rover99 wrote:
Would've played finals
Great Bonce. Thanks.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:22 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:29 pm
Crazyman wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 pm
Rioli not good enough?
For the talent he had, did not deliver nearly enough...

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:31 am

Trav Colyer

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:31 am
Trav Colyer
Yeah Trav was just outside my Top 10. There was a time when I think we were just praying he would be the answer to or pacey goalkicking rover drought. I think as soon as Raz came on to the scene we collectively dropped Trav in a manner reminiscent of him dropping the pill....unsightly

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Rover99 wrote:
Would've played finals
Great Bonce. Thanks.
Scratch that.

Appears the clubs been talking shit about how Joe is recovering.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:02 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 pm
Rover99 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Rover99 wrote:
Would've played finals
Great Bonce. Thanks.
Scratch that.

I take it you mean he is "not"recovering as well as is being portrayed - which by the way looks pretty bleak anyway

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 pm
Rover99 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Rover99 wrote:
Would've played finals
Great Bonce. Thanks.
Scratch that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had that same F**** horrible feeling myself. If that's the case, we have to come clean and do something right now to fill his enormous boots. Everyone knows that relying on Joey for too long in 2018 was our biggest mistake. Hiding the truth let everyone down, fans,and players alike and the fast finishers, (try as they might), gave the field too big a start. We have to face up to the worst now, or it's more of the same in 2019. Suggestions anyone for a possible new line-up?