Pokies and the Bombers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Pokies and the Bombers

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 am

I am hearing more sarcastic “whatever it takes, hey?!” comments coming from opposition haters in light of the club’s renewal of its Melton Country Club lease for a further 29 years. It would seem our stake in poker machines is not in keeping with the politically correct view as other clubs walk away from gambling revenues?

What are your thoughts on this. Personally my view if it’s legal, why not.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Pokies and the Bombers

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:38 am

While the AFL promotes gambling like a prostitute, I’m all for EFC having this venue.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 am

We're a football club not the morale police.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm

No,we’re not Moral Police,I agree.

But if the Mob known as Awfull want to play Moral Police,perhaps they can tell us why a Pensioner’s Season Ticket in WA,went from $350 to 640? :evil:

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Collingwood being portrayed as some kind of moral beacon for offloading their pokies venues. Ha. that's like a Columbian Drug lord çashing in on the Meth Lab. Not only does he profit from his nefarious deeds but the problem still exists - the Meth Lab is simply being operated by another party

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm

I’m on the fence with this one. There is a lot of fantastic community work the club does. They get involved in so many charitable causes, and do a lot of work to help the unfortunate. Then on the other hand, they contribute to an establishment that causes a lot of societal damage.

I understand the counter arguments, and the example of the AFL position with gambling advertising, but I can’t understand the contradiction of moral standings.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 pm

McDonalds, Alcohol, Smoking, Leaded Petrol, Gambling, Ed Sheeran.

Activities invented by humans for humans with dire consequences if abused.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:46 pm
McDonalds, Alcohol, Smoking, Leaded Petrol, Gambling, Ed Sheeran.

How about Lotto?Plenty of unskilled Gambling by the many jo blows there.

Activities invented by humans for humans with dire consequences if abused.

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 pm

I hate the things. Never play them. They cause so much damage.

If we decided to get rid of them and at our venues and you couldn't buy the licences and these machines we gone forever then I would be in favour of getting rid of them.

If Essendon decided to get out of them, the license is passed onto whoever buys it so apart from people feeling good about Essendon not being in pokies nothing changes. I'd much rather Essendon make money out of them than a Woolies or someone like Bruce Matherson.

The reality is that if Essendon decide to get out of pokies, we will have to replace that revenue somehow.

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:38 am

BERT wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 pm
I hate the things. Never play them. They cause so much damage.

If we decided to get rid of them and at our venues and you couldn't buy the licences and these machines we gone forever then I would be in favour of getting rid of them.

If Essendon decided to get out of them, the license is passed onto whoever buys it so apart from people feeling good about Essendon not being in pokies nothing changes. I'd much rather Essendon make money out of them than a Woolies or someone like Bruce Matherson.

The reality is that if Essendon decide to get out of pokies, we will have to replace that revenue somehow.
Yes, I understand that it is the Board's desire and longer-term intent, to get out of this revenue stream, however, with the debt and the expansion - now is not the time.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.