Sheeds leads the push for Hirdy...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
desmondo
High Draft Pick

Sheeds leads the push for Hirdy...

Post by desmondo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Kevin Sheedy is leading the push to get James Hird back into senior coaching.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-gr ... 37d22e349c

Personally I`d love to see him eventually, back at the Bombers. But what-ever he decides I wish him well.

BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sheeds leads the push for Hirdy...

Post by BERT » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm

2% chance he is a senior coach again. Zero chance he coaches Essendon again.

Does he even want to go through all that again? Does he want to put his family through that again?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I honestly think this is well meaning but wrongly implemented

You know that the football community will only view this as "Crazy Kev" shoving Hird down their collective throats.

No, a better tactic would have been for Hird to take on a job in the football industry without the fanfare before hand and let actions speak.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Not that anything Sheeds says would ever be a complete surprise, but I would be surprised if he has said this without having had some sort of discussion with Hird about it previously (recent or longer ago).
Putting myself in Hird's position, I wouldn't want to do it again, but who knows, perhaps he is still driven to this sort of ambition?
A lesser role at a footy club would seem more likely.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:40 pm

A Match Day Role from the other side maybe?

AFL Timekeeper at a few Grand a Job.Or start as an assistant at Essendon Reserves(unless Club Timekeepers aren’t allowed there?).When the regular Ressies Timekeeper has to travel or is sick,maybe Hirdy can see footy from another angle?

Hope there’s a couple of Functions tossed in with that.Apart from one or 2 points of difference in footy banter,it’s pretty good thing to do.Having said,if AWFULL have us stopping the watch all the time with all the bloody rule changes,I might migrate to the Pig Pen and sink a few tinnies on a lazy Sat’dy arvo.Not sure your missus would appreciate that though,Jimmy. :lol:

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 am

I hope he does get back into it. I think an opposition strategy role like Ross the Boss was looking for would be good.

I don’t think he should go straight back coaching and I don’t think it should be with Essendon (as much as that pains me to say it)

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 am

BERT wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm
2% chance he is a senior coach again. Zero chance he coaches Essendon again.

Does he even want to go through all that again? Does he want to put his family through that again?
Yes and no.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Hird was making a bucket load of cash with his business interests before being lured into coaching. I think he should just go back and start making bucket loads of cash again.....must have some pretty nasty legal bills to pay.

Why on earth would he subject himself to the rigours of AFL coaching and all the unjustified sniping he would get from the c**** in the media

Nope, just do whatever you want for you and your family Hirdy....you have already done enough for Essendon. You owe football absolutely nothing

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 pm

I can’t see it happening at all. Hope he’s well. And actually hope he ends up chairman of the club one day.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 am

Well,one thing for sure,is he’ll never take up bike racing in the Tour de France.

He’d be lucky to get through the 1st stage,let alone ‘round the block. 8) :lol:

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 am
Well,one thing for sure,is he’ll never take up bike racing in the Tour de France.

He’d be lucky to get through the 1st stage,let alone ‘round the block. 8) :lol:
:lol:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:31 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 pm
And actually hope he ends up chairman of the club one day.
Can I respectfully ask why??

Because he's a club legend or because he has all the appropriate qualifications and experience to be Chairman?

I get the sentimentality but don't we want to attract suitably qualified and experienced individuals - its not an honorary position but a position of administrative importance to the strategic direction taken by the club both on and off the field. This is not to say Hird cant be that person in time but it doesn't make sense to simply hope for it based on your admiration for the individual.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:16 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:31 am
Windy Hille wrote:

Because he's a club legend or because he has all the appropriate qualifications and experience to be Chairman?

I get the sentimentality but don't we want to attract suitably qualified and experienced individuals - its not an honorary position but a position of administrative importance to the strategic direction taken by the club both on and off the field. This is not to say Hird cant be that person in time but it doesn't make sense to simply hope for it based on your admiration for the individual.
Simply because he has the acumen. He’s done the courses, he’s got the experience in running businesses, cares for the club, and would be better serving it as chairman rather than coach (him coaching again is the sentiment of the thread).

The return question would be...why would you exclude him? Because of his involvement in the supplements program? The cuckoo clock has tolled enough times on that subject.

If he has the credentials (and he has), I cannot see why he cannot run for the board. He’d be elected on there, no worries at all. Do you think the members will reject him?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:16 pm

How about slowing down a bit and taking up a role I suggested?

The Presidency and all the pressure that goes with it,can wait awhile.
Last edited by grassy1 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:16 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:

Simply because he has the acumen. He’s done the courses, he’s got the experience in running businesses, cares for the club, and would be better serving it as chairman rather than coach (him coaching again is the sentiment of the thread).

The return question would be...why would you exclude him? Because of his involvement in the supplements program? The cuckoo clock has tolled enough times on that subject.

If he has the credentials (and he has), I cannot see why he cannot run for the board. He’d be elected on there, no worries at all. Do you think the members will reject him?
does this answer your return question?

This is not to say Hird cant be that person in time

Hoping for something based on sentimentality is a very different thing to assessing someone's CV when the time is right. Based on your criteria, he's done courses, cares for the club and has business experience, I would say that probably narrows the field down to several thousand

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:

Hoping for something based on sentimentality is a very different thing to assessing someone's CV when the time is right. Based on your criteria, he's done courses, cares for the club and has business experience, I would say that probably narrows the field down to several thousand
You do realise how a football clubs work? You don’t rock up with your CV asking for an interview for a position on the board. You nominate, and you get elected. Then the board elects the Chairman.

What’s “in time” mean? If he wishes to run, he runs. The members will consider his nomination and vote accordingly. So he has the same credentials as thousands of others. Yep. Who do you think members will vote for when they see James Hird running against John Q Citizen?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:

You do realise how a football clubs work? You don’t rock up with your CV asking for an interview for a position on the board. You nominate, and you get elected. Then the board elects the Chairman.

What’s “in time” mean? If he wishes to run, he runs. The members will consider his nomination and vote accordingly. So he has the same credentials as thousands of others. Yep. Who do you think members will vote for when they see James Hird running against John Q Citizen?
You asking me if I know how a football club works yest you obviously think a person's professional experience - ie his CV, is not at the forefront of the acceptance of the nomination and ultimate appointment. Give me a break pal. The best candidate is likely to be a person of excellent and demonstrable business/political/social acumen with a broad network amongst the various media and networking groups. In regards to Hird, other than being a champion player for the club with some reasonable business success, he does not match the qualifications of the current Chairman, for example. In time, seeing as you cant grasp the point, simply means that perhapsone day Hird will have the suitable qualifications to be the Chairman of the club. But as it stands today, he does not. And certainly no more than many other ex-players. The problem with som many "fans" is their blind loyalty to ex players simply because of their on-field glories. Other than Ben Buckley at North, name me an ex player who is currently Chairman of an AFL club?

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Windy Hille wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

You asking me if I know how a football club works yest you obviously think a person's professional experience - ie his CV, is not at the forefront of the acceptance of the nomination and ultimate appointment. Give me a break pal. The best candidate is likely to be a person of excellent and demonstrable business/political/social acumen with a broad network amongst the various media and networking groups. In regards to Hird, other than being a champion player for the club with some reasonable business success, he does not match the qualifications of the current Chairman, for example. In time, seeing as you cant grasp the point, simply means that perhapsone day Hird will have the suitable qualifications to be the Chairman of the club. But as it stands today, he does not. And certainly no more than many other ex-players. The problem with som many "fans" is their blind loyalty to ex players simply because of their on-field glories. Other than Ben Buckley at North, name me an ex player who is currently Chairman of an AFL club?
Glenn Bartlett.

You have just underlined your ignorance of how football clubs work. Again, the “fans” don’t pick the Chairman. Members pick board members. Do you even know who is on the current board? Bet you don’t without looking it up. I suppose the “fans” were a bit “loyally blind” when voting in Simon Madden and Chris Heffernan. What were they thinking? Shows how little you know.

What sort of qualifications do you need to be Chairman? A successful business man?? You seem to lust for such things but ignore other appointments like politicians - Lindsay Tanner and Jeff Kennett. Media personalities in Eddie McGuire, David Koch, and previously - James Brayshaw. Lawyer Peggy O’Neal. Etcetera.

Just because you have successful business credentials, it doesn’t necessarily mean you automatically become a successful chairman / president of a football club. Say hi to David Evans and Ray “looselips” Horsbourough for me.

Before you reply, put down your plonk, put on your glasses, and put on your thinking cap.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 am

Stick to a voluntary role to start with,James.Just don’t ride your bike to the footy,’k? :wink:

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 am
Stick to a voluntary role to start with,James.Just don’t ride your bike to the footy,’k? :wink:
Yes, that’s right. What’s the latest there? Haven’t heard anything regarding recovery etc...