Praccy Matches

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Praccy Matches

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 pm

Not impressed...some real warning signs, practice match or not.

Clearly Merrett is not right and probably still building after he injured his leg a few weeks back

No team cohesion to speak of....horrible decision making...terrible implemenatation of a very odd looking game plan

Shiel, Stringer, Ridley, AMT, McGrath doing ok. The rest looking very average

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:39 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 am
BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:54 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 pm
Team vs Geelong for Praccy Match 2

B: P.Ambrose 29, M.Brown 28, A.Saad 42
HB: A.Francis 10, M.Hurley 18, A.McGrath 1
C: D.Heppell 21, J.Stringer 25, M.Guelfi 35
HF: D.Smith 5, D.Myers 23, D.Zaharakis 11
F: M.Baguley 12, J.Daniher 6, A.McDonald-Tipungwuti 43
FOLL: T.Bellchambers 2, D.Shiel 9, J.Ridley 14
I/C: C.McKenna 45, D.Parish 3, B.Ham 33, S.Draper 38, K.Langford 4, D.Clarke 37, Z.Merrett 7, O.Fantasia 13

Emerg: J.Stewart 17, J.Laverde 15, S.McKernan 44, J.Long 34

A few young-uns getting a run this week, Would have like to see Laverde get another run - I thought he went OK last week. Would have like to see Zerk-T get a look in as well.
Yeah, I don’t get why they don’t give Ber-Zerk a crack. He’s a good footballer.
Agreed.

Btw Benny we get smacked tonight and my melt down will be impressive.
Haha, I might be more tolerant :wink:

We generally play better against better opposition. That’s what frustrates me. Anyway, we’ll see what transpires...
I bet you’re not feeling tolerant.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Disillusioned.

Tick off another year of nothingness.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Wow....how to kill off pre season optimism in 7 lazy qtrs of football.

There is one word that keeps coming to mind

Passengers

Just too many passengers. Not prepared to run, chase, create space, apply pressure. Still a qtr to go so sure, Geelong will probably shut up shop and we’ll mount a typically belated late charge. Damage done however.

We really lack strength around the ball and I have to say, Parish and Langford, both top 20 draft picks, are simply not good enough.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm
Disillusioned.

Got some ANZAC day tickets going cheap if you want?

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:25 pm

OK part way into the 4th quarter and Ham, Clarke and Draper are still on the pine. Parish only 35% gametime

Either they are getting time into underdone players or wanting to ... I dunno.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:15 pm
Wow....how to kill off pre season optimism in 7 lazy qtrs of football.

There is one word that keeps coming to mind

Passengers

Just too many passengers. Not prepared to run, chase, create space, apply pressure. Still a qtr to go so sure, Geelong will probably shut up shop and we’ll mount a typically belated late charge. Damage done however.

We really lack strength around the ball and I have to say, Parish and Langford, both top 20 draft picks, are simply not good enough.
Parish on ground only 35% gametime. Langford 50%. Hard to judge on that.

Biggest disappointment was delivery - simple passing wasnt good. Same old hassle - breaking down in the middle and constantly kicking to a 2 on 1 in the middle.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Feels like we've absolutely dominated in parts, not scored and they go up the other end and score on first entry.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm
Feels like we've absolutely dominated in parts, not scored and they go up the other end and score on first entry.
Forward setup and delivery is not great.

Doesnt help when Stringer and Joe have the kicking yipps.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Disillusioned.

Already there. Going to be fun watching us lose by 15 goals.

What do you think about that article in the Roar now? :lol:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 pm
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Disillusioned.

Haven't changed my opinion.

It was pure garbage, like 95% of articles on that site.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Say what you like about Time on Ground, Better for the Run, Has missed a Fair Bit of Footy. Etc etc

We have played 2 entirely unimpressive pre season matches. Players who need to be making early season statements have been largely unseen. Sadly, it’s the same names that continue to tease. The game plan looks awful and Woosha has clearly not learned the lessons of the first half of last season. Kamikaze handballs or chip kicks to players under pressure. If that doesn’t work, long bombs to packs in he F50. At one stage in the third qtr we had managed only one mark in our F50!

I have to believe he has deliberately said to the players to not show our hand too early and they will come out with a far better game style in R1......pressure and numbers at the ball, fast transitions to players on the move, effective spread running away from the contested ball, lowering the eyes and pin point passes to the leading forward. The slingshot style of play we seem to favor is simply not enough and exposes us horribly to turnovers

Preseason Pass

Shiel, McGrath, Francis, Stringer, Tippungwuti, Ridley, Smith

Preseason Concern

Zaharakis, Baguely, Parish, Langford, McKenna

Excused due to Interupted Preseason

Bellchambers, Merrett, Fantasia, Daniher

The rest are just ok

Preseason Rating. 4/10

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 pm
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Disillusioned.

Haven't changed my opinion.

It was pure garbage, like 95% of articles on that site.
I think our club is going to prove him right

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Preseason Pass

Shiel, McGrath, Francis, Stringer, Tippungwuti, Ridley, Smith

Preseason Concern

Zaharakis, Baguely, Parish, Langford, McKenna

Excused due to Interupted Preseason

Bellchambers, Merrett, Fantasia, Daniher

The rest are just ok

Preseason Rating. 4/10
Gee, you're a generous marker Windy ...

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:10 pm

I`m wondering how long it`ll be before the sack Worsfold faction get back into the action?...and after a performance like that who can blame them?.

A very inept performance, our skills by foot and hand were abysmal. Not quite sure who the f*** we can beat if we dish up that standard of footy. :evil:

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm

Went to the game as I am living down at Point Lonsdale for a year. Saw the Rezzies really touch up Geelong and were just playing with them, especially at the end and especially Smack!!

Then the Ones hit the field, and by comparison to Geelong, they looked like a bunch of midgets apart from JD. No height on the forward line, no height on the backline, (Hooker badly missed already) and we got outplayed at our own game and could not buy a mark in the forward 50.

I reckon Mitch Brown has been teasing us. He is a good mark one out and a great kick, but as soon as the ball hits the deck, he is next to useless. Stringer tried his heart out and Joe is still some games away but showed a bit and a great mark (1 point!!!)

Impressed with Shiel. TB and Merret needed the run and I though Smith was a bit quiet. Langford is one paced and even with TB, Merret, Heppell Smith and Shiel, we still got touched up out of the centre.

The Kamikaze game broke down too often and when we got a player loose, there was no one down forward who could pull in a good mark. Most goals were kicked on the run. Tippa got a couple of gems.

My biggest concern now is that we get off to another shithouse start and come good again when it is all over. Even if it means dropping some of the fancy stuff, let's play a little more percentage footy rather than constantly putting teammates under pressure for no apparent gain.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 am

rockhole wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm

The Kamikaze game broke down too often and when we got a player loose, there was no one down forward who could pull in a good mark. Most goals were kicked on the run. Tippa got a couple of gems.

My biggest concern now is that we get off to another shithouse start and come good again when it is all over. Even if it means dropping some of the fancy stuff, let's play a little more percentage footy rather than constantly putting teammates under pressure for no apparent gain.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The writing is on the wall by the sounds of it. THIS - if we want any hope of playing finals in 2019! Hopefully we can fix some of these serious deficiencies in October. Meanwhile, percentage football is our only chance in 2019 and a tight and clever game plan with clear penalties for those who dont stick to it and rewards for those who do.
For instance, Langford can't be left where he is till he finds his feet all over again. We made that mistake in the first half last year and it was agonising!

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 am

Well, that was rubbish.
But it's only JLT!!!.....so, in response to the loonies on social media......
Why would we be experimenting now, instead of practising our actual 2019 game plan?
And, the same applies to other clubs, so if they're just mucking about, why are they killing us?
And how come their "kids" look so competent, but there's nothing special about ours?
Oh, so other clubs are happy to risk injuries to their stars?
But Dangerfield and Ablett spent the entire last quarter on their bench.
We're hiding our game plan? Yeah, sure, we wouldn't want to actually practice it...in a practice match....would we? Besides - hiding it from whom? The only teams interested in our game plan so far are GWS and whoever we play in Round 2. The teams after that will be scouting us in the first 2 rounds anyway. So we'll potentially "surprise everyone" for maybe 2 rounds at best by hiding our game plan.
What game plan? I didn't see one.
We're still "gelling as a team" - Honestly? About the only new player in the 22 is Shield. If the pre-requisite for success is that the whole team have played together for a whole season then we're doomed forever. (just by the way - did anyone else notice how often Shield put himself in the open in a good position but was ignored?)

Probably forgotten half the stupid and ignorant and hypocritical comments on social media tonight, but I think the above addresses most of it.

As much as I love pointing out how stupid others are, my main point is really this......
From the 2 JLT matches, apart from some good individual performances, I really struggled to see where we'd improved from 2018. Skills still poor. Defensive actions still poor. Still not a functional forward line. Still no apparent game plan except when able to burst from half-back.

I'm not writing us off, just saying that based on evidence so far we don't look like a contender. So far as to say we'd be lucky to even make the 8 if that's how we're going to play. On a brighter note - if we even play the whole 2019 season like the last half of 2018 we'll do better than JLT form has indicated. Fingers crossed.

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am

Agreed with all of that Nudder
Who the hell is desperately waiting to see our game plan exactly??? It's been nothing but non existent shite for years.... No Clubs are waiting to see Jack from us....