Interesting Stat

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Interesting Stat

Post by DYSON#2 »

Theres been a fair bit of hype after first 2 rounds that some of the on-field success is due to increased pressure, ie; tackles

Might be suprising for some that in 2006 we average 62.1 tackles per game and after 2 rounds in 2007 we only average 40!

We must be picking the right ones to tackle this year

read into that stat as much as you like but from the sounds of it we can still improve in that area
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

good point but yeah i think our tackles this year are coming at better times and are more effective, creating more pressure on the opposition, leading to EFC clearances
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This is where pure figures can be misleading. How many of those tackles last year resulted in a turnover? How many of those tackles were infringements? The other thing that needs to be considered.......how often was the ball in the opposition hands last year?
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

I just think most of our tackles are coming in our forward line which has been creating pressure for the opposing sides. But last year i think we were chasing tail through the midfield and backline.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Rusty1978 wrote:I just think most of our tackles are coming in our forward line which has been creating pressure for the opposing sides. But last year i think we were chasing tail through the midfield and backline.
They're my sentiments too. Davey was the leading tackler yesterday with 9, and i think he was also the leading tackler in round 1. The fact we're laying tackles in our forward line is the biggest difference this year.

But still, an interesting statistic none the less. We certainly outbustled Freo yesterday and we nearly doubled their tackle count - that doesn't do anything for Freo's reputation as a bunch of fair weather sooks who like to play uncontested footy.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Rusty1978 wrote:I just think most of our tackles are coming in our forward line which has been creating pressure for the opposing sides. But last year i think we were chasing tail through the midfield and backline.
I reckon you hit the nail on the head right there. Where are the tackles coming from? If we keep the ball in our forward line we won't be tackling as much and we'll be kicking bigger scores as a result. If we have the ball more than the opposition, we won't be tackling them.

BD also made a good point about how many tackles last season were infringements... and I'm betting you'd find that a good portion would have resulted in frees against us. The difference this season has been (so far) the frees have been coming our way as holding the ball decisions.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Interesting Stat

Post by tonysoprano »

DYSON#2 wrote:Theres been a fair bit of hype after first 2 rounds that some of the on-field success is due to increased pressure, ie; tackles

Might be suprising for some that in 2006 we average 62.1 tackles per game and after 2 rounds in 2007 we only average 40!

We must be picking the right ones to tackle this year

read into that stat as much as you like but from the sounds of it we can still improve in that area
I find this really hard to believe. Where did this stat come from? Must be a typo.

Last year we were dreadful at tackling. Firstly we rarely manned-up - so we we rarely got to tackle. When we did attempt to tackle it was often easily broken - hardly ever impeded the opposition from disposing of the ball.

If the numbers are right - there really should be some way to distinguish the "effective" from "ineffective" tackles. This year has been great - last year - no matter how many there might have been - our tackling was aweful.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It just goes to show that quality and not quantity is better!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

The difference was last year we were chasing backsides for hours each game. We are having to tackle slightly less because we have the ball more.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Gossy wrote a piece on tackling i think before the season started. I think they might have listened!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

I think those stats are wrong. Just checked each game & we fell between 36-52 for all games bar the StK game where we had 76 tackles.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/2006.html
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

cant remember the site i got it from.. it was a stats site... i dont think it was a typo either... i added up all the tackles from each game and divided by how many games we have played. twice
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

Royza wrote:I think those stats are wrong. Just checked each game & we fell between 36-52 for all games bar the StK game where we had 76 tackles.

you might find that site has errors aswell... it listed alwyn davey as only 1 tackle in his first game.. he made at least 4-5
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

What determines a tackle?

A player putting another player on the ground, or just grabbing his jumper?

Maybe different stats people interpret a tackle in different ways.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

DYSON#2 wrote:
Royza wrote:I think those stats are wrong. Just checked each game & we fell between 36-52 for all games bar the StK game where we had 76 tackles.

you might find that site has errors aswell... it listed alwyn davey as only 1 tackle in his first game.. he made at least 4-5
This site: http://www.footywire.com/ has some good stats & also had Davey credited for 1 tackle in Rnd 1. Sounds like it could be a matter of interpretation.

The high-low rankings are interesting: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-essendon-bombers

It also says we were ranked 15th in tackles last yr at 44.9 avg & are currently ranked 13th this yr at 41.5 avg.

We'd definitely be up on tackling in our forward 50.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Yeh I doubt very very much we averaged over 60 tackles last year, we were horrid at tackling and it was frustrating to the point where they more interested in watching than chasing.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Like ozzie said, maybe we have had more of the ball this year?

Our tackles are stronger this year, we are pinning the arms, not just grabbing the jumper.

And also, we played Sydney last year, so teh tackle counts would have been high, simply due to the style of the game.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Gossy7 wrote:What determines a tackle?

A player putting another player on the ground, or just grabbing his jumper?

Maybe different stats people interpret a tackle in different ways.
I think this is the most relevant point. This year we have been wrapping our arms around the waste of opponents and often pinning their arms too - also dropping the knees when we get a grip so that opp have to carry the full weight of the tackler
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

Filthy wrote:
Ossie wrote:The difference was last year we were chasing backsides for hours each game. We are having to tackle slightly less because we have the ball more.
What he said :wink:
Yeah, what he said. Less chasing=Less tackling. More ball=Less tackling
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Ossie wrote:The difference was last year we were chasing backsides for hours each game. We are having to tackle slightly less because we have the ball more.
I agree. :)

Other teams will be trying to tackle us more this year at this rate.