Over it...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Post Reply
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6919
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Over it...

Post by Crazyman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 pm

f*** it, I’m sick of the hype and false dawns this club keeps giving us.

We are the new St Kilda.

Every year it’s the same shit. Got talent, going to do xyz....but every year we lose to f****** shit teams and get our arses handed to us when it matters.

Sure, we put up a few good performances every year, show glimpses, deliver on what should be, but every year it’s fleeting, and too little to late, or fade out.

Premierships are won by teams that have 2 main qualities:
1. Hardness - at the ball and in a contest
2. Ability to hit targets, finding teammates in better positions and kicking to advantage

I am fed up with the tease that is EFC post 2003
I am fed up with the hype and bullshit
I am fed up with players getting games when clearly not deserving

It’s time the coaches, players and rest of the club gave a shit, pulled thier heads out of thier arses and actually delivered something worth going to the footy for...

Beat the f****** Scum, win an Anzac Day game, be competitive against other teams when it counts and go the f****** distance in every game rather fading in and out every 10 minutes...

Here endeth thine rant 🤪

nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by nudder12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:53 pm

It'll be right mate. Only JLT. As long as we don't get any injuries is the important thing. Just getting some miles in their legs. Don't wanna show everyone our game plan yet. Just experimenting with different things. Most of our best players were out or only played 50 minutes. Last year Freo beat West Coast by somewhere between 40 & 90 points, but look where they both ended up! Maybe you'd be better barracking for Carlton if ya can't love and support our Bombers. I've got red and black blood in me veins mate!

Well, apparently that's the appropriate reply to your comment judging by social media I saw over the last 24 hours.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11811
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 am

I agree with Crazy

We, the fans, deserve a preseason full of menace and threat. I don't buy into the convenient excuse that its only practice matches and we aren't really trying and our players are getting miles into their legs and we are being careful not to reveal our game plan.

Our players looked flat, disinterested and couldn't kick straight if they wanted to. Our younger players who need to fight for a place on the team during the practice matches looked like they didn't care and must think selection is their birthright.

Keeping the game plan secret - hahaha. Rubbish. And why would you - after R1 its out there for everyone to see.

I am sure Geelong and Carlton were probably getting miles into their player's legs as well and keeping coy about their game plan and guess what, they won playing solid 4 qtr football - we didn't

Winning form is Good Form. We now go into a challenging R1 away game to GWS - a thumping there could really hurt our season before it gets going.

No, no more too cute. This team has to practice mauling there opponents so that it becomes second nature. In 2000, we came out and won the Pre Season Cup - a statement of intent after the disappointment of the 99 Prelim loss. That was a team that was ready to tear apart any team it faced no matter the occasion.

Well I am here to tell you that Essendon has been the least successful club in the competition since 2004. (excusing Gold Coast)

We are entering the 19th year since we last won a flag and will break our longest ever drought if we dont win this year. I think its about time this club stopped treating us all like f****** fools and stood up to be counted

We blew a great opportunity in the JLT to make teams fear us again. Now we just look like a Matthew Knights team - crazy play on handballs and Kamikaze, bruise free rubbish

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7809
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by grassy1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:23 am

Reckon Smokin’ Joe Misiti Alone,had more talent on his old tum,than half the current squad put together.

We had the sheer talent in 2000,compared to what we have at our disposal now.

We can all have high hopes now,about what Worsfold and the boys do,but our expectations should be nowhere near it,with no disrespect.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25182
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:35 am

HAHAHAHA it looks like I’ve hacked your accounts and posted this stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Naturally, I concur.

Like I said before, if you’re not practising to win, then you’re practising to fail. It has got me f***** how we have been at our “new” high performance centre for 5 or so years, but cannot get basic skills right. Haha lol GAGF.

When Sheeds came to the club (pre-season in 1980), he threatened to shake the place up. Get serious, or get lost. The training was brutal, and they approached picking teams at full strength and going full bore. After a hiccup at the start of 1981, we went onto winning 16 straight matches. We also won the night flag in the mid-week night competition with a full strength team going at it hard. We know what happened thereafter...

Here we are almost 40 years later...taking it a bit easy in the JLT...let’s not show our hand...getting the chemistry right...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7809
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by grassy1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:06 pm

I know I mentioned it before,but Sheeds was Ruthless when was guest Coach of Reigning Premiers Perth,in the middle of ‘77.

Don’t know if he ended up darn near killing half the squad,or they wanted to kill him.But they ended up Killing Old Easts twice in the Finals to Win our Last League Flag.

User avatar
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:16 pm

While I mostly agree with the sentiments here, I like to win everything we do but in reality who remembers the pre season games anyway. However this year is surely a make or break year for guys such as Baguley, Myers & Zaka who have been a big part of this current 15 years of mediocrity. Guys like Hooker & Hurley have consistently excelled whereas the other 3 have only shown patches of form.

We have a mostly young group & they must have examples of tough hard, relentless football from the senior guys. Keep in mind we are the third least experienced team & the only club without a 200 game player.

Personally I have been around this club for over 50 years & seen The Bombers win 6 premierships, the first as a 10 year old in 1962. The thing that stands out in those premierships is their toughness at the ball & the player with the ball. They had tough uncompromising coaches in Coleman & Sheedy with players like 'Bluey" Shelton & Don McKenzie in the 60's, Merrett, T Daniher, Harvey, Wallis under Sheeds. Not very nice guys on the field but made others stand tall. If the current team play like their coach, who played "unsociable" football, i'm sure success will come more readily. I recently read with interest where Sheedy told Matthew LLoyd to play harder, crash packs & he would wear the occasion report. Lloyd stated Joe Daniher has to start to play like this instead of being the all round smiling "Mr.Nice Guy". He has to stop staging for kicks & attack the pack ruthlessly & make his presence felt.

I have seen many pre seasons & it bemuses me with the media already writing off teams & even nominating the rising star before a game has been played. Lets see how things are tracking after 6 -8 games before we make any rash judgments. I have seen many March champions fall by the wayside where you want to be playing your best footy in September.

Having witnessed the mediocre 70's, which was worse than the current mediocrity, we emerged as a force in the early 80's. With this talented young side we should have many years of success with a couple of premierships at least.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25182
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Ronny Rotten wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:16 pm
While I mostly agree with the sentiments here, I like to win everything we do but in reality who remembers the pre season games anyway. However this year is surely a make or break year for guys such as Baguley, Myers & Zaka who have been a big part of this current 15 years of mediocrity. Guys like Hooker & Hurley have consistently excelled whereas the other 3 have only shown patches of form.

We have a mostly young group & they must have examples of tough hard, relentless football from the senior guys. Keep in mind we are the third least experienced team & the only club without a 200 game player.

Personally I have been around this club for over 50 years & seen The Bombers win 6 premierships, the first as a 10 year old in 1962. The thing that stands out in those premierships is their toughness at the ball & the player with the ball. They had tough uncompromising coaches in Coleman & Sheedy with players like 'Bluey" Shelton & Don McKenzie in the 60's, Merrett, T Daniher, Harvey, Wallis under Sheeds. Not very nice guys on the field but made others stand tall. If the current team play like their coach, who played "unsociable" football, i'm sure success will come more readily. I recently read with interest where Sheedy told Matthew LLoyd to play harder, crash packs & he would wear the occasion report. Lloyd stated Joe Daniher has to start to play like this instead of being the all round smiling "Mr.Nice Guy". He has to stop staging for kicks & attack the pack ruthlessly & make his presence felt.

I have seen many pre seasons & it bemuses me with the media already writing off teams & even nominating the rising star before a game has been played. Lets see how things are tracking after 6 -8 games before we make any rash judgments. I have seen many March champions fall by the wayside where you want to be playing your best footy in September.

Having witnessed the mediocre 70's, which was worse than the current mediocrity, we emerged as a force in the early 80's. With this talented young side we should have many years of success with a couple of premierships at least.
I can tell you now, the 70’s has nothing on this current period - statistically or otherwise. It depends where you start the mediocre period from.

I did a comparison - side by side / season by season after the Bombers last Grand Final appearance (1968) through to prior to the next Grand Ginal (1983) compared to after (2001) through to 2015. The figures will surprise you.

http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.ph ... ’s#p281958
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6919
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Over it...

Post by Crazyman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Question Ronnie, who on our list are hard nuts at the moment?

Where is Solly, Barnard , Wellman, Hardwick, J.Johnson, M.Johnson?

Or where are the Van Der Haars, R Merrett, Daniher, T. Watson, Harvey, Bomber?

Yeah, we have a few good tacklers, but aside from Devon, Hurley and Hooker (the latter 2 crashing packs), I can’t think of another player on our list I would classify as a Hard Nut, especially in the mid sized players where you need them...

And to compound matters, ¾ of our team couldn’t hit the side of a barn with thier shit disposals under pressure...(and often not under pressure)...

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11811
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:40 am

Crazyman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Question Ronnie, who on our list are hard nuts at the moment?

Where is Solly, Barnard , Wellman, Hardwick, J.Johnson, M.Johnson?

Or where are the Van Der Haars, R Merrett, Daniher, T. Watson, Harvey, Bomber?

Yeah, we have a few good tacklers, but aside from Devon, Hurley and Hooker (the latter 2 crashing packs), I can’t think of another player on our list I would classify as a Hard Nut, especially in the mid sized players where you need them...

And to compound matters, ¾ of our team couldn’t hit the side of a barn with thier shit disposals under pressure...(and often not under pressure)...
think I made this point somewhere else

Our greatest teams were full of hard nuts

Over and above the names you mentioned - 83/85....Shane Heard, Billy Duckworth, Mark Harvey 99/01 Dean Wallis, Matthew Lloyd, Moorcroft

Hurley, Walla and Stringer would be the two only real enforcers we have in the current side

Rover99
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am

Re: Over it...

Post by Rover99 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 am

Yes to all of the above.
But no I'm not going to barrack for Carlton this year. 'm going to focus on the twos until the firsts either jerk me out of it or they get rid of Woosha. Totally disgusted with what I've seen so far and wondering just how our membership will suffer because of it :How can you have a hard team with a pussy for a coach? evil:

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11811
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Over it...

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 am
Yes to all of the above.
But no I'm not going to barrack for Carlton this year. 'm going to focus on the twos until the firsts either jerk me out of it or they get rid of Woosha. Totally disgusted with what I've seen so far and wondering just how our membership will suffer because of it :How can you have a hard team with a pussy for a coach? evil:
Yeah, how ironic that one of the leagues most feared hard nut’s has put together a team of absolute soft cock millennials. Soy drinking pillow cases. Thank god for Walla, Stringer and Hurley. At least McKenna showed some bloody aggro when he took a bite out of tha asshole last year. Forget the AFL trying to turn the game into volleyball. Run through a few opponents, cop your 2 weeks and then come back and run through a few more.....sick of Boudoir Football....Lacey and feminine, with a dash of cologne.

Post Reply