VFL Essendon 2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: VFL Essendon 2019

Post by BenDoolan » Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm

R8 Essendon v Richmond

ESSENDON 10.7: 67
Richmond 10.10: 70

Goals: M. Baguley 2, I. Mosquito 2, Bowman, H. Hocking, D. Younan, B. Zerk-Thatcher, A. Heppell, B. Ham

Disposals: D. Clarke 26, D. Myers 25, L. McKenna 23, H. Hocking 21

Myers smiling again after a narrow loss. WTF is wrong with that imbecile???? Clear out ya locker and f*** right off.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat May 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Surely Dylan Clarke has to be promoted to the senior team after another huge game.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:25 pm

No apologies necessary Windy.

The so called seniors’ game confirms it.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun May 26, 2019 8:43 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm
R8 Essendon v Richmond

ESSENDON 10.7: 67
Richmond 10.10: 70

Goals: M. Baguley 2, I. Mosquito 2, Bowman, H. Hocking, D. Younan, B. Zerk-Thatcher, A. Heppell, B. Ham

Disposals: D. Clarke 26, D. Myers 25, L. McKenna 23, H. Hocking 21

Myers smiling again after a narrow loss. WTF is wrong with that imbecile???? Clear out ya locker and f*** right off.
Dylan Clarke must get a crack next week! Surely it’s time. Especially with Shiel missing.

Re: Myers...seriously???

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm

R9 Essendon v Northern Blues

ESSENDON 12.12: 84
Norther Blues 6.7: 43

Goals: B. Ham 3, J. Houlahan 2, E. Sibbald 2, D. Myers 2, N. Dixon, A.Heppell, D. Younan.

Disposals: Myers 26, Mynott 24, Snelling 23, Gleeson 22, Zerk-Thatcher 21.

SNELL, SNELL!!!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Goals: B. Ham 3, J. Houlahan 2, E. Sibbald 2, D. Myers 2, N. Dixon, A.Heppell, D. Younan.

SNELL, SNELL!!!
Myers' performances in the VFL over the last two weeks absolutely confirm that this is his level of football. Thanks for your service mate and good luck in the future. A beast in the two's, a pussy in the firsts.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 pm
BenDoolan wrote:

SNELL, SNELL!!!
Myers' performances in the VFL over the last two weeks absolutely confirm that this is his level of football. Thanks for your service mate and good luck in the future. A beast in the two's, a pussy in the firsts.
Makes the Coaching team's decision re leadership group all the more bewildering
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:03 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

SNELL, SNELL!!!
I thought the playing group mainly decided who is in the leadership group?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:33 pm

BenDoolan wrote:

SNELL, SNELL!!!
Jahwol mein Kommandant!!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:03 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

SNELL, SNELL!!!
Not this year - which is why Hooker and Hurley were so pissed at the start of the year.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am

s'dreams wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am
BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

SNELL, SNELL!!!
Not this year - which is why Hooker and Hurley were so pissed at the start of the year.
The ‘structure’ of the leadership group might be down to the coaching panel, but the make-up of that group was largely up to the playing group...
“Feedback from our playing group was overwhelmingly in support of Dyson being named as captain for a third straight year. They feel strongly aligned with his leadership qualities and values and this was consistent throughout this process,” Worsfold said.

“The structure of the leadership group has been streamlined this season, however we have a strong focus on the entire group more broadly to own their personal leadership capacities and compete - week in and week out.”
They went from 7 down to 5 in the leadership group.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am
s'dreams wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am
BenDoolan wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

“Feedback from our playing group was overwhelmingly in support of Dyson being named as captain for a third straight year. They feel strongly aligned with his leadership qualities and values and this was consistent throughout this process,” Worsfold said.

“The structure of the leadership group has been streamlined this season, however we have a strong focus on the entire group more broadly to own their personal leadership capacities and compete - week in and week out.”

They went from 7 down to 5 in the leadership group.

The ‘structure’ of the leadership group might be down to the coaching panel, but the make-up of that group was largely up to the playing group...

I think you will find that the role of the players was a bit oversold and the role of the staff undersold. My understanding is that the players agreed on the reduced leadership group and Heppell as Captain, but management chose the "leaders".
A club spokeswoman said there was no formal team vote to decide the leadership group. Instead, together with a review by the entire group, a December training camp in Barwon Heads had a focus on leadership, culture and team values for 2019. (The Age 23 Jan 2019)
The surprise of some inside the Bombers that accompanied the omissions of Hooker and Hurley stretched directly to the inclusions, particularly that of Daniher, who had rarely displayed obvious AFL-level leadership qualities and had spent the previous nine months in rehabilitation for 2018-season ending osteitis pubis problems. (AFL 28 MArch 2019)
“This was a conscious decision from the captain and the coach largely to have a bit more of a streamlined group this year, to reflect a slight change in the values that the players have decided on,” he said. Ball acknowledged the “initial disappointment” of Hooker and Hurley but said he had no concerns about their attitudes. SMH 30/01/2019
Richardson said the process [of selecting the leadership group] involved the playing group as well as number of key stakeholders.

“It needs to be a very thorough process. In our case, Luke Ball played a significant role, as well as other senior football people including John Worsfold, the coaching staff, Xavier (CEO Xavier Campbell) and myself,” Richardson told SEN 1116.

“It is important to ensure that you are clear on the leadership qualities you want your playing group and club to uphold, and it’s very important to know leadership is not just about the five players with the official title. Everybody must lead at any given point of time.

“A large portion of our process was done at our training camp in Barwon Heads, including feedback sessions with the entire playing group which they then had some time to reflect on over the Christmas break.

“Player development is an important part of leadership and our feedback sessions are designed to ensure that all our players can grow their leadership skills.” EFC Website 24 Jan 2019

In the overall scheme of things, it usually means little. Management has to sign off on the leadership group and it is usually advisable that the players have significant input into its composition to foster inclusion and avoid sulking. My mail is that player input was more toward the minimal end than a vote.

However, Ball, Richardson and Campbell managed to insert a glorious amount of corporate waffle and management fad-fashion into the process and communication of the decision. While it sounds like you know what you are doing, remember that G. W. Bush got an MBA from Harvard.

And I note that three of the leadership group have struggled to make it onto the field this year, which was the concern expressed in the media at the time.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am

Why don’t they just draw them out of a hat?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Putting reputations and current ability to the side. the players that would inspire me as Captain on the field (ecxluding senior players nearing the end of their careers)

Merrett
Guelfi
Fantasia
Redman
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde

Now I know readers of my posts will probably scoff at my suggestion on Laverde given I have targeted him on several occasions for his sub par performances but he does seem to have that certain PRESENCE on the field. I see this in Redman to. I like my Captains to be in the face of the opposition and throwing themselves into packs without a care for their own safety. I put Merrett in for this reason although Merrett still seems to lack that commanding presence.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Merrett & McGrath yes, the rest no.

Stringer would make a good vc
Red man has a lot of Fletch in him...lead by example, not formally take over
Guelfi, I like how he’s going atm, but needs to show he can do that over a much longer period
Fantasia I don’t see skipper in him
Laverde ???????????

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Putting reputations and current ability to the side. the players that would inspire me as Captain on the field (ecxluding senior players nearing the end of their careers)

Merrett
Guelfi
Fantasia
Redman
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde

Now I know readers of my posts will probably scoff at my suggestion on Laverde given I have targeted him on several occasions for his sub par performances but he does seem to have that certain PRESENCE on the field. I see this in Redman to. I like my Captains to be in the face of the opposition and throwing themselves into packs without a care for their own safety. I put Merrett in for this reason although Merrett still seems to lack that commanding presence.
My take...
Merrett - When he learns to break a tag
Guelfi - Really? That is like nominating Reimers as capt.
Fantasia - If you like the idea of a non playing captain
Redman - Well at least you'll get lobsters with that...
McGrath - Possible, but lets get him established in his midfield role first.
Stringer - His Ex might be a bit too much for corporate types.
Laverde - why put the mosh on a player just establishing himself in the team?

Frankly, there seems to be a paucity of leadership options at the club ... possibly related to our recruitment practices (safe, athletic, non-controversial) but I'm sure someone will pop up...

But then again, given the way Heppell has responded to recent criticism, there is hope for the lad yet...

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am

Windy_Hill wrote:

Merrett
Guelfi
Fantasia
Redman
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde

Laverde just needs to concentrate on keeping his body intact. While I sort of get what you mean by him, I think there is another who would make a good skipper. Many will roll their eyes, but I truly believe in this guy, and he has come a long way. I will compare him to someone very similar in the sense of struggling earlier in his career where everyone bagged him for poor body shape, slow mover, and poor disposal skills. He ended up being one of the best captains this club has had - Jobe Watson.

Kyle Langford is very similar to Jobe in many ways. Slow mover, has had his critics (still does), and has to work hard to get the best out of himself. Like Jobe, he has had one on one coaching from Diesel Williams. Like Jobe, he is very good with his hands as an inside middy. He is also a handy forward player when given the chance.

Jobe's first 50 games were a struggle. He ended up being a high quality mid who was good enough to win a Brownlow. Langers is starting to emerge as a quality mid with the added potency of goal kicking. His next 50 games will be exciting to watch. I would not be surprised if he ends up close to captaining the side in 5 - 7 years time.

robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Langford future captain? Barely component enough to get a game. Give old Filthy his crack pipe back ffs.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am
Windy_Hill wrote:

Merrett
Guelfi
Fantasia
Redman
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde

Laverde just needs to concentrate on keeping his body intact. While I sort of get what you mean by him, I think there is another who would make a good skipper. Many will roll their eyes, but I truly believe in this guy, and he has come a long way. I will compare him to someone very similar in the sense of struggling earlier in his career where everyone bagged him for poor body shape, slow mover, and poor disposal skills. He ended up being one of the best captains this club has had - Jobe Watson.

Kyle Langford is very similar to Jobe in many ways. Slow mover, has had his critics (still does), and has to work hard to get the best out of himself. Like Jobe, he has had one on one coaching from Diesel Williams. Like Jobe, he is very good with his hands as an inside middy. He is also a handy forward player when given the chance.

Jobe's first 50 games were a struggle. He ended up being a high quality mid who was good enough to win a Brownlow. Langers is starting to emerge as a quality mid with the added potency of goal kicking. His next 50 games will be exciting to watch. I would not be surprised if he ends up close to captaining the side in 5 - 7 years time.
I needed a laugh, today. Thanks mate.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Gimps wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:17 pm
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 am
Windy_Hill wrote:

Merrett
Guelfi
Fantasia
Redman
McGrath
Stringer
Laverde

I needed a laugh, today. Thanks mate.
Just liked you laughed when I said Conor McKenna would make it? :wink: