Dyson Heppell

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Re: Dyson Heppell

Post by Rover99 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:27 pm
Well, I have seen nothing but good stuff from Jake all season...goes hard into the packs, always trying, gets pumped, pumps up the fans, gets in the face of the opposition, first to jump to the defence of younger guys.

Zachy is a choir boy by comparison

Dyson is a nice guy who parrots the coach
There’s more to captaining than fist pumping and goal celebrations. Like stringing a sentence together.

Love the bloke, and he’s been fantastic for us, but the playing group obviously don’t see him as leadership material.

Dunno about stringing a sentence together but he's good with sign language :D I didn't think Nathan Buckley had much to say in his time. One thing Jake has is a cool head and I'm serious about Heppel's panic-driven decision making. I think he puts himself under a lot of stress and could seriously do with a break for a while.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am

nudder12 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:27 pm
The trouble with Smith or Stringer as Captain - as I see it - is that I don't think they have enough situational awareness of what's happening out on the field as a whole. I think they're too invested in their own games. I'd put Hurley in the same boat.
Not necessarily a bad thing, just not a Captain-type thing.

Re Hurley, I believe Hurley and Stringer are worlds apart, even though they both have the mongrel factor. Heppel in the mids of course, has the ability to rove and give encouragement across the field of play so that would make sense to use him or Merrett or Smith etc. But Jake seems to have something we are missing currently - a cool head, combined with physical domination and usually reliable skills. I'm just thinking that if he were captain for a while at least, (an experiment if you like), he might be better able to tighten up the action in the forward 50, where we currently seem to have no workable plan or structure at all. In other words, I'd like to see him screaming WTF??? at some goat once in a while, seeing our coach absolutely refuses to.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 am

Rover99 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am
I'd like to see him screaming WTF??? at some goat once in a while, seeing our coach absolutely refuses to.
Like Goddard used to?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am
I personally don’t see Merrett as the answer.

Funny as it may sound....I like the idea of The Package donning the skipper’s armband. Got a bit of mongrel about it him.
Why not Merrett? Reckon he’d make an awesome skipper one day. Reminds me of Bomber Thompson in many ways.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:22 am
Rover99 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am
I'd like to see him screaming WTF??? at some goat once in a while, seeing our coach absolutely refuses to.
Like Goddard used to?
Like I said, as there is a difference between Hurley and Stringer, so is there a big difference between Stringer and Goddard. I think the Package would be a lot more relaxed and less snarley but he'd get the message across nonetheless. :D

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 am
I personally don’t see Merrett as the answer.

Funny as it may sound....I like the idea of The Package donning the skipper’s armband. Got a bit of mongrel about it him.
Why not Merrett? Reckon he’d make an awesome skipper one day. Reminds me of Bomber Thompson in many ways.
I dunno. Just looks too much like a kid sometimes ATM. Nothing against him personally.

Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red » Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am

I would be looking at Hooker as Captain - tough, passionate and at the right age.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Western Red wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am
I would be looking at Hooker as Captain - tough, passionate and at the right age.
Well yes. Possibility?

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat May 11, 2019 12:24 am

After tonite - I am firmly in the non-Hepp camp. Laughing like a giggly schoolgirl on a date after Myers missed ... just isn't my idea of captaincy.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat May 11, 2019 12:36 am

s'dreams wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:24 am
After tonite - I am firmly in the non-Hepp camp. Laughing like a giggly schoolgirl on a date after Myers missed ... just isn't my idea of captaincy.
Yep, goneski. Can f*** right off back to Leongatha where he can laugh to his hearts content.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Sat May 11, 2019 1:06 am

There are obvious problems at the club which so far have remained in house except when the players are on the field. One good game and one bad one. There are problems with the players and maybe the coaches/management??? Don't know which or maybe all three. Whatever the problems are, they need to be addressed in house. We the plebs, in all this mess - do not need to know but we do need to see changes made because this club is sliding faster down the ladder than a monkey with a greasy backside.

A very disappointing and unprofessional game tonight. Once again too many passengers in the first half and what a mess it was. Not even half our team turned up to play. Sydney had obviously done their homework on us and methodically ripped us wide open. We went into panic mode stations and some of our kicking and hand skills were the worst we've turned on in ages. Sydney on the bottom of the ladder, systematically ripped our pathetic system to bits. No plan B or plan period, we were outsmarted which wasn't all that difficult, out coached which was even easier and outplayed and made to look second rate which we were/are.

Finals are so far out of our grasp its a joke to even think about when or if. We are NOT even in the race now, to the bottom more likely the way we are playing. Its fairly obviously, we will not play finals and nor do we deserve to. We have a long way to go to get there. A lot of work needs to be done and changes need to be made to even have a snowball's chance in hell of getting close. Sixty eight years I have followed and barracked for this club and as a Member I am feeling completely disillusioned. I am sick of hearing the club's spiel, its crap. We are going nowhere fast.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten » Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:36 am
s'dreams wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:24 am
Yep, goneski. Can f*** right off back to Leongatha where he can laugh to his hearts content.
Looks like Goldilocks & plays like Goldilocks.
Worst disposal in the side & that's saying something - to many turnovers…

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat May 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Heppell tries his guts out. Let’s get off their backs and believe they will find a way.
Regards

MH_Bomber

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat May 11, 2019 2:20 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:13 pm
Heppell tries his guts out. Let’s get off their backs and believe they will find a way.
As long as they act like a man and not a millennial while they do it.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sat May 11, 2019 3:08 pm

*groan*

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat May 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Got no problem with Heppell’s effort. Frankly he has not become the elite player we thought he might become but if I am honest, can’t fault his effort. He is a B grade mid....a solid team man. All clubs need players like Hepp.

But I stand by my belief that he is not a captain to lead this team....perhaps unfairly exemplified by his soft approach to Myers after the game.

Some people have said on this forum why shouldn’t he be captain....there is no tangible measurement for what makes an individual a great leader except when they have it....you see it. It is not learnt, it is not parroted, it is not contrived. It is real and exudes from every pore.

I will never forget James Hird pulling up Cupido at half time over at Fremantle many years ago....grabbing his face and pulling him towards him...then gently but firmly telling the young player what he has to do.

You think Terry Daniher, Selwood, Hodge, Paul Kelly, Voss and Hird

Does Dyson give the same aura of leadership? Not really.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Myersy, maaate, don't worry bout it maaate. You were too far out, on a hidin' t' nuthin'. Woosha won't drop ya either. She's apples.
I'd be happy with that, except maybe the last bit. :lol:

Supportive, blokey, friendly, takes the individual hurt away.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:35 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:13 pm
If his brain could coordinate with his body thats fine. But how many disposals ever go where theyre supposed to go or are effective. Trying your guts out isnt an excuse when youre the skipper. A cool head and skills beats guts any day and for whatever reason, he doesnt seem to have one.Trying way too hard!!

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:45 pm

"Myersy, don't worry about it mate. Even if you'd got there that monkey up the goal post would'a punched it away" :D :D

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 am

And the Chief Clownoff the field would have done it too! :evil: