The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by nudder12 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 am
basically that spud Wallace plagarised my previous post
hahaha - sorry Windy, but I think his words may have been spoken before you posted your thoughts :D

But anyway, the hub of the matter is - is it the coaching, or is it the players?

User avatar
s'dreams
Club Captain
Posts: 3884
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by s'dreams » Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.
Rumor I am hearing is that Parish is being aggressively courted by a club that rhymes the word park with dark in their theme song. He remains unsigned with us.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

nudder12
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by nudder12 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 am

s'dreams wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.
Rumor I am hearing is that Parish is being aggressively courted by a club that rhymes the word park with dark in their theme song. He remains unsigned with us.
So the rumour goes.
But he'd be crazy to leave us. Our age profile looks good for being a serious contender in the next few years. Don't know the same can be said for Geelong.

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11876
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 am
s'dreams wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.
Rumor I am hearing is that Parish is being aggressively courted by a club that rhymes the word park with dark in their theme song. He remains unsigned with us.
So the rumour goes.
But he'd be crazy to leave us. Our age profile looks good for being a serious contender in the next few years. Don't know the same can be said for Geelong.

Not sure about Darcy but I have to admit his game last week was really promising. I guess the kid has to make up his mind but a first round draft pick is the minimum if he is to move on. I hope he doesn't unless of course that first round pick can get us a must have type player.

User avatar
robbie67
Essendon Legend
Posts: 16080
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by robbie67 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm
robbie67 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 am
Well, there are a lot of ifs, but...

If Joe Daniher wasn’t ruined by dopey medicos, he could be up there winning the Coleman. 65 goals in 2017, AA, Crichton Medallist. He can play. Except, the club can’t make him play.

Orazio Fantasia is a gun...when he’s not constantly sitting on the sidelines with the same issue that has plagued him for 3 seasons.

Dev Smith had obvious issues with his knee. His season has been stifled because of it. They keep playing him until his knee is totally buggered. Another one done. Last year’s Crichton Medallist. He can play.

Jake Stringer is having a good season. Now cooked. He can play the game. He’s a premiership player, who has been excellent since joining us.

I could keep going. But if we had all these guys available, we would be right up there. Only things that are holding is back are fitness team and dull coaching.

Belief. Faith. Honour. Trust.
Joe Daniher when not physically injured is a mental cripple who struggles to kick straight from 20 meters out. Like so many on our list, has had one good year.

Fantasia is a very good player, who with the role he performs I would be a complementary player to an already very good side. Completely wasted with our junk.

Devon Smith has his best year last year, but let’s rememver, could barely get a game at a good team, and then comes straight in and wins our B&F.

Stringer like Fantasia, needs good players around him. Another waste.

Give me your next group Windy, I’ll tear that lot apart as well.
Ok, bear with me.

Firstly, Joe Dan had his best year aged 23. He should be entering his prime right now. He’s being robbed of that with this persistent knackery. I think, in general, he has improved his goal kicking from when he first started. Most do as they get older - Buddy, Josh Kennedy with his stuttered run up etc. Joe is quality and he’ll only get better (when 100% fit).

Secondly, we have other up and comers like Andy McGrath who is coming along nicely as a midfielder. He’s only 20, and I reckon by the age of 23 he’ll be one of the best midfielders in the comp.

Zach Merrett is 23 and he’s a gun. Quality. Gets high possessions at high efficiency. Once he starts hitting the scoreboard more often, he’ll be A grade - if he isn’t already.

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

Dylan Shiel is quality. Just needs to sharpen his goal kicking and he’s elite.

Young kids in Jordan Ridley (20) and Mason Redman (21) have talent to burn. They are fine players already.

Francis (21) can be anything. He’s currently out of position due to so many forwards in the medical rooms, but he will be an excellent defender.

McKenna (23) and Saad (24) are terrific slingshots I’m defence. They are about to enter their peak.

Langford (22) and injury prone Laverde (23) will only get better with more games.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.
Let’s leave Joe aside then.

McGrath? A number 1 pick would want to be a very good mid-fielder at the very least by the time he is 23. He has stagnated a little though. I don’t k ow if you watch much other footy, some of your opinions would suggest you don’t, but McLuggage has gone straight past him. He has become a highly influential player in a team that’s comfortably in the top 8.

Merrett is a very good player, but that’s it, he’s not Cripps, Dusty, Danger, Fyfe etc. Every club in the league has a player as good as Merrett.

Parish is only a 50/50 chance of becoming a quality player. He was good the other night because he just threw it on the boot whenever he got it which suited the conditions, when he had to actually think that’s when the issues begin. Poor decision maker, and suspect disposal. Fits right in.

Jury is out on Shiel. He could be the superstar we need, or he could quickly grow tired of being surrounded by junk. The other senior players don’t seem to have much in the way of standards, he’d have to change the culture, not be a part of the current one.

Ridley and Redman have the same talent level as most young blokes at most clubs, recent history would suggest they’ll be disappointing, at the most one of the two will become a good player.

No argument from me on Saad, he’s the most reliable player we have. McKenna less so. Another poor decision maker who gets to use the excuse that his Irish so everyone just excepts it. Don’t think he is great coping with high pressure football.

Langford and Laverde? Now you’re believing in Unicorns. Is that you Filthy? Langford has one good game and is shithouse for 8, Laverde won’t be on a list in 2021.

If you think this is the basis to challenge fora top 4 spot, considering the absolute junk our older players are (hows our ruck stocks?) you’re more deluded than the coach.

User avatar
robbie67
Essendon Legend
Posts: 16080
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by robbie67 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:43 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 am
s'dreams wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:21 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.
Rumor I am hearing is that Parish is being aggressively courted by a club that rhymes the word park with dark in their theme song. He remains unsigned with us.
So the rumour goes.
But he'd be crazy to leave us. Our age profile looks good for being a serious contender in the next few years. Don't know the same can be said for Geelong.
The only reason he’d be crazy to leave us is that he’s guaranteed to be a 200 game average player in a below average team if he stays. He wouldn’t get a game in the current Geelong side.

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11876
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm

robbie67 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm
robbie67 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 am
Windy Hille wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 am
Well, there are a lot of ifs, but...

If Joe Daniher wasn’t ruined by dopey medicos, he could be up there winning the Coleman. 65 goals in 2017, AA, Crichton Medallist. He can play. Except, the club can’t make him play.

Orazio Fantasia is a gun...when he’s not constantly sitting on the sidelines with the same issue that has plagued him for 3 seasons.

Dev Smith had obvious issues with his knee. His season has been stifled because of it. They keep playing him until his knee is totally buggered. Another one done. Last year’s Crichton Medallist. He can play.

Jake Stringer is having a good season. Now cooked. He can play the game. He’s a premiership player, who has been excellent since joining us.

I could keep going. But if we had all these guys available, we would be right up there. Only things that are holding is back are fitness team and dull coaching.

Belief. Faith. Honour. Trust.
Joe Daniher when not physically injured is a mental cripple who struggles to kick straight from 20 meters out. Like so many on our list, has had one good year.

Fantasia is a very good player, who with the role he performs I would be a complementary player to an already very good side. Completely wasted with our junk.

Devon Smith has his best year last year, but let’s rememver, could barely get a game at a good team, and then comes straight in and wins our B&F.

Stringer like Fantasia, needs good players around him. Another waste.

Give me your next group Windy, I’ll tear that lot apart as well.
Ok, bear with me.

Firstly, Joe Dan had his best year aged 23. He should be entering his prime right now. He’s being robbed of that with this persistent knackery. I think, in general, he has improved his goal kicking from when he first started. Most do as they get older - Buddy, Josh Kennedy with his stuttered run up etc. Joe is quality and he’ll only get better (when 100% fit).

Secondly, we have other up and comers like Andy McGrath who is coming along nicely as a midfielder. He’s only 20, and I reckon by the age of 23 he’ll be one of the best midfielders in the comp.

Zach Merrett is 23 and he’s a gun. Quality. Gets high possessions at high efficiency. Once he starts hitting the scoreboard more often, he’ll be A grade - if he isn’t already.

Darcy Parish is 21. Having a break out season in my view. Emerging as a very good midfielder. Age is on their side when it comes to DP, ZM and Andy Mac.

Dylan Shiel is quality. Just needs to sharpen his goal kicking and he’s elite.

Young kids in Jordan Ridley (20) and Mason Redman (21) have talent to burn. They are fine players already.

Francis (21) can be anything. He’s currently out of position due to so many forwards in the medical rooms, but he will be an excellent defender.

McKenna (23) and Saad (24) are terrific slingshots I’m defence. They are about to enter their peak.

Langford (22) and injury prone Laverde (23) will only get better with more games.

There is a lot of talented youth on the list and most of them will become terrific players...if they have good programs around them to allow them to reach their potential. I say that area is lacking.


McGrath? A number 1 pick would want to be a very good mid-fielder at the very least by the time he is 23. He has stagnated a little though. I don’t k ow if you watch much other footy, some of your opinions would suggest you don’t, but McLuggage has gone straight past him. He has become a highly influential player in a team that’s comfortably in the top 8.


Good point re McCluggage - watched a couple of Brisbane games this year and he looks class - dare I say a young Simon Black

Still have hope for McGrath but if past history is anything to go by, we will fail as a club to develop his talents.

User avatar
Windy Hille
High Draft Pick
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: The fitness staff, the coach, the saga, the vibe, Brexit blah blah blah

Post by Windy Hille » Thu May 30, 2019 3:47 pm

robbie67 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm
Let’s leave Joe aside then.

McGrath? A number 1 pick would want to be a very good mid-fielder at the very least by the time he is 23. He has stagnated a little though. I don’t k ow if you watch much other footy, some of your opinions would suggest you don’t, but McLuggage has gone straight past him. He has become a highly influential player in a team that’s comfortably in the top 8.

Merrett is a very good player, but that’s it, he’s not Cripps, Dusty, Danger, Fyfe etc. Every club in the league has a player as good as Merrett.

Parish is only a 50/50 chance of becoming a quality player. He was good the other night because he just threw it on the boot whenever he got it which suited the conditions, when he had to actually think that’s when the issues begin. Poor decision maker, and suspect disposal. Fits right in.

Jury is out on Shiel. He could be the superstar we need, or he could quickly grow tired of being surrounded by junk. The other senior players don’t seem to have much in the way of standards, he’d have to change the culture, not be a part of the current one.

Ridley and Redman have the same talent level as most young blokes at most clubs, recent history would suggest they’ll be disappointing, at the most one of the two will become a good player.

No argument from me on Saad, he’s the most reliable player we have. McKenna less so. Another poor decision maker who gets to use the excuse that his Irish so everyone just excepts it. Don’t think he is great coping with high pressure football.

Langford and Laverde? Now you’re believing in Unicorns. Is that you Filthy? Langford has one good game and is shithouse for 8, Laverde won’t be on a list in 2021.

If you think this is the basis to challenge fora top 4 spot, considering the absolute junk our older players are (hows our ruck stocks?) you’re more deluded than the coach.
Wether McCluggage is ahead of McGrath at the. Moment is immaterial. Both are going to be top line players for their respective clubs. It’s debatable as to who is performing better in their first 50 games. Andy Mac has a rising star award - so that counts him ahead of McCluggage in the first year. As for the rest, well, there’s hardly anything between them as far as stats go. McCluggage ahead on goals because he spends more time up forward than Pigeon, who spent more time in defence.

Before Shiel gets tired of being surrounded by junk, he just needs to be better than Zach Merrett - which I think he ain’t. If anyone should be aggrieved about not getting much help in the middle, it’s Zachy. And he’s continued to be the class player he is.

I never said we’ll be top 4, or even made a prediction where we’ll be. But with regard to Langers and Laverde, the’re probably 3rd tier players who can be the difference between the best sides and good sides. I always think the main difference between the successful teams is how good the bottom 10 players of your list are rather than the top 10 players (if that makes sense).

Post Reply