Coaching Dominoes about to Fall

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Coaching Dominoes about to Fall

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue May 28, 2019 7:03 pm

With Scott moving on from North and Bolton dead man walking at Carlton, pressure is now on for other clubs with tenuous coaching positions. Do we sit back and let Carlton and North have first crack at the best possible coaching candidates? What if Clarkson was open to a move at the end of the season? What if Carracella is the new Messiah?

Xavier Campbell has to be very clear in what he wants for this club. Our season is pretty much gone...a remote chance of scraping into the finals but in all likelihood this won’t happen with our form and injury toll.

If there is a golden boy coach out there do we want to sit by idly and end up only sacking Worsfold at the end of the year by which time maybe the horse has bolted?

If he isn’t already, Campbell has to be feeling out the interest from possible coaches. I would get an in principle agreement from the best candidate, sack Worsfold, Harvey, Skipworth (Rutten will probably have to stay) and then bring in a caretaker coach for the rest of he year. New guy has time to assess the list and be ready for the trading and drafting season.

Something has to happen now!

stryper
High Draft Pick

Re: Coaching Dominoes about to Fall

Post by stryper » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 pm

HIRDY

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:03 pm
With Scott moving on from North and Bolton dead man walking at Carlton, pressure is now on for other clubs with tenuous coaching positions. Do we sit back and let Carlton and North have first crack at the best possible coaching candidates? What if Clarkson was open to a move at the end of the season? What if Carracella is the new Messiah?

Xavier Campbell has to be very clear in what he wants for this club. Our season is pretty much gone...a remote chance of scraping into the finals but in all likelihood this won’t happen with our form and injury toll.

If there is a golden boy coach out there do we want to sit by idly and end up only sacking Worsfold at the end of the year by which time maybe the horse has bolted?

If he isn’t already, Campbell has to be feeling out the interest from possible coaches. I would get an in principle agreement from the best candidate, sack Worsfold, Harvey, Skipworth (Rutten will probably have to stay) and then bring in a caretaker coach for the rest of he year. New guy has time to assess the list and be ready for the trading and drafting season.

Well said. Totally agree. Just lose him right now and make do with temporary till the end of the season if necessary. We definitely can't do any worse and it will reinforce just how serious we are about making coaches accountable

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:32 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:03 pm

I'll presume you've seen Woosha's presser earlier today.
I was happy that he was more expansive than usual.
And I found myself understanding a lot of what he said.
And, when you think of the age of a lot of our list, we do have a couple of years to develop them into a serious contender. Heck, if they could get it together they could contend now.
Look at it this way....
We have Woosha who has given us glimpses of the possibilities. Or....you can take a chance on an unproven "golden boy coach" that may turn out to be rubbish.
Rather take my chances with the devil I know at this stage.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 am

Unproven?

Not Ross Lyon,surely? :-&

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 am

Woosha achieved success at West Coast with a team so stacked full of talent they were undeniable.

We don't have that talent, but 2018 was sold to us as the year that we only had to add an good inside extractor and we were serious contenders... remember we traded away our 2018 and 2019 first round draft picks on that promise.

The disappointment hurts more because we not only bought in, but that the team is unable to show more than glimpses of the dream.

I do not buy the notion that the coach as only had 1 1/2 years to deliver. The majority of the current team was not stood down in 2016. Coaches and teams manage to integrate new players into the list (which was the 2018 excuse).

I do not see how our coaches' game plan, lack of strategic thinking (eg no tagging which kills us), failure to adapt mid-game, very conservative selection, mismanagement of injured players and refusal to acknowledge failures ... will lead us out of the wilderness.

Whether the fault lies completely with the coach I don't know ... but it is the coach's responsibility for all aspects of player preparation, recruitment priorities,

I know what we have with our current coach, and I do not think it will change.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 am
Woosha achieved success at West Coast with a team so stacked full of talent they were undeniable.

The disappointment hurts more because we not only bought in, but that the team is unable to show more than glimpses of the dream.

I do not buy the notion that the coach as only had 1 1/2 years to deliver. The majority of the current team was not stood down in 2016. Coaches and teams manage to integrate new players into the list (which was the 2018 excuse).

I do not see how our coaches' game plan, lack of strategic thinking (eg no tagging which kills us), failure to adapt mid-game, very conservative selection, mismanagement of injured players and refusal to acknowledge failures ... will lead us out of the wilderness.

Whether the fault lies completely with the coach I don't know ... but it is the coach's responsibility for all aspects of player preparation, recruitment priorities,

I know what we have with our current coach, and I do not think it will change.
Nudder I think it's his response or lack thereof when we go down to ordinary teams that unsettles us. He always states the obvious - "we need to do more of this, or more of that, or we weren't clearing the ball quickly enough, or tackling hard enough, or our kicking was off etc." It's been going on like a recording, ever since he came here. Then when exactly the same thing happens next week, it makes us think that this highly paid and experienced individual really isn't able to change anything from one week to the next so why is he still there? Sure, Sheeds was bloody frustrating with his favourites towards the end but at least he had some passion. So to my mind, the revitalisation of this club has to start with a passionate coach who can at least changes tactics to suit, reward effort, punish lack of effort and show us that what was wrong last week, ain't happpening this week. .

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

I think there is a lot that Woosha brings to the table - I also think there is a lot that he doesn't

His comments about 2016/17 being extraordinary and therefore should not be considered in judging his performance is actually disingenuous. We played our best footy in those two years under different degrees of instability. In 2016 we were fielding a makeshift team year played competitively and with a great deal of heart on most occasions. We unearthed some real talent in Walla, Fantasia and Merrett. In 2017 with the banned players back we actually made the finals. So why is he disregarding these two achievements. Its actually been the last season and a half where instead of building upon the efforts of 16/17 we have actually gone backwards.

My other concern with Woosha is his touchy/feely approach to man management - all of this feelgood gibberish they come out with does not sound like a fearful football club. Team selection has been a constant WTF with Woosha. He does not develop young players well at all and persists with under performing senior players. Now dont give me any of this crap about looking after the Supplements Affected players. If they are not up to the mark they shouldn't be in the team.

We are constantly allowing new draftees to wallow in the reserves for too long. yes they need time but they also need encouragement in the way of selection. Let's hope that Dylan Clarke, Braydon Ham, Zerk-Thatcher, Mynot, Mutch and Mozzie all get some game time before the season is out.

My final comment on Woosha is speculation only and I am happy to be proven wrong. I wonder if he is a good communicator with the players. His press conferences do him no justice with his tenancy to talk in riddles and gloss over pertinent points. Is he clearly getting through to the squad. Their lack of game day cohesion suggests something is not right.

I have nothing personally against the guy - of course not. And I do hope he can find the ON switch before the season is out. But I seriously think our chances of flag success under Woosha are limited. I will be the first to write to the man and apologise if I am proven wrong

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:24 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm
I think there is a lot that Woosha brings to the table - I also think there is a lot that he doesn't

His comments about 2016/17 being extraordinary and therefore should not be considered in judging his performance is actually disingenuous. We played our best footy in those two years under different degrees of instability. In 2016 we were fielding a makeshift team year played competitively and with a great deal of heart on most occasions. We unearthed some real talent in Walla, Fantasia and Merrett. In 2017 with the banned players back we actually made the finals. So why is he disregarding these two achievements. Its actually been the last season and a half where instead of building upon the efforts of 16/17 we have actually gone backwards.

My other concern with Woosha is his touchy/feely approach to man management - all of this feelgood gibberish they come out with does not sound like a fearful football club. Team selection has been a constant WTF with Woosha. He does not develop young players well at all and persists with under performing senior players. Now dont give me any of this crap about looking after the Supplements Affected players. If they are not up to the mark they shouldn't be in the team.

We are constantly allowing new draftees to wallow in the reserves for too long. yes they need time but they also need encouragement in the way of selection. Let's hope that Dylan Clarke, Braydon Ham, Zerk-Thatcher, Mynot, Mutch and Mozzie all get some game time before the season is out.

My final comment on Woosha is speculation only and I am happy to be proven wrong. I wonder if he is a good communicator with the players. His press conferences do him no justice with his tenancy to talk in riddles and gloss over pertinent points. Is he clearly getting through to the squad. Their lack of game day cohesion suggests something is not right.

I have nothing personally against the guy - of course not. And I do hope he can find the ON switch before the season is out. But I seriously think our chances of flag success under Woosha are limited. I will be the first to write to the man and apologise if I am proven wrong
To me he's not a good motivator/communicator and he's got no passion or fire at all. But correct me, worst of all, he doesn't seem to have any real answer to anything bad that happens in a game so it seems hopeless. Where have you ever been stirred by anything he said? And when have the team? To me there's a huge disconnect there. When other teams lose in ridiculous ways you can almost see the fear in their eyes of their post mortem session with the coach. It seems to me that our guys have nothing to fear - so nothing to learn. If one of them did break down in tears, it looks like he'd just get a cuddle.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:58 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:24 am

To me he's not a good motivator/communicator and he's got no passion or fire at all. But correct me, worst of all, he doesn't seem to have any real answer to anything bad that happens in a game so it seems hopeless. Where have you ever been stirred by anything he said? And when have the team? To me there's a huge disconnect there. When other teams lose in ridiculous ways you can almost see the fear in their eyes of their post mortem session with the coach. It seems to me that our guys have nothing to fear - so nothing to learn. If one of them did break down in tears, it looks like he'd just get a cuddle.
I'm not a fan of his press interviews. He really could say a lot more than he does, and give a bit for the fans.
But I'm pretty sure that's not the way he speaks to the players - I mean, really, they would have openly revolted by now if he spoke to them the same way.
I'm not sure that I'm too worried about the lack of game day changes. My guess is that he's just trying to get the players to play through bad patches and keep trying to do what they're meant to be doing. I know that sounds lame, but that would be the best environment to be practicing your game plan.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri May 31, 2019 3:58 am

How long does a bad patch last before it becomes just a normal ordinary poor team?

Its been that way for years and years.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 am

Bad patch?

I am thinking Barnestoneworth United again,courtesy of Michael Palin’s Ripping Yarns episode,The Fan. :roll:

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 am

Isn’t a bad patch when the nicotine effect doesn’t stop your smoking?

Our guys are as fit as and play like smokers with lung cancer that just won’t quit...

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 am

I said bad patch in context of making changes during a game.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Fri May 31, 2019 11:48 am

People applauded Worsfold for making changes last week. I happen to think they were forced due to injuries, regardless, too ****** late as always.

I’m done with him, next please.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 pm

But when you get to the point where you realise a player is never going to get any better , or can never execute the game plan properly, is Woosha up to dealing with that - or can he even see it?

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:13 am

Rhyce's Roos root Richmond!!! Caretaker coach kicks ass!!! What the f*** are we waiting for??? vingertje vingertje vingertje

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 am

Get Lloydy in for the rest of the season. Do you honestly think he'd be any worse?

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 am

If Worsfold did a Buckenara and admitted things had hit Rock Bottom this Sunday,........ :-"

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 am
If Worsfold did a Buckenara and admitted things had hit Rock Bottom this Sunday,........ :-"
Not gonna happen ... even when we just fall over the line Woosha talks us up as if we are world beaters.