R13 Essendon v Hawthorn

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: R13 Essendon v Hawthorn

Post by BenDoolan »

nomolos wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 pm Tom Bellchambers has gone 5 quarters without a kick 👍🏼
Ease the f*** up.

Guess we Better get Zac Clarke in then ](*,)
Or how about we just f*** both the c**** off...

Not a bad idea eh backward Solly?
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Rover99 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 pm
grassy1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm Well,we Won and it’s always satisfying knocking off those Smug Bastards Of Injunction!

Well,at least the ones that got a laugh out of Mitchell’s Smartarse Antics!

3rd Quarter got us there and whilst things got a little hairy late in the game,we got the job done in the end!

Well done fellas!Now,for Wet Toast!
Yeah, not quite sure how we won at times. They were pin point in their disposal while we were still ragged but determined. But we got there and I loved our aggression and intercepts and tackles and the way we used them as a door mat. So Grassy, for your sake and mine, I hope it's BURNT toast next weekend :D :D
Absolutely Rover!Burnt toast,Wet Toast!Whatever they are!Them and Channel Eagle gave me more reasons to HATE ‘EM today,albeit for non Essendon reasons!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Cracking game from Conor McKenna. Loved his little Gaelic kick as he was running out of defence in the 1st quarter. Does anyone know if that counted as a “bounce” during his run? Is it technically a kick?

Adam Saad was brilliant. He is absolutely terrific when getting to contests. His closing speeds are incredible. Oppositions would see (what they think) is a teammate in the clear, but Saad just bursts to that option and creates a contest - and usually ends up with the ball! He has this anazing ability to collect his own spoil and fly away - very similar to the way Wanganeen used to. Saad’s goal was sensational.

Dylan Clarke. Wow, hasn’t he matured. He’s done a good apprenticeship in the VFL. Now he’s got his opportunity again, and he’s looked very good. Fantastic to see. Seriously, such an upgrade on Myers.

Kyle Langford did some excellent things too. Can see what Windy sees in him. That snap goal he kicked from the pocket, I actually yelled out Jobe haha. Good game from him.

Darcy Parish is playing some seriously good footy. It is all starting to emerge for some of these guys. And again, Windy has said it, it’s the period of 50-100 games where players start to show their consistency and worth. Parish, McKenna and Langford have all just recently entered that period.

It’s hard to see where Gleeson is going to fit into the team at the minute. All the defenders are rock solid. Hurley, Hooker, Ambrose, Saad, McKenna and Redman are in excellent form. The talls are fantastic in the air, and the smalls are brilliant on the ground. Skinny Gleeson will have to bide his time.

Tippa worries me a little. Absolutely love the bloke, and always will, but he appears to not be wanting to get involved at times. I wonder if he’s carrying an injury of some sort. We’re used to seeing repeated burst chases from him, but not at the moment. Anyways, we finally won a game without him kicking a goal 8)
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Walla looks to me like he's getting into the wrong positions - too close to the marking contests (or even right in the marking contest!!)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Clarke did very well. O'Meara was ineffective.
Ambrose did very well. Gunston got lucky once or twice but had no real influence.

Both in specific roles.

I think Langford was on Burgoyne for a while too. Burgoyne didn't contribute much either.

AFL website left Saad & Parish out of the bests. #-o
BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Hooker, Heppell, Clarke, McKenna, Hurley

The centre clearances in Q1 were a big problem, Merrett and Shiel weren't getting it done. Luckily it got better.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am Walla looks to me like he's getting into the wrong positions - too close to the marking contests (or even right in the marking contest!!)

Except for 1 Particular Mark.

Which isn’t enough,but boy whatta Mark!
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am Walla looks to me like he's getting into the wrong positions - too close to the marking contests (or even right in the marking contest!!)
Definitely agree! Wake up Woosha! He'll make him Ruck next. :D
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Except for 1 Particular Mark.

Which isn’t enough,but boy whatta Mark!
I worried for him then. Must be made of bloody steel. Nobody saw it coming :D :D :D
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Maybe Stratton should have tried pinching him and see how far he got.

Instead,he pinched Orazio several times and we’ll see what he gets for that and the stomping incident.If someone wants to get in 1st,for a particular nomination for Stratton,be my guest!

Funny how Kennett is quiet as a church mouse here! :roll:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BTW as poor as Belly has been, I thought he was better against the dawks...

Maybe he just needs half a season to start warming up 🙄
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Credit to Windy Hille for sticking tough with Langford...definitely looking more comfortable and importantly confident with being an AFL level footballer. Not in my best 15 but three months ago was not in my best 22.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm Credit to Windy Hille for sticking tough with Langford...definitely looking more comfortable and importantly confident with being an AFL level footballer. Not in my best 15 but three months ago was not in my best 22.
Well, as I kept on saying, let’s see how he goes in the 50-100 game period. If there is no improvement, the. Let’s call it a day. But he’s started this period in good fashion. The good part is his ability to kick goals.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy Hille wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:57 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm Credit to Windy Hille for sticking tough with Langford...definitely looking more comfortable and importantly confident with being an AFL level footballer. Not in my best 15 but three months ago was not in my best 22.
Well, as I kept on saying, let’s see how he goes in the 50-100 game period. If there is no improvement, the. Let’s call it a day. But he’s started this period in good fashion. The good part is his ability to kick goals.
Well Windy Hille, I must say my eyes were opened on Friday. A quantum change in just about everything. And that snap goal from 45 or 50 floored me (was it 50?) But consistency is what counts, so 2 more games like that and I'll gladly eat my words.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Crazyman wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 am BTW as poor as Belly has been, I thought he was better against the dawks...

Maybe he just needs half a season to start warming up 🙄
He certainly pulled his figure out during the third, giving Zack a dream run. Couple of nice marks around the ground and a great goal.

More please!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'm not sure the game changes the lay of the land at all.

We played the same style of game that has come unstuck in finals and against any opposition worth its salt in recent years.

Some of the players in our best (Saad, McKenna and Langford in particular) routinely play well against mediocre opponents but flounder against strong opposition.

Until we can roll out this level of performance against decent teams week in, week out, such that we can say the game plan works, we are just treading water.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

gringo wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pmUntil we can roll out this level of performance against decent teams week in, week out, such that we can say the game plan works, we are just treading water.
Until we get a decent forward line happening and can kick straight consistently from within 30-40 metres we'll continue to tread water.