MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Post Reply
User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25679
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm

An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

My No.1 footy hero in 1981 after he sunk Carlton at Princess Park. Only to see him go down with a knee injury the following week. That was pretty much the end of his footy career - aged 20 and just been made official captain at the end of that season. He could have easily played 300 games, and been a dual premiership captain, and maybe a Brownlow Medallist. Sadly not to be.

Have a listen to this inspirational speech. Whenever you’re feeling down and out. Remember this man...

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019 ... rs-message
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

desmondo
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by desmondo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Totally agree with your thoughts Ben, a fit injury free Neale Daniher could definately have won the Charlie...

A champion footballer, AND just a champion human being.

And who knows?, 17/18 years from now there might be a kid called Cooper Daniher out there giving us thrills. 8)

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25679
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

desmondo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Totally agree with your thoughts Ben, a fit injury free Neale Daniher could definately have won the Charlie...

A champion footballer, AND just a champion human being.

And who knows?, 17/18 years from now there might be a kid called Cooper Daniher out there giving us thrills. 8)
The only problem is, I don’t think Cooper is a Daniher. Not by name anyway...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

desmondo
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by desmondo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Ooops sorry, :oops: my mistake. But with the Daniher progeny that is out there you would think it`s only a matter of time before there is a grandson or two from one or more of them running around in the red n black. :wink:

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12195
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Very nice BD

Couldn't agree more

User avatar
rockhole
Club Captain
Posts: 4836
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: La Grange

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by rockhole » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm
An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

My No.1 footy hero in 1981 after he sunk Carlton at Princess Park. Only to see him go down with a knee injury the following week. That was pretty much the end of his footy career - aged 20 and just been made official captain at the end of that season. He could have easily played 300 games, and been a dual premiership captain, and maybe a Brownlow Medallist. Sadly not to be.

Have a listen to this inspirational speech. Whenever you’re feeling down and out. Remember this man...

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019 ... rs-message
A superb athlete in long sleeves who reminded me a lot of Hirdy in that he seemed to have all the time in the world to do whatever he liked!! The win against Carlton on their home patch was as good as it gets especially when Fitzpatrick had the ball taken from him for time wasting in our forward pocket.

Massive admiration for the bloke.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8305
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by grassy1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:12 am

Only caught a smidge of him on The Front Bar last night.Did anyone see him in his entirety then?

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25679
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:13 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:12 am
Only caught a smidge of him on The Front Bar last night.Did anyone see him in his entirety then?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25679
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:28 am

rockhole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm
An amazing man with amazing courage. Thought I’d throw it amongst our Essendon thread board as he was a champion of our club.

My No.1 footy hero in 1981 after he sunk Carlton at Princess Park. Only to see him go down with a knee injury the following week. That was pretty much the end of his footy career - aged 20 and just been made official captain at the end of that season. He could have easily played 300 games, and been a dual premiership captain, and maybe a Brownlow Medallist. Sadly not to be.

Have a listen to this inspirational speech. Whenever you’re feeling down and out. Remember this man...

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019 ... rs-message
A superb athlete in long sleeves who reminded me a lot of Hirdy in that he seemed to have all the time in the world to do whatever he liked!! The win against Carlton on their home patch was as good as it gets especially when Fitzpatrick had the ball taken from him for time wasting in our forward pocket.

Massive admiration for the bloke.
True that!

He had that natural ‘calmness in a crisis’ type attribute. Used to call him Mr Smooth or Mr Cool. Played 66 consecutive games before his knee injuries. Played 16 more games in the next 9 years.

But he was that good at a young age that he played for Victoria on 2 occasions. In 1981 he was part of the reason why we won 16 games on the trot. He won the best & fairest that year, and Sheeds named him captain - age 20.

Just a tragedy what took place thereafter. He made a come back in 1985 and all was going well until he did his other knee in a mid week night series game. It only took another 4 years before he came back in 1989, but only half the player he was.

As a player, I remember his great ability to read the play, his ability to foresee the next passage, and his ability to create something out of nothing. He was a smooth mover with great skills. And a damned good mark. I can still see him streaming into the goals in that 1981 night premiership win over Carlton, and then taking a huge grab in the goal square. It really is a pity we never got to see him play for 300 games. He would have been one of our greats.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
Windy Hille
High Draft Pick
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by Windy Hille » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 am

Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15496
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by F111 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 am
Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.
Ozzie of the year!
Last edited by F111 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Windy Hille
High Draft Pick
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 am

F111 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm
Windy Hille wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 am
Incredible courage. What an inspiration. Should be acknowledged for his outstanding work on MND.
Ozzie of the year!
Would be well deserved!!

User avatar
s'dreams
Club Captain
Posts: 4212
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:48 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am

Neale Daniher has just been announced as the Victorian of the Year and is Victoria's candidate for Australian of the Year.

Massively deserved!!! Congratulations!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 25679
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:24 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am
Neale Daniher has just been announced as the Victorian of the Year and is Victoria's candidate for Australian of the Year.

Massively deserved!!! Congratulations!
Fantastic!

Thoroughly deserved =D>
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8305
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by grassy1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Great stuff Neale,well done and well deserved! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Rover99
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am

Re: MND - Mighty Neale Daniher

Post by Rover99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Fantastic. A true legend! =D> =D> =D> =D>

Post Reply