Get on board Jimmy's ride

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Lots of sheedy in that article: "lost my speed", "can no longer compete in one-on-one marking contests", "exploited by the hard running"... Given that he had a couple of 25+ possession games in the pre-season where he was in our best this all sounds like a smoke screen.

He's just trying to lull his opponents into a false sense of security and at the time he's showing off his future coaching credentials.

Can't wait until we play geelong - some of my favourite games have been while I've been sitting next to my mad geelong mate who hates what hird does to the cats with a passion but can't help but love the way he goes about his footy. I'm going to miss him when he retires.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yeah i read that today in the paper, um did anyone else get a higher sense of hope that he might go on next year?? or is that just me and my over the top wishful thinking
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

He reckons his ego is bigger than most, but I'm reading the writings of a very humble man who craves success and love the thrill of the game and his club.

He might feel he's starting to lose his brilliance, but I'm betting it's just him thinking that. As the old saying goes, miss one day of practice and you notice, miss two days and close friends notice, miss three days and everyone starts to notice. Maybe he feels he's "missed" that first day?

Jazz, I got the impression that he might consider it, but wasn't making up his mind until we see a bit more of the season. Who knows...
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's hard to see him going on next year. I guess we will just have to wait and see how his body holds up this year.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Jazz_84 wrote:yeah i read that today in the paper, um did anyone else get a higher sense of hope that he might go on next year?? or is that just me and my over the top wishful thinking
Just you and your over the top wishful thinking :wink:. He's said this year will be his last and it will be. If we weren't in the predicament we were last year, i personally believe he may have even retired then.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:yeah i read that today in the paper, um did anyone else get a higher sense of hope that he might go on next year?? or is that just me and my over the top wishful thinking
Just you and your over the top wishful thinking :wink:. He's said this year will be his last and it will be. If we weren't in the predicament we were last year, i personally believe he may have even retired then.
BAN!!

:lol: yeah you probably are right, i guess time will tell
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Yes, very interesting read there from Hirdy. Lots of Bomber stuff in the Hun today...Lloydy's right footer, even if it was just a reverse print and of course I just loved that famous B&W photo of the great JC under the heading of Memorable Debuts, recalling his 12 goals in his very first game. There's something kind of spiritual about that photo I reckon. Is it one that adorns the wall in the clubrooms I wonder??... If not it should be.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

So Hirdy's lost a step, has he?

Better be careful, if he loses 2 or 3 more the opposition might just catch up to him.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Hird was incredible last week.

Not a heap of possesions but everytime he got his hands on the nut something positive happened for the bombers!!!
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Just like every week Western!

My Dad always says when Hirdy gets it "Look how he uses it, he rarely turns it over"
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

His lack of pace has hurt us in the past, as the rest of the team was nowhere near as quick as we are now. The positive was, as soon as his man ran off him Hird would make them pay so it was worth it.

His goal last week was crucial. He may not have the consistant impact he used to have but you can bet your house that come the end of this year he will have won us games. Come finals his age will dissappear.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Also he still puts the fear of god into opposition coaches as indicated by the hard tag of M Carr for the whole game!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Within a couple of weeks, Hird will play a blinder which will have all the scribes convinced that he will play on. Bruce will pass out in rapturous joy, Cometti will be speechless and Sheeds will just give us a knowing smile.

The move to name the stand opposite the Medallion at Telstra the "James Hird Stand" should start now.

The move to rename the "Coventry" end to the "Coleman" end, should start now.

Do we want our branding on our stadium???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

rockhole wrote:Within a couple of weeks, Hird will play a blinder which will have all the scribes convinced that he will play on. Bruce will pass out in rapturous joy, Cometti will be speechless and Sheeds will just give us a knowing smile.

The move to name the stand opposite the Medallion at Telstra the "James Hird Stand" should start now.

The move to rename the "Coventry" end to the "Coleman" end, should start now.

Do we want our branding on our stadium???
Only new but already up there of post of the year!!! :shock:
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

You should get around here more often Rockhole!

Thats a ripper mate.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gossy7 wrote:You should get around here more often Rockhole!

Thats a ripper mate.
Hmmmm is it Sir James himself he does claim to have a massive ego after all and I am sure he would have loved Leon Baker as a kid...
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Hmmmmmmm........

Good post Jimmy! :lol: