Ruckman

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Club Captain

Ruckman

Post by rockhole » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Having seen our makeshift ruck department consisting of Smack, Hooker, Stringer, Hartley and anyone else standing close to the ballup/throw in, you start to question the value of dedicated ruckmen. With obviously superior ruckmen, Adelaide's mids were pantsed whereas we got plenty out of the aforementioned quartet around the ground plus the occasional tap to our advantage.

Also, I am inclined to go with the same structure against the Suns. We may have no choice, but to suggest we bring in someone like Laverde who spills easy marks and cannot kick straight doesn't make sense to me.

We cop our whack in the ruck and pick up the slack around the ground. I reckon that will give us more scoring opportunities.

As mentioned previously, we need a 10-15 goal win here to boost our low percentage. Changing a winning formula is not the answer.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Ruckman

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Agree.

Ever since we lost our ruckmen, we start winning. Funny that.

Aside from Zed Clarke’s game v North, we have been shat on in the ruck department for most of the year. And they virtually provided donuts with their “influence” around the ground. Don’t believe me, check our own votes thread and see if Belly or anyone else features there.

Go with a mobile token ruckman. That way, they might actually rove the tap themselves and get a clearance.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Whilst the bounce of the ball results in a random outcome, most ruck duels are a lottery anyway. And even if you have one ruckman dominating, the damning stat is hit outs to advantage. A dominant ruckman may have 35+ hit outs per game and yet only see six of them result in an advantage (some of those may be around the ground). Now 6 clearances from a tap out can be a significant outcome for some teams. But how many of those actually result in direct goals??? Maybe 1 or 2 a game. We scored something like 13 of 15 goals from plays originating in our defensive half. May be a quick clearance from the centre bounce landing across our half back line is in fact to the team's benefit.

I remember when rucks use to drift back, one kick behind the play and provide a solid intercept marking option - but that simply doesnt happen in the modern game. In fact, you barely see ruckmen popping up for contested marks like yesteryear. Think Simon Madden, Gary Dempsey, Peter Moore.

I agree with Ben, I dont think it is mere coincidence that we have performed better without a genuine ruck. Bellchambers has not been amongst our best in more than a decade. In many ways, its like you are playing with 21 men.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:14 pm

I have stated earlier that the "modern" rucks are those who get the taps, but also pick up 17-20 possessions and lay 5-6 tackles.

Grundy, Gawn, Marshall, O'Brien are the way...

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward Daniher as our 2020 ruck (with support from Draper).

Don't forget that Adelaide's Mids are slow slow slow. With faster mid setups (eg Pies, Brisbane) we may be cut up a bit with no decent ruck craft. But otherwise put faith in McKernan.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:57 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:14 pm
I have stated earlier that the "modern" rucks are those who get the taps, but also pick up 17-20 possessions and lay 5-6 tackles.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward Daniher as our 2020 ruck (with support from Draper).

Don't forget that Adelaide's Mids are slow slow slow. With faster mid setups (eg Pies, Brisbane) we may be cut up a bit with no decent ruck craft. But otherwise put faith in McKernan.
Re Daniher...i said exactly the same somewhere else. He could become a great Ruck...has mobility, great at ground level and a generally accurate and penetrating field kick. Maybe Paul Salmon could be the model. The only issue, does he have the tank to play permanent ruck. To be honest...his accuracy or lack thereof makes him more of a liability at full forward.

It would give us so many options

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Like your thinking.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 pm

The main issue I see with the "no proper ruckman" scenario, is that we'll get flogged at clearances - like we did V Adelaide - and against a better defensive team we'll be pinned down in our back half, which has always been diabolical for us. Let's remember Adelaide's Forward 6 made just 2 tackles for the whole game.

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm

We'll quickly have to learn to rove to their rucks. Unless Zac Clarke is fitter enough to play with part time ruck helpers.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Draper re-signs. 4 years.
203 cm, weight 107 kg

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019 ... k-resigns-

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm

F111 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm
Draper re-signs. 4 years.
203 cm, weight 107 kg

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019 ... k-resigns-
Good but the club as a duty of care needs to recruit at least one or preferably two rookie rucks as rookies ... lets see if they can get a Cat B rookie basketball switchover player like every other club seems to have.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)