List Management and Trading...2019

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

List Management and Trading...2019

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:12 pm

OK, so there are a couple of threads where some of these issues are already being discussed. Without taking the focus too far away from the current season, it would seem timely to again look at uncontracted players (and some contracted)

A lot of talk around JD at the moment and both Syd and Ess as well as Daniher have effectively quashed the rumours. He is a required player at Essendon and he has stated his preference to being a “one club” player.

However, he comes out of contract at the end of 2020 and also becomes a restricted free agent. If he was to leave as a free agent we would receive a nominal compensation pick, probably a single first round selection. If he was traded, let’s say at the end of this year, he would surely demand 2 First Round draft picks...a seriously better return on our investment.

Let’s imagine we did trade Daniher, could we then get into the field for Coniglio? Would Coniglio help deliver a flag earlier than Daniher. The fact is that while Joe is a 50 goal a year potential, he has only delivered this once in 6 or 7 years. Obviously injury has cruelled his output but would you be confident he could come back and deliver this level of output for the remainder of his career?

Fantasia, still under contract for another year but like Joe, his injury issues may never see him reach a consistent level of performance, yet there is no doubting his currency and appeal to clubs in SA. A first and perhaps second round selection would be tempting.

So where does that leave the team minus Daniher and Fantasia but plus Coniglio and perhaps a young gun key forward via the draft? Would we be a better team?

On top of this you have Redman, Francis, Walla and Guelfi all out of contract. I would be loathe to lose any of these guys but as always, it comes down to what you would get in return. Francis may well require a first round pick given his draft selection a few years ago and his undeniable potential. For me however, it’s a no. Would like to see him emerge as a long term replacement for Hurley and form a partnership with Ridley, Zerk Thatcher and our other young and promising defenders. Likewise Redman i would hold onto as he has certainly shown enough to suggest a long and successful career.

Guelfi I am neither here nor there on, a hard working player no doubt but not necessarily a damaging player...perhaps a second round selection?

Walla is the interesting one, if Fantasia went then no way would you lose Walla as well. But I would think clubs would be prepared to offer a first rounder for him and I am hearing as much as 600 to 700K per year!!! He is 26 (I think) and whilst a definite game changer, does have a tendency to switch off. For me he is a keeper but as always, it comes down to what you would get in return. I can’t see Walla leaving but it is a concern that he is yet to re-sign. Definite interest from Carlton and Bulldogs apparently. Would we be able to match a $600k pa offer?

s'dreams
Club Captain

Re: List Management and Trading...2019

Post by s'dreams » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Coniglio?

Why would we trade one broken down player for another broken down player?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Coniglio?

Why would we trade one broken down player for another broken down player?
Especially when we're experts at breaking down players!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:51 am

Would have thought Coniglio’s next Club,would be right here in WA,if he ended up leaving GWS.But with who,I don’t know.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm

I think this topic just became a whole lot more pertinent

A game plan built around pace and run off the half back line. It depends on two or three players. Other than that we have nothing. Or at least it would appear after the last 2 weeks.

A major concern is the fact that the forward line was being built around a fit and firing Daniher. Where other clubs have recruited some really impressive young key forward, we have nothing in support of Joe. Yes, Brown and McKernan have had some decent cameos but who amongst our list can give us a long term target. With Fantasia clearly shot and Walla up and down, our forward line is a shambles.

Can we continue to have faith in JD? Even if he does comeback, is he enough?

Look at the Dogs tonight, 3 really good medium to tall forwards milking a dominant midfield that shared the ball around. We don’t get anywhere near that drive from our mids, again, we rely on Saad and McKenna to provide some form of attack.

I still believe we have a solid core group but the game plan is fragile and the depth is non existent. With some solid long term planning and a coach that knows how to get the best out of the team, there is still hope for next season. But persist with the current recruiting strategy. (How many half back flankers does one team need) and rely on an iffy game plan, then I doubt there is much to look forward to.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm
I think this topic just became a whole lot more pertinent

A game plan built around pace and run off the half back line. It depends on two or three players. Other than that we have nothing. Or at least it would appear after the last 2 years.
Fixed it for you...

The bigger issue is that after being punished by loss of first round picks after the saga - we have traded away the first round picks for the past 2 years and for this year.

That's a lot of developing talent that is lacking from this club compared to others...

Tonight the dogs had:
Bailey Smith (#7 2018) 23 possessions and a goal
Aaron Naughton (#9 2017) 14 possessions 2 goals
Ed Richards (#16 2017) 13 possessions

Yes we got some early picks (#17 in 2014 and #6 in 2015), but that was at the expense of players who we would be expecting to show leadership around the club and on the ground.

In retrospect, making the 2017 finals was a big overestimation of the state of our list. We won 12 games on the back of the soft draw that is provided to the wooden spooner...

Perhaps we were mistaken in trading so aggressively for the "icing on the cake" to hopefully take us to a GF when there were so many deficiencies in the list that are now so apparent (eg ruck stocks, good ball users).

The highly predictable game plan and doesn't help either...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Hipwood, King, Naughton...the list goes on of other clubs who have developed decent key forwards

Please, someone name me who our up and coming key forward is?

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:12 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:56 pm
Hipwood, King, Naughton...the list goes on of other clubs who have developed decent key forwards

Please, someone name me who our up and coming key forward is?
Noah Gown.
In saying that, we really weren't looking for another up and coming forward - we have Daniher, McKernan, Stewart and Stringer for the big forward role.
Personally I'd have preferred us to find one or two good small forwards.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Keepers

Stringer
Merrett
Shiel
Heppell
McGrath
Parish
Clarke D
Saad
McDonald-Tipungwuti
McKenna
Redman
Ambrose
Daniher
Smith
Hooker
Gleeson
Ridley

Trade Currency (Realistic Market Value)

Hurley (Early 2nd Round plus Early 3rd Round)
Fantasia ( Mid to Late 1st Round)
Francis. (Mid to Late 2nd Round)
Laverde (late 2nd Round to High 3rd Round)
Stewart (4th Round)
Zaharakis (4th Round)
Hartley (4th Round)

Uncertain

Guelfi
Begley
Bellchambers
McNiece
Brown
McKernan

Too Early to Call

Mutch