Tom Jok

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Club Captain

Tom Jok

Post by s'dreams » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Essendon rookie Tom Jok set for AFL debut on Friday night

By Sumeyya Ilanbey
August 21, 2019 — 3.23pm

Essendon rookie Tom Jok is a strong chance to make his AFL debut on Friday night during the blockbuster clash with Collingwood at the MCG.

The club has confirmed that 21-year-old Jok is likely to be included in the team if he can get through Thursday’s training session.

Bombers coach John Worsfold reportedly broke the news in a meeting with the club's midfield group on Tuesday. Jok has played nine games for the Dons in the VFL this year, and has had a strong five-week block.

He was selected by the Bombers with their first pick in the 2018 AFL rookie draft "as an exciting and raw prospect", according to the club website.

The talented rookie had been overlooked in multiple drafts but he was one of the biggest stars in the Victorian Amateur Football Association, where he played for St Kevin's Old Boys Football Club.

He played seven games for Collingwood's VFL side in the second half of 2018, before he was picked up by the Bombers at the end of the season.

Jok impressed AFL clubs with his athletic versatility, earning a pre-season stint at St Kilda. At the time, Saints recruit Dan Hannebery said AFL clubs would be "stupid not to take a chance on Tom Jok".

"Jok can be utilised anywhere on the ground, using his height and athleticism to great effect from half-forward, half-back, the wing and even in the ruck," his bio on the Dons' website states.

"An elite runner with attacking instincts, expect to see plenty of Jok taking the game on and lighting up the ground with exciting runs and spectacular marks wherever he plays in 2019."
To be named ruck perhaps?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Tom Jok

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 pm

You have to be Joking!!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:20 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Essendon rookie Tom Jok is a strong chance to make his AFL debut on Friday night during the blockbuster clash with Collingwood at the MCG.
Listed at 190cm and 74kg - he'll be smashed.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:20 pm
s'dreams wrote:

Though he is way taller than 190, he is apparently going to be named on the wing.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:37 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 pm
nudder12 wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

Though he is way taller than 190, he is apparently going to be named on the wing.
Given the way our team is named every week, that can only mean he WILL play Ruck!! :lol:

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:37 pm
s'dreams wrote:
nudder12 wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

Given the way our team is named every week, that can only mean he WILL play Ruck!! :lol:
Valued for his athletic versatility...an exciting and "raw" prospect....elite runner with attacking instincts...can be utilized anywhere on the ground... Sounds like a lump of prime beef steak that could be turned into Fillet Mignon - or hamburgers. Pure and simple Woosha-speak and another Woosha decision without any credible statistics to back it up. [-(

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm
nudder12 wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
nudder12 wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

Valued for his athletic versatility...an exciting and "raw" prospect....elite runner with attacking instincts...can be utilized anywhere on the ground... Sounds like a lump of prime beef steak that could be turned into Fillet Mignon - or hamburgers. Pure and simple Woosha-speak and another Woosha decision without any credible statistics to back it up. [-(
The description of him is taken from his Bio piece on the Club website. Pretty sure Woosha doesn't write those.
But yeah, I am surprised he's got a game given his recent VFL form.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:14 pm

It’s amazing, when he goes into the ruck he is 195cm....but on the wing he is a mere 190cm

Now that’s versatility

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Can he any worse in the truck against Grundy than Z Clarke?
Regards

MH_Bomber

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 pm
Can he any worse in the truck against Grundy than Z Clarke?
We will get towelled up at the clearances unless we really put pressure on them.

I just don’t see it happening, but we’ll find out soon enough...

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm
Rover99 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm
nudder12 wrote:
s'dreams wrote:
nudder12 wrote:

The description of him is taken from his Bio piece on the Club website. Pretty sure Woosha doesn't write those.
But yeah, I am surprised he's got a game given his recent VFL form.
Yeah I was trying to say that sounds just like Woosha speak only they left out the bit about how he was learning fast

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:16 am

Good luck Tom.

Playing against your old side can make one do great things or the reverse.Hopefully,the former! :wink:

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:51 am

Congratulations Tom, hope you have a smashing debut.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:29 pm

kid was very nervous but did a couple of nice things.

congratulations on your debut Shock

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Yes that's the word I was looking for. :D One thing's for sure he's not your average AFL player and he could do with a few more K's but if he turns all those dance steps into positive moves, he might end up another Tippa. :D

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Definitely a player we should see more of. I feel his kicking let him down and hurt us on the rebound which was due to nerves. Many times he got the hard ball only to quickly handball to a player 1m away when a clearing kick would have been preferred. With more poise and composure he could be anything.
He definitely didn’t hold back in effort

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm

I'm not trying to bag the guy, just being honest....he looked obviously out of his depth tonight. He was trying, no doubt, and did a few nice things, but mostly looked like he had no idea where to be or what to do next. His selection was a surprise given the reports from his VFL games where he wasn't exactly starring, so the more I think about it, the more I think he was thrown in there for development reasons - to show him what he needs to learn to be an AFL footballer. Good luck to him though and I hope he does learn some lessons and improve as a result.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:38 am

nudder12 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm
I'm not trying to bag the guy, just being honest....he looked obviously out of his depth tonight. He was trying, no doubt, and did a few nice things, but mostly looked like he had no idea where to be or what to do next. His selection was a surprise given the reports from his VFL games where he wasn't exactly starring, so the more I think about it, the more I think he was thrown in there for development reasons - to show him what he needs to learn to be an AFL footballer. Good luck to him though and I hope he does learn some lessons and improve as a result.
Tonite's game was played by both sides with an intensity I haven't seen for a long time. It was finals like - and Jok was debuting.

There were a few others who didn't cope with the pace or playing in front of 82K people - Begley, Brown and even Saad. Tom did fine as a debut, though his kicking was a bit too reminiscent of Zaha's for my liking.

The guy would seem to have a lot of upside. Good start!

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 am

He frequently got sucked towards the contralateral contest which left his man free behind him and allowed them an easy switch.

He'll hopefully learn from it.

I thought he looked likely but very nervous.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 am

s'dreams wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:38 am
nudder12 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm
Tonite's game was played by both sides with an intensity I haven't seen for a long time. It was finals like - and Jok was debuting.

There were a few others who didn't cope with the pace or playing in front of 82K people - Begley, Brown and even Saad. Tom did fine as a debut, though his kicking was a bit too reminiscent of Zaha's for my liking.

The guy would seem to have a lot of upside. Good start!
I wasn't trying to bag him, and I think he does have potential. But wasn't much tonight.
As for the others.....Saad was "put in the pocket" by Buckley. It did allow McKenna more freedom though. The benefits of the two-pronged running assault! Brown? - again, I think well coached by Buckley - didn't give Brown the space he usually enjoys. Begley? Well, early in the season I was a big fan, but I have to say he just doesn't deliver. Nothing to do with intensity or big crowds. He's had a lot of opportunities, but despite all his gifts of size, speed, skills and talent, he doesn't provide what I think he ought to. I've been hoping in recent weeks, with all our injuries, that he'd see the opportunity to make a mark on the game, but it just hasn't happened. But I remain hopeful that he will soon.