Finals Run Up

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Finals Run Up

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 pm

As I write, if Hawthorn finish off the Eagles we will want Adelaide to beat the Bulldogs or we face a road trip to Perth in Week 1. I would imagine it would be very unlikely that the Eagles would drop 2 consecutive games at their home ground. So, let’s hope the Crows get up in which case we will be away to GWS...a slightly more palatable option.

Alternatively Brisbane beat Richmond then I believe they could fall to 5th and then we would play the Tigers at the G

Mauling incoming either way. I can only see us having a chance if it’s GWS and that would be living in a prayer anyway.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Re: Finals Run Up

Post by s'dreams » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 pm

It is what it is. Perhaps a reminder to not drop games against cellar dwellers or to make sure you win big against same.

Getting into finals with a percentage of 96 is just downright embarrassing.

Then again, maybe Woosha will be keen to make an impression against a WA team for some reason or another :wink:
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 am

Hawthorn just proved how susceptible the Egirls can be if you play ‘em right?

So Why the f*** can’t we?

We lead them 5 - ZERO in Finals by the way!

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:48 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 am
Hawthorn just proved how susceptible the Egirls can be if you play ‘em right?

So Why the f*** can’t we?

We lead them 5 - ZERO in Finals by the way!
We won't beat the Eagles because it requires taking their space, to deny them their "keepings-off" brand.
Sadly we're too ill-disciplined to "man-up" diligently.
We are a much better proposition against Richmond or GWS. But mostly V GWS, because V Richmond we'd still have to be disciplined enough to match their work rate - and history says we're unlikely to.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 am

Nudder do you ever think sometimes like me, that barring a decent Ruck we've already got all the players we need to be a top 4 side and beat any team on the Park? That right now, we don't need to draft anybody or buy anybody or change anything to do with the playersl. All we need is a coach who can drill them and discipline them and hone their skills and give them a game plan that can handle any challenge or contingency that's thrown at them. . Last night at times they just seemed to be an unaccountable rabble that was keen as mustard but had lost its direction and wasnt going to be able to put any team worth its salt away. What really hurt was that some of the effort really was top 4 stuff but it was all for nothing because a drilled and disciplined team just sailed past them and snatched it out of thier hands. Do our players even watch replays from 20 years ago? If they do they must wonder what went wrong.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:50 am

we have a decent core of high quality players...but we really lack an elite inside mid, a young kpp forward a line breaking winger....i believe in Draper we have a long term ruck option

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 am

Rover99 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 am
Nudder do you ever think sometimes like me, that barring a decent Ruck we've already got all the players we need to be a top 4 side and beat any team on the Park? That right now, we don't need to draft anybody or buy anybody or change anything to do with the playersl. All we need is a coach who can drill them and discipline them and hone their skills and give them a game plan that can handle any challenge or contingency that's thrown at them. . Last night at times they just seemed to be an unaccountable rabble that was keen as mustard but had lost its direction and wasnt going to be able to put any team worth its salt away. What really hurt was that some of the effort really was top 4 stuff but it was all for nothing because a drilled and disciplined team just sailed past them and snatched it out of thier hands. Do our players even watch replays from 20 years ago? If they do they must wonder what went wrong.
Well....since you asked......
I dunno about the Ruck question. It'd help. Though honestly I think Bellchambers is adequate. He's actually been pretty good most of this year.
And I'm not sure about the coaching question you flag.
But I do agree that we have everything we need to be successful. I've seen it. Multiple times. This team can beat anyone.
It's why I get so frustrated. Success is within their grasp. But something - no idea what - is missing.
I don't think it's the coaching - there's a plan, and when the players execute it, they're awesome. But too often they fall away from what they must know is successful. I simply don't believe that any instruction they receive suggests they be as unaccountable as they so often are.
I don't mean to single out anyone, but just as I'm typing this, McGrath comes to mind in relation to your comment about losing direction. No doubt he has stacks of talent and skill, but a lot of what I see from him is someone throwing all their energy into the game but with no real plan once he gets the ball.
I'm a believer that at this level you make your own motivation. So I just don't get it when they clearly don't play to the plan. Don't they want success?
To me it's not a coaching issue. A coach provides a plan, a system. It's up to the players to execute it. They shouldn't need to be drilled or disciplined, they should "want" the successes that come from it. And the Plan works. Look at the second half of last year.
It just baffles me endlessly why they perform so inconsistently. At the end of last season I thought they were finally on-track. Their last 10 weeks or so were excellent. I expected they'd start this season from where they left off last year. But they have gone nowhere this season. I...just....don't....get...it. They must have realised last year's plan was working. They must have realised they needed to continue that and build on it. But they didn't. It's just unbelievable.
I dunno, maybe the problem is the coaching. I can't say it's not....because I have no other answers. Although I will say (as I have previously) our Forwards coaching is rubbish. The biggest problem we've had for 2 seasons is converting Inside 50's into scores. But I still see no teamwork or cohesion Inside 50. Nobody works for anybody else. They have no idea about blocking or making space or leading patterns. Dermott Brereton givng them some clues would improve them 500% in a month.
Anyway, I could go on and on because it's all so intangible. Sorry to rant so much, but you hit my "sore spot" - why is this team so poor when they have sooooo much potential.
I would so dearly love to be a fly on the wall at The Hangar or to speak directly to the players, to get some understanding of what goes through their heads.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am

So, if Tiggies lose and Doggies win, we play Tiggies.

If Tiggies win and Doggies win, we play Wiggles.

If Doggies lose, we play Gigantics.

I’m tipping we will be heading over to Perth for an Elimination Final. Now, history tells us...

* We are allergic to September
* We suffer from chronic Eliminitis
* 15 year drought of a winning final

The only historical thing in our favour...

* We have played West Coast in 5 finals and won all of them
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:00 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 am
I dunno about the Ruck question. It'd help. Though honestly I think Bellchambers is adequate. He's actually been pretty good most of this year.
But I do agree that we have everything we need to be successful. I've seen it. Multiple times. This team can beat anyone.
It's why I get so frustrated. Success is within their grasp. But something - no idea what - is missing.
I don't think it's the coaching - there's a plan, and when the players execute it, they're awesome. But too often they fall away from what they must know is successful. I simply don't believe that any instruction they receive suggests they be as unaccountable as they so often are.
I don't mean to single out anyone, but just as I'm typing this, McGrath comes to mind in relation to your comment about losing direction. No doubt he has stacks of talent and skill, but a lot of what I see from him is someone throwing all their energy into the game but with no real plan once he gets the ball.
I'm a believer that at this level you make your own motivation. So I just don't get it when they clearly don't play to the plan. Don't they want success?
To me it's not a coaching issue. A coach provides a plan, a system. It's up to the players to execute it. They shouldn't need to be drilled or disciplined, they should "want" the successes that come from it. And the Plan works. Look at the second half of last year.
It just baffles me endlessly why they perform so inconsistently. At the end of last season I thought they were finally on-track. Their last 10 weeks or so were excellent. I expected they'd start this season from where they left off last year. But they have gone nowhere this season. I...just....don't....get...it. They must have realised last year's plan was working. They must have realised they needed to continue that and build on it. But they didn't. It's just unbelievable.
I dunno, maybe the problem is the coaching. I can't say it's not....because I have no other answers. Although I will say (as I have previously) our Forwards coaching is rubbish. The biggest problem we've had for 2 seasons is converting Inside 50's into scores. But I still see no teamwork or cohesion Inside 50. Nobody works for anybody else. They have no idea about blocking or making space or leading patterns. Dermott Brereton givng them some clues would improve them 500% in a month.
Anyway, I could go on and on because it's all so intangible. Sorry to rant so much, but you hit my "sore spot" - why is this team so poor when they have sooooo much potential.
I would so dearly love to be a fly on the wall at The Hangar or to speak directly to the players, to get some understanding of what goes through their heads.
Good stuff. =D>
I do think Daniher is the X factor/missing link. A dominant forward either works well or provides the opposition with so much distraction it enables others. If he or someone like him provides that consistent scenario it's gotta add confidence to bringing the ball i50. As long as the alternatives are also utilised. We have a few of them.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:15 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am

I’m tipping we will be heading over to Perth for an Elimination Final. Now, history tells us...

But - a certain coach (whom some in here have stated may be looking for a shift out West) may just want this to be an audition for a sudden and unexpected vacancy...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:55 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am

All points duly noted,Especially the last.

It would be their chance to get one back in that department.But,with few expectations for us, I’ll keep reminding them,all the pressure’s on them on 2 counts!

If they Lose to us,it’s 6 -ZERO!

They are OUT!

What a Completely Miserable end that’d be for ‘em! :twisted: :lol:

If you think I hate the Eagles,you’d be dead right(years ago I know)!

Ironically,it’s not so much the current players and Coach.It’s Brand Eagle and all the Bloody Bullshit that goes with them,via their media mates,mainly Channel Eagle,The Worst And 6PR(which Tony doesn’t listen to.We haven’t forgotten you Tony :wink: ).I also want ‘em to Die in the rear today and get eaten by a mob of sharks(East Fremantle),But they probably won’t,pound for pound. :-& :evil:

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Anyone who believes we will get within a mile of the Eagle is smoking some bad ass hooch. By the way, I am in full pain control mode already.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm
Anyone who believes we will get within a mile of the Eagle is smoking some bad ass hooch. By the way, I am in full pain control mode already.

rockhole
Club Captain

Post by rockhole » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 am
Rover99 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 am
Great post. I am just as mystified as you are. Whereas Stringer has had a great year, we really lack a tall marking forward. Unfortunately, we have a tall marking forward who cannot kick straight and rarely seems to play. Look at the difference to the forward line when Hooker moves there.!! Mckernan's too short although he tries his guts out. Brown is to light and is easily pushed off the ball although, thank Christ, he can kick straight. We are not bad when it hits the deck, but usually, it is just a shambles as you say, and we still suffer from the Davey syndrome of bombing it on the top of the smallest player's head, ususally Tippa, on the chance that he can bring it to ground and win the clearance.
We live in hope!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm

F111 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:37 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
What cocktail is that,mate? :wink:

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm
F111 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:37 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
What cocktail is that,mate? :wink:
A Blue Moon...Blue Curao, Vodka and Lemonade :lol:

Aptly names if we win a final against the Egirls in Perth after 15 years of misery :lol:

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 am

Hope you can enjoy it. 8)

Don’t overdo it though. :-&