Marching Orders

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Marching Orders

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Hooker. Great clubman but is past it
Fantasia. Has trade currency and we should sell before he is completely useless
Laverde. Adios hombre
Langford. Waste of good football boots
Bellchambers. Arguably the worst ruckman in the League
Brown. A trier but not the answer. Keeping him simply shows how bad we are.

Also bye bye to Long, Dea, McKernan, Myers, McNiece, Clarke Z

On thin ice...

Hurley...probably worth trading to a Gold Coast. Love the guy but he is in decline and will only get worse

Begley...shown nothing but will get one more year

Stewart...injury plagued but by virtue of the above clean out gets one more year

s'dreams
Club Captain

Re: Marching Orders

Post by s'dreams » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Laverde. Adios hombre

On thin ice...

Hurley...probably worth trading to a Gold Coast. Love the guy but he is in decline and will only get worse

Stewart...injury plagued but by virtue of the above clean out gets one more year
Start where the trouble is rooted - Woosha and Xavier...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Agree on Hooker and Fantasia Matt Dea retires a couple of days ago.

You cant offload these injury riddled guys and expect quality in return.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:27 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 pm
Agree on Hooker and Fantasia Matt Dea retires a couple of days ago.

You cant offload these injury riddled guys and expect quality in return.
Injury riddled can be an excuse that applies to a couple but the remainder need to move on for other reasons as stated.

Time to make a statement

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:36 pm

And Woosha - Hasta la Vista baby.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Laverde. Adios hombre

On thin ice...

Why stop there?
You've indicated a complete let's bottom out rebuild phase.
So let's get rid of everyone and anyone who won't be around by the time we've rebuilt and are ready to challenge for a flag (sarcasm font).
PS - Brown has signed a new deal already.
Just to add some depth to the discussion, Hooker has been fine until late in the season when injured. You may remember everyone reckoned he'd be our saviour if only we'd play him forward.
Fantasia also injured most of second half of the season.
Bellchambers - also injured most of second half of the season, and was quite serviceable until then. Check the Crichton votes.
You really want to clean out some players that add nothing - Heppell. The most non-influential captain in the league.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:14 am

Fantasia has been on an injury run for 2 years. He is likely to return home at some stage. Cash in chips now or risk another wasted year and watch his value plummet.

Bellchambers is junk. Chricton votes mean stuff all. Look at his overall rankings in the key statistical areas for a first choice ruckman...not in top 15 for any.

Naitanui completely pantsed him coming off about 2 hours of footy in the last 2 years.

Hooker may have been a solid player but the signs are he is on a deep decline. Will be 32. Time to move on snd develop BZT Ridley, Francis etc

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:14 am
Fantasia has been on an injury run for 2 years. He is likely to return home at some stage. Cash in chips now or risk another wasted year and watch his value plummet.

Bellchambers is junk. Chricton votes mean stuff all. Look at his overall rankings in the key statistical areas for a first choice ruckman...not in top 15 for any.

Naitanui completely pantsed him coming off about 2 hours of footy in the last 2 years.

Hooker may have been a solid player but the signs are he is on a deep decline. Will be 32. Time to move on snd develop BZT Ridley, Francis etc
Fantasia - or.....he could be injury free and be as good as we know he can be.
Bellchambers - I think Crichton votes do indicate his performance and worth to the team. Doesn't mean he's the best ruckman in the league though. But what can we do? Are there any other rucks out there we could have had that would do better? And getting pantsed by NicNat is no shame. Few can match him.
Hooker - as I said, most were saying he's our saviour. But I agree he's getting long in the tooth. But we have been developing BZT, Ridley, Francis. What more can the club do?
I'm just trying to be realistic. We can't junk everyone. A better ruck would be great. Hooker is still worth his place. And read back over my posts - I've been asking for recruitment of better small forwards for a long time. Snelling was a good step in that direction but we need more.
Honestly, player by player, I can see their value. So I don't see why they can't make a formidable team.
I think our recruiting/drafting has been good the last couple of seasons.
Tell me why I'm wrong. And tell me how, with our lack of draft picks etc, we can change that.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:11 am

Confirmed departures;

Mark Baguley
Matt Dea
David Myers

My compost bin...

Tom Bellchambers
David Zaharakis
Jayden Laverde
Josh Begley
James Stewart
Zac Clarke
Cale Hooker
Ben McNiece
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm

We’ve sold the kitchen sink on Shiel last year. No draft picks before 30 this year unless we get trading. We’ll notice it soon enough - 2 years without any first rounders.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm

bpdons wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm
We’ve sold the kitchen sink on Shiel last year. No draft picks before 30 this year unless we get trading. We’ll notice it soon enough - 2 years without any first rounders.
and that is exactly why we need to be aggressive with trades.

Trading Fantasia may come back to bite us but is worth the risk if it lands us a first round pick or a player we genuinely need.

Hurley may in turn help land a second round selection which in turn coukd be on traded with another second pick for a first rounder

All options must be explored

DC2
High Draft Pick

Post by DC2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:54 am

bpdons wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm
shiel was diabolical last night. his kicking is reminiscent of dylan clarke. fitting they both have the same first name.

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 am

If Fanta was traded or went back to SA of his want (he denies that) we still have AMT. We also have Mosquito who might be a couple of years from regular game time, but is he someone that should be backed to take a similar role? I've never seen him in action and don't really know his strengths.

Fanta took a few years as did AMT to become exciting dangerous forwards. I'm guessing it'd be too much to expect Mosquito to step up for another 2-3 years at least?

The point is succession planning. Francis & BZT are obvious down back for future proofing Hooker & Hurls, Ridley too.

Anyhow, this season was derailled by injuries to key players who actually missed most of the season or who ended up underdone on Thursday. The 5 in's, except Snelling, are all important key players, but were all severely underdone and it showed. A player cannot afford to be nqr against a forward line getting constant delivery like they were.

Unfortunately, if given the opportunity, I doubt BZT & Hartley would've had much chance either.

I see expectations of a huge preseason & a rapid start to 2020 otherwise the marching orders for some important names will happen. I can't see it happen just yet though.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 am

F111 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 am
If Fanta was traded or went back to SA of his want (he denies that) we still have AMT. We also have Mosquito who might be a couple of years from regular game time, but is he someone that should be backed to take a similar role? I've never seen him in action and don't really know his strengths.

Fanta took a few years as did AMT to become exciting dangerous forwards. I'm guessing it'd be too much to expect Mosquito to step up for another 2-3 years at least?

The point is succession planning. Francis & BZT are obvious down back for future proofing Hooker & Hurls, Ridley too.

Anyhow, this season was derailled by injuries to key players who actually missed most of the season or who ended up underdone on Thursday. The 5 in's, except Snelling, are all important key players, but were all severely underdone and it showed. A player cannot afford to be nqr against a forward line getting constant delivery like they were.

Unfortunately, if given the opportunity, I doubt BZT & Hartley would've had much chance either.

I see expectations of a huge preseason & a rapid start to 2020 otherwise the marching orders for some important names will happen. I can't see it happen just yet though.
Agree with your thoughts in general. Think you've undersold Snelling though. He's been very good in that small forward role. And he can play midfield too - it's what he had been doing when we drafted him.
And I don't think having AMT & Mosquito (if he makes it - still very raw) is enough. I reckon we need 3 smalls in the forward line. Look at Cats, Pies, Tiges, even Eagles. 2 or at most 3 tall types. But we keep persisting with a combination of at least 4 of Daniher, McKernan, Stringer, Brown, Laverde, Begley.
Oops, almost forgot Devon Smith. Add him in. But even then, we need some depth players in the VFL for that role. Had hoped Houlahan would come along, but he's not been setting the world on fire.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 am

How will the Strength and Conditioning Team measure up in this Season’s Review?

These guys have a lot at stake,with potentially Careers on the line.They’ll be putting their case,as to how they deal with the players,prepare them for matches and help in recovery.

And quite frankly,unless The Club knows about anyone that has made some glaring errors,I’d sooner they’d keep their jobs than anyone else,as much as the fate of any Club each year,comes down to it’s Coaching and Playing List!

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 am

These guys have a lot at stake,with potentially Careers on the line.They’ll be putting their case,as to how they deal with the players,prepare them for matches and help in recovery.

And quite frankly,unless The Club knows about anyone that has made some glaring errors,I’d sooner they’d keep their jobs than anyone else,as much as the fate of any Club each year,comes down to it’s Coaching and Playing List!
Clear the f****** decks with that lot. IMO, they had been absolutely shithouse.

The start to our season was bloody pathetic. The whole team looked underdone, slow, and unfit. GPS tracking showed us embarrassingly way of the pace. Seriously, WTF?

How many players were going down with injuries in the pre-season? Again, WTF!

The same players with the same injuries keep breaking down. GAGF!!

Does anyone remember Kobe Mutch? Plays 2 minutes of a senior game early in the season and snaps a hamstring in half. Is he still on life support?? Has anyone seen him since?

Strength & Conditioning lol :lol:
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Ok mate,you are much closer there than I am,so fair enough from your angle.

If they are still there and asked about that situation,I’ll bet they’ll have their own reasons why that happened and if need be,Stake their Reputations on it!

It mightn’t make much difference if they are politely told,the Club is heading in another direction,therefore they leave.But I’ll be interested to see what happens with their department.

If they go Kicking and Screaming though,you could see an Awfull lot of finger pointing though and maybe it’s someone else that gets their Marching Orders!

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 am
F111 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 am

Agree with your thoughts in general. Think you've undersold Snelling though. He's been very good in that small forward role. And he can play midfield too - it's what he had been doing when we drafted him.
And I don't think having AMT & Mosquito (if he makes it - still very raw) is enough. I reckon we need 3 smalls in the forward line. Look at Cats, Pies, Tiges, even Eagles. 2 or at most 3 tall types. But we keep persisting with a combination of at least 4 of Daniher, McKernan, Stringer, Brown, Laverde, Begley.
Oops, almost forgot Devon Smith. Add him in. But even then, we need some depth players in the VFL for that role. Had hoped Houlahan would come along, but he's not been setting the world on fire.
Yes, re Snelling, not so much an undersell, more a comparo re: historic importance. I do like what he has to offer.
Bags is gone and he had some moderate success up forward. Begley will need to show a lot in 2020 given this year sees him recovered from the ACL. Confidence etc in his body...but he hasn't set the world on fire either.

I'm looking forward to Smith next year but fear it might mean DClarke misses game time. I'd like to see Clarke get some time into the inside mid role verses run with. Laverde might be gone by the sounds of it. Maybe Smith & Stringer can do a rotation thru the middle.

When Daniher returns, I'd hope he has matured his footy brain. He does some sensational stuff but surprises with some dopey play at times too. Importantly, he allows the other lesser talls off the leash a tad. Stringer will be an immediate benefactor. Brown, Smack, Stewart might compete for one or two forward spots?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am
grassy1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 am

Clear the f****** decks with that lot. IMO, they had been absolutely shithouse.

The start to our season was bloody pathetic. The whole team looked underdone, slow, and unfit. GPS tracking showed us embarrassingly way of the pace. Seriously, WTF?

How many players were going down with injuries in the pre-season? Again, WTF!

The same players with the same injuries keep breaking down. GAGF!!

Does anyone remember Kobe Mutch? Plays 2 minutes of a senior game early in the season and snaps a hamstring in half. Is he still on life support?? Has anyone seen him since?

Strength & Conditioning lol :lol:
Isn't Justin "The Windy Hill Ripper" Crow moving on?

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:04 pm

I am pretty sure Crow has finished at Bomberland.

The fitness conditioning and medical area needs to be totally overhauled and I dont mean getting in sus dudes like Dank and the weapon.
Regards

MH_Bomber