2020 - the optimist

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nudder12
Regular Senior Player

2020 - the optimist

Post by nudder12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:50 am

Less injuries. More time playing together as a unit.
Improvement from the younger players - Parish, McGrath, Redman, Guelfi, Francis, Mutch.
Better depth with the development of Zerk-Thatcher, Mynott, D.Clarke, Draper, Houlahan, Gown, Mosquito, Jok, Ham.
Better coaching panel .
2019 has given us glimpses of what we're capable of. At our best we can compete with the best.
With these things to look forward to, we can expect better consistency, and a couple more wins.
With a couple more wins we can make top 4. I think this is crucial. It means we have more experience in finals, and we're less likely to feel the pressure like we have over the last 15 years. And we can afford to lose a first final and then bounce back. Or at least gain that experience to be ready for 2021.
Not a popular opinion I know, waiting for 2021. But our demographics suggest we'll be prime for then. And a moment's reflection on 2019 Elimination Final - we played the 2018 Premier. They had at least 11 players with over 150 games experience, as well as numerous final's experience. And they'd been embarrassed last round and lost a top 4 chance, looking for redemption.
With rare exceptions, you need finals experience and some burning pain to bounce back from, before you succeed. I reckon 2020/21 is our window.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: 2020 - the optimist

Post by grassy1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 am

Hope you are right Nudder.

I don’t share your confidence,but you’ve analysed it far more than I could do.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:51 am

grassy1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 am
Hope you are right Nudder.

I don’t share your confidence,but you’ve analysed it far more than I could do.
A refreshing change to the usual responses that I'm an idiot and we need to sack the coach!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 am

nudder12 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:50 am
Less injuries. More time playing together as a unit.
Improvement from the younger players - Parish, McGrath, Redman, Guelfi, Francis, Mutch.
Better depth with the development of Zerk-Thatcher, Mynott, D.Clarke, Draper, Houlahan, Gown, Mosquito, Jok, Ham.
Better coaching panel .
2019 has given us glimpses of what we're capable of. At our best we can compete with the best.
With these things to look forward to, we can expect better consistency, and a couple more wins.
With a couple more wins we can make top 4. I think this is crucial. It means we have more experience in finals, and we're less likely to feel the pressure like we have over the last 15 years. And we can afford to lose a first final and then bounce back. Or at least gain that experience to be ready for 2021.
Not a popular opinion I know, waiting for 2021. But our demographics suggest we'll be prime for then. And a moment's reflection on 2019 Elimination Final - we played the 2018 Premier. They had at least 11 players with over 150 games experience, as well as numerous final's experience. And they'd been embarrassed last round and lost a top 4 chance, looking for redemption.
With rare exceptions, you need finals experience and some burning pain to bounce back from, before you succeed. I reckon 2020/21 is our window.

Problem is we have all said much the same thing at one or more points over the last 15 years. Yet nothing changes. Just excuses.

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 am

The only optimism I have is blind faith. We have only a few elite ball users to punish opposition. It’s great that there’s plenty of youth coming through, but most are short skinny kids getting completely monstered evidenced from last night.
None of this swinging a player around in circles or waving your arms to tackle - put your whole body in and let them know about after you’ve slammed them into the turf. There were many McGovern tackles last night that made me wince, they were dead set rugby tackles.

Our team is just too nice. Need more mongrel, get tough and improve disposal cleanliness and I really hope Draper will make a difference in due time.

Btw it’s really easy typing this while sitting in an office. Realistically they will try their best but it likely won’t be better than those with better skills programs such as Hawthorn & co.

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 am

Unless there are significant changes, I am optimistic that I will be just as (if not more) disappointed this time next year...