Essendon A Long Way off the Pace

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon A Long Way off the Pace

Post by Windy_Hill »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:42 pm
Re: Houli

I was watching Foxtel pre game coverage and that had this silly segment Bartlett and Sheedy playfully ribbing each other. Bartlett bought up Houli and Sheedy point blank said it was Hird who influenced him leaving us for “the Tiges”.

That's absolutely untrue....It was Hird who went out of his way to change Houli's mind after Houli requested a trade. Why did he request the trade? Because Knights had refused to play him in the senior team. Despite some very promising signs in his handful of games for the Bombers. It was Knights who suggested he best look elsewhere. Sheedy is full of shit. I even remember Hird asking Houli to meet him for a one on one coffee in an attempt to change his mind.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hou ... 18pss.html

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

We are so far off the pace on and off the ground, it will be a long, long, time before there is a 17th premiership cup on the shelf at Essendon.

It is not just about culture. We became a gutless club after the supplements saga in many ways we still are. Whether there is guilt entrenched in there somewhere for what we failed to do, who knows? More people did stuff and were involved than just the familiar names mentioned over and over. We are weak, the EFC do not stand up for each other that was something also obvious in the saga. We learned to bend over and have continued to do so, although others may dispute this.

Watch the Tigers play, it a pleasure to watch them. It is a long time since we have played like that. I very much doubt in my life time, I will live to
see us win a premiership or even play in a grand final. I think the Tigers will reign supreme for sometime to come. They have also learned to be unselfish and we and many other AFL clubs are the opposite. There is no one at their level and won't be for sometime to come.

Players will want to go and play for them because winning premierships is what the AFL teach and preach. Staff will want to go and work for them and contribute and be a part of it all. Richmond will take over from where Hawthorn and Geelong left off. Much would have to change for us to get a look in. For starters look at our leadership group. In many areas we are a joke, we have been content to be mediocre, to make the 8. When you watched the drumming GWS got from the Tigers. Really they did not put on a display because they didn't have to. Richmond were at three quarter pace and they still thrashed and humiliated GWS. We cannot hold a candle to them and without change, we can expect more of the same.

Someone mentioned rebuild and Essendon in the same breath and people shudder. And yet we need a clean out - its not enough to want to play AFL, or play in a final, where is the desire to be the best. We do not have it. Maybe sometime in the future we may find it but not the way we play the game we need to lift on every level. The bench mark now are Richmond. We are Ninthmond, they are no longer.

Congratulations Richmond you are very worthy champions.
Last edited by mdso on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Agree mdso,though a small point of correction if I may.

We are Ninthdon.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 »

We may be a long way off First, but we are really close to 2nd :)
Tiges GWS.jpg
Tiges GWS.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 940 times

DC2
High Draft Pick

Post by DC2 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:53 pm
MH_Bomber wrote:

I was watching Foxtel pre game coverage and that had this silly segment Bartlett and Sheedy playfully ribbing each other. Bartlett bought up Houli and Sheedy point blank said it was Hird who influenced him leaving us for “the Tiges”.

That's absolutely untrue....It was Hird who went out of his way to change Houli's mind after Houli requested a trade. Why did he request the trade? Because Knights had refused to play him in the senior team. Despite some very promising signs in his handful of games for the Bombers. It was Knights who suggested he best look elsewhere. Sheedy is full of shit. I even remember Hird asking Houli to meet him for a one on one coffee in an attempt to change his mind.

thanks for posting this as i was just about to and you saved me some time.

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Completely agree with the envy expressed at how Richmond are a powerhouse right now and will continue to be for a while yet. They take their chances, yes they buggered up 2018 against a white hot Collingwood but it taught them a big finals lesson. 2/2 in grand finals - that’s simply awesome.
I was at the family day yesterday for the 2nd time in 3 years and it’s inspiring and it hurts so much to see the club and players give so much back to their fans. Their administration is faultless and it flows to the coach who has a real relationship and care for his teammates.

Essendon in comparison are not a long way off the pace. For the first time in memory I have no belief we can ever get back to a powerhouse club and win a grand final in the next 30 years at least.
To make our outlook sadder, both hawthorn and Carlton (and bulldogs even) are getting their lists together with ingredients to make a solid run for the next decade, while our club will be in denial that we’ve got the talent but are just unlucky year after year.

One thing that stands out in my envy for the tigers is the location of the home ground right next to the mcg for accessibility, And then they can block off the entire swan st for an after party. If and when the bombers do win again then where is the come together celebration? Catching Ubers to the airport and blocking off the runway?

hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:53 pm
MH_Bomber wrote:

This!!!!

Sheedy always revisits history with his own particular spin...... thinking, hoping, that the rest of us have his same amnesia or dementia.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bpdons wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:04 am
I was at the family day yesterday for the 2nd time in 3 years and it’s inspiring and it hurts so much to see the club and players give so much back to their fans. Their administration is faultless and it flows to the coach who has a real relationship and care for his teammates.
This is a complete reversal of club’s fortunes virtually 40 apart (1981 onwards). Tigers were beginning their decline while we were building our dynasty under Sheedy. Our club became a place to be admired and feared. Supporters were treated with great affection by the club, and we all felt part of the journey. That is Richmond now. We have become the Richmond of the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s - a stinking pile of mediocrity.

Richmond languished for 37 years. Ours languishing has just ticked over 19.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

grassy1 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:15 pm

We are Ninthdon. WE ARE NINTHDONE.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:24 pm
bpdons wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:04 am
This is a complete reversal of club’s fortunes virtually 40 apart (1981 onwards). Tigers were beginning their decline while we were building our dynasty under Sheedy. Our club became a place to be admired and feared. Supporters were treated with great affection by the club, and we all felt part of the journey. That is Richmond now. We have become the Richmond of the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s - a stinking pile of mediocrity.

Richmond languished for 37 years. Ours languishing has just ticked over 19.
Should have been only 35,from the ‘82 GF which the Scum stole.But otherwise,I agree with what you say here.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

mdso wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:27 pm
grassy1 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:15 pm

We are Ninthdon. WE ARE NINTHDONE.
Yes,that too. :(

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Three years in a row we have gone 12-10 in the H&A season. On two occasions we embarrassed the club and fans with inept elimination final losses.

Where are the alarm bells?

Where is the pain??

I get that the players have to go on their end of season jaunts - god forbid they miss out on a stunning sunset over the beaches at Molokai for their Instagram accounts. Still, the borderline guys should be in the gym next week or the boxing ring.

Our club is weak as piss....there's the problem. Worsfold was a great baby sitter during 2016 but his touchy feely approach has turned us into the footballing version of the Teddy Bear's picnic. Heppell, who is a great guy from all accounts is not the right man to be leading this team. The problem is, I dont know who should be. That's how bad our on field leaders are.

If I was to pick I would throw the captain's armband at Adam Saad or Devon Smith....even Paddy Ambrose. Guys that play with guts and passion and have a touch of mongrel in them. Heppell will be a better player for us when he stops talking in Harvard Business School motherhood statements and can simply focus on playing. I wouldnt go with McGrath yet as I think he needs to concentrate on becoming a great player. He hasnt reached that level yet.

Something has to give. we need leadership more than ever.