The Five Things that Need to Happen if We are to be Relevant Again

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

The Five Things that Need to Happen if We are to be Relevant Again

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Something has to give if this football club is to make the next step and again become relevant and a serious finals contender. If these things don’t happen then it’s making up numbers time again in 2020.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and opinions

1. The Obvious Avenue - Fit and firing Daniher, Fantasia and Smith immediately makes us a better and more potent team. I would like to think that their addition will result in a net gain of somewhere between 40 to 60 goals or about a two and a half goal better team. That could translate into potentially 2 additional wins and a top 6 perhaps even top 4 result.

2. Taking the Next Step - We need the likes of McGrath, Francis and Parish to become Top 50 standard AFL payers. These three are Top 5 picks and need to now stamp their authority on games.

3. Hang on for One More Season - There were some worrying signs with form and fitness from stalwarts Hurley and Hooker. We need both to hold their form and impact for one more year while understudies are given further time to develop or be brought into the club. Zerk-Thatcher is an obvious candidate to replace one of the aging War Horses, perhaps Francis is the other although I suspect we will need a taller option in the long term.

4. Consistency - in general, possibly our greatest weakness. Perhaps a more viable game plan will ensure that measures are in place to deal with varying game scenarios. Last season we looked lost against teams who shut down our run through the corridor and had no ability to change gears when needed. Consistency also applies to specific players and while Stringer and Walla bring X factor, they need to be doing it on a more regular basis.

5. Organic Improvement from players 15 to 25 - our quality drops away very quickly. A solid top 15 players but depth, especially in the mid field is a glaring weakness. This means that players like Langford, Guelfi, Ham, Mutch, Clarke, Ridley, Laverde etc have to collectively improve by 10% to 20%.

What do you guys think, what other areas do we need to become better in if we are to again be relevant?

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: The Five Things that Need to Happen if We are to be Relevant Again

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Dunno where to begin. It’s probably easier just to point to some horrendously consistent flaws...

1. Pre-season is always an abomination at our club. It is just absolutely disgraceful how we hit pre-season matches in such shitfull condition, and executing disgusting disposal. All this with the supposed “state of the art” facilities. When the actual f*** will we hit R1 in cherry ripe condition?

2. Losing to pissant clubs year after year. Will 2020 also have that inexplicable “Hall of Shame” performance? The last 15 years tells us YESSSSS!

3. Chronic injuries to the same chronic players because our fitness department are amateurish at best. Will the new crew have a clue???

4. Our Clanger Hangar statistics are outta this world. Will we suddenly resemble a half decent footy team with some sort of skill? Our last 15 years tells us FAT f****** CHANCE!

5. Are we actually ready to go past all the “reintegration, getting the chemistry right, getting used to new game plan, being patient” phases? Or will there just be another phase of getting used to Rutto being 2nd in command?

I just suspect more of the same shit in general...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:32 pm
Dunno where to begin. It’s probably easier just to point to some horrendously consistent flaws...

1. Pre-season is always an abomination at our club. It is just absolutely disgraceful how we hit pre-season matches in such shitfull condition, and executing disgusting disposal. All this with the supposed “state of the art” facilities. When the actual f*** will we hit R1 in cherry ripe condition?

2. Losing to pissant clubs year after year. Will 2020 also have that inexplicable “Hall of Shame” performance? The last 15 years tells us YESSSSS!

3. Chronic injuries to the same chronic players because our fitness department are amateurish at best. Will the new crew have a clue???

4. Our Clanger Hangar statistics are outta this world. Will we suddenly resemble a half decent footy team with some sort of skill? Our last 15 years tells us FAT f****** CHANCE!

5. Are we actually ready to go past all the “reintegration, getting the chemistry right, getting used to new game plan, being patient” phases? Or will there just be another phase of getting used to Rutto being 2nd in command?

Response:
1. Since the bulldust Tokyo experiences and the quirky survival camps what can I say?

3. and 4. may be addressed by recruiting footballers rather than athletes.

Good luck
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:37 am

Whichever way we cut it,we have an Awfull lot of work to do to improve in any measure.

We had our excuses for 1 year when we basically had a Rookie Group Bust their Arses for us quite admirably.

The Results mightn’t have suggested that,but that wasn’t their Fault.

But that’s long ago now and What’s happened since has been OUR FAULT,starting with the list Ben mentioned!

So,what are we at Essendon Football Club going to DO about it?!

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:19 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Response:
1. Since the bulldust Tokyo experiences and the quirky survival camps what can I say?

3. and 4. may be addressed by recruiting footballers rather than athletes.

Good luck
Yeah I liked the weird Point Cook camp where they had to crawl around in mud up to their necks dragging cables through the slime. Was hoping it was going to rain all year after that preparation but we never got a drop. Just a bunch of guys who looked like they needed a good night's sleep when it got to game one :roll:

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 pm
Something has to give if this football club is to make the next step and again become relevant and a serious finals contender. If these things don’t happen then it’s making up numbers time again in 2020.

1. The Obvious Avenue - Fit and firing Daniher, Fantasia and Smith immediately makes us a better and more potent team. I would like to think that their addition will result in a net gain of somewhere between 40 to 60 goals or about a two and a half goal better team. That could translate into potentially 2 additional wins and a top 6 perhaps even top 4 result.

2. Taking the Next Step - We need the likes of McGrath, Francis and Parish to become Top 50 standard AFL payers. These three are Top 5 picks and need to now stamp their authority on games.

3. Hang on for One More Season - There were some worrying signs with form and fitness from stalwarts Hurley and Hooker. We need both to hold their form and impact for one more year while understudies are given further time to develop or be brought into the club. Zerk-Thatcher is an obvious candidate to replace one of the aging War Horses, perhaps Francis is the other although I suspect we will need a taller option in the long term.

4. Consistency - in general, possibly our greatest weakness. Perhaps a more viable game plan will ensure that measures are in place to deal with varying game scenarios. Last season we looked lost against teams who shut down our run through the corridor and had no ability to change gears when needed. Consistency also applies to specific players and while Stringer and Walla bring X factor, they need to be doing it on a more regular basis.

5. Organic Improvement from players 15 to 25 - our quality drops away very quickly. A solid top 15 players but depth, especially in the mid field is a glaring weakness. This means that players like Langford, Guelfi, Ham, Mutch, Clarke, Ridley, Laverde etc have to collectively improve by 10% to 20%.

What do you guys think, what other areas do we need to become better in if we are to again be relevant?
1. Daniher is vital. Exactly why Dodoro didn't give an inch during Trade Period. Woosha had said many times during the year that we were building the team around him. Fantasia and Smith will be icing on the cake.
2. Agree those 3 need to step up. Parish & McGrath need to improve composure and disposal. Francis needs to become more reliable and less mercurial.
3. Hooker might be in his twilight, but I think he's better than late 2019 showed when he was limited by injury. Agreed that Francis may not be the size required. I also disagree with many who think he'll replace Hooker, because I don't think he's much good one-on-one.
4. I think the gameplan is probably 98% OK. What is needed is a 100% commitment to it. A resilient team, that works for each other. When we get shut down it's because players aren't prepared to do the hard work to overcome it. AKA winning ugly.
5. I think this issue is more related to 4. We don't need "great" individual players. Just people playing their role.

Overall, I think getting 4 right will make the biggest difference.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:13 pm

nudder12 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 pm

1. Daniher is vital. Exactly why Dodoro didn't give an inch during Trade Period. Woosha had said many times during the year that we were building the team around him. Fantasia and Smith will be icing on the cake.
2. Agree those 3 need to step up. Parish & McGrath need to improve composure and disposal. Francis needs to become more reliable and less mercurial.
3. Hooker might be in his twilight, but I think he's better than late 2019 showed when he was limited by injury. Agreed that Francis may not be the size required. I also disagree with many who think he'll replace Hooker, because I don't think he's much good one-on-one.
4. I think the gameplan is probably 98% OK. What is needed is a 100% commitment to it. A resilient team, that works for each other. When we get shut down it's because players aren't prepared to do the hard work to overcome it. AKA winning ugly.
5. I think this issue is more related to 4. We don't need "great" individual players. Just people playing their role.

Overall, I think getting 4 right will make the biggest difference.
Well said Nudder but naturally it still scares the s**t out of me. :shock: Hope Dodoro and Co know more than we know!

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:56 am

Perhaps some of the Percy Cerrety method. As an athlete we always did part of preseason at Portsea. Running up and down the sand dunes and running along the beach and in the water dragging a tyre on a rope.

Firstly running up and down the sand dunes gave our group strength, grit, will and determination. Then running along the beach and in the water dragging a tyre was really tough and it sorted the chaff from the wheat but gave us all endurance, inner strength, grit and core strength.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:17 pm

mdso wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:56 am
Perhaps some of the Percy Cerrety method. As an athlete we always did part of preseason at Portsea. Running up and down the sand dunes and running along the beach and in the water dragging a tyre on a rope.

Firstly running up and down the sand dunes gave our group strength, grit, will and determination. Then running along the beach and in the water dragging a tyre was really tough and it sorted the chaff from the wheat but gave us all endurance, inner strength, grit and core strength.
Then along came Scott Gumbleton...snap...crackle...pop
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:17 pm
mdso wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:56 am

Then along came Scott Gumbleton...snap...crackle...pop
Isn't someone building an artificial surfing pool behind the new digs? Could schedule some activities there (and then head down to the Mickleham Road Maccas for a happy meal)
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Then over to the airport for a few drinks.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.