Remember The Days When...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Remember The Days When...

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:19 am

We could recruit a young punk who could leap over packs, take a screamer, slot goals from outside 50, and kick a ton of goals by the age of 21?

Remember the days when we could recruit a young gun who would soar over packs, crash through packs, dive in front of packs, while being able to grab the ball, bounce up, sprint away, turn defence into attack with monotonous ease, while hitting our forwards on the tit at full tilt? And win a Brownlow by the age of 20?

Remember the days when we could recruit a key position player who had the ability to win a best & fairest at either end of the ground?

Remember the days when we could recruit a bloke in the 6th round in the draft (club’s 7th pick) and watch him turn into the 3rd best champion the club has produced behind Dick Reynolds and John Coleman?

Remember the days we could recruit guys with limited abilities but were able to bust packs and put their bodies on the line for the benefit of team success - and who could win club best & fairests ahead of more star qualitied teammates?

Reeeeeeemember???
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Re: Remember The Days When...

Post by s'dreams » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Yeah but we started plaing those players at age 16 so they had 5 seasons under the belt by the time they were 21.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:05 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm
Yeah but we started plaing those players at age 16 so they had 5 seasons under the belt by the time they were 21.
Because they had footballing ability...

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm

s'dreams wrote:
kids today have never been better prepared for the rigours of AFL...at 16 they have been playing the game for years in elite level underage comps. I just read the James Hird Academy newsletter and they are developing 11 year olds!!.

Let's not make excuses....our recruiting of kids has been appalling for many years now. Where is our gun kid...they simply dont exist.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm
s'dreams wrote:
kids today have never been better prepared for the rigours of AFL...at 16 they have been playing the game for years in elite level underage comps. I just read the James Hird Academy newsletter and they are developing 11 year olds!!.

Let's not make excuses....our recruiting has been appalling for many years now. Where is our gun kid...they simply dont exist.
Fixed

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am

It’s been so long, I can’t remember...

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am

Crazyman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am
It’s been so long, I can’t remember...
Yes,3 Finals Series since the start of 1979 and just 2 Bermagui Bronze’s to show,.......

Sorry,wrong Red and Black Team. :o #-o :-"

It’s still good to have Essendon in my corner,because of the past 42 years my way!

Well 41,without that bloody day on September 23,1978. :-& :evil: :roll:
Last edited by grassy1 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

Let's not make excuses....our recruiting of kids has been appalling for many years now. Where is our gun kid...they simply dont exist.
How many drafts have there been where we were penalised by 'sanctions' due to what ever the f*** they could pin on us?. 2? 3??

Without which, who fkng knows, we could have a Cripps, Walsh, Kelly or any other young gun running around with us.

Those sanctions were intended to hurt us and weaken us, AND THEY DID. c****... You can`t draft young guns if you aint participating in the draft to begin with.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm

desmondo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

How many drafts have there been where we were penalised by 'sanctions' due to what ever the f*** they could pin on us?. 2? 3??

Without which, who fkng knows, we could have a Cripps, Walsh, Kelly or any other young gun running around with us.

Those sanctions were intended to hurt us and weaken us, AND THEY DID. c****... You can`t draft young guns if you aint participating in the draft to begin with.
Or equally how many high draft picks have we botched in the 17 years since 2000 that were not compromised by penalties.

The fact is we have not drafted a genuinely Elite player since the 90s. Some very good players but to date, none have achieved Elite status. Our best 2 players brought into the club in 20 years are the Father Son selections of Watson and Daniher. Hurley, Heppell, Hooker and Merret have been very good. McGrath could become Elite. Fantasia and Walla have been great but nowhere near Elite...yet.

I dont know the numbers but lets assume we have brought into the club 120 new players since 2000 via drafting. If we say the above mentioned players represent the best, then they represent less thsn 7% of all players drafted.

These numbers may well be typical of all teams but I think if you look at Mike Sheahan's Annual Top 50 players over that time frame, we are perennially under represented.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 pm

I realize this is not entirely conclusive as All Australian representation does not make a player Elite...it could be that the player had a one off great year in a successful team. It’s also very subjective in its nature. Also, the numbers below are not individual players but simply the number of times a club provided an All Australian. In some cases the numbers are misleading as one player may have been selected multiple times. Nevertheless, it does, over a 15 year span from 2005 to 2019 clearly demonstrates our dirth of quality players. The list is ordered from highest to lowest representing total AA selections

GEE. 47
WCE. 31
COL. 27
HAW. 26
SYD. 26
ADE. 23
WB. 23
RIC. 20
STK. 17
FRE. 16
POR. 15
CAR. 11
GWS. 9
ESS. 9
MEL. 8
NOR. 8
BRI. 7
GCS. 4

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm
desmondo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Windy_Hill wrote:
s'dreams wrote:

Or equally how many high draft picks have we botched in the 17 years since 2000 that were not compromised by penalties.

The fact is we have not drafted a genuinely Elite player since the 90s. Some very good players but to date, none have achieved Elite status. Our best 2 players brought into the club in 20 years are the Father Son selections of Watson and Daniher. Hurley, Heppell, Hooker and Merret have been very good. McGrath could become Elite. Fantasia and Walla have been great but nowhere near Elite...yet.

I dont know the numbers but lets assume we have brought into the club 120 new players since 2000 via drafting. If we say the above mentioned players represent the best, then they represent less thsn 7% of all players drafted.

These numbers may well be typical of all teams but I think if you look at Mike Sheahan's Annual Top 50 players over that time frame, we are perennially under represented.
Yep, SPOT ON!

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Once upon a time there was the Bombers
Where we used to win a flag or two
Remember how we laughed away the games
And think of all the great things we would do
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd win and prance forever and a day
We'd played the way we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la La la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you At the footy
We'd smile at one another and we'd say
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Just last year I stood there in the outer
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was this Bomber team first degree
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
la la la la la la
La la la la la la
Through the draft there came familiar laughter
I saw their form and heard us call their names
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

...Slight edit to last stanza
Last edited by MH_Bomber on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

MH_Bomber

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Very good MH :lol: =D> :-"

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm

BD the phrase ‘Remember the Days When...’ just brought that old song to mind. :D
Regards

MH_Bomber

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:23 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm
BD the phrase ‘Remember the Days When...’ just brought that old song to mind. :D
Yes, and thanks to you, I can’t get that tune outta my head! :lol:

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm

:D I always liked that song when I was a kid. It reminded me of young radicals living poor and hard and trying to change the world.

If I hear it now I inevitably sing along to it.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Nice job MH...should be adopted as the club song until we get our mojo back.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 pm

On a cold and boring Sat night, I have gone through the draft since 2000 and have listed our First round picks or our highest pick that year. Better/more longevity players from that year are in brackets after the first pick.

In doing this exercise - there was certainly some crap selected, while some players have kicked on...

Even sadder - a shit load of #2 picks never played or only played a handful of inconsequential games.
Year Pick No
2000 #17 James Davies (#27 Ted Richards 2nd Round)
2001 #18 Shane Harvey (#47 Andrew Welsh)
2002 #10 Jason Laycock
2002 #11 Jason Winderlich (F/S #40 Jobe Watson)
2003 #6 Kepler Bradley
2003 #13 Brent Stanton
2004 #14 Angus Monfries
2005 #7 Patrick Ryder
2005 #19 Courtenay Dempsey
2006 #2 Scott Gumbleton (#42 Bachar Houli)
2006 #18 Leroy Jetta (priority)
2007 #6 David Myers (#54 Cale Hooker)
2008 #5 Michael Hurley
2009 #10 Jake Melksham
2010 #8 Dyson Heppell
2011 #19 Elliott Kavanagh
2012 #10 Joe Daniher (F/S)
2013 #26 Zach Merrett (Sanctions, Pick traded for Crameri)
2014 #17 Kyle Langford
2014 #20 Jayden Laverde (Compensation pick – no further picks in 2014)
2015 #5 Darcy Parish
2015 #6 Aaron Francis
2016 #1 Andrew McGrath
2017 #49 Jordan Houlahan (earlier picks used on Saad, Stringer, Smith)
2018 #38 Irving Mosquito (Earlier picks tied up in trades)

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am

Laycock, Bradley, Myers, Gumbleton, Shane Harvey, and James Davies...those selections derailed our squad for 10 years.

I know it’s a lottery but just think if we had been super smart with our picks. The list below shows players selected after our choice. And there were many other great players we could have taken instead of those mentioned ( eg Cyril Rioli as opposed to Dangerfield in 2007)

Daniel Kerr instead of James Davies
Steve Johnson instead of Shane Harvey
Kade Simpson instead of Jason Laycock
Michael Rischitelli instead of Kepler Bradley
Joel Selwood instead of Scott Gumbleton
Patrick Dangerfield instead of David Myers

All 6 players above would have formed the nucleus of a team transitioning from the Baby Bomber/2000 greats and would have delivered another 2
flags

Totally hypothetical but it just goes to show.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 am
Laycock, Bradley, Myers, Gumbleton, Shane Harvey, and James Davies...those selections derailed our squad for 10 years.

I know it’s a lottery but just think if we had been super smart with our picks. The list below shows players selected after our choice. And there were many other great players we could have taken instead of those mentioned ( eg Cyril Rioli as opposed to Dangerfield in 2007)

Daniel Kerr instead of James Davies
Steve Johnson instead of Shane Harvey
Kade Simpson instead of Jason Laycock
Michael Rischitelli instead of Kepler Bradley
Joel Selwood instead of Scott Gumbleton
Patrick Dangerfield instead of David Myers

All 6 players above would have formed the nucleus of a team transitioning from the Baby Bomber/2000 greats and would have delivered another 2
flags

Totally hypothetical but it just goes to show.
What ifs are always fun,,,,

Kerr would likely not have come over from Perth.
Johnson at the bombers during the disrupted years would have been a disaster for him and us. Geelong had to severely pull his horns in. Not sure we had the culture to pull him back.
Simpson was selected 4th round - so 16 clubs overlooked him 3 times. A more appropriate selection would have been Will Minson.

2003 draft was surprisingly ordinary - apart from the F/S selections only Beau Waters and David Mundy really were of note after dear old Kepler

Danger don't bother me too much , but Cyril Rioli had worked at EFC and was being mentored (while at Scotch) by Michael Long and Derek Kickett. But Dorodo didn't rate him despite him being the "standout" of the U18 championships. 4 premiership medals, a Norm Smith and 3 AA's hurt bad.