Draft

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Draft

Post by boncer34 »

Well we're on the board tonight.

Few surprises last night, I'm still a little bemused by Melbourne taking Jackson at 3 and then following up with Pickett at 12. Also annoyed at the free hit the clubs prior to Carlton gave to GWS for Green, they were always going to match him so why not hold them accountable?

The promising thing is with a few clubs "reaching" ie Melbourne with Pickett, Hawthorn with Day and Port with Georgiades there is still plenty of top end talent to be taken in the next 15 - 20 picks, which luckily we hold 2.

What do we want with our picks? Personally I would like us to look hard at Riccardi, I get he's a mature age recruit (Only 20) but I still want him in the 30s. A 20 year old KPF who has shown he can play well at VFL? He fills what I think is still a massive hole for us, KPF. Especially if Joey leaves.

The other one I want to us to try for is Chirgwin, a big bodied midfielder who does his best work at the stoppages. We could probably do with one of those.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Draft

Post by F111 »

Gone tall.
Essendon clearly worried about its tall stocks. Added tall forward Harrison Jones and followed it with ruckman Nick Bryan
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Good luck to the new kids, but fmd, great to see we addressed our need for hard tough inside mids that can use the pill 🙄
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Dodoro is a modern day alchemist. Still trying to figure out how we can turn shit into gold.

We go from no rucks in the latter half of last season to 4

The combined weight of the players we drafted is barely more than a bag of Windy Hill peanuts

Our great deficiency, no inside midfielder, remains unchallenged.

Having said that, I wish the new lads all the best and let’s hope they don’t have their no doubt promising futures derailed by our third world physios
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

“third world physios”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Most interestingly, Draper was not promoted off the rookie list to the main list (but he has a multi-year contracts) - make of that what you will

We selected 4 kids with the draft (one only just turned 18), and I think that none of these kids will get a run next year. Some may take 3 years to get their first game (a stick bean of a ruck and an underweight KPF spring to mind).

So we cut 6 from the main list and drafted 4 and traded in 2 (so no change)

We cut 4 rookies and 2 Cat B rookies. Interesting to see that we are trying to claim both Irish recruits as Cat B's (not the rule) so we would have a max of 4 rookies left (more likely 3 rookie spots given one of the Irish payers will have to go full rookie) or I believe one main list and 2 or 3 rookies still an option. We may still get Chirgwin (though I wonder what the knock is on him).

Consequently - all the names thrown around as potential (Moore, Townsend, ummm- I know there was another) are looking less likely to be brought in as delisted/off contract players.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:25 pm Most interestingly, Draper was not promoted off the rookie list to the main list (but he has a multi-year contracts) - make of that what you will

We selected 4 kids with the draft (one only just turned 18), and I think that none of these kids will get a run next year. Some may take 3 years to get their first game (a stick bean of a ruck and an underweight KPF spring to mind).

So we cut 6 from the main list and drafted 4 and traded in 2 (so no change)

We cut 4 rookies and 2 Cat B rookies. Interesting to see that we are trying to claim both Irish recruits as Cat B's (not the rule) so we would have a max of 4 rookies left (more likely 3 rookie spots given one of the Irish payers will have to go full rookie) or I believe one main list and 2 or 3 rookies still an option. We may still get Chirgwin (though I wonder what the knock is on him).

Consequently - all the names thrown around as potential (Moore, Townsend, ummm- I know there was another) are looking less likely to be brought in as delisted/off contract players.
OK- spots still available as we recruited only one rookie (Mitch HIbbard who was cut from North in 2018). Dorodo would love Hibbard as he is classed as an "elite" runner.

Forgot we added Snelling to Rookie list so theoretically there are one or two spots still available for pre-season last chance selections (rookies or main list players).

There must be a real knock on Chirgwin as nobody took him while kids who sat out most of the year injured were picked up.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Dodoro would love Hibbard as he is classed as an "elite" runner
Got him👍 191cm, 90kg

....so where does that leave Townsend?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

F111 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 am
Dodoro would love Hibbard as he is classed as an "elite" runner
Got him👍 191cm, 90kg

....so where does that leave Townsend?
Can be added under the AFL's pre-season supplemental selection rules.

It would look like we would be picking him up because GWS had given a commitment to draft hm as a rookie. They didn't.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Re Draper, 2020 is the last year of his rookie deal so he can stay on as rookie, but must be upgraded for 2020.

Given he’ll miss most of next cause of his ACL, it’s a good thing for him and club.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Nor so much draft related but Supplemental Stupid Draft Spots...

Apparently we are keeping a spot on our list empty so we can fill it (if needed) through the supplemental selection period or mid-season draft.

I suspect that may have more to do with salary cap tightness than "the opportunity to draft the next Marlon Pickett" (as if we would take the chance).
Essendon will assess injury-hit squad before making decision on adding state league player next season
Jay Clark, December 16, 2019 6:51pm

Essendon will consider grabbing a state league talent if their injury crisis continues.

Essendon has kept an available list spot up its sleeve to add another from the state leagues next year.

The Bombers have kept open the last remaining position and can target another player through either the supplemental selection period or mid-season draft, if required.

Collingwood looks set to give its last spot to veteran defender Lynden Dunn, Hawthorn is eyeing Darren Minchington, while Greater Western Sydney may not fill its remaining vacancy.

Melbourne is set to elevate former Gold Coast and Fremantle speedster Harley Bennell if the gun midfielder can overcome his constant run of calf injuries.

The Demons are adamant they will take a cautious and patient approach with the former No. 2 pick but are confident about his ability to make a full recovery.

West Coast could revive the career of former GWS and Carlton livewire Jarrod Pickett.

Essendon’s list option could act as an important safety net in case the club is hit by more injury trouble in the early part of next year.

In particular, the club could look to another key position prospect depending on the fitness of some of its most important big men next year.

The Bombers have only 23 fit players in main training after copping one of the worst injury rates in the competition late in 2019.

But the club is confident stars including Dyson Heppell (foot), star defender Michael Hurley (shoulder) and speedster Orazio Fantasia (hip) are all on track to be available for the Round 1 clash against Fremantle.

However, there remains question mark over Joe Daniher’s likely recovery timeline as the gun spearhead works to return from almost two years out with a serious groin injury.

Daniher continues to follow a modified training program after having surgery to help correct the debilitating problem which dogged him through the early part of this year.

Forward Mitch Brown was also delisted, while young key forward Noah Gown fractured his foot for a second time at training last week.

It means the Bombers could turn to forward prongs Shaun McKernan and James Stewart early in the season to lead the forward division if Daniher is still unavailable for selection.

Essendon added former Carlton and GWS ruckman Andrew Phillips to support veteran Tom Bellchambers and Sam Draper, who is on the comeback from a knee reconstruction.

Clubs have until March to add another player in the supplemental selection period which Richmond used to recruit excitement machine Sydney Stack.

John Worsfold’s men have another spot after putting new draftee Lachie Johnson, the son of Brisbane Lions’ great Chris Johnson, on the inactive list
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Essendon will assess injury-hit squad before making decision on adding state league player next season
What’s to assess? They’re f****** injured.
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Apparently this bloke is on our radar to take the last place on our list, I don`t know how he plays but he sure looks like a tough nut. :wink:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/321011/coul ... list-spot-
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:10 pm Apparently this bloke is on our radar to take the last place on our list, I don`t know how he plays but he sure looks like a tough nut. :wink:

Strange - I though we were desperately seeking mids... Come draft time - we select anything but.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:00 pm
desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:10 pm Apparently this bloke is on our radar to take the last place on our list, I don`t know how he plays but he sure looks like a tough nut. :wink:

Strange - I though we were desperately seeking mids... Come draft time - we select anything but.
Problem solved...Mitch Hibberd and Townsend...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Forgot to welcome each new player,one by one.My apologies boys.A bit slack on my part,but a genuine welcome to you all and wish you all the best on your Careers. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:50 pm
s'dreams wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Problem solved...Mitch Hibberd and Townsend...
Ahhhh, yeah... right.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Logan McDonald

If he ends up in the Red and Black Again,I’ll be overjoyed.

Not sure we will get our hands again,but he’s the talk of the WAFL Town(not just us at Perth),can pluck a Mark out of Nowhere amongst many per game and knows where the Goals are,to the extent he’s pointing to them when he gets within sight of them.

Let’s Get him if we can!
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:08 pm Logan McDonald

If he ends up in the Red and Black Again,I’ll be overjoyed.

Not sure we will get our hands again,but he’s the talk of the WAFL Town(not just us at Perth),can pluck a Mark out of Nowhere amongst many per game and knows where the Goals are,to the extent he’s pointing to them when he gets within sight of them.

Let’s Get him if we can!
What’s the story with this chap? Never heard of him. Is he strutting his stuff in WA?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

He is mate.

He took a while to grow on me,but that was because I rarely saw him last year,as he only played a handful of Colts Matches,dividing his time between us and PSA Duties with Aquinas College.

I have No idea how he slipped through East Fremantle’s net,coming from Applecross.But bloody glad we get to see him at League Level,as opposed to being tied up,with the AFL Program,where he would be left,right and centre,no thanks to them.

But the kid is a Beanpole,a bit light on perhaps,but a joy to watch when he towers over opposition players and just plucks ‘em close to Goal.Perth supporters couldn’t believe their luck,getting an opportunity to see such talent,running around on Saturday Afternoons with Us!

St Kilda have already expressed interest in him and I don’t know where they sit on the Draft pecking order.But they’d better hope no one gets him first.I just hope if we don’t get him,West Coast or Fremantle don’t get him,for fear of seeing him tear us apart with the egirl or dorker reserves. :-&