2020 Leadership Group

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

2020 Leadership Group

Post by Daisy..1 »

Attachments
2020.PNG
2020.PNG (717.21 KiB) Viewed 6710 times
Image]
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Re: 2020 Leadership Group

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Where's Zerrett?

I can understand Daniher, Fantasia & Myers (retired) not being in the leadership group but vice-captain Merrett not selected is baffling.

I believe he has been injured & missed some training sessions but the club, as usual, has not said anything about this.....

Even if Merrett is injured he surely is ahead of Zaka as a leader....
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Totally agree Ronny, Zac should be pissed off at the lame decision NOT to include him in the leadership group.

Apparently the players voted for the people they thought should be in the group. WTF guys, how has Zacs leadership qualities, that he has already shown NOT been good enough.?? #-o :oops: :roll: [-X
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/559710

“We have a very caring group of leaders who, with their teammates, are all committed to setting the culture both on and off the field,” Richardson said.

I don't give a stuff about "caring" and "culture" - I want to see leadership and the ability to stand tall and get others to stand tall. Don't give me corporate speak namby-pamby snowflake wrangling where more time is spent worrying about whether to use "they"or "you" (as in "they f***wit" instead of "you f***wit").
Ronny Rotten wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:39 pm I can understand Daniher, Fantasia & Myers (retired) not being in the leadership group but vice-captain Merrett not selected is baffling.

I believe he has been injured & missed some training sessions but the club, as usual, has not said anything about this.....

Even if Merrett is injured he surely is ahead of Zaka as a leader....
1. Smith is no certainty to play round 1
2. We seem to have a habit of losing our leadership team to retirement or other clubs - perhaps the club didn't want to run the risk.
3. This means that Zaha is going to be favored in selection - bugger.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Yeah sux about Zac.
Hey Ive got a good idea. Why not draw the leadership group from the injured players as they will see the full game every week from the grandstand. And by mid year we'll probably have the best players in that group anyway :D
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

Hahaha...that was my first thought! Most of this lot will be out injured! ](*,) We are Essendon!
Image]
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I cant believe the players didn't consult members of the forums,supporters and media on who to vote for.

Shocked and Appalled I tell ya.

I mean who knows more about the goings on inside the playing group and club than the supporters and media.

Travesty.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

A bit surprising, but it was largely a player vote wasn’t it?

Who knows what conversations were had behind closed doors. Maybe Zerrett wanted a break or something and talked others into not voting him in...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Having a player vote is a ridiculous and problematic system. Half the squad are under 22 and largely just finding their way. Easily influenced and probably scared to rock the boat. Why put such pressure on these guys. Furthermore, how would Zac be feeling today knowing that the public are aware that he was effectively “dismissed” as a leader by his own peers.

The decision on club leaders should be the sole responsibility of the coaching panel and endorsed by the CEO. This sends a very clear message to the team as a whole what the Club’s expectations are. I can only think that the current system cause more disharmony than actually binding the team together.

I have no problem with the choices this year. All represent different qualities and will no doubt embrace their roles. But for me, I prefer the old Captain, Vice Captain structure around which every player is free to display their own leadership both on and off the field as needed
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Last year the "leadership" group was largely the choice of the coaching staff. That worked out well, didn't it?

It has been reported that JD, Fantasia and Zac requested to be not included in the leadership group.
I also understand that a "shortlist" was presented to the payers for voting.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This would have to be the softest leadership group in the AFL. Apologies to Dev Smith.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 pm Last year the "leadership" group was largely the choice of the coaching staff. That worked out well, didn't it?

It has been reported that JD, Fantasia and Zac requested to be not included in the leadership group.
I also understand that a "shortlist" was presented to the payers for voting.
That’s not a fault in the system, it’s a fault with our coaching staff
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

I don’t mind this group.. surprised no Zach but everyone else deserves to be there... Zaha by all reports does push to drive standards in training perhaps that’s why he’s seen as a leader as opposed to being in the best 5 players?? Either way the only thing I want to see this year is a full season from big Joe enjoying his footy again and signing for us mid season!! Is that too much to ask? :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

patoman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 pm Either way the only thing I want to see this year is a full season from big Joe enjoying his footy again and signing for us mid season!! Is that too much to ask? :D
Apparently yes!
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Zak Mezzy a bit stiff! Could it be that Hurls was upset at missing out on leadership last year meant that he got a gig at the expense of Zach? Appears that way. Dunno about Zaka getting in. He’s an odd one. Been around for years and was never seen as a leader, but suddenly is a leader?

IMO, guys like Saad, Stringer, Ambrose should be considered.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Daisy..1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm Image
Looks like the mug shots for a break out from Barwon Prison. Let's hope they play like that and not like actors from the stage show "Rent"
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:00 am
Daisy..1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm Image
Looks like the mug shots for a break out from Barwon Prison. Let's hope they play like that and not like actors from the stage show "Rent"
Haha I know where my expectations lie...