Closed doors footy?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Closed doors footy?

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:01 pm It starts with broadcasters. The AFL is doing whatever it can to honor its Broadcasting Rights revenue. But now is the time for those companies to bite the bullet and waive contractual obligations and continue to honour their financial commitment. The AFL should then use the funds to support the clubs who in turn compensate out of pocket members...ie, their customers.

If Airlines can offer credit notes for cancelled flights, so to should members receive a similar compensation.

But it has to start at the top of the food chain.
More likely the AFL is concerned about the online bookmakers that pour vast amounts of money both to the AFL and the media (radio & TV broadcasters as well as print).

I wonder why Australians are the largest per capita gamblers in the world ... NOT!

Note, per person - Australians average $11,631 on gambling per person per year in turnover (excluding SP and sweeps) - this is 40% more than the next largest country (Singapore) and 60% higher than the USA.

Australia is also the largest in gambling losses - 24 billion Australian dollars (2018), On a per-capita basis, Australians lose far and away the most in the world: more than 1,200 Australian dollars every year more than double the losses in the USA and 50% more than Singapore.

(Source: QLD Government Treasury, https://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/statistics/ ... statistics
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/worl ... hines.html)
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

MH_Bomber wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 pm Speaking of contagion movies anyone see that old flick called The Omega Man with Anthony Zerbe and Charlton Heston? I think it’s also since been remade. The footage of deserted cities is very reminiscent of what’s going on now.

People are worried and anxious with reason especially in terms of how to support their families if there is a lengthy shutdown soon.

The footy will be just weird without crowds. Maybe the season will simply be abandoned.
The old Charlton Heston movie where everyone affected was turning into a blonde sun-phobic hippy ... the start of the 70's was a very strange time :-)

Remade as "I am Legend" with Will Smith - not necessarily for the better.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

by Crazyman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:56 pm

grassy1 wrote: ↑
BenDoolan wrote: ↑
The Demons games are unaffected.
Might make sense if they were Red and Black mate! :lol:
There’s a difference, we still get crowds...
grassy1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:46 pm What,this year?

Right now?

Behind Closed Doors?

You must know a few good ‘uns Crazyman?

I wonder if Drink Cards are still available after the game? 8) :twisted: :lol:
I think you missed the point of the post. Melbourne (aka demons) don’t get crowds, hence not affected...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Or you missed another here,given the Demons are involved.Maybe they’re immune! :lol:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 pm Or you missed another here,given the Demons are involved.Maybe they’re immune! :lol:
How about both 😉
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I think as soon as the first player from any club comes down with 'flu-like' symptoms the comp will be suspended, not quite sure why they (the AFL) are waiting. :-({|=

They have already suspended the ressies, so what the f*** are they thinking?, are the seniors tougher, therefore more immune to it??. :roll: :oops:

Player welfare should be first and foremost, at least until some sort of remedy can be found and they can gaurantee their safety. #-o
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

So whats happening as far as coverage goes? Only able to watch it on Foxtel Sat? If you don't have Foxtel stiff poo?
Image]
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

desmondo wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:24 pm I think as soon as the first player from any club comes down with 'flu-like' symptoms the comp will be suspended, not quite sure why they (the AFL) are waiting. :-({|=

They have already suspended the ressies, so what the f*** are they thinking?, are the seniors tougher, therefore more immune to it??. :roll: :oops:

Player welfare should be first and foremost, at least until some sort of remedy can be found and they can gaurantee their safety. #-o
Already happened.......and to the Pies....hahahahaha...and too Pendelbury!!!!!!!
Image]
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Daisy..1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm So whats happening as far as coverage goes? Only able to watch it on Foxtel Sat? If you don't have Foxtel stiff poo?

If you have 7mate it`s apparently being shown, at least here in perth.

I reckon you`ll have to put up with ads between every goal though. :evil:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Doubt there will be any footy at all. Gonna get called off until further notice IMO. Perhaps whole season is goneski.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Pendlebury negative.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Season cut to 17 games.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

https://www.afl.com.au/news/385918/seas ... n-r1-start
s'dreams wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:10 pm Season cut to 17 games.
A decision on whether round one begins this Thursday night is expected in the next 24 hours.

The AFL Players Association will hold two separate briefings with AFL and AFLW players starting from 7pm AEDT on Monday night to gauge the players' stance of playing this weekend.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They’re dreamin’
Essendunny
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:01 pm It starts with broadcasters. The AFL is doing whatever it can to honor its Broadcasting Rights revenue. But now is the time for those companies to bite the bullet and waive contractual obligations and continue to honour their financial commitment. The AFL should then use the funds to support the clubs who in turn compensate out of pocket members...ie, their customers.

If Airlines can offer credit notes for cancelled flights, so to should members receive a similar compensation.

I think you will find refunds will NOT happen.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

2020 WAFL Season postponed until May 31.

If the hope is for Monday,June 1st(Foundation Day)that’d be a nice way to start.

But wishfull thinking I fear.

Geez,I guess I won’t be doing any Hornblowing at all this year. :o

That last line came out well,didn’t it?! :lol:

Apparently this decision was made for us by AWFULL House.

So,they don’t seem to trust the State Leagues to make their own call and their Rationale is what exactly?!

Whatever it is,why not follow through here,by suspending the AFL Competition during the same time frame?!

Why do I think despite the practicality of putting the season on hold,AWFULL are just being right c**** anyway? :arrow: :roll:
Last edited by grassy1 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

mdso wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:33 pm

I think you will find refunds will NOT happen.
Based on what?
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It was very strange watching last night.

What I would like to see while we can't attend is the option to watch the games from any camera angle. The option of muting the commentary would also be a brilliant feature.

There are rumours that Kayo will drop their monthly subscription cost from $25 to $2.50 to allow more people to watch games.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:28 pm
s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 pm Just announced - Gatherings of 500 people or more will be banned nationally from this coming Monday (16/3).

I guess this means that AFL matches will be called off or closed door. Given the dependence of the AFL on both gambling money and TV rights - I suspect the latter. Though Clubs and caterers will probably be seeking compensation.

I seem to recall that Channel 7 was experimenting with "digital crowds" a couple of years back ... I wonder, I wonder ...
AWFULL Will Push on,for the sake of their Broadcast Partners.Can’t have those poor dears at 7WestCoastMedia and Foxtel miss out now,can we?

Their problem may be the AFLPA,who I consider an atypical Union and not that strong,plus one that is not Villified by Right Wing Pollies and Media.

However,if the AFLPA feel strongly enough that their Health and Safety might be at Risk,the Broadcasters and AWFULL have a problem.AWFULL might whip out the old Breach of Contract threat to the players,but they would be fools to do it Publicly,if they want to Deny it(or LIE their Arses Off more like)later on.

That’s where I think it lies at the moment and AWFULL will do anything to get their way in getting the AFL Comoetition up and running.However,apart from their Under Age Run Competitions,they probably couldn’t give a Flying f*** if the State Leagues are Cancelled and possibly Die in the Arse!

The f****** Pricks!

:evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-&
The people you didn't mention are the gambling companies. We can't have them not making any money can we? The AFL will hit the club for everything they can, so they minimize their cash layout. Meaner than mean. Duty of care, my rs!
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

mdso wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am
grassy1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:28 pm
s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 pm Just announced - Gatherings of 500 people or more will be banned nationally from this coming Monday (16/3).

I guess this means that AFL matches will be called off or closed door. Given the dependence of the AFL on both gambling money and TV rights - I suspect the latter. Though Clubs and caterers will probably be seeking compensation.

I seem to recall that Channel 7 was experimenting with "digital crowds" a couple of years back ... I wonder, I wonder ...
AWFULL Will Push on,for the sake of their Broadcast Partners.Can’t have those poor dears at 7WestCoastMedia and Foxtel miss out now,can we?

Their problem may be the AFLPA,who I consider an atypical Union and not that strong,plus one that is not Villified by Right Wing Pollies and Media.

However,if the AFLPA feel strongly enough that their Health and Safety might be at Risk,the Broadcasters and AWFULL have a problem.AWFULL might whip out the old Breach of Contract threat to the players,but they would be fools to do it Publicly,if they want to Deny it(or LIE their Arses Off more like)later on.

That’s where I think it lies at the moment and AWFULL will do anything to get their way in getting the AFL Comoetition up and running.However,apart from their Under Age Run Competitions,they probably couldn’t give a Flying f*** if the State Leagues are Cancelled and possibly Die in the Arse!

The f****** Pricks!

:evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-&
The people you didn't mention are the gambling companies. We can't have them not making any money can we? The AFL will hit the fans the clubs for everything they can, so they minimize their cash layout. Meaner than mean. Duty of care, my rs!