Closed doors footy?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Closed doors footy?

Post by F111 »

GP with no spectators.
Cricket v NZ no spectators?
AFL.....?
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: Closed doors footy?

Post by BERT »

I'd be shocked if there were spectators at the footy next week.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BERT wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 am I'd be shocked if there were spectators at the footy next week.
Sadly, there are still idiots who think that only people of Chinese heritage can get COVID19. Thanks 4Chan wankers
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Just announced - Gatherings of 500 people or more will be banned nationally from this coming Monday (16/3).

I guess this means that AFL matches will be called off or closed door. Given the dependence of the AFL on both gambling money and TV rights - I suspect the latter. Though Clubs and caterers will probably be seeking compensation.

I seem to recall that Channel 7 was experimenting with "digital crowds" a couple of years back ... I wonder, I wonder ...
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

On a roll here - Just musing whether the lack of a crowd in Perth means that the Ups will be more even handed in the free kick count?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The Demons games are unaffected.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Was meant to be on a cruise tomorrow, pulled out.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

That's only the start. If one player in a team gets infected, the whole team would have to be quarantined for 2 weeks - not to mention possible physical effects on the player. Any away match would be a risk for air travel contamination too, unless we get a charter jet or a bus. Then there's the bloody driver!. It's something we couldn't have imagined in our wildest dreams but it's happening in front of our eyes. :shock: :shock:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 pm Just announced - Gatherings of 500 people or more will be banned nationally from this coming Monday (16/3).

I guess this means that AFL matches will be called off or closed door. Given the dependence of the AFL on both gambling money and TV rights - I suspect the latter. Though Clubs and caterers will probably be seeking compensation.

I seem to recall that Channel 7 was experimenting with "digital crowds" a couple of years back ... I wonder, I wonder ...
AWFULL Will Push on,for the sake of their Broadcast Partners.Can’t have those poor dears at 7WestCoastMedia and Foxtel miss out now,can we?

Their problem may be the AFLPA,who I consider an atypical Union and not that strong,plus one that is not Villified by Right Wing Pollies and Media.

However,if the AFLPA feel strongly enough that their Health and Safety might be at Risk,the Broadcasters and AWFULL have a problem.AWFULL might whip out the old Breach of Contract threat to the players,but they would be fools to do it Publicly,if they want to Deny it(or LIE their Arses Off more like)later on.

That’s where I think it lies at the moment and AWFULL will do anything to get their way in getting the AFL Comoetition up and running.However,apart from their Under Age Run Competitions,they probably couldn’t give a Flying f*** if the State Leagues are Cancelled and possibly Die in the Arse!

The f****** Pricks!

:evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-& :evil: :-&
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:20 pm The Demons games are unaffected.
Might make sense if they were Red and Black mate! :lol:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rover99 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm That's only the start. If one player in a team gets infected, the whole team would have to be quarantined for 2 weeks - not to mention possible physical effects on the player. Any away match would be a risk for air travel contamination too, unless we get a charter jet or a bus. Then there's the bloody driver!. It's something we couldn't have imagined in our wildest dreams but it's happening in front of our eyes. :shock: :shock:
Go back to "The Andromeda Strain" in about 1972 by Michael Crighton (a medical doctor writing SF ... OMG!), Outbreak (95), Contagion (2011) and most of the plots of zombie movies (remember the modelling and preparation for the zombie apocalypse in the noughties?)

Professionals actually war game for these sort of scenarios all the time. These were a hangover of the cold war, but were activated (but ultimately contained or false alarms depending on your outlook) with some historical pandemics including - the HIV/AIDS virus (the first pandemic successfully combated by these organisations largely through public education and targeted information), SARS, H1N1 (AKA Swine or American Flu), Ebola and Zika.

Sadly, somebody dropped the ball with this one - China initially playing denial politics in the beginning as has the USA over the past fortnight (would you believe that a week ago there were a total of 8 tests done in a day in the whole of the USA?).

As someone said - we are all likely to get the virus sometime over the year, but these actions are designed to slow the spread so that those in real need (ie double pneumonia patients) get hospital care and are not turned away like they are being in Italy where doctors/hospitals have been instructed to prioritise the young and allow the old to die simply because they have too many seriously afflicted turning up for treatment.

So - missing out on going to events and sport is one thing, but I think there are bigger priorities to worry about.

I'll climb off my soapbox now.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm On a roll here - Just musing whether the lack of a crowd in Perth means that the Ups will be more even handed in the free kick count?
Like the Wildcats maybe?

Big,screaming crowd of Wildcats Supporters would have scared the Shit out of Sydney more than ever I reckon.despite Kevin Lisch’s(Delisch!)Experience of being on the Right and Wrong side of “The Jungle”,wherever the venue.

Sometimes the Refs call the shots in spite of all that,but once “The Jungle”is Roaring,The Wildcats are Extremely hard to Stop>Harder than the Eagles at Perth Stadum I reckon.Yeah,yeah!The Wildcats are Red and Black and I hate those punces in the Canary suits!The fans anyway,the current players are ok guys,compared to the past.

But the Wildcats are a Beast of their Own,with the Crowd right behind them and with No crowd behind them,it made a difference,believe me!Good on Bryce Cotton in saying the Wildcats didn’t play good enough,but the lack of support behind them DID make a difference!

I had a ticket thanks to a mate and ordinarily I’d be Jumping up and down about this Game,but I think I dodged a big bullet tonight,with all due respect to my fellow Wildcats Fans.

In this current Climate,14000 Screaming supporters,packed in tight,jumping up and down,exhaling an awfull lot of Hot Air for 2 Hours,.......um,Pass!Glad the decision was taken out of my hands!

The way the week has gone work wise,working my Arse off,finishing late,I probably would have missed it anyway.But I gotta be carefull workwise and not run myself into the bloody ground. :roll: :shock: :lol:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:20 pm The Demons games are unaffected.
Might make sense if they were Red and Black mate! :lol:
There’s a difference, we still get crowds...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

What,this year?

Right now?

Behind Closed Doors?

You must know a few good ‘uns Crazyman?

I wonder if Drink Cards are still available after the game? 8) :twisted: :lol:
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

I wonder how deep the pockets go at AFL house if there are no gate takings this year and possibly half of next year till we get a vaccine? And if it does drag over to 2021, how many will renew their full years membership? This is a question many many businesses must be asking themselves right now. Who knows, we may be seeing a reduced AFL field in the future but I'm sure the faithful will dig deep at most clubs. Players' salaries may take a hit too. Style of play might even change a bit: big kicking games on the cards and less bodily contact - blood rule strictly enforced. The mind boggles. It probably depends on how deadly and prevalent the disease actually gets, as the year goes on.
Then theres the other possibility that it all suddenly dies in the arse like SARS did - pray for that!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It’s a relatively mild disease for 81% of the population, but a severe case for around 15% and a lethal case for around 4% (figures constantly changing). Those with compromised immune systems are at high risk.

The action being taken is to slow the spread down so that our health system can cope with the cases. Having so many contract it at the one time would be disastrous for our health system. It’s a responsible thing to do.

Most of us (if we contract it), will fight to off with no issue at all. The elderly, and those with other health complications will struggle. That’s who we’re trying to protect.

I couldn’t care less about the AFL or the clubs because of lost revenue. The game is loaded. There are many businesses and people in general who are on the brink. People requesting refunds on tickets and memberships (for games not attended) should be given their money back. This “but it’s like a donation, how dare you ask for it back” mentality is frog shit.

Anyway, practise good hygiene, boost your immune system with good foods and drinks, and enjoy the great outdoors if you can.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 am It’s a relatively mild disease for 81% of the population, but a severe case for around 15% and a lethal case for around 4% (figures constantly changing). Those with compromised immune systems are at high risk.

The action being taken is to slow the spread down so that our health system can cope with the cases. Having so many contract it at the one time would be disastrous for our health system. It’s a responsible thing to do.

Most of us (if we contract it), will fight to off with no issue at all. The elderly, and those with other health complications will struggle. That’s who we’re trying to protect.

I couldn’t care less about the AFL or the clubs because of lost revenue. The game is loaded. There are many businesses and people in general who are on the brink. People requesting refunds on tickets and memberships (for games not attended) should be given their money back. This “but it’s like a donation, how dare you ask for it back” mentality is frog shit.

Sure,if they ask for it,they should have their Refunds back.But if people are worried about their Clubs(maybe more so at a lower level of footy),then by all means donate if you want to.Whether people do or don’t is their business.

My Club has a Fund,but that can’t be touched with the required Vote of the Membership.Only 5% of the Membership need attend if there are any worries about a Crowd,the rest can be done through a Postal Vote.I guess other Clubs won’t have that luxury,but I’ve come to Terms with the possibility of No Footy in 2020.Whip out the old Footy Videos!

Anyway, practise good hygiene, boost your immune system with good foods and drinks, and enjoy the great outdoors if you can.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

It starts with broadcasters. The AFL is doing whatever it can to honor its Broadcasting Rights revenue. But now is the time for those companies to bite the bullet and waive contractual obligations and continue to honour their financial commitment. The AFL should then use the funds to support the clubs who in turn compensate out of pocket members...ie, their customers.

If Airlines can offer credit notes for cancelled flights, so to should members receive a similar compensation.

But it has to start at the top of the food chain.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:01 pm It starts with broadcasters. The AFL is doing whatever it can to honor its Broadcasting Rights revenue. But now is the time for those companies to bite the bullet and waive contractual obligations and continue to honour their financial commitment. The AFL should then use the funds to support the clubs who in turn compensate out of pocket members...ie, their customers.

If Airlines can offer credit notes for cancelled flights, so to should members receive a similar compensation.

But it has to start at the top of the food chain.
Yep
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Speaking of contagion movies anyone see that old flick called The Omega Man with Anthony Zerbe and Charlton Heston? I think it’s also since been remade. The footage of deserted cities is very reminiscent of what’s going on now.

People are worried and anxious with reason especially in terms of how to support their families if there is a lengthy shutdown soon.

The footy will be just weird without crowds. Maybe the season will simply be abandoned.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber